Northwestern Law Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Fri May 06, 2011 6:17 am

FredFlinstone wrote:LOL. Typo...

Eugenia, you really don't mind taking a bus to school every day? And if it's before 9, do you just plan on staying on campus the entire day... or what? I'm just curious because I've been debating whether to live near campus or not. :?
I don't mind. I like having some space between home and school. Also I'm going to be living with someone, and we needed a mutually convenient location (blue line and a way to NU). And yes, I'm planning to bring a lunch and stay for the day most days. I don't do too well with crazy hours, and this seems the best way to keep things sane.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Fri May 06, 2011 8:20 am

cubswin wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Looking out around Berwyn, it's a working class neighborhood with affordable prices and lower property taxes. Also serviced by both the El and Metra
That's going to be quite a commute. But you can get some epic Mexican food in Berwyn.
Yeah :( and yeah! :D

ArghItsBlarg

Bronze

Post by ArghItsBlarg » Fri May 06, 2011 12:23 pm

Dude, my commute is an hour and a half each way. Berwyn is nothing.

Homestyle - it'll depend on where you want to live, but if you're buying don't restrict yourself to the immediate environs. Prices are a LOT cheaper as you get further away. I live in Lake County, which gives an automatic drop in property tax (although still twice as much as my parents pay in Arizona) and sales tax. Public transportation means you can get to the city from damn near anywhere. You're in a fantastic position to be buying property right now, as the market is glutted with short sales and the like. Hell, if you want to live further north than me (but close to the same train line that I take) I've got friends trying to sell their house for around $110k. Perfect for a small family!

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:35 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:Dude, my commute is an hour and a half each way. Berwyn is nothing.

Homestyle - it'll depend on where you want to live, but if you're buying don't restrict yourself to the immediate environs. Prices are a LOT cheaper as you get further away. I live in Lake County, which gives an automatic drop in property tax (although still twice as much as my parents pay in Arizona) and sales tax. Public transportation means you can get to the city from damn near anywhere. You're in a fantastic position to be buying property right now, as the market is glutted with short sales and the like. Hell, if you want to live further north than me (but close to the same train line that I take) I've got friends trying to sell their house for around $110k. Perfect for a small family!
I'm hoping to keep the commute under an hour via transit. But I do think that it's a good time to buy in Chitown for sure. Hard to imagine that homes that have dropped ~40% of value can drop much more. and from a cash flow perspective we're looking at ~1300/month all told to buy 3-4 beds, and you just can't find apartments with that kind of space for that price.

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Fri May 06, 2011 1:39 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:Dude, my commute is an hour and a half each way. Berwyn is nothing.

It's over an hour, with 2 transfers. I'd certainly call that something, even if your commute is worse.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri May 06, 2011 2:10 pm

cubswin wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:Looking out around Berwyn, it's a working class neighborhood with affordable prices and lower property taxes. Also serviced by both the El and Metra
That's going to be quite a commute. But you can get some epic Mexican food in Berwyn.
Is the corollary of this that one must commute an hour out of downtown to find decent Mexican food in Chicago? :|

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Fri May 06, 2011 2:13 pm

While I'm not saying it's nothing, at least there's a solid 1/2 hour on 1 train, I'm hoping that makes for easier commuting.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri May 06, 2011 2:14 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
cubswin wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:Looking out around Berwyn, it's a working class neighborhood with affordable prices and lower property taxes. Also serviced by both the El and Metra
Is the corollary of this that one must commute an hour out of downtown to find decent Mexican food in Chicago? :|
No, i have had really good Mexican food in the Lakeview area. You could also do upscale Mexican at Topolobampo, but that is not an every day thing :-)

I would like suggestions for what current Chicagoans think is the "best" Mexican in the city.

SMA22

Bronze

Post by SMA22 » Fri May 06, 2011 2:51 pm

bdubs wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
cubswin wrote:
No, i have had really good Mexican food in the Lakeview area. You could also do upscale Mexican at Topolobampo, but that is not an every day thing :-)

I would like suggestions for what current Chicagoans think is the "best" Mexican in the city.
I love anything down in Pilsen foodwise :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FredFlinstone

New

Post by FredFlinstone » Fri May 06, 2011 2:52 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
I don't mind. I like having some space between home and school. Also I'm going to be living with someone, and we needed a mutually convenient location (blue line and a way to NU). And yes, I'm planning to bring a lunch and stay for the day most days. I don't do too well with crazy hours, and this seems the best way to keep things sane.
Ahh... I see I see. Sounds like a good way to make sure you stay on top of your case summaries too!

EarlCat

Silver

Post by EarlCat » Fri May 06, 2011 10:32 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Is the corollary of this that one must commute an hour out of downtown to find decent Mexican food in Chicago? :|
I like Su Casa, which is pretty close to school.

Also, for those of you who don't want to commute to school, rent my apartment (LinkRemoved).

FredFlinstone

New

Post by FredFlinstone » Mon May 09, 2011 2:10 am

This forum is so dead...

What's on everyones to-do list this summer?

lawandi

Bronze

Post by lawandi » Mon May 09, 2011 2:20 am

FredFlinstone wrote:This forum is so dead...

Read a couple 0L books, find housing, figure out parking and gym membership, maybe buy some warm jackets (yuck).
Most of all... RELAX and mentally prepare myself!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:21 am

Dude, I've got a long to do do list

1) sell my house
2) buy a house
3) find childcare
4) Move
5) Get settled in
6) Get nerdy with MS Onenote
7) Reduce caffeine intake
8) drop 10 lbs

well it looks better typed out than when it's consuming space in my head.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Mon May 09, 2011 9:25 am

For me:
1) Finish Peace Corps service
2) Move back to America
3) Relearn English
4) Get tested for exotic diseases
5) Move to Chicago
Rock on!`

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:29 am

1)Inca Trail to Macchu Pichu in 3 weeks
2)Find an apartment in Chicago
3)Spend lots of time with friends this summer
4)Move to Chicago
5)Lollapalooza (ETA: I will probably have at least 5 people crashing on my floor the first weekend I'm living in Chicago for this. 8) )
6)Be a groomsman in a wedding
7)Start classes
8 )????
9)Profit

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Mon May 09, 2011 10:07 am

• Finish or transfer all my projects off to other people at my job
  • Hang out constantly with my girlfriend at the river
  • Get an apartment in Chicago
  • Buy a jacket
  • Get rid of 2/3 of my possessions so I can fit in said apartment.
  • Move
  • Get broken up with by aforementioned girlfriend because she doesn't want to date long distance
  • Drink
  • Drink
  • Drink
  • Buy books
  • Drink

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ArghItsBlarg

Bronze

Post by ArghItsBlarg » Mon May 09, 2011 10:16 am

Crap, Onenote. I forgot I have to learn that. Time to get my nerd on!

SMA22

Bronze

Post by SMA22 » Mon May 09, 2011 11:31 am

Bumi wrote:
  • Finish or transfer all my projects off to other people at my job
  • Hang out constantly with my girlfriend at the river
  • Get an apartment in Chicago
  • Buy a jacket
  • Get rid of 2/3 of my possessions so I can fit in said apartment.
  • Move
  • Get broken up with by aforementioned girlfriend because she doesn't want to date long distance
  • Drink
  • Drink
  • Drink
  • Buy books
  • Drink
Minus the whole breakup stuff, I'll generally be doing what you're doing...

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon May 09, 2011 12:34 pm

• Vaction in Turkey for 3 weeks!
  • Find a renter for my place
  • Rent a place in Chicago
  • Quit working (July cannot come soon enough)
  • Law Preview (yes, i'm that crazy)
  • Move to Chicago
  • Party hardy for 3-4 weeks (how serious is orientation?)
  • Stop messing around and start classes

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Mon May 09, 2011 1:12 pm

bdubs wrote:

• Vaction in Turkey for 3 weeks!
  • Find a renter for my place
  • Rent a place in Chicago
  • Quit working (July cannot come soon enough)
  • Law Preview (yes, i'm that crazy)
  • Move to Chicago
  • Party hardy for 3-4 weeks (how serious is orientation?)
  • Stop messing around and start classes
What is law preview?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon May 09, 2011 1:14 pm

splitmuch wrote:
What is law preview?
It's like a one week crash prep course for law school that some people (*cough* gunners *cough*) do

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon May 09, 2011 1:18 pm

Flips88 wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
What is law preview?
It's like a one week crash prep course for law school that some people (*cough* gunners *cough*) do
Yeah, it's a combination of gunnerishness and terror that is driving me to take it.

http://www.lawpreview.com/

SHarry3666

New

Post by SHarry3666 » Mon May 09, 2011 2:24 pm

There's a scholarship to Law Preview for Northwestern Admits sponsored by Latham & Watkins (http://www.lawpreview.com/latham-watkins). The application deadline is tomorrow -- 5/10. It seems like all you need to do to qualify is matriculate at NWU in the fall:
Latham & Watkins Law Preview Scholarship Criteria
To be eligible to become a Latham & Watkins Law Preview Scholarship recipient, applicants must be enrolled to begin classes at New York University School of Law, Northwestern University School of Law or University of Chicago Law School in the fall of 2011. Online applications are available and will be accepted now until May 10, 2011. A selection panel will evaluate all completed applications, and scholarship recipients will be notified via email by June 1, 2011.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon May 09, 2011 3:27 pm

SHarry3666 wrote:There's a scholarship to Law Preview for Northwestern Admits sponsored by Latham & Watkins (http://www.lawpreview.com/latham-watkins). The application deadline is tomorrow -- 5/10. It seems like all you need to do to qualify is matriculate at NWU in the fall:
Latham & Watkins Law Preview Scholarship Criteria
To be eligible to become a Latham & Watkins Law Preview Scholarship recipient, applicants must be enrolled to begin classes at New York University School of Law, Northwestern University School of Law or University of Chicago Law School in the fall of 2011. Online applications are available and will be accepted now until May 10, 2011. A selection panel will evaluate all completed applications, and scholarship recipients will be notified via email by June 1, 2011.
"The Latham & Watkins Law Preview Scholarship program is among several firm initiatives designed to promote diversity in the legal profession." -- I would think twice about spending time on an app unless you are a minority, particularly one of the under represented type.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”