Northwestern Law Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:20 am

Aine wrote:I posted this on the current students thread but no one responded :(

Hows the health care --and is the dental plan worth it? Anyone have it?

I have free dental care, but the school health insurance generally is decent.

User avatar
Aine
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:54 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Aine » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:54 am

Thanks Eugenie and Holly!

User avatar
VulcanVulcanVulcan
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:13 pm

Also out of curiosity, what computers are people getting for August? My MacBook is 3.5 years old and I think it's time to find a new one.

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:18 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:Also out of curiosity, what computers are people getting for August? My MacBook is 3.5 years old and I think it's time to find a new one.


Here's my plan:
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/notebooks/thi ... ries/x120e

Gonna swap out the hard drive with one of these:
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/produc ... aptop-hdd/

Just waiting until we get a little closer to September to order

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13562
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Flips88 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:20 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:Also out of curiosity, what computers are people getting for August? My MacBook is 3.5 years old and I think it's time to find a new one.

I have a MBP that's a little over 4 years old and I'm going to use it for 1L and then probably get a new one next year.

User avatar
SMA22
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:42 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby SMA22 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:54 pm

Flips88 wrote:
VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:Also out of curiosity, what computers are people getting for August? My MacBook is 3.5 years old and I think it's time to find a new one.

I have a MBP that's a little over 4 years old and I'm going to use it for 1L and then probably get a new one next year.


Flips and I will have the same computer--my MBP from 2008 still works great and is familiar to me; if it hadn't been a line item on the financial aid sheet, a new laptop would not really have crossed my mind, so I'm just going to roll with what I've got.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13562
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Flips88 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:56 pm

SMA22 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:Also out of curiosity, what computers are people getting for August? My MacBook is 3.5 years old and I think it's time to find a new one.

I have a MBP that's a little over 4 years old and I'm going to use it for 1L and then probably get a new one next year.


Flips and I will have the same computer--my MBP from 2008 still works great and is familiar to me; if it hadn't been a line item on the financial aid sheet, a new laptop would not really have crossed my mind, so I'm just going to roll with what I've got.

Mine is a 17", which though it's a great size for me, is a real bitch to lug around in a backpack. So I'll probably size down to 13" or 15" next time around

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby bdubs » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:12 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:Also out of curiosity, what computers are people getting for August? My MacBook is 3.5 years old and I think it's time to find a new one.


Here's my plan:
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/notebooks/thi ... ries/x120e

Gonna swap out the hard drive with one of these:
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/produc ... aptop-hdd/

Just waiting until we get a little closer to September to order


I like homestyle's selection of HDD, I'll probably get me one of them too.

For a laptop i'll probably end up with this:
--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:05 am

I'm going to get a Thinkpad Edge, I think. (lol) I had a Macbook all through college and loved it, but I just can't justify $1300 for a new laptop at this point.

User avatar
Aine
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:54 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Aine » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:18 am

I don't believe in PCs. I have a hand-me-down MacBook (yay for being the younger sibling) that works well enough to get me through the year!

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:39 am

Aine wrote:I don't believe in PCs. I have a hand-me-down MacBook (yay for being the younger sibling) that works well enough to get me through the year!


Aine, PCs are real. I promise! ;-)

FredFlinstone
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 4:11 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby FredFlinstone » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:58 am

Speaking of laptops... Can any current students offer some input on the importance of battery life? I have a high performance laptop that can only last an hour, an hour and a half at most. Are there a lot of easily accessible outlets in the classrooms? Or should I look into a new laptop?

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby bdubs » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:14 am

FredFlinstone wrote:Speaking of laptops... Can any current students offer some input on the importance of battery life? I have a high performance laptop that can only last an hour, an hour and a half at most. Are there a lot of easily accessible outlets in the classrooms? Or should I look into a new laptop?


When I visited I was told that outlets are in all of the classrooms except those in the oldest building (the one with Lincoln Hall), but that as a 1L I probably wouldn't take any classes there because it is mostly small seminar rooms.

Nola
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:45 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Nola » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:58 am

Does anybody know if you can use the Gmail Iphone app with the @nlaw.northwestern.edu email address?

It won't seem to take.

User avatar
D-hops
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby D-hops » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:27 am

Nola wrote:Does anybody know if you can use the Gmail Iphone app with the @nlaw.northwestern.edu email address?

It won't seem to take.


I don't know that you can use the gmail app with the NU email addresses (I haven't tried it), but I definitely have my email on my phone by using the email account setup and adding another gmail account (with all the NU information). I do know that the g-chat works with most third party chat providers too.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby bdubs » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:28 am

Nola wrote:Does anybody know if you can use the Gmail Iphone app with the @nlaw.northwestern.edu email address?

It won't seem to take.


It works with the gmail app for Android, although it doesn't seem to push down messages as consistently as my regular gmail account does.

User avatar
D-hops
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby D-hops » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:30 am

bdubs wrote:
FredFlinstone wrote:Speaking of laptops... Can any current students offer some input on the importance of battery life? I have a high performance laptop that can only last an hour, an hour and a half at most. Are there a lot of easily accessible outlets in the classrooms? Or should I look into a new laptop?


When I visited I was told that outlets are in all of the classrooms except those in the oldest building (the one with Lincoln Hall), but that as a 1L I probably wouldn't take any classes there because it is mostly small seminar rooms.


As a 1L I had one class where I was in a room with no outlets. I have a netbook that I bring to school with me and a large laptop for exams and heavy duty word processing and stuff so it was never really a problem for me, but it could have been if I didn't have the netbook.


Random piece of advice: Use Dropbox. Love Dropbox. It could save your life.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:01 am

D-hops wrote:
bdubs wrote:
FredFlinstone wrote:Speaking of laptops... Can any current students offer some input on the importance of battery life? I have a high performance laptop that can only last an hour, an hour and a half at most. Are there a lot of easily accessible outlets in the classrooms? Or should I look into a new laptop?


When I visited I was told that outlets are in all of the classrooms except those in the oldest building (the one with Lincoln Hall), but that as a 1L I probably wouldn't take any classes there because it is mostly small seminar rooms.


As a 1L I had one class where I was in a room with no outlets. I have a netbook that I bring to school with me and a large laptop for exams and heavy duty word processing and stuff so it was never really a problem for me, but it could have been if I didn't have the netbook.


Random piece of advice: Use Dropbox. Love Dropbox. It could save your life.

I'm planning on using Dropbox (or similar) AND a Pogoplug drive at home, so there will be a copy of my stuff on a non-cloud remote drive too.

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:10 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
D-hops wrote:
bdubs wrote:
FredFlinstone wrote:Speaking of laptops... Can any current students offer some input on the importance of battery life? I have a high performance laptop that can only last an hour, an hour and a half at most. Are there a lot of easily accessible outlets in the classrooms? Or should I look into a new laptop?


When I visited I was told that outlets are in all of the classrooms except those in the oldest building (the one with Lincoln Hall), but that as a 1L I probably wouldn't take any classes there because it is mostly small seminar rooms.


As a 1L I had one class where I was in a room with no outlets. I have a netbook that I bring to school with me and a large laptop for exams and heavy duty word processing and stuff so it was never really a problem for me, but it could have been if I didn't have the netbook.


Random piece of advice: Use Dropbox. Love Dropbox. It could save your life.

I'm planning on using Dropbox (or similar) AND a Pogoplug drive at home, so there will be a copy of my stuff on a non-cloud remote drive too.


The nerdiness is strong in this one

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:32 am

homestyle28 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
D-hops wrote:Random piece of advice: Use Dropbox. Love Dropbox. It could save your life.

I'm planning on using Dropbox (or similar) AND a Pogoplug drive at home, so there will be a copy of my stuff on a non-cloud remote drive too.


The nerdiness is strong in this one

8) I have this irrational fear of my laptop crashing AND the internet being out/Dropbox servers being down so I can't get at my Dropbox files. A backup laptop (my current 17" beast) and an actual, physical HDD at home that I can hook up to with a hard line to get my files off of solves this disaster.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby bdubs » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:36 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
D-hops wrote:Random piece of advice: Use Dropbox. Love Dropbox. It could save your life.

I'm planning on using Dropbox (or similar) AND a Pogoplug drive at home, so there will be a copy of my stuff on a non-cloud remote drive too.


The nerdiness is strong in this one

8) I have this irrational fear of my laptop crashing AND the internet being out/Dropbox servers being down so I can't get at my Dropbox files. A backup laptop (my current 17" beast) and an actual, physical HDD at home that I can hook up to with a hard line to get my files off of solves this disaster.


That type of paranoia can be cured with a raid array :-)

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:08 pm

bdubs wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I'm planning on using Dropbox (or similar) AND a Pogoplug drive at home, so there will be a copy of my stuff on a non-cloud remote drive too.


The nerdiness is strong in this one

8) I have this irrational fear of my laptop crashing AND the internet being out/Dropbox servers being down so I can't get at my Dropbox files. A backup laptop (my current 17" beast) and an actual, physical HDD at home that I can hook up to with a hard line to get my files off of solves this disaster.


That type of paranoia can be cured with a raid array :-)

That'll be in the closet, under my shoes. :P

Z3RO
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:57 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Z3RO » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:22 pm

I just have my NU address configured to forward all messages to my normal Gmail account.

Nola
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:45 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Nola » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:44 pm

I wanted to use the gmail app to keep in touch with some friends I am leaving when I move via gchat. I guess I'll just have to set up an actual gmail account or text message.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13562
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Flips88 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:48 pm

Z3RO wrote:I just have my NU address configured to forward all messages to my normal Gmail account.

Same here




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest