Northwestern Law Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
homestyle28

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:27 am

whathojeeves wrote:Anyone know who we should contact about financial aid now that she's on maternity leave? (Also, since Johann clearly reads this, tell her congrats from TLS :-))

I'd imagine you can just use the priority email address for admitted students on the admit page.

ArghItsBlarg wrote:Yeah, she's on her leave now. I got her vacation message when I contacted her yesterday.

Homestyle - I just asked specifically about increases in cost of living for daycare and the like. I was told that they are made "at the discretion of the central fin aid office within federal financial aid regulations." Sounds like a case-by-case basis.

Given what I've read/heard about childcare costs, it's hard to imagine them turning you down for at least some bump, personally I'm hoping I can borrow an extra 6k/year for childcare costs, at least for the first year.

betsyclaire

Postby betsyclaire » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:11 am

whathojeeves wrote:Anyone know who we should contact about financial aid now that she's on maternity leave? (Also, since Johann clearly reads this, tell her congrats from TLS :-))

When I received the scholarship email from Jill, she included a note saying to direct questions to admissions@nlaw.northwestern.edu while she is on maternity leave. I wonder what the baby's name is--Johann said the initials are BJD. Congratulations Jill!

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:16 am

homestyle28 wrote:

I'd imagine you can just use the priority email address for admitted students on the admit page.

ArghItsBlarg wrote:Yeah, she's on her leave now. I got her vacation message when I contacted her yesterday.

Homestyle - I just asked specifically about increases in cost of living for daycare and the like. I was told that they are made "at the discretion of the central fin aid office within federal financial aid regulations." Sounds like a case-by-case basis.

Given what I've read/heard about childcare costs, it's hard to imagine them turning you down for at least some bump, personally I'm hoping I can borrow an extra 6k/year for childcare costs, at least for the first year.

I'm sure you'll also be able to find responsible, experienced young people (ahem) to babysit for you :-D

gov

Postby gov » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:18 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
I'm sure you'll also be able to find responsible, experienced young people (ahem) to babysit for you :-D

Me me me...if I get in!

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:20 am

govorett wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:

Me me me...if I get in!

Chill out there, gov, I got dibs ;-) j/k. You can babysit all the ones over five!

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:22 am

govorett wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:

Me me me...if I get in!

Gov, I think if nothing else you should be our au-pair...live in our basement, watch the kid and study for the LSAT. In exchange you will receive food and shelter, and I promise not to walk around the house in my underwear.

gov

Postby gov » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:25 am

homestyle28 wrote:
govorett wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:

Me me me...if I get in!

Gov, I think if nothing else you should be our au-pair...live in our basement, watch the kid and study for the LSAT. In exchange you will receive food and shelter, and I promise not to walk around the house in my underwear.

deal.

broggi007

Postby broggi007 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:43 pm

Quick Question... did anyone receive some sort of verification email when you signed up for ASW? I signed up a few weeks ago but never heard anything. The deadline is tomorrow so I wanted to double check with you all to see if I need to sign up again.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:55 pm

broggi007 wrote:Quick Question... did anyone receive some sort of verification email when you signed up for ASW? I signed up a few weeks ago but never heard anything. The deadline is tomorrow so I wanted to double check with you all to see if I need to sign up again.

I didn't receive a confirmation. My hunch is that if someone who forgot to register showed up, they'd be ok with it.

betsyclaire

Postby betsyclaire » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:13 pm

broggi007 wrote:Quick Question... did anyone receive some sort of verification email when you signed up for ASW? I signed up a few weeks ago but never heard anything. The deadline is tomorrow so I wanted to double check with you all to see if I need to sign up again.

I didn't receive a confirmation email but I did receive an email on 3/29 re: student hosting for ASW.

bryanhan

Postby bryanhan » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:12 pm

Hi, everyone. Just joined the thread! (How did I miss TLS Class of 2014 Forum? It's too down there...)

I am very much highly likely to attend NW this fall. I only have to stop being torn between NW and Cornell for over two months. I am abroad and it's too bad that I cannot choose one after actually visiting the schools. Anyway, I wanted to say hi to you all and congrats! :)

Aine

Postby Aine » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:41 am

bryanhan wrote:I am very much highly likely to attend NW this fall. I only have to stop being torn between NW and Cornell for over two months. I am abroad and it's too bad that I cannot choose one after actually visiting the schools. Anyway, I wanted to say hi to you all and congrats! :)

Northwestern!! Obviously! :) Cornell is a great school and has a beautiful beautiful campus but as someone who has been to both cities (and both schools), I can tell you Chicago > Ithaca.

Welcome to the thread, friend.

Also:

bryanhan

Postby bryanhan » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:51 am

Aine wrote:
bryanhan wrote:I am very much highly likely to attend NW this fall. I only have to stop being torn between NW and Cornell for over two months. I am abroad and it's too bad that I cannot choose one after actually visiting the schools. Anyway, I wanted to say hi to you all and congrats! :)

Northwestern!! Obviously! :) Cornell is a great school and has a beautiful beautiful campus but as someone who has been to both cities (and both schools), I can tell you Chicago > Ithaca.

Welcome to the thread, friend.

Also:

Hahaha, thanks, Aine! Obviously, I can't have that in Ithaca.

Maybe posting in this thread, I have subconsciously wanted to hear what you just said. ;) Plus, when someone from both places is saying, it's indeed even more convincing. Thanks, again!

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:04 am

Mailed off my final seat deposit and scholly acceptance form this morning...now to take a lot of nyquil and hibernate until August 1st.

bryanhan

Postby bryanhan » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:21 am

homestyle28 wrote:Mailed off my final seat deposit and scholly acceptance form this morning...now to take a lot of nyquil and hibernate until August 1st.

Great! I gotta do that soon...

Aine

Postby Aine » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:43 am

bryanhan wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:Mailed off my final seat deposit and scholly acceptance form this morning...now to take a lot of nyquil and hibernate until August 1st.

Great! I gotta do that soon...

You said you're abroad yeah? Where are you?

jman77

Postby jman77 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:46 am

Looking forward to meeting those who will be attending the ASW next week!

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:00 pm

jman77 wrote:Looking forward to meeting those who will be attending the ASW next week!

Looking forward to awkwardly introducing myself and trying to figure out who's on TLS or not :)

src42

Postby src42 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:13 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
jman77 wrote:Looking forward to meeting those who will be attending the ASW next week!

Looking forward to awkwardly introducing myself and trying to figure out who's on TLS or not :)
We need a TLS code. Everyone wear orange.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:20 pm

Are any of you on the FB group page? I met a couple of TLS'ers at another school's ASW and recognized them from FB.

Or, we could just go with the codes... :D

Edit: We outed our TLS identities on the FB page.
Last edited by jman77 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:22 pm

homestyle28 wrote:

Make sure you have drinks with the students after Wigmore Follies. Also: ATTEND WIGMORE FOLLIES.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:27 pm

bjsesq wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

Make sure you have drinks with the students after Wigmore Follies. Also: ATTEND WIGMORE FOLLIES.

So wish I could, hanging with local family at night though :(

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:30 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

So wish I could, hanging with local family at night though :(

:|

They can come too.

Aine

Postby Aine » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:39 pm

src42 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

We need a TLS code. Everyone wear orange.

Oh I wish I could go!...although I'm super awkward about meeting people that I've talked to on the Internetz so maybe it's for the best? I enjoyed it last year. For me it was the clinics that sold me butttt Wigmore Follies was pretty sweet too.

src42

Postby src42 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:50 pm

Aine wrote: I'm super awkward about meeting people that I've talked to on the Internetz so maybe it's for the best?
Yeah, I imagine the conversations go something like this:

TLS person: Oh, so you're src42! Cool!
Me: Yep.
TLS person: Your avatar is a kitten. Is that your kitten?
Me: Nope, just a cute kitten.
TLS person: Haha, well...cool.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”