Northwestern Law Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby bdubs » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:04 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:So, yeah, no scholarships for me. I was a sad panda.

However, through circumstances which I don't yet feel privy to share in public, but which I will simply describe as "unprecedented and awesome," I've been offered a substantial scholarship if I transfer into the Accelerated JD program.

This, however, means that I'd start full time school in the middle of May, something I was definitely NOT prepared to do. We're making some serious reality checks right now.


Wow you are the second TLS poster to have been offered this. They must really be having a hard time filling that program (since it is not that big to begin with).

User avatar
Aine
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:54 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Aine » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:37 am

ArghItsBlarg wrote:
However, through circumstances which I don't yet feel privy to share in public, but which I will simply describe as "unprecedented and awesome," I've been offered a substantial scholarship if I transfer into the Accelerated JD program.
.


Um best.description.ever.

Congrats to you! I say take it. Definitely some downsides to the program (starting in May?! working through summers?!) BUT a substantial scholarship is a substantial scholarship. You'll still have a JD from NU. Which is a good thing no matter how you slice it.

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:18 pm

Just had a chat with my roommate to be, and we're going to be paying $550 or $600/month next year. :D I can live with that!

Edit: What cell phone service works well in that general area? I have Verizon on a deferment while I'm abroad, and I need to tell them soon if I'll be keeping the plan or not.

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Bumi » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:29 am

Does the COA include the cost of protective winter clothing designed for the arctic north?

User avatar
Aine
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:54 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Aine » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:06 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Just had a chat with my roommate to be, and we're going to be paying $550 or $600/month next year. :D I can live with that!

Edit: What cell phone service works well in that general area? I have Verizon on a deferment while I'm abroad, and I need to tell them soon if I'll be keeping the plan or not.


Where are you living that it's that cheap?!

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:17 am

Aine wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:Just had a chat with my roommate to be, and we're going to be paying $550 or $600/month next year. :D I can live with that!

Edit: What cell phone service works well in that general area? I have Verizon on a deferment while I'm abroad, and I need to tell them soon if I'll be keeping the plan or not.


Where are you living that it's that cheap?!


The area is called Wicker Park, I think. It's a 3 minute walk to the 66 stop and 17 minutes on the bus to campus (according to google maps).

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby homestyle28 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:02 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Just had a chat with my roommate to be, and we're going to be paying $550 or $600/month next year. :D I can live with that!

Edit: What cell phone service works well in that general area? I have Verizon on a deferment while I'm abroad, and I need to tell them soon if I'll be keeping the plan or not.


My bro & sis in law live in the western Chicago burbs, but work downtown...she has ATT he has Verizon, he is constantly teasing her about her dropped calls. My understanding is that ATTs Chicago network is seriously overloaded. Who knows how the iphone will impact Verizon in the future...

ArghItsBlarg
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:09 am

With respect to cell coverage, AT&T had kind of iffy service for us back in 2003-04 and were near Evanston. It got better when we moved out to the suburbs, but still nothing to write home about. I've had T-mobile since... '08 or so, certainly as long as I've been commuting into the City, and it's rare (but not never) that I ever get a dropped call. I can't speak to their data plan as I'm cheap. AT&T and Verizon are pretty overloaded. Sprint is supposed to have a strong presence around here, but I can't back that up anecdotally or factually, just via hearsay.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13917
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:46 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:With respect to cell coverage, AT&T had kind of iffy service for us back in 2003-04 and were near Evanston. It got better when we moved out to the suburbs, but still nothing to write home about. I've had T-mobile since... '08 or so, certainly as long as I've been commuting into the City, and it's rare (but not never) that I ever get a dropped call. I can't speak to their data plan as I'm cheap. AT&T and Verizon are pretty overloaded. Sprint is supposed to have a strong presence around here, but I can't back that up anecdotally or factually, just via hearsay.


Oh good, I just re-upped with Sprint to get the Evo (love it). I've already had to break a Verizon contract (before they reduced the ETF, of course) once when I moved to a coverage hole, the existence of which Verizon denied.

cubswin
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby cubswin » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:59 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Aine wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:Just had a chat with my roommate to be, and we're going to be paying $550 or $600/month next year. :D I can live with that!

Edit: What cell phone service works well in that general area? I have Verizon on a deferment while I'm abroad, and I need to tell them soon if I'll be keeping the plan or not.


Where are you living that it's that cheap?!


The area is called Wicker Park, I think. It's a 3 minute walk to the 66 stop and 17 minutes on the bus to campus (according to google maps).


Hopefully, you don't mind hipsters.

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:41 pm

cubswin wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Aine wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:Just had a chat with my roommate to be, and we're going to be paying $550 or $600/month next year. :D I can live with that!

Edit: What cell phone service works well in that general area? I have Verizon on a deferment while I'm abroad, and I need to tell them soon if I'll be keeping the plan or not.


Where are you living that it's that cheap?!


The area is called Wicker Park, I think. It's a 3 minute walk to the 66 stop and 17 minutes on the bus to campus (according to google maps).


Hopefully, you don't mind hipsters.


Well, they're not my preferred social scene, but a lack/presence of them is not a major consideration in housing.

User avatar
Aine
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:54 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Aine » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:55 am

Came across this during my daily perusal of news/legal blogs: http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leiter/2011/03/reflections-on-the-van-zandt-era-at-northwestern-an-interview-with-ronald-j-allen.html

I don't have an opinion on DVZ either way (for the obvious reason that, as I've never been a student at NU law, I don't know enough about how his policies affected the school) --but I thought it was an interesting read nonetheless.

Thought you all might be interested as well!

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:41 am

Aine wrote:Came across this during my daily perusal of news/legal blogs: http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leiter/2011/03/reflections-on-the-van-zandt-era-at-northwestern-an-interview-with-ronald-j-allen.html

I don't have an opinion on DVZ either way (for the obvious reason that, as I've never been a student at NU law, I don't know enough about how his policies affected the school) --but I thought it was an interesting read nonetheless.

Thought you all might be interested as well!


Interesting read. Thanks. It's hard to know how this might resonate among faculty at NU...also seems like he's only concerned with the Dean's impact on the faculty, not so much concerned with students and their job placement...it would be interesting to see a point- counterpoint with someone who likes what DVZ did.

tipler4213
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 11:16 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby tipler4213 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:42 am

Just for clarity's sake--does everyone else read NU's financial aid offers as non-binding? As in, I can pay the deposit and accept their offer of admission but remain pending/waitlisted/accepted at other schools if I am willing to potentially lose $750?

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:52 am

tipler4213 wrote:Just for clarity's sake--does everyone else read NU's financial aid offers as non-binding? As in, I can pay the deposit and accept their offer of admission but remain pending/waitlisted/accepted at other schools if I am willing to potentially lose $750?


I think this is definitely the case. You can back out at the cost of $750.

ArghItsBlarg
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:40 am

For those offered scholarships - Did any of you have GPA requirements? I've read and re-read my letter and it doesn't mention any level of grade maintenance.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby bdubs » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:41 am

ArghItsBlarg wrote:For those offered scholarships - Did any of you have GPA requirements? I've read and re-read my letter and it doesn't mention any level of grade maintenance.


I am pretty sure NU doesn't offer scholarships with any stipulations other than good standing (i.e. not failing out).

IIRC none of the T14 schools use stipulations on their scholarships.

dddhhh
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby dddhhh » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:44 am

So is the consensus that if you received the loan package email but no scholarship/grant notification you are paying sticker?

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:04 am

dddhhh wrote:So is the consensus that if you received the loan package email but no scholarship/grant notification you are paying sticker?

That would certainly be my take

dddhhh
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby dddhhh » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:21 am

homestyle28 wrote:
dddhhh wrote:So is the consensus that if you received the loan package email but no scholarship/grant notification you are paying sticker?

That would certainly be my take



I figured that too, just wanted to see if anyone had since gotten that "no more money" email.

ArghItsBlarg
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:53 pm

I never got the "out of money" email, just the "here's your 70k in loans" email. I called and confirmed that I wasn't getting any scholarship.

User avatar
xtine
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby xtine » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:08 pm

arg! where is my email? :(

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:17 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:I never got the "out of money" email, just the "here's your 70k in loans" email. I called and confirmed that I wasn't getting any scholarship.


Ironically, I got the "here is you 70k in loans email" after getting my "here's your tiny scholly" email...not that I'm complaining! I just can't wait to ask them at ASW if you can borrow EVEN MOAR MONEY for child care costs!

FWIW word on the street is that Jill the finaid person had her baby yesterday and has begun maternity leave.

ArghItsBlarg
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:37 pm

Yeah, she's on her leave now. I got her vacation message when I contacted her yesterday.

Homestyle - I just asked specifically about increases in cost of living for daycare and the like. I was told that they are made "at the discretion of the central fin aid office within federal financial aid regulations." Sounds like a case-by-case basis.

User avatar
whathojeeves
Posts: 489
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:39 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby whathojeeves » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:05 pm

Anyone know who we should contact about financial aid now that she's on maternity leave? (Also, since Johann clearly reads this, tell her congrats from TLS :-))




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest