Northwestern Law Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
tipler4213

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby tipler4213 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:04 pm

src42 wrote:Anyone know if the scholarship/deposit agreement is binding? I want to deposit tomorrow but I still haven't heard from a couple schools and I'm waiting to hear about $ from another.

My reading of the letter is that you can double-deposit all you want.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:05 pm

src42 wrote:Anyone know if the scholarship/deposit agreement is binding? I want to deposit tomorrow but I still haven't heard from a couple schools and I'm waiting to hear about $ from another.

I think it's only binding in the sense that it's non-refundable.

src42

Postby src42 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:49 pm

Yep, that's what I was thinking. Just wanted to check since there's all this talk about binding deposits at other schools floating around here. Wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

jfb

Postby jfb » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:28 pm

Does anyone who attended ASW care to weigh in on the career services presentation?? How was it?? Did they talk about what they do to help make the degree more portable if you do not plan on working in the midwest?

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:01 pm

jfb wrote:Does anyone who attended ASW care to weigh in on the career services presentation?? How was it?? Did they talk about what they do to help make the degree more portable if you do not plan on working in the midwest?

I felt fine about it. I didn't expect anything other than what I got, which was a decent talk about how Northwestern helps you find your job (3 career counselors + a PI + an LLM counselor, you can't talk to them until Dec. 1 per NALP rules, OCI exists, etc) and where people go (everywhere).

A Northwestern degree already is pretty portable, honestly. Seems to me that the midwestern T14s put a lot of students all over the country. I have no idea how much of this is self selection though.

Bill did talk about how, when they saw that they had a larger than usual volume of California applicants a few years ago, they went on the road to visit some Californian firms and let them know what Northwestern is all about. He says this kind of targeted road show has a meaningful impact on firms' likelihood to come to OCI, if they didn't already. Also, registration for OCI this fall is up compared to last year.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:23 am

Bumi wrote:
jfb wrote:Does anyone who attended ASW care to weigh in on the career services presentation?? How was it?? Did they talk about what they do to help make the degree more portable if you do not plan on working in the midwest?

I felt fine about it. I didn't expect anything other than what I got, which was a decent talk about how Northwestern helps you find your job (3 career counselors + a PI + an LLM counselor, you can't talk to them until Dec. 1 per NALP rules, OCI exists, etc) and where people go (everywhere).

A Northwestern degree already is pretty portable, honestly. Seems to me that the midwestern T14s put a lot of students all over the country. I have no idea how much of this is self selection though.

Bill did talk about how, when they saw that they had a larger than usual volume of California applicants a few years ago, they went on the road to visit some Californian firms and let them know what Northwestern is all about. He says this kind of targeted road show has a meaningful impact on firms' likelihood to come to OCI, if they didn't already. Also, registration for OCI this fall is up compared to last year.

That more or less covers it. I got the sense that Bill wasn't trying to hide the recent economic challenges.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:26 am

Bumi wrote:

Pretty much what I got out of it. (I definitely did not get the omission that NU is "a small school trying to stay afloat" or whatever that strange NU vs. UMich thread claimed. I guess people's impressions will always vary, but that was bizarre.)

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:32 am

rinkrat19 wrote:NU is "a small school trying to stay afloat" or whatever

That's funny. If true, then what the hell is Cornell?

edit: Just found that thread. I think I was in all of the presentations the person was criticizing. You have to go where you feel comfortable, but it's silly to criticize the financial aid person for having a baby.
Last edited by Bumi on Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

SMA22

Postby SMA22 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:42 am

I had to laugh that anyone would surmise being told, "I'm not an expert on that program, try talking to so-and-so about it," would mean that a school were struggling. I'd rather someone be honest with me about their ability to discuss a program than try to sell me smoke and mirrors.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:52 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Bumi wrote:

Pretty much what I got out of it. (I definitely did not get the omission that NU is "a small school trying to stay afloat" or whatever that strange NU vs. UMich thread claimed. I guess people's impressions will always vary, but that was bizarre.)

I must've missed that thread. I do tend to vote for NU whenever it comes up in polls though, so maybe I missed it due to NU blindness

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:53 am

homestyle28 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Bumi wrote:

I must've missed that thread. I do tend to vote for NU whenever it comes up in polls though, so maybe I missed it due to NU blindness

It's natural to want to continually validate our choice of NU by convincing other people it's as awesome as we think it is. :)

I just realized my phone's autocorrect replaced 'impression' with 'omission.' I think I need to quit using Swype typing...I can't get through a single sentence without multiple wrong words.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:37 pm

Just withdrew, hardest thing I had to do in awhile.

Wish you all the best!

jman77

Postby jman77 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:51 pm

ArchRoark wrote:Just withdrew, hardest thing I had to do in awhile.

Wish you all the best!

Same here, it was a very tough call. Good luck all!

WhirledWorld

Postby WhirledWorld » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:02 pm

Just withdrew, freeing up $120k for some of you guys. Would've been great being your classmates! Best of luck to you all!

Aine

Postby Aine » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:30 pm

WhirledWorld wrote:Just withdrew, freeing up $120k for some of you guys. Would've been great being your classmates! Best of luck to you all!

Ah sadly I just got the "officially no money for you" email. Oh well. Had already committed anyway!

I'm really excited to meet all of you though!

animalcrkrs

Postby animalcrkrs » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:14 pm

Not sure if this is already posted b/c I'm too lazy and bearing down on finals to scroll through pages of posts, but the NU Law Housing Survey (student survey of housing options etc.) is posted on the admitted student website (scroll to bottom of main page of admitted students site to find the PDF link)

https://www.law.northwestern.edu/newstudent/

This is the same survey we distributed at Day at Northwestern Law, so if you want a digital copy or you didn't get to come to DANL, enjoy. It has Streeterville building and other neighborhood reviews, recommended realtors etc.

Horsefeathers

Postby Horsefeathers » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:13 am

Just curious Aine, what does the official "no money for you" email look like???

Aine

Postby Aine » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:46 pm

Horsefeathers wrote:Just curious Aine, what does the official "no money for you" email look like???

It looks sad :(

It's almost the exact same email they sent before. I asked to remain under consideration for financial aid (until after the scholarship deadline) and since the deadline has past, they wrote me telling me that there is no aid available:

"We are writing to inform you that we have allocated and exhausted all available scholarship and grant funding for this year. Scholarships and financial aid is a tremendously difficult matter. Every year, we have many more deserving students than we have funds available and this year is no exception. I am sorry to say that we will be unable to provide you with any scholarship/grant funding..." etc etc.

I forwarded the email to my parents and they suggested I take the LSAT again, reapply to schools, and see if someone will give me money.

*facepalm*

Horsefeathers

Postby Horsefeathers » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:03 pm

I hear you Aine. I'm in a similar boat with regard to Northwestern, I just never got the closure of the "all allocated" email...

Now I'm wondering if it was a mistake not to specifically contact them and ask that I remain under consideration. This seems gratuitous, no?

Aine

Postby Aine » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:54 am

Horsefeathers wrote:I hear you Aine. I'm in a similar boat with regard to Northwestern, I just never got the closure of the "all allocated" email...

Now I'm wondering if it was a mistake not to specifically contact them and ask that I remain under consideration. This seems gratuitous, no?

I don't think it's gratuitous.

I wanted (and needed) to know that I had done everything I could to secure financial aid for next year. I actually wrote them a letter explaining why I needed aid (some circumstances have changed since I first applied for aid last year) but it didn't seem to do me any good.

Despite Johann's hilariously snarky tweets, I actually think everyone in the admissions/financial aid office is really nice and understanding, and if you haven't heard from them in a few days I think it would be okay to send a polite email inquiring about the status of your financial aid package.

Good luck :)

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:08 am

Does anyone have an apartment yet? It seems like no one knows availability more than 60 days in advance.

Flustercluck

Postby Flustercluck » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:35 pm

Bumi wrote:Does anyone have an apartment yet? It seems like no one knows availability more than 60 days in advance.

I got one, but I'm moving mid July. McClurg has some availability already, when I contacted them they gave me listings opening up in July and in August.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:58 pm

Bumi wrote:Does anyone have an apartment yet? It seems like no one knows availability more than 60 days in advance.

My roommate and I are hunting now, but his lease is up at the end of June, so it's a little different. He's seeing some places this week that we hope will work out :)

eliekedourie

Postby eliekedourie » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:09 am

Last edited by eliekedourie on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aine

Postby Aine » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:55 pm

eliekedourie wrote:It certainly helps to be living with a s/o.

Sigh.

Unfortunately I don't think my "date me so we can live together and take the edge off some of my immense and impending law school debt" pick up line will be very successful.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”