Northwestern Law Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
homestyle28

Gold

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Post by homestyle28 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:27 pm

As orientation looms, are you all feeling as woefully unprepared as I am? I had planned on setting myself up as super-gunner, have my OneNote system down, read GTM a few times, etc...Thus far I've managed to by a new laptop and fall asleep during the intro of GTM and dig a bunch of holes in my yard, but at a school like NU, even the bottom feeders get jerbs, right?

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:35 pm

homestyle28 wrote:As orientation looms, are you all feeling as woefully unprepared as I am? I had planned on setting myself up as super-gunner, have my OneNote system down, read GTM a few times, etc...Thus far I've managed to by a new laptop and fall asleep during the intro of GTM and dig a bunch of holes in my yard, but at a school like NU, even the bottom feeders get jerbs, right?
Haha, I had the exact same thing happen. I had planned on becoming a warlock of One Note and try to "network" with alumni with the time that I had off from working. Instead I've been playing Terraria. Which, I mean, isn't a bad outcome.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:57 pm

Anything you do before November is pretty useless.

SMA22

Bronze

Post by SMA22 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:04 pm

I'm trying to stay off TLS and not stress about schedules and whatnot--haha, see how that's worked out for me :D

Kids, are we still down for Friday at 7:00 at Citzen (364 W. Erie)? I'll meet you out front of the patio, looking nervous and checking my Blackberry compulsively.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:07 pm

SMA22 wrote:I'm trying to stay off TLS and not stress about schedules and whatnot--haha, see how that's worked out for me :D

Kids, are we still down for Friday at 7:00 at Citzen (364 W. Erie)? I'll meet you out front of the patio, looking nervous and checking my Blackberry compulsively.
I think I'll have to pass- one of my college friends is coming to town and staying at my place, so I'll probably be meeting her right about 7 :-(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SMA22

Bronze

Post by SMA22 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:31 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
SMA22 wrote:I'm trying to stay off TLS and not stress about schedules and whatnot--haha, see how that's worked out for me :D

I think I'll have to pass- one of my college friends is coming to town and staying at my place, so I'll probably be meeting her right about 7 :-(
Too bad, my dog was looking forward to meeting your camel--guess we'll see you soon enough :D

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Anything you do before November is pretty useless.
This. Also, I don't think I got past page 75 of GTM.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:19 pm

I'll go for a bit.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:38 pm

See you there! just don't expect my avatar to show up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:10 pm

Someone should pm me their # so I can meet up with you when I get back to Chi later in the night. I'll even dress as my 'tar. So will IAFG. Sign and all.

SMA22

Bronze

Post by SMA22 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:18 pm

Very cool--will see you guys there; if anyone else will be late and wants contact info, feel free to PM me.

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:37 pm

I'll be there.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:37 am

Question about the community service NU wants everyone to do. Does it have to be "legal" or even very "srs" volunteering? Currently I have a regular monthly volunteer shift at the Museum of Science & Industry where I live, and I'd love to take up something similar at the MSI in Chicago because that place is freaking awesome, and it's just a bus ride down Lake Shore Drive from school. Or I'd like to find a kid's ice hockey team to assistant coach, since I likely won't be playing myself (*weeps*), although that'd probably require re-taking the classes for the USA Hockey coaching cert. I let expire years ago. Would those kinds of things meet NU's definition of community service?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:48 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Question about the community service NU wants everyone to do.
I have to do what now?

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:02 pm

Bumi wrote:
I have to do what now?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:03 pm

Bumi wrote:
I have to do what now?
It's pretty minimal. I wanna say like 50 hours over the 3 years before graduation. And I think there are some school-arranged events you can commit a day to.

I'm also wondering what kind of service qualifies you for SFPIF(sp?) funding. Wasn't there some requirement for that as well?

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:16 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Bumi wrote:
I have to do what now?
It's pretty minimal. I wanna say like 50 hours over the 3 years before graduation. And I think there are some school-arranged events you can commit a day to.

I'm also wondering what kind of service qualifies you for SFPIF(sp?) funding. Wasn't there some requirement for that as well?
I do recall seeing a list of places to serve somewhere...not sure if you can go outside this, or if it needs to be at a certain site, or legal in nature etc.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:04 pm

Oh my goodness. I just went to Stanley's Fruit and Vegetables (1558 N Elston Ave.), and I bought 1.75 lbs of cherries, 1 head of organic celery, 2 large onions, 1 green pepper, 3 plums, 2 lbs of squash, bag of organic baby carrots, and a tub of hummus all for $10.03.

I think I'm in love.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Oh my goodness. I just went to Stanley's Fruit and Vegetables (1558 N Elston Ave.), and I bought 1.75 lbs of cherries, 1 head of organic celery, 2 large onions, 1 green pepper, 3 plums, 2 lbs of squash, bag of organic baby carrots, and a tub of hummus all for $10.03.

I think I'm in love.
This is the kind of info we need in this thread. Keep it coming.

I would share what I've learned, but I haven't learned a damn thing. Except don't ask a bartender for a three-twelve. It's three-one-two.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:04 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Oh my goodness. I just went to Stanley's Fruit and Vegetables (1558 N Elston Ave.), and I bought 1.75 lbs of cherries, 1 head of organic celery, 2 large onions, 1 green pepper, 3 plums, 2 lbs of squash, bag of organic baby carrots, and a tub of hummus all for $10.03.

I think I'm in love.
Sounds like a steal. How did you get there though? It looks like it's quite a ways from the campus.

Also, if anyone knows of an inexpensive drycleaner in the Chicago area please post!

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:09 pm

bdubs wrote:

I think I'm in love.
Sounds like a steal. How did you get there though? It looks like it's quite a ways from the campus.

Also, if anyone knows of an inexpensive drycleaner in the Chicago area please post!
That is not far from the North and Clyborn redline stop, so it shouldn't be too hard to get there if you don't mind walking a few blocks. Drycleaners are going to depend on the area in which you live. Most residential areas are going to have one close by, I would just do a google search near your apartment, or walk around. Drycleaning downtown is going to be more expensive than the little shops in the residential neighborhoods up north.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:52 pm

bdubs wrote:

I think I'm in love.

I live about 15 minutes from the school along the 66 bus route, so it's not too far from me. I could walk to it in 25 minutes, but today I was lazy and took the bus for 10 minutes :D

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:23 pm

So the first day of orientation says that we need to wear business casual attire so that we can have our picture taken for some kind of directory that they'll be providing to prospective employers. Normally I would think business casual means button down and khakis, but I'm wondering whether this is something we should wear a tie to.

I don't want to be the only asshole there in a tie, and I certainly don't wan to be the only one without.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:29 pm

Z3RO wrote:So the first day of orientation says that we need to wear business casual attire so that we can have our picture taken for some kind of directory that they'll be providing to prospective employers. Normally I would think business casual means button down and khakis, but I'm wondering whether this is something we should wear a tie to.

I don't want to be the only asshole there in a tie, and I certainly don't wan to be the only one without.
Wear a button-down shirt that can be worn with a tie, and bring a tie in your bag.

Remnantofisrael

Bronze

Post by Remnantofisrael » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:38 pm

Ah, stanleys. I live in wicker park so its just a quick ride over there and I've been there twice a week since April. PLEASE keep this in mind though- their produce CAN be great, but sometimes it just withers away in a couple days. I've had peppers and broccoli and stuff last two weeks from them, but the lettuce and peppers I bought on monday are already getting nasty.

Also, remember to buy seasonal OR reverse season (cause they get a ton of stuff from south america). And usually don't buy their avocados because they are more expensive than at, say, dominicks.

Who all is living out this way? Bucktown/WP/Ukrainian Villiage area? Its great out here.

Also, won't be there friday- I'm fighting a cold. Good timing. Better that I'm giving it to my 2L brother (at Michigan) who has EIW (OCI) all next week.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”