Northwestern Law Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Aine

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Aine » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:00 am

mango2281 wrote:
Aine wrote:
mango2281 wrote:Joining the NU '14 crew! Anyone from Boston?

No but lived there for a few years. Loved it. One year in Fenway and one in Brookline --worked in the Financial District. Miss it :) you there now, or asia?

I'm bummed to leave Boston, but the little that I've seen of Chicago during admit week was beautiful so I have my hopes up.
In Korea (South- I have had people actually ask lol) until orientation!

Sweet! Eugenie and I are also in Asia. If I 1. had more money and 2. hadn't just signed two MPN's committing myself to a soul-crushing amount of debt, I'd suggest we have a TLS meet-up somewhere tropical and beach-y. Alas.

ALSO THE BRUINS WON THE STANLEY CUP. Yeah Boston!

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:04 am

Aine wrote:Sweet! Eugenie and I are also in Asia. If I 1. had more money and 2. hadn't just signed two MPN's committing myself to a soul-crushing amount of debt, I'd suggest we have a TLS meet-up somewhere tropical and beach-y. Alas.

I used to live in Boston, also. Small world.

I wish I were going somewhere beachy! But I haven't seen the fam in two years, and I'm really looking forward to three weeks with them before Chicago :-)

Aine

Postby Aine » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:40 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Aine wrote:Sweet! Eugenie and I are also in Asia. If I 1. had more money and 2. hadn't just signed two MPN's committing myself to a soul-crushing amount of debt, I'd suggest we have a TLS meet-up somewhere tropical and beach-y. Alas.

I used to live in Boston, also. Small world.

I wish I were going somewhere beachy! But I haven't seen the fam in two years, and I'm really looking forward to three weeks with them before Chicago :-)

Too bad your family doesn't live somewhere beach-y! Also I love how we are the only ones who post at this hour cause its 5:40 in the morning on the East Coast.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:55 am

Aine wrote:Too bad your family doesn't live somewhere beach-y! Also I love how we are the only ones who post at this hour cause its 5:40 in the morning on the East Coast.

We're awesome like that!

Actually, my parents offered to take me on a short (local-ish) vacation. I can't really think of any where I'd want to go in the South in August, although Savannah is an option...

glewz

Postby glewz » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:00 am

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:16 am

Why are we watching the Notebook? That movie makes me a little :roll:

But then again, I'm a heartless anti-romantic :D

glewz

Postby glewz » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:25 am

that was intended as a (joking) recommendation for your trip - figured family vacay needed some swans on a lake :wink:

Aine

Postby Aine » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:28 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Why are we watching the Notebook? That movie makes me a little :roll:

Nicholas Sparks is the worst.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:34 am

glewz wrote:that was intended as a (joking) recommendation for your trip - figured family vacay needed some swans on a lake :wink:

Haha my dad would probably try to shoot them, and my mom would be freaking about the tropical diseases we'd catch ;-)

Thanks anyhow.

Aine- most def agee with you! Of course, Romeo and Juliet makes me gag too, so maybe I'm just romantically defective. My students get mad whenever I say that I don't believe in love at first sight.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:30 am

Aine wrote:
lawandi wrote:Also... changed my avatar to express how disoriented I'm going to be arriving to Chicago on a one-way flight from CA :lol:

Cutest.change.ever

Ahem. :mrgreen:

mango2281

Postby mango2281 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:00 am

Aine wrote:ALSO THE BRUINS WON THE STANLEY CUP. Yeah Boston!

Yay Boston! I still kick myself for not having gone to a Bruins game. Red Sox and Celtics games were always fun :)

homestyle28 wrote:
Aine wrote:Cutest.change.ever

You win!

mango2281

Postby mango2281 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:58 am

Is it normal that I haven't received any emails about confirming my loans?
Granted, I had a mix up regarding my tuition deposit (they sent me the netID and pw for a different student, for which I unknowingly sent in a deposit- it took a while to sort things out), but I'm getting worried that if I wait too long I might get hit with bill for 50 grand :shock:
I suppose I should drop a line to the fin aid office soon to prevent any future heart attacks :)

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:06 am

mango2281 wrote:Is it normal that I haven't received any emails about confirming my loans?
Granted, I had a mix up regarding my tuition deposit (they sent me the netID and pw for a different student, for which I unknowingly sent in a deposit- it took a while to sort things out), but I'm getting worried that if I wait too long I might get hit with bill for 50 grand :shock:
I suppose I should drop a line to the fin aid office soon to prevent any future heart attacks :)

it took about 3 weeks from them confirming my seat deposit to getting the finaid award and then you have to go accept stuff through Caesar and do the MPN and counseling crap through the government.

Aine

Postby Aine » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:14 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Aine wrote:
lawandi wrote:Also... changed my avatar to express how disoriented I'm going to be arriving to Chicago on a one-way flight from CA :lol:

Cutest.change.ever

Oh man Homes. No one can compete with that.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:37 pm

Aine wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Aine wrote:

Cutest.change.ever

Oh man Homes. No one can compete with that.

It probably should be considered cheating, b/c even if the kid wasn't cute, some of you'd have to be somewhat ballsy to say so, given our future study-group potential, so I'm really fine ceding this one to paddington bear :)

SMA22

Postby SMA22 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:49 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Aine wrote:Oh man Homes. No one can compete with that.

It probably should be considered cheating, b/c even if the kid wasn't cute, some of you'd have to be somewhat ballsy to say so, given our future study-group potential, so I'm really fine ceding this one to paddington bear :)

He's soooo cute that I am going to beg you to bring him to campus to show him off, and then regret it for the rest of my life when I get kicked out of NU for kidnapping him :D He's simply adorable!

Unrelated note, I moved to Streeterville today. Survived, for the most part; that is, just as I started unpacking, I cut my thumb wide open on one of those tin foil cutters. Ow. End of unpacking :x

lawandi

Postby lawandi » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:50 pm

SMA22 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

He's soooo cute that I am going to beg you to bring him to campus to show him off, and then regret it for the rest of my life when I get kicked out of NU for kidnapping him :D He's simply adorable!

Unrelated note, I moved to Streeterville today. Survived, for the most part; that is, just as I started unpacking, I cut my thumb wide open on one of those tin foil cutters. Ow. End of unpacking :x

Adorable child :). I nannied through college and can attest that nothing's cuter than a happy baby.

Sorry about your cut, SMA :(. Sounds painful. How are you liking Streeterville? Any ideas of how you'll be spending your first non-unpacking day and evening there?

SMA22

Postby SMA22 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:41 pm

lawandi wrote:
SMA22 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

Adorable child :). I nannied through college and can attest that nothing's cuter than a happy baby.

Sorry about your cut, SMA :(. Sounds painful. How are you liking Streeterville? Any ideas of how you'll be spending your first non-unpacking day and evening there?

Oh, I love it down here--the weather's great, the 'hood is a lot of fun, and after bleeding out on my kitchen floor, I got some champagne and carry-out and took my dog for a long walk and had a ball! My dog is a little confused as to why her furniture is in this strange place, and she's not sure where to peep when she goes outside (she's used to a yard), but so far, so good :D

Aine

Postby Aine » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:46 am

SMA22 wrote:Oh, I love it down here--the weather's great, the 'hood is a lot of fun, and after bleeding out on my kitchen floor, I got some champagne and carry-out and took my dog for a long walk and had a ball! My dog is a little confused as to why her furniture is in this strange place, and she's not sure where to peep when she goes outside (she's used to a yard), but so far, so good :D

That sounds like a great night!! You ended up in 420 E Ohio right?

SMA22

Postby SMA22 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:09 pm

Aine wrote:
SMA22 wrote:Oh, I love it down here--the weather's great, the 'hood is a lot of fun, and after bleeding out on my kitchen floor, I got some champagne and carry-out and took my dog for a long walk and had a ball! My dog is a little confused as to why her furniture is in this strange place, and she's not sure where to peep when she goes outside (she's used to a yard), but so far, so good :D

I did, and so far the building has not disappointed; I'm really happy I chose this location. Today the weather was also awesome, and there were a ton of people out and about. I have to leave town this weekend but am looking forward to some $hopping and brunch down here once I'm back. That, and teaching my dog it's not okay to pee in the middle of the sidewalk (haven't quite gotten that through to her yet...) The beach is great, and the views of the lake are breathtaking--you guys will love it :D

Things are expensive down here, but not too outrageous. I did bring my car and found a good deal for parking; the cable option in my building is kind of costly, so I'm going to sleep on whether I can live without bad Lifetime dramas and Oxygen Channel for a few months. Dog parks so far get two paws up...

lawandi

Postby lawandi » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:11 pm

My roommate just backed out right before sending in our lease to Cityfront :(. And right AFTER I sent in my deposit. Grrrrrr..... Just when I thought my apartment search was over...
Any girls still looking for housing in Streeterville? The less expensive the better. I'm open to Onterie, Lake Shore, E Ohio, E Erie, and pretty much anything as long as it's within a 15 minute walk from campus.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:30 pm

SMA22 wrote:
Aine wrote:

I did, and so far the building has not disappointed; I'm really happy I chose this location. Today the weather was also awesome, and there were a ton of people out and about. I have to leave town this weekend but am looking forward to some $hopping and brunch down here once I'm back. That, and teaching my dog it's not okay to pee in the middle of the sidewalk (haven't quite gotten that through to her yet...) The beach is great, and the views of the lake are breathtaking--you guys will love it :D

Things are expensive down here, but not too outrageous. I did bring my car and found a good deal for parking; the cable option in my building is kind of costly, so I'm going to sleep on whether I can live without bad Lifetime dramas and Oxygen Channel for a few months. Dog parks so far get two paws up...

Isn't 420 E Ohio one of the more expensive buildings near the school? Seems like at $1400/mo for a studio (+ parking), cable would be a drop in the bucket. :shock: Looks awesome, though.

Question for all: I was looking at apartment buildings in Streeterville online a while ago, and I swear I found some with utilities and even sometimes cable/internet included. Was I hallucinating?

ETA Another question for all: what are the thoughts about walking from just across the river (I guess that's River North?), like the Columbus Plaza building on E Wacker? Google maps says it's a 0.6 mile walk (15 min) or a 13 minute bus ride (for when it's freezing-ass cold).

Aine

Postby Aine » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:28 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Question for all: I was looking at apartment buildings in Streeterville online a while ago, and I swear I found some with utilities and even sometimes cable/internet included. Was I hallucinating?

Not hallucinating. A lot of the big ones do that --McClurg, Lake Plaza, etc etc. It's the least they can do for charging such astronomical prices :)

Rinkrat, what are you gonna do with your deferral?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:49 pm

Aine wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Question for all: I was looking at apartment buildings in Streeterville online a while ago, and I swear I found some with utilities and even sometimes cable/internet included. Was I hallucinating?

Not hallucinating. A lot of the big ones do that --McClurg, Lake Plaza, etc etc. It's the least they can do for charging such astronomical prices :)

Rinkrat, what are you gonna do with your deferral?

Thanks, Aine. Comforting to know I'm not inventing things before LS stress even starts.
I'm taking the deferral, and will be matriculating fall 2012. In the meantime, I'll be lurking around here and learning from all your mistakes and triumphs. 8)

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:02 pm

Anyone planning on going to North Coast Festival on Labor Day weekend?

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”