Northwestern Law Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
homestyle28

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:26 pm

Aine wrote:
Bumi wrote:
SMA22 wrote:I don't know what to do--I really want to attend NU, but I got a full ride to UIUC. I'm just going to have to sleep on this a bit. I said I'd do anything to attend NU, but wow, that's a shitload of debt. (Insert deep breath here.)

What if we have lots of pot luck dinners? Or like a bake sale?

Also I make a meaaaan brownie. This idea has got potential.

I would imagine a stand on Mich. Ave staffed by LS students, selling lemonade and baked goods would do some bank...I'm in.

SMA22

Postby SMA22 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:38 pm

Down for a bake sale, big time.

Fuster--totally there with you re quitting. I was definitely looking forward to some playtime this summer :(

Anyway, I'll be checking out apartments next weekend in Streeter for those of you who are interested and will post some photos. If any of you guys want me to check someplace out for you, let me know.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:41 pm

SMA22 wrote:Anyway, I'll be checking out apartments next weekend in Streeter for those of you who are interested and will post some photos. If any of you guys want me to check someplace out for you, let me know.

I'd love to know what the price/quality/size situation is. Are you looking at 1br? Studios?

Definitely check out the challenges/questions thread for ideas of places to see where a lot of students live.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:43 pm

SMA22 wrote:Down for a bake sale, big time.

Fuster--totally there with you re quitting. I was definitely looking forward to some playtime this summer :(

Anyway, I'll be checking out apartments next weekend in Streeter for those of you who are interested and will post some photos. If any of you guys want me to check someplace out for you, let me know.

Does this mean you've decided against becoming a townie?

SMA22

Postby SMA22 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:48 pm

Bumi wrote:
SMA22 wrote:Anyway, I'll be checking out apartments next weekend in Streeter for those of you who are interested and will post some photos. If any of you guys want me to check someplace out for you, let me know.

I'd love to know what the price/quality/size situation is. Are you looking at 1br? Studios?

Definitely check out the challenges/questions thread for ideas of places to see where a lot of students live.

Size is a huge concern for me, as I have an apartment full of furniture right now and also have a dog that needs space to roam around. I'm going to be looking at both studios and 1 bedrooms; I live on the N. Side now, but I'd prefer to at least start off near campus for my first year.

I guess the majority of the 1Ls traditionally live in Streeterville, and by 3L many have moved into cheaper hoods. One of the current students told me a lot of people live in Uptown. I personally lived there for two years and would never move back--safety was a bit of an issue up there, at least from a girl's perspective. I'm guessing a lot of people are also out in Wicker Park and Lakeview.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:49 pm

SMA22 wrote:
Bumi wrote:

Size is a huge concern for me, as I have an apartment full of furniture right now and also have a dog that needs space to roam around. I'm going to be looking at both studios and 1 bedrooms; I live on the N. Side now, but I'd prefer to at least start off near campus for my first year.

I guess the majority of the 1Ls traditionally live in Streeterville, and by 3L many have moved into cheaper hoods. One of the current students told me a lot of people live in Uptown. I personally lived there for two years and would never move back--safety was a bit of an issue up there, at least from a girl's perspective. I'm guessing a lot of people are also out in Wicker Park and Lakeview.

that's what I've heard.

SMA22

Postby SMA22 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:51 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
SMA22 wrote:
Bumi wrote:

that's what I've heard.

Yeah, both are happening areas and affordable. I am in Lakeview now, and it's affordable and a nice area. Lots of friends in Wicked Park...

SMA22

Postby SMA22 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:52 pm

cubswin wrote:

Does this mean you've decided against becoming a townie?

My father used to have a saying--God created hell on earth, and he called it Urbana Champaign...

I know, I shouldn't be mean about it, but I did my four years in a college town for undergrad--definitely not the best fit.

Flustercluck

Postby Flustercluck » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:55 pm

Bumi wrote:

The prices are steep in Streeterville, but the way I figure it, if I'm taking out 77K in loans for year one alone, I might as well pay an extra 3-4k to live near campus.

I actually checked out (listed in order of cost) 860 DeWitt, Lakeview Plaza, McClurg, and 420 Ohio when I was there for Diverse Admit Weekend. Didn't get a chance to check out Onterie or The Streeter (Both out of even my adjusted my price range) but if anyone has questions feel free to fire away...

Basically price/quality/size are all directly correlated in the order they are listed, although McClurg definitely had the best gym/rec center.

If anyone has any more specific questions feel free to ask...

Flustercluck

Postby Flustercluck » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:01 pm

[quote="SMA22]Size is a huge concern for me, as I have an apartment full of furniture right now and also have a dog that needs space to roam around. I'm going to be looking at both studios and 1 bedrooms; I live on the N. Side now, but I'd prefer to at least start off near campus for my first year.[/quote]

As far as size goes, 860 Dewitt has huge one bedrooms. Trade-off is that it's definitely one of the older buildings in the area. Lakeview Plaza's units were a little tight if you have an animal. 420 Ohio has good size convertables and one bedrooms, and actually is very dog friendly, I'd definitely recommend checking it out...

*edited for quotefail
*edited for edit fail :(
Last edited by Flustercluck on Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SMA22

Postby SMA22 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:05 pm

Flustercluck wrote:[quote="SMA22Size is a huge concern for me, as I have an apartment full of furniture right now and also have a dog that needs space to roam around. I'm going to be looking at both studios and 1 bedrooms; I live on the N. Side now, but I'd prefer to at least start off near campus for my first year.

As far as size goes, 860 Dewitt has huge one bedrooms. Trade-off is that it's definitely one of the older buildings in the area. Lakeview Plaza's units were a little tight if you have an animal. 420 Ohio has good size convertables and one bedrooms, and actually is very dog friendly, I'd definitely recommend checking it out...[/quote]

Thanks, Fuster :D There's also a condo building on Ohio that's known for being very dog-friendly I'm going to look at. We shall see...

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:05 pm

Flustercluck wrote:[quote="SMA22Size is a huge concern for me, as I have an apartment full of furniture right now and also have a dog that needs space to roam around. I'm going to be looking at both studios and 1 bedrooms; I live on the N. Side now, but I'd prefer to at least start off near campus for my first year.

As far as size goes, 860 Dewitt has huge one bedrooms. Trade-off is that it's definitely one of the older buildings in the area. Lakeview Plaza's units were a little tight if you have an animal. 420 Ohio has good size convertables and one bedrooms, and actually is very dog friendly, I'd definitely recommend checking it out...[/quote]

What's a 2 bedroom go for in that building? Any idea?

Flustercluck

Postby Flustercluck » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:11 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Flustercluck wrote:[

I want to say the one bedrooms were like 1400-1500, I'll got all their info so I can double check. If I remember correctly their one bedroom was like 1000 sqft...

Aine

Postby Aine » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:14 pm

Please do post photos!! That would be wonderful!!

If you get a chance, or if you see one, can you post a photo of one of the "convertible apartments?" I have no idea what they actually look like inside and the floor plans confuse me...

Otherwise I'd just love to see more photos of all these buildings everyone is discussing. I only know of McClurg and Onterie, and I've only see what I can find on the Internet. Any pics would be great. :)

SMA22

Postby SMA22 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:18 pm

Aine wrote:

Please do post photos!! That would be wonderful!!

If you get a chance, or if you see one, can you post a photo of one of the "convertible apartments?" I have no idea what they actually look like inside and the floor plans confuse me...

Otherwise I'd just love to see more photos of all these buildings everyone is discussing. I only know of McClurg and Onterie, and I've only see what I can find on the Internet. Any pics would be great. :)

Be glad to post photos--sometimes the model looks like one thing, and you get there and think, no bueno... My ex had a convertible apartment, they aren't too bad usually. You can open the wall up for a full studio or close it for the one bedroom feel. If your bedroom looks like my bedroom, you'd keep it closed... Dog toys and clothes everywhere...

src42

Postby src42 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:20 pm

This thread is fun today. I'm getting excited about NU...wish I could move sooner!

Aine

Postby Aine » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:23 pm

SMA22 wrote:Be glad to post photos--sometimes the model looks like one thing, and you get there and think, no bueno... My ex had a convertible apartment, they aren't too bad usually. You can open the wall up for a full studio or close it for the one bedroom feel. If your bedroom looks like my bedroom, you'd keep it closed... Dog toys and clothes everywhere...

Thanks so much! I'm still not even sure how I'm going to get an apartment from abroad, but this will be a step in the right direction!!

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:24 pm

src42 wrote:This thread is fun today. I'm getting excited about NU...wish I could move sooner!

This

SMA22

Postby SMA22 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:24 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
src42 wrote:This thread is fun today. I'm getting excited about NU...wish I could move sooner!

This

Flustercluck

Postby Flustercluck » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:32 pm

SMA22 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

This

That!

manyu

Postby manyu » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:36 pm

Flustercluck wrote:
Bumi wrote:

The prices are steep in Streeterville, but the way I figure it, if I'm taking out 77K in loans for year one alone, I might as well pay an extra 3-4k to live near campus.

I actually checked out (listed in order of cost) 860 DeWitt, Lakeview Plaza, McClurg, and 420 Ohio when I was there for Diverse Admit Weekend. Didn't get a chance to check out Onterie or The Streeter (Both out of even my adjusted my price range) but if anyone has questions feel free to fire away...

Basically price/quality/size are all directly correlated in the order they are listed, although McClurg definitely had the best gym/rec center.

Is 860 DeWitt most expensive, or least expensive?

Flustercluck

Postby Flustercluck » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:40 pm

manyu wrote:
Flustercluck wrote:
Bumi wrote:

Is 860 DeWitt most expensive, or least expensive?

Least-ish... that is to say, their one beroom is slightly more than some of Lakeview Lakeshore Plaza's, but it's 1000 sqft versus 700 sqft for Lakeshore

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:49 pm

SMA22 wrote:

Pls do post some photos. I heard that the most students live in McClurg? What is that like?

ArghItsBlarg

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:54 pm

So, yeah, no scholarships for me. I was a sad panda.

However, through circumstances which I don't yet feel privy to share in public, but which I will simply describe as "unprecedented and awesome," I've been offered a substantial scholarship if I transfer into the Accelerated JD program.

This, however, means that I'd start full time school in the middle of May, something I was definitely NOT prepared to do. We're making some serious reality checks right now.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:03 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:So, yeah, no scholarships for me. I was a sad panda.

However, through circumstances which I don't yet feel privy to share in public, but which I will simply describe as "unprecedented and awesome," I've been offered a substantial scholarship if I transfer into the Accelerated JD program.

This, however, means that I'd start full time school in the middle of May, something I was definitely NOT prepared to do. We're making some serious reality checks right now.

There was another TLSer who got a nice offer to do this...sounds appealing in many ways.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”