Northwestern Law Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
bdubs

Gold

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Post by bdubs » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:04 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:So, yeah, no scholarships for me. I was a sad panda.

However, through circumstances which I don't yet feel privy to share in public, but which I will simply describe as "unprecedented and awesome," I've been offered a substantial scholarship if I transfer into the Accelerated JD program.

This, however, means that I'd start full time school in the middle of May, something I was definitely NOT prepared to do. We're making some serious reality checks right now.
Wow you are the second TLS poster to have been offered this. They must really be having a hard time filling that program (since it is not that big to begin with).

Aine

Bronze

Post by Aine » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:37 am

ArghItsBlarg wrote:
However, through circumstances which I don't yet feel privy to share in public, but which I will simply describe as "unprecedented and awesome," I've been offered a substantial scholarship if I transfer into the Accelerated JD program.
Um best.description.ever.

Congrats to you! I say take it. Definitely some downsides to the program (starting in May?! working through summers?!) BUT a substantial scholarship is a substantial scholarship. You'll still have a JD from NU. Which is a good thing no matter how you slice it.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:18 pm

Just had a chat with my roommate to be, and we're going to be paying $550 or $600/month next year. :D I can live with that!

Edit: What cell phone service works well in that general area? I have Verizon on a deferment while I'm abroad, and I need to tell them soon if I'll be keeping the plan or not.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:29 am

Does the COA include the cost of protective winter clothing designed for the arctic north?

Aine

Bronze

Post by Aine » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:06 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Just had a chat with my roommate to be, and we're going to be paying $550 or $600/month next year. :D I can live with that!

Edit: What cell phone service works well in that general area? I have Verizon on a deferment while I'm abroad, and I need to tell them soon if I'll be keeping the plan or not.
Where are you living that it's that cheap?!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:17 am

Aine wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:Just had a chat with my roommate to be, and we're going to be paying $550 or $600/month next year. :D I can live with that!

The area is called Wicker Park, I think. It's a 3 minute walk to the 66 stop and 17 minutes on the bus to campus (according to google maps).

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:02 am

My bro & sis in law live in the western Chicago burbs, but work downtown...she has ATT he has Verizon, he is constantly teasing her about her dropped calls. My understanding is that ATTs Chicago network is seriously overloaded. Who knows how the iphone will impact Verizon in the future...

ArghItsBlarg

Bronze

Post by ArghItsBlarg » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:09 am

With respect to cell coverage, AT&T had kind of iffy service for us back in 2003-04 and were near Evanston. It got better when we moved out to the suburbs, but still nothing to write home about. I've had T-mobile since... '08 or so, certainly as long as I've been commuting into the City, and it's rare (but not never) that I ever get a dropped call. I can't speak to their data plan as I'm cheap. AT&T and Verizon are pretty overloaded. Sprint is supposed to have a strong presence around here, but I can't back that up anecdotally or factually, just via hearsay.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:46 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:With respect to cell coverage, AT&T had kind of iffy service for us back in 2003-04 and were near Evanston. It got better when we moved out to the suburbs, but still nothing to write home about. I've had T-mobile since... '08 or so, certainly as long as I've been commuting into the City, and it's rare (but not never) that I ever get a dropped call. I can't speak to their data plan as I'm cheap. AT&T and Verizon are pretty overloaded. Sprint is supposed to have a strong presence around here, but I can't back that up anecdotally or factually, just via hearsay.
Oh good, I just re-upped with Sprint to get the Evo (love it). I've already had to break a Verizon contract (before they reduced the ETF, of course) once when I moved to a coverage hole, the existence of which Verizon denied.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:59 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Aine wrote:

The area is called Wicker Park, I think. It's a 3 minute walk to the 66 stop and 17 minutes on the bus to campus (according to google maps).
Hopefully, you don't mind hipsters.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:41 pm

cubswin wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Aine wrote:

Hopefully, you don't mind hipsters.
Well, they're not my preferred social scene, but a lack/presence of them is not a major consideration in housing.

Aine

Bronze

Post by Aine » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:55 am

Came across this during my daily perusal of news/legal blogs: http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... allen.html

I don't have an opinion on DVZ either way (for the obvious reason that, as I've never been a student at NU law, I don't know enough about how his policies affected the school) --but I thought it was an interesting read nonetheless.

Thought you all might be interested as well!

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:41 am

Aine wrote:Came across this during my daily perusal of news/legal blogs: http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... allen.html

I don't have an opinion on DVZ either way (for the obvious reason that, as I've never been a student at NU law, I don't know enough about how his policies affected the school) --but I thought it was an interesting read nonetheless.

Thought you all might be interested as well!
Interesting read. Thanks. It's hard to know how this might resonate among faculty at NU...also seems like he's only concerned with the Dean's impact on the faculty, not so much concerned with students and their job placement...it would be interesting to see a point- counterpoint with someone who likes what DVZ did.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tipler4213

Silver

Post by tipler4213 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:42 am

Just for clarity's sake--does everyone else read NU's financial aid offers as non-binding? As in, I can pay the deposit and accept their offer of admission but remain pending/waitlisted/accepted at other schools if I am willing to potentially lose $750?

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:52 am

tipler4213 wrote:Just for clarity's sake--does everyone else read NU's financial aid offers as non-binding? As in, I can pay the deposit and accept their offer of admission but remain pending/waitlisted/accepted at other schools if I am willing to potentially lose $750?
I think this is definitely the case. You can back out at the cost of $750.

ArghItsBlarg

Bronze

Post by ArghItsBlarg » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:40 am

For those offered scholarships - Did any of you have GPA requirements? I've read and re-read my letter and it doesn't mention any level of grade maintenance.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:41 am

ArghItsBlarg wrote:For those offered scholarships - Did any of you have GPA requirements? I've read and re-read my letter and it doesn't mention any level of grade maintenance.
I am pretty sure NU doesn't offer scholarships with any stipulations other than good standing (i.e. not failing out).

IIRC none of the T14 schools use stipulations on their scholarships.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dddhhh

Bronze

Post by dddhhh » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:44 am

So is the consensus that if you received the loan package email but no scholarship/grant notification you are paying sticker?

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:04 am

dddhhh wrote:So is the consensus that if you received the loan package email but no scholarship/grant notification you are paying sticker?
That would certainly be my take

dddhhh

Bronze

Post by dddhhh » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:21 am

homestyle28 wrote:
dddhhh wrote:So is the consensus that if you received the loan package email but no scholarship/grant notification you are paying sticker?
That would certainly be my take

I figured that too, just wanted to see if anyone had since gotten that "no more money" email.

ArghItsBlarg

Bronze

Post by ArghItsBlarg » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:53 pm

I never got the "out of money" email, just the "here's your 70k in loans" email. I called and confirmed that I wasn't getting any scholarship.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

xtine

Bronze

Post by xtine » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:08 pm

arg! where is my email? :(

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:17 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:I never got the "out of money" email, just the "here's your 70k in loans" email. I called and confirmed that I wasn't getting any scholarship.
Ironically, I got the "here is you 70k in loans email" after getting my "here's your tiny scholly" email...not that I'm complaining! I just can't wait to ask them at ASW if you can borrow EVEN MOAR MONEY for child care costs!

FWIW word on the street is that Jill the finaid person had her baby yesterday and has begun maternity leave.

ArghItsBlarg

Bronze

Post by ArghItsBlarg » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:37 pm

Yeah, she's on her leave now. I got her vacation message when I contacted her yesterday.

Homestyle - I just asked specifically about increases in cost of living for daycare and the like. I was told that they are made "at the discretion of the central fin aid office within federal financial aid regulations." Sounds like a case-by-case basis.

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:05 pm

Anyone know who we should contact about financial aid now that she's on maternity leave? (Also, since Johann clearly reads this, tell her congrats from TLS :-))

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”