Northwestern Law Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:56 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I'm confused about where the yellow comes from...the law school has its own colors? The rest of the school only uses purple/white.

I like the NU Law logo when it has the whole Northwestern Law wordmark next to it. Otherwise it looks kinda...corporate.

Which university logo are you referring to? I've seen the university seal withe Latin and Greek mottos (which is nice, but not really "school spirit-y"), and the NU Wildcats athletic logo, which I'm not a huge fan of.

I'll be the girl buying purple stuff for everyone she knows. I love school apparel, and it'll be fun to change from orange and black, which I've been accumulating since I was 14. (High school & UG had the same mascot and colors...which totally gives away where I went to school if any of you are creepy stalkers!)


There are too many non-unique combos! Like the Nelsonville-York Buckeyes and the Ohio State Buckeyes.


Ah, but I'm flying in from Portland... not a lot of orange and black out here. :)

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby bdubs » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:00 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I'm confused about where the yellow comes from...the law school has its own colors? The rest of the school only uses purple/white.

I like the NU Law logo when it has the whole Northwestern Law wordmark next to it. Otherwise it looks kinda...corporate.

Which university logo are you referring to? I've seen the university seal withe Latin and Greek mottos (which is nice, but not really "school spirit-y"), and the NU Wildcats athletic logo, which I'm not a huge fan of.

I'll be the girl buying purple stuff for everyone she knows. I love school apparel, and it'll be fun to change from orange and black, which I've been accumulating since I was 14. (High school & UG had the same mascot and colors...which totally gives away where I went to school if any of you are creepy stalkers!)


There are too many non-unique combos! Like the Nelsonville-York Buckeyes and the Ohio State Buckeyes.


Ah, but I'm flying in from Portland... not a lot of orange and black out here. :)


Oregon State is the easy one. The creepy thing would be trying to identify your HS.

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2314
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:13 pm

bdubs wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I'm confused about where the yellow comes from...the law school has its own colors? The rest of the school only uses purple/white.

I like the NU Law logo when it has the whole Northwestern Law wordmark next to it. Otherwise it looks kinda...corporate.

Which university logo are you referring to? I've seen the university seal withe Latin and Greek mottos (which is nice, but not really "school spirit-y"), and the NU Wildcats athletic logo, which I'm not a huge fan of.

I'll be the girl buying purple stuff for everyone she knows. I love school apparel, and it'll be fun to change from orange and black, which I've been accumulating since I was 14. (High school & UG had the same mascot and colors...which totally gives away where I went to school if any of you are creepy stalkers!)


There are too many non-unique combos! Like the Nelsonville-York Buckeyes and the Ohio State Buckeyes.


Ah, but I'm flying in from Portland... not a lot of orange and black out here. :)


Oregon State is the easy one. The creepy thing would be trying to identify your HS.


In large part b/c that would involve googling "beaver" and that can't lead to good things.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:29 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
bdubs wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:There are too many non-unique combos! Like the Nelsonville-York Buckeyes and the Ohio State Buckeyes.


Ah, but I'm flying in from Portland... not a lot of orange and black out here. :)


Oregon State is the easy one. The creepy thing would be trying to identify your HS.


In large part b/c that would involve googling "beaver" and that can't lead to good things.


At least not until you get out from behind your work computer's web filter.

User avatar
Flustercluck
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:31 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Flustercluck » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:41 pm

jrose5 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Flustercluck wrote:
jrose5 wrote:This is just a general question, and I decided to ask it in the NU thread because I just got the admitted students' reception email invitation from them, but what is the dress code for these events, typically?


Image

J/K (Although I did buy one)

For the diversity weekend it varied, but it was definitely a definitely a business-casual vibe. The people in more corporate-type attire were in the minority. Personally, I wore jeans and a tshirt with a leather jacket over the first day activities (which were more casual), and slightly nicer denim with a fitted but casual button shirt (untucked) the second day...


I got decked out in NU gear for xmas...so definitely gonna be that guy, wearing NU shirt, writing in NU folio, with NU pen


Is it just me, or does the NU law logo seem... shockingly plain and underwhelming? I almost wish they just went with the university logo, which is much nicer.


Personally I liked the more subtle logo, but depending on color/style preferences there were a couple NU Law options at the bookstore. One had the typical all-caps NORTHWESTERN arced across the chest with a straight line LAW underneath, it was darker gray with purple shadowed letters. Another had the same style as the one I posted previously, but it was darker gray with a white and purple logo and white lettering that was stitched as opposed to screen-printed for the other two styles...

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2314
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:28 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
In large part b/c that would involve googling "beaver" and that can't lead to good things.


At least not until you get out from behind your work computer's web filter.


Work has no filter other than coworkers seeing my screen...I'll explain this is for lawl skewl, I'm sure they'll understand

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Bumi » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:12 pm

Congrats to the new admits today! Hopefully you can make it to ASW.

User avatar
VulcanVulcanVulcan
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:56 pm

Has anyone heard from NU re: their financial/merit aid award? I am curious when they will come out/be distributed. Will everything be out before ASW?

tipler4213
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 11:16 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby tipler4213 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:08 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:Has anyone heard from NU re: their financial/merit aid award? I am curious when they will come out/be distributed. Will everything be out before ASW?


I am also interested in this--I think someone said earlier that their first aid offers came out next week for last cycle.

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2314
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby homestyle28 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:10 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:Has anyone heard from NU re: their financial/merit aid award? I am curious when they will come out/be distributed. Will everything be out before ASW?


I haven't heard anything yet, would expect some things later this week, probably full scholly's for those straight out of UG willing to defer (that's been their pattern in the past). I think the only guarantee on timing is you'll have your offer before seat deposit deadline.

User avatar
Remnantofisrael
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Remnantofisrael » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:15 pm

Just signed a lease so I'll be moving to wicker park around April 1st. Looking forward to ASW!

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2314
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:25 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:Just signed a lease so I'll be moving to wicker park around April 1st. Looking forward to ASW!


long time no see, but that's good to hear, see you in a few weeks @ ASW

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:44 am

I'm unreasonably bummed that NU dropped to #12.

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2314
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:43 am

rinkrat19 wrote:I'm unreasonably bummed that NU dropped to #12.


Well, if you get your deferral, maybe they'll climb next year :)

tipler4213
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 11:16 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby tipler4213 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:49 am

Does NU offer full rides (or close to it--above 50%) to anyone with some work experience (1 yr). Or do they ever offer the full-ride/deferral anyone else? Their aid page doesn't divulge much, and I am really hoping they will come through with a good offer for me.

etlien
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:08 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby etlien » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:52 am

Anyone gotten a scholarship offer yet?

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Bumi » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:55 am

etlien wrote:Anyone gotten a scholarship offer yet?

Nope. Waiting patiently.

User avatar
er doctor
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby er doctor » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:00 am

Bumi wrote:
etlien wrote:Anyone gotten a scholarship offer yet?

Nope. Waiting impatiently.


FTFY

klj1
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby klj1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:26 am

tipler4213 wrote:Does NU offer full rides (or close to it--above 50%) to anyone with some work experience (1 yr). Or do they ever offer the full-ride/deferral anyone else? Their aid page doesn't divulge much, and I am really hoping they will come through with a good offer for me.



Last year, I was offered 30k/year - had 1 year of non-impressive WE, medianish LSAT, & GPA around 75th. If I remember correctly, think they said it was the largest scholarship amount they awarded, other than the full ride/deferrals. I think my application essay for aid was pretty compelling, which probably accounts for the large award, especially last year when it seemed like their merit aid money was super tight.

I would definitely expect the awards to come out in the next week or so - I remember I got mine less than a month before the ASW & had to scramble to book [insanely expensive at that point] airfare to make it.

User avatar
hipstermafia
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby hipstermafia » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:29 am

i think someone should call and ask when they are coming out

NOSE GOES :)

tipler4213
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 11:16 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby tipler4213 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:33 am

klj1 wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:Does NU offer full rides (or close to it--above 50%) to anyone with some work experience (1 yr). Or do they ever offer the full-ride/deferral anyone else? Their aid page doesn't divulge much, and I am really hoping they will come through with a good offer for me.



Last year, I was offered 30k/year - had 1 year of non-impressive WE, medianish LSAT, & GPA around 75th. If I remember correctly, think they said it was the largest scholarship amount they awarded, other than the full ride/deferrals. I think my application essay for aid was pretty compelling, which probably accounts for the large award, especially last year when it seemed like their merit aid money was super tight.

I would definitely expect the awards to come out in the next week or so - I remember I got mine less than a month before the ASW & had to scramble to book [insanely expensive at that point] airfare to make it.


Awesome news. Thanks for the info. I think 30k a year would do really nice...

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Bumi » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:25 pm

@tweetsbyjohann wrote:taking a quick break from the scholarship process. looks like next week for release. trust me, I want to be done with this.


@tweetsbyjohann wrote:correction: next week to START release.

tipler4213
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 11:16 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby tipler4213 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:31 pm

Bumi wrote:
@tweetsbyjohann wrote:taking a quick break from the scholarship process. looks like next week for release. trust me, I want to be done with this.


@tweetsbyjohann wrote:correction: next week to START release.


Bummer. I was hoping for this week

User avatar
src42
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby src42 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:46 pm

Bumi wrote:
@tweetsbyjohann wrote:taking a quick break from the scholarship process. looks like next week for release. trust me, I want to be done with this.


@tweetsbyjohann wrote:correction: next week to START release.

Next week is SO FAR AWAY.

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Bumi » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:07 pm

What's the sixth reason, NU!??!!?




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest