Northwestern Law Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby bdubs » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:20 am

mango2281 wrote:I don't know if this has been covered here before, but any ideas on the best way to buy new/relatively new textbooks?
Is it ok to buy previous editions? Are the recommended books necessary? Would it be inconvenient to just check em out at the library instead?


I've heard previous editions are not recommended because pertinent recent cases can be left out (although you can locate unedited versions on Westlaw/Lexis). Not sure if there is a good way to save on money here, but textbooks are such a minimal expense relative to the total cost of school, I woudln't skimp if it means added headaches during finals. /unsolicited advice from uninformed fellow 1L

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby IAFG » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:39 am

bdubs wrote:
mango2281 wrote:I don't know if this has been covered here before, but any ideas on the best way to buy new/relatively new textbooks?
Is it ok to buy previous editions? Are the recommended books necessary? Would it be inconvenient to just check em out at the library instead?


I've heard previous editions are not recommended because pertinent recent cases can be left out (although you can locate unedited versions on Westlaw/Lexis). Not sure if there is a good way to save on money here, but textbooks are such a minimal expense relative to the total cost of school, I woudln't skimp if it means added headaches during finals. /unsolicited advice from uninformed fellow 1L

You'll have more than enough reading without turning to unedited cases. Also, you'll probably wand the accompanying text.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:17 pm

I'm going to disagree here. While there are definitely certain classes where you need to have the most current version of the textbook, there are other times when it doesn't matter at all. Sometimes the edits to the new version are very minor, or don't affect the parts of the textbook your class actually covers. If you have any of the syllabi, compare them to the old versions and you should be able to tell whether or not they'll work.

User avatar
Remnantofisrael
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Remnantofisrael » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:33 pm

So any section 4 folks going to the shin dig this evening? I'm trying to decide if it is worth the trek back from wicker park.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13671
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Flips88 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:34 pm

So Shapo seems like a old school bamf and Pfander seems just pfabulous.

User avatar
CoaltoNewCastle
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:12 pm

Not looking forward to sitting in those Lincoln Hall chairs tomorrow. They'd be uncomfortable even if I hadn't had to share a too-small seat with some random guy.

Z3RO
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:57 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Z3RO » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:45 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Not looking forward to sitting in those Lincoln Hall chairs tomorrow. They'd be uncomfortable even if I hadn't had to share a too-small seat with some random guy.


Yeah, there were two rather burly looking dudes sharing one across the aisle from me. They didn't seem too pumped about it. Then again, there are still open chairs nearby...

Image

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:52 pm

Z3RO wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Not looking forward to sitting in those Lincoln Hall chairs tomorrow. They'd be uncomfortable even if I hadn't had to share a too-small seat with some random guy.


Yeah, there were two rather burly looking dudes sharing one across the aisle from me. They didn't seem too pumped about it. Then again, there are still open chairs nearby...

Image


So you were apparently directly above me. Creepy.

Z3RO
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:57 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Z3RO » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:53 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Z3RO wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Not looking forward to sitting in those Lincoln Hall chairs tomorrow. They'd be uncomfortable even if I hadn't had to share a too-small seat with some random guy.


Yeah, there were two rather burly looking dudes sharing one across the aisle from me. They didn't seem too pumped about it. Then again, there are still open chairs nearby...

Image


So you were apparently directly above me. Creepy.

That's funny. I almost said hi to you at some point, then.

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:57 pm

Weird. I feel like I've met ppl on here irl now, but I don't want to go around introducing myself as Eugenie.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18425
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:53 am

Z3RO wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Not looking forward to sitting in those Lincoln Hall chairs tomorrow. They'd be uncomfortable even if I hadn't had to share a too-small seat with some random guy.


Yeah, there were two rather burly looking dudes sharing one across the aisle from me. They didn't seem too pumped about it. Then again, there are still open chairs nearby...

Image


Lots of TLSers in a single pic.

User avatar
CoaltoNewCastle
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:05 am

Do you guys go to Northwestern? Are you 1Ls? What section are you in? What kind of law do you want to do? Where are you from?

Uh...

Do you have any siblings?

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13671
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Flips88 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:30 pm

bk1 wrote:
Z3RO wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Not looking forward to sitting in those Lincoln Hall chairs tomorrow. They'd be uncomfortable even if I hadn't had to share a too-small seat with some random guy.


Yeah, there were two rather burly looking dudes sharing one across the aisle from me. They didn't seem too pumped about it. Then again, there are still open chairs nearby...

Image


Lots of TLSers in a single pic.

I feel violated.

User avatar
Flustercluck
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:31 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Flustercluck » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:18 pm

Figured I'd stoke the thread...

Perhaps a roll call of those still with us?

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:46 pm

O hai.

splitmuch
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby splitmuch » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:10 am

im here. still haven't figured out who most of you people are, though.

User avatar
Flustercluck
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:31 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Flustercluck » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:27 am

splitmuch wrote:im here. still haven't figured out who most of you people are, though.

That is what bar review is for... :)

User avatar
CoaltoNewCastle
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:23 pm

Yeah wait, who are splitmuch and Eugenie? I'm JG in Section 3.
Last edited by CoaltoNewCastle on Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

igo2northwestern
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:07 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby igo2northwestern » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:14 am

woooooo just now joining in on this fun. jeremy, we spoke last night (if you are who i think you are)

User avatar
CoaltoNewCastle
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:46 am

igo2northwestern wrote:woooooo just now joining in on this fun. jeremy, we spoke last night (if you are who i think you are)


Are you the really pretty Southeast Asian girl serving beer near the door of that bar??

igo2northwestern
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:07 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby igo2northwestern » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:23 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
igo2northwestern wrote:woooooo just now joining in on this fun. jeremy, we spoke last night (if you are who i think you are)


Are you the really pretty Southeast Asian girl serving beer near the door of that bar??


no, that's "fredflintstone"

splitmuch
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby splitmuch » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:49 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Yeah wait, who are splitmuch and Eugenie? I'm Jeremy Green in Section 3.

im kevin j in section 1

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:53 pm

Lol, I've not met any of you, I don't think.

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby SemperLegal » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:36 am

Is it to early to start a reverse bidding war to buy someones entire set of books for next year?

Z3RO
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:57 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Z3RO » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:28 am

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Yeah wait, who are splitmuch and Eugenie? I'm Jeremy Green in Section 3.


Hey, I'm in section 3 too. Name doesn't ring a bell. You're not gunnin' like Big O' I guess.




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest