Northwestern Law Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
homestyle28

Gold

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Post by homestyle28 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:21 pm

awilson11 wrote:Does anyone know if the FinAid app is reviewed by the same people as the initial application? The first question is basically asking for a Why NU? essay, which I wrote. I think it is the best piece of law school related writing I have done (better than my personal statement), and I think it played a role in my admittance (especially considering that I sent no LOR's). I'd like to reuse it if I can. Also, if different people review the apps, would't I want to send them something like this that they haven't seen?
I think most people overlap the two topics, I know I did.

awilson11

Bronze

Post by awilson11 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:22 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
awilson11 wrote:Does anyone know if the FinAid app is reviewed by the same people as the initial application? The first question is basically asking for a Why NU? essay, which I wrote. I think it is the best piece of law school related writing I have done (better than my personal statement), and I think it played a role in my admittance (especially considering that I sent no LOR's). I'd like to reuse it if I can. Also, if different people review the apps, would't I want to send them something like this that they haven't seen?
Did you just resubmit the same essay? Or rewrite it?

awilson11

Bronze

Post by awilson11 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:24 pm

awilson11 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Also, would the second question be a good place to bring up the 80k I got from Texas? As support for my position for merit aid?

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:37 pm

awilson11 wrote:
awilson11 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Also, would the second question be a good place to bring up the 80k I got from Texas? As support for my position for merit aid?
I did re-write it, but mostly to change some phrasing from my why NU essay. My why NU essay focused a bit more on the school instead of my career goals, but the points were all similar.

I would wait until you hear about $$ from NU to mention the other $$ you have out there.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:50 pm

awilson11 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
I wouldn't just re-use the same essay. The topics are going to be extremely similar and I'm sure you can get away with mentioning some of the same stuff, but I'd be willing to bet that whoever is deciding FinAid will have your whole app package in front of them, not just the supplemental essay questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:18 pm

I am using much of the same essay, but adding more. The scholarship has a 300-500word requirement, while the "Why NU?" essay submitted with the application was supposed to be limited to two paragraphs.

It is the second prompt that I am having trouble with. I got the need based part down, just how to talk about my position for merit aid is what is stumping me. Are you guys mentioning competing scholarship offers? Most of the schools (all but 1) have yet to release scholarship info, should I mention that I will keep NU apprised on future scholarship offers? I am not entirely sure what else to include. I don't really see the need of coming out and blatantly saying, blah blah my LSAT is in the top X percentile and above your 75%... I mean, they already know what my LSAT is and they know that it is scored on a curved. Another thing that I am unsure of is if I should mention the traditional minority scoring scoring gap on the LSAT (I am a URM). Any pointers/suggestions would be welcomed! :mrgreen:

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:31 pm

ArchRoark wrote:I am using much of the same essay, but adding more. The scholarship has a 300-500word requirement, while the "Why NU?" essay submitted with the application was supposed to be limited to two paragraphs.

It is the second prompt that I am having trouble with. I got the need based part down, just how to talk about my position for merit aid is what is stumping me. Are you guys mentioning competing scholarship offers? Most of the schools (all but 1) have yet to release scholarship info, should I mention that I will keep NU apprised on future scholarship offers? I am not entirely sure what else to include. I don't really see the need of coming out and blatantly saying, blah blah my LSAT is in the top X percentile and above your 75%... I mean, they already know what my LSAT is and they know that it is scored on a curved. Another thing that I am unsure of is if I should mention the traditional minority scoring scoring gap on the LSAT (I am a URM). Any pointers/suggestions would be welcomed! :mrgreen:
My take on this was that they already have your LSAT, talk about something else. So I talked about the points on my resume that I am most proud of/think set me apart from the rest of you chumps ;) As most of us are straight from UG, we should have something on our resumes that's interesting, even from UG, you likely have clubs, honors theses, etc.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:17 pm

Have those of you that completed your finaid apps received a confirmation that your app is complete? I know last cycle I got an email saying they had all 3 parts, but haven't gotten anything yet (submitted last part late last week).

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:21 pm

homestyle28 wrote:Have those of you that completed your finaid apps received a confirmation that your app is complete? I know last cycle I got an email saying they had all 3 parts, but haven't gotten anything yet (submitted last part late last week).
Yeah, I got a confirmation email telling me they had all the pieces the day after I submitted, I think.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:25 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:Have those of you that completed your finaid apps received a confirmation that your app is complete? I know last cycle I got an email saying they had all 3 parts, but haven't gotten anything yet (submitted last part late last week).
Yeah, I got a confirmation email telling me they had all the pieces the day after I submitted, I think.
Thanks, I will investigate

adamdroog

New

Post by adamdroog » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:11 pm

The schedule for admitted students weekend is posted on the admitted students site. I am getting excited about NU and Chicago in general.

dddhhh

Bronze

Post by dddhhh » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:17 pm

adamdroog wrote:The schedule for admitted students weekend is posted on the admitted students site. I am getting excited about NU and Chicago in general.
The schedule looks awesome! Looks like its going to be a Thursday or really early Friday flight for me...

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:17 pm

dddhhh wrote:
adamdroog wrote:The schedule for admitted students weekend is posted on the admitted students site. I am getting excited about NU and Chicago in general.
The schedule looks awesome! Looks like its going to be a Thursday or really early Friday flight for me...
My only issue is with choosing 2 of the "Unique Educational Opportunities" info sessions. I want to go to all three!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dddhhh

Bronze

Post by dddhhh » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:05 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
dddhhh wrote:
My only issue is with choosing 2 of the "Unique Educational Opportunities" info sessions. I want to go to all three!
I was thinking the same...!!!

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:16 pm

Good catch. Can't wait to start meeting folks!

SMA22

Bronze

Post by SMA22 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:18 pm

Can't wait to meet all of you at ASW--trying to finish up my financial aid essays tonight, so I can afford to attend :D

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:51 pm

My deferral request was granted today!!! (FINALLY.) I guess I no longer belong in this thread since I'll be class of 2015, but I'll be coming to ASW this year anyway. I've never been to Chicago and want to see the campus before it's too late to panic and back out.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:56 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:My deferral request was granted today!!! (FINALLY.) I guess I no longer belong in this thread since I'll be class of 2015, but I'll be coming to ASW this year anyway. I've never been to Chicago and want to see the campus before it's too late to panic and back out.
Glad it worked out for you. I visited the campus last weekend and the location is amazing. The views of the lake from the library are spectacular. Also, the buildings felt less locked down than most urban campuses I have visited.

Hope you enjoy it too.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:58 pm

bdubs wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:My deferral request was granted today!!! (FINALLY.) I guess I no longer belong in this thread since I'll be class of 2015, but I'll be coming to ASW this year anyway. I've never been to Chicago and want to see the campus before it's too late to panic and back out.
Glad it worked out for you. I visited the campus last weekend and the location is amazing. The views of the lake from the library are spectacular. Also, the buildings felt less locked down than most urban campuses I have visited.

Hope you enjoy it too.
I concur.

gatorgirl4life

Bronze

Post by gatorgirl4life » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:02 pm

in via e-mail! i'm really shocked given that i'm 21 years old, have no real work experience, and didn't respond to the interview request.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:05 pm

gatorgirl4life wrote:in via e-mail! i'm really shocked given that i'm 21 years old, have no real work experience, and didn't respond to the interview request.
Congrats! I'm surprised that would let someone in with such bad tastes in schools to root for ;)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

casterfield

Bronze

Post by casterfield » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:07 pm

gatorgirl4life wrote:in via e-mail! i'm really shocked given that i'm 21 years old, have no real work experience, and didn't respond to the interview request.
Just got in as well! 22 and no work experience either! I really hope I got into the JD-LLM in Human Rights program. If I did, then this is my first choice!!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:07 pm

Congrats! They must've seen something they really liked in your app.

Are you seriously considering NU? You certainly have a nice selection of acceptances to choose from!

gatorgirl4life

Bronze

Post by gatorgirl4life » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:09 pm

thanks, everyone! but i'll probably withdraw soon.
edited: no need to wish luck to those already admitted haha

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:14 pm

casterfield wrote:
Just got in as well! 22 and no work experience either! I really hope I got into the JD-LLM in Human Rights program. If I did, then this is my first choice!!
Seems like they are low on URMs since they usually don't accept people without WE without stipulations (i.e. defer and work for a year to get a big scholarship)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”