Northwestern Law Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Flips88

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:19 am

splitmuch wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
splitmuch wrote:ITT this thread 2 posters with a combined 11500 posts on an internet forum mock a dude for playing a card game. I mean, I've never played bridge either, but I spend about 2 hours a week playing PS3 games online so I won't judge.

Sure, but I've never seen a bridge tournament that involves anyone under the age of 60. Also, he posted from his phone, which makes me wonder what was so pressing about the matter that meant it had to be posted asap. To each his own, I suppose

Those are actually a good point. There have been a few postings on the fbook page (all caps guy) that make you wonder.

Did you see the chick that asked what country everyone was from? and followed it up with "Nice.. I c.. So r u fm India?" and " R u cuming 2 Mumbai?" and the coup d'grace "Sure leme knw wen u cum.. V shall meet up.."

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:21 am

bjsesq wrote:
splitmuch wrote:Oh. Well that's happened before here so I'm not too concerned, but I don't see how he could have based on that post. I thought he was saying I outted myself as a dude who occasionally plays video games, which is to say as a dude.

Not a big deal. NU tls'ers know each other. And many of us are video game fans. And one of us is an avid WoW player.

He started playing WoW for the chicks, he stayed for the glory.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:25 am

Flips88 wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
splitmuch wrote:ITT this thread 2 posters with a combined 11500 posts on an internet forum mock a dude for playing a card game. I mean, I've never played bridge either, but I spend about 2 hours a week playing PS3 games online so I won't judge.

Sure, but I've never seen a bridge tournament that involves anyone under the age of 60. Also, he posted from his phone, which makes me wonder what was so pressing about the matter that meant it had to be posted asap. To each his own, I suppose

Those are actually a good point. There have been a few postings on the fbook page (all caps guy) that make you wonder.

Did you see the chick that asked what country everyone was from? and followed it up with "Nice.. I c.. So r u fm India?" and " R u cuming 2 Mumbai?" and the coup d'grace "Sure leme knw wen u cum.. V shall meet up.."

This will be outting myself if anyone saw it but I actually drunkenly replied to that with something like "America, Fuck yeah!"

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:26 am

D-hops wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
splitmuch wrote:Oh. Well that's happened before here so I'm not too concerned, but I don't see how he could have based on that post. I thought he was saying I outted myself as a dude who occasionally plays video games, which is to say as a dude.

Not a big deal. NU tls'ers know each other. And many of us are video game fans. And one of us is an avid WoW player.

A kid in my dorm freshman year dropped out to move to CA (my UG is in Indiana) and move in with some 50 yr old gf he met on wow who had a son one year older than him.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:27 am

D-hops wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Sad, but so very true.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:46 am

IAFG wrote:
mango2281 wrote:Must...finish...masters thesis...
I have a month left and am really struggling to motivate myself to write, especially with law school and a wedding looming ahead.
Other than the fact that if I don't finish it's 30k in loans for a lousy certificate of completion meaning I need to get my ass to the library anyway, do you think Northwestern would care whether I finish my masters or not? Their checklist seems to indicate that they only require official undergrad transcripts. Plus it seems that biology masters degrees are pretty worthless for IP law, and wouldn't my last month be better spent reading Getting to Maybe and going through LEEWs?

Someone please tell me its time to stop kidding myself? :?

GET TO WORK!!

If NU doesn't care, and your first legal employer doesn't care, I think you will.

Actually I think his first legal employer might care. Masters in bio is better than bachelors in bio.

Getting to maybe is like half a day read. And you probably shouldn't even bother until you are about to start making your outlines.
Last edited by 09042014 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:47 am

I meant you outted yourself as the bridge player, and it was a joke.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:47 am

Desert Fox wrote:
IAFG wrote:
mango2281 wrote:Must...finish...masters thesis...
I have a month left and am really struggling to motivate myself to write, especially with law school and a wedding looming ahead.
Other than the fact that if I don't finish it's 30k in loans for a lousy certificate of completion meaning I need to get my ass to the library anyway, do you think Northwestern would care whether I finish my masters or not? Their checklist seems to indicate that they only require official undergrad transcripts. Plus it seems that biology masters degrees are pretty worthless for IP law, and wouldn't my last month be better spent reading Getting to Maybe and going through LEEWs?

Someone please tell me its time to stop kidding myself? :?

GET TO WORK!!

If NU doesn't care, and your first legal employer doesn't care, I think you will.

Actually I think his first legal employer might care. Masters in bio is better than bachelors in bio.

Getting to maybe is like half a day read. And you probably should even bother until you are about to start making your outlines.

He shouldn't bother at all. GTM is a waste of time, imo.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:52 am

bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
IAFG wrote:GET TO WORK!!

Getting to maybe is like half a day read. And you probably should even bother until you are about to start making your outlines.

I think it's a good way to get across the fact that the exams want you to issue spot, and argue both sides of every issue. I Dunno I read the first 100 pages and I think it really helped. Who knows if I would have figured that shit out on my own.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:53 am

Desert Fox wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I think it's a good way to get across the fact that the exams want you to issue spot, and argue both sides of every issue. I Dunno I read the first 100 pages and I think it really helped. Who knows if I would have figured that shit out on my own.

You just saved him 100 pages.

roxydoxy

Postby roxydoxy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:49 pm

Sure, but I've never seen a bridge tournament that involves anyone under the age of 60. Also, he posted from his phone, which makes me wonder what was so pressing about the matter that meant it had to be posted asap. To each his own, I suppose[/quote]

Those are actually a good point. There have been a few postings on the fbook page (all caps guy) that make you wonder.[/quote]
Did you see the chick that asked what country everyone was from? and followed it up with "Nice.. I c.. So r u fm India?" and " R u cuming 2 Mumbai?" and the coup d'grace "Sure leme knw wen u cum.. V shall meet up.."[/quote]

This will be outting myself if anyone saw it but I actually drunkenly replied to that with something like "America, Fuck yeah!"[/quote]

laughing so hard right now at your commentaries. especially bc i was thinking the same way as both of you.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:00 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I couldn't stand to read much further passed there either, but I assumed it was because I hadn't taken classes yet, so it just SEEMED inanely repetitive.

lawandi

Postby lawandi » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:35 am

splitmuch wrote: This will be outting myself if anyone saw it but I actually drunkenly replied to that with something like "America, Fuck yeah!"

We're going to get along.

Aine

Postby Aine » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:30 pm

lawandi wrote:
splitmuch wrote: This will be outting myself if anyone saw it but I actually drunkenly replied to that with something like "America, Fuck yeah!"

lawandi --did you manage to find housing?

mango2281

Postby mango2281 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:33 pm

Z3RO wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I couldn't stand to read much further passed there either, but I assumed it was because I hadn't taken classes yet, so it just SEEMED inanely repetitive.

Good to know! lol
That's one less thing to do before 8/22 :)

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:49 pm

lawandi wrote:

+1. I considered linking to that song on YouTube as a reply but was worried I'd offend somebody. I guess you had second thoughts too, since I don't see that post. But that's still awesome.

antonin

Postby antonin » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:39 pm

Are most of you guys starting August or September leases. I find it quite annoying that Northwestern expects us to be there on August 22. My schedule with work, traveling and Chicago is driving me crazy.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:45 pm

antonin wrote:Are most of you guys starting August or September leases. I find it quite annoying that Northwestern expects us to be there on August 22. My schedule with work, traveling and Chicago is driving me crazy.

August 1, but lots of Streeterville managed apartment buildings seemed to allow mid-month move ins. I wound up renting from a condo owner, so that wasn't an option.

scity

Postby scity » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:15 am

I'll be in Chicago this weekend looking for places, most likely just in Streeterville (no need to put extra stress on myself with a 1L commute). Does anyone know if there are summer classes in session that I could sit in on Monday/have any good last minute apartment referals?

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:41 am

antonin wrote:Are most of you guys starting August or September leases. I find it quite annoying that Northwestern expects us to be there on August 22. My schedule with work, traveling and Chicago is driving me crazy.

August. No way I'm trying to move in the first week of law school. I curtailed work a little early because the extra money of working all of August wasn't worth rushing my way into law school.

scity wrote:I'll be in Chicago this weekend looking for places, most likely just in Streeterville (no need to put extra stress on myself with a 1L commute). Does anyone know if there are summer classes in session that I could sit in on Monday/have any good last minute apartment referals?

Aren't the AJD's taking classes right now? You might be able to check those out.

My recommendation is to check craigslist/padmapper to see if you can look at a condo that someone is renting, in addition to the obvious Streeterville apartment buildings. That gives you more options.

scity

Postby scity » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:26 pm

scity wrote:I'll be in Chicago this weekend looking for places, most likely just in Streeterville (no need to put extra stress on myself with a 1L commute). Does anyone know if there are summer classes in session that I could sit in on Monday/have any good last minute apartment referals?

Aren't the AJD's taking classes right now? You might be able to check those out.

My recommendation is to check craigslist/padmapper to see if you can look at a condo that someone is renting, in addition to the obvious Streeterville apartment buildings. That gives you more options.[/quote]

Just called admissions to ask about sitting in on a class Monday. I was told that I can't because "they don't have the professors permission and they really don't like it when admitted students come in." Um... excuse me??? Is it really that bothersome for me to sit quietly in the back of a classroom and watch? I may go and try and find something on my own.

I looked a little on padmapper, but I haven't really been able to find too much that would be as cheap as McClurg/Onterie. I think I'm going to look around for stuff once I get there tomorrow though.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:45 pm

scity wrote:I looked a little on padmapper, but I haven't really been able to find too much that would be as cheap as McClurg/Onterie. I think I'm going to look around for stuff once I get there tomorrow though.

McClurg and Onterie really aren't that cheap (I think the cheapest building in the area south of the school is Lakeshore Plaza). If you want to save money I'd suggest, from my very limited knowledge of having looked in the area for apartments, that you look west of Michigan Ave and north of the school. It seemed like the cheaper places tended to be there and those buildings seemed to include electricity/gas more often.

I found cruising padmapper/hotpads to be a misleading because the apartment complexes would advertise their lowest prices (e.g. $1300 for a 1br on a low floor) on those sites yet if you went and talked to them they wouldn't have any of those actually open and the only things they would have would be a lot more expensive (e.g. $1500-1600 places on a high floor).

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:02 pm

scity wrote:Just called admissions to ask about sitting in on a class Monday. I was told that I can't because "they don't have the professors permission and they really don't like it when admitted students come in." Um... excuse me??? Is it really that bothersome for me to sit quietly in the back of a classroom and watch? I may go and try and find something on my own.

Yeah, as the prof. Or make friends with an AJD and have them ask the prof. never heard of a prof saying no to a visitor.

I looked a little on padmapper, but I haven't really been able to find too much that would be as cheap as McClurg/Onterie.

lol. McClurg and Onterie are sooooooo overpriced.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:55 pm

scity wrote:
Just called admissions to ask about sitting in on a class Monday. I was told that I can't because "they don't have the professors permission and they really don't like it when admitted students come in." Um... excuse me??? Is it really that bothersome for me to sit quietly in the back of a classroom and watch? I may go and try and find something on my own.

It's distracting because when admits are there, we're all checking them out and rating their hotness on gchat.

Aine

Postby Aine » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:19 am

bk1 wrote:
scity wrote:I looked a little on padmapper, but I haven't really been able to find too much that would be as cheap as McClurg/Onterie. I think I'm going to look around for stuff once I get there tomorrow though.

McClurg and Onterie really aren't that cheap (I think the cheapest building in the area south of the school is Lakeshore Plaza).

This is what I found, too. I got a 2bed there for $1900/month (on a high floor), which is "cheaper" than the prices I was quoted for 2beds at McClurg, Onterie, and a few other Streeterville complexes.

Also if any of you are living in LSP let me know. We can split the referral fee.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”