UVA Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
iwanta170

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby iwanta170 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:17 pm

Last edited by iwanta170 on Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:21 pm

My gpa is 3.87. I am glad I'm above their median. Do I get bonus points because I'm graduating from an Ivy?

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:21 pm

iwanta170 wrote:I just entered my numbers into a GPA calculator. Based on the way my fall courses are going, I am very confident that my LSDAS GPA will be rising from 3.84 to 3.86/3.87. However, by then I may already be waitlisted/rejected because of my GPA being 3.84, thus .01 below their median. It'll probably be too late

This really blows...I'm going to keep on believing though..it's not over until the fat lady sings!

Hope you get in, but I think you probably should have waited to ED until your numbers were above one of their medians.

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:22 pm

Hey UVAers, how long does it usually take an ED app to go under review (submitted tonight)?

Thanks.

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:24 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:I just entered my numbers into a GPA calculator. Based on the way my fall courses are going, I am very confident that my LSDAS GPA will be rising from 3.84 to 3.86/3.87. However, by then I may already be waitlisted/rejected because of my GPA being 3.84, thus .01 below their median. It'll probably be too late

This really blows...I'm going to keep on believing though..it's not over until the fat lady sings!

Hope you get in, but I think you probably should have waited to ED until your numbers were above one of their medians.

What if one number (the GPA is above their median), but the lsat is below their 25th percentile? (163). How do reverse splitters applying ED fare in the admission process at UVA?
Also, I'm latino

LSU Undergrad

Postby LSU Undergrad » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:43 pm

Masterthearts, to answer your questions:

No you do not get bonus points for graduating from an Ivy.

"I think undergrad DOES MATTER. A 3.9 at an Ivy is NOT the same as a 3.9 at your state school or college no one ever heard of.
At an Ivy, the law schools know you got that 3.9 competing against some of the brightest kids in the country. A 3.9 at your state univ. means" (YOU POSTED THIS)

You even posted that you think this is a myth, which 99.9% of evidence refutes. If you know better than us, then I do not know why you are asking.

UVA is quite favorable to reverse splitters who ED, but generally if the GPA is above the 75th percentile (3.92).

I'm not familiar with what Latinos are considered URMs etc., but if you are considered a URM then that will work in your favor obviously.

Quite frankly, if you are going to steadfastly hold on to the idea that you are somehow superior to us common state school folks for attending an Ivy, you are not going to earn yourself any favors.

Just another note: All three of the key admissions figures at UVA attended state schools other than UVA for undergrad and then UVA for JD.

Or you can just continue to live in your own fantasy land and think you know better than everyone.
Last edited by LSU Undergrad on Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:47 pm

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:47 pm

LSU Undergrad wrote:Masterthearts, to answer your questions:

"The "undergrad doesn't matter" mantra is an utter myth, both in admissions and employment. It doesn't matter enough to justify paying $50,000/yr, but if you think the Berkeley guy with a 172/3.7 isn't going to beat the U. Kentucky guy with a 173/3.8 more times than not, you are mistaken. I think undergrad DOES MATTER. A 3.9 at an Ivy is NOT the same as a 3.9 at your state school or college no one ever heard of.
At an Ivy, the law schools know you got that 3.9 competing against some of the brightest kids in the country. A 3.9 at your state univ. means" (YOU POSTED THIS)

You even posted that you think this is a myth, which 99.9% of evidence refutes. If you know better than us, then I do not know why you are asking.

UVA is quite favorable to reverse splitters who ED, but generally if the GPA is above the 75th percentile (3.92).

I'm not familiar with what Latinos are considered URMs etc., but if you are considered a URM then that will work in your favor obviously.

Quite frankly, if you are going to steadfastly hold on to the idea that you are somehow superior to us common state school folks for attending an Ivy, you are not going to earn yourself any favors.

Just another note: All three of the key admissions figures at UVA attended state schools other than UVA for undergrad and then UVA for JD.

Or you can just continue to live in your own fantasy land and think you know better than everyone.

Undergrad doesn't matter.

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:59 pm

RVP11 wrote:

"The "undergrad doesn't matter" mantra is an utter myth, both in admissions and employment. It doesn't matter enough to justify paying $50,000/yr, but if you think the Berkeley guy with a 172/3.7 isn't going to beat the U. Kentucky guy with a 173/3.8 more times than not, you are mistaken. I think undergrad DOES MATTER. A 3.9 at an Ivy is NOT the same as a 3.9 at your state school or college no one ever heard of.

Will, I'll tell you an interesting story.
A friend of my dad attended Georgetown 30 years ago. When it came time for job interviews, the recruiteers were VERY interested in interviewing a student who didn't do so great at Georgetown. BUT, he graduated from Columbia. Everyone felt this was the reason why the recruiters were very interested in interviewing this mediocre law student...because he graduated from Columbia.
I think IVY counts for something. Someone on these boards has repeatedly said that the people in the legal profession are prestige whores. Is this true?

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:03 pm

YCrevolution wrote:

LSP suggests that your undergrad really doesn't matter that much. For admissions, USNWR factors in LSAT and GPA, not prestige of the undergraduate institution.

did you pull out whether they were inside the 25/75, and whether they were above a 3.0? i've honestly always had a hard time believing that quality of undergrad doesn't matter, and i've heard people from ivys saying that they had data from their schools showing their students did better on average than the masses. once you leave the 25/75 range of gpa and lsat, us news rankings should have no effect whatsoever on whether or not a student is considered - all an adcomm should do at that point is decide whether or not the student would be a good wahoo. at this point, signaling matters a great deal, and a 3.5 at an ivy, or a 3.5 in math/engineering is a stronger signal of academic success than a 3.5 at big state u*. therefore, outside of the 25/75, i've always suspected that strength of undergrad matters a fair bit. of course, within the 25/75, pretty much all schools do a fair amount of ranking gaming, so a student who might appear to be academically weaker might trump a student who appears to be academically stronger if they would advance the ranking.

*i say this having come from big state u.
Last edited by dailygrind on Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:05 pm

masterthearts wrote:Will, I'll tell you an interesting story.
A friend of my dad attended Georgetown 30 years ago. When it came time for job interviews, the recruiteers were VERY interested in interviewing a student who didn't do so great at Georgetown. BUT, he graduated from Columbia. Everyone felt this was the reason why the recruiters were very interested in interviewing this mediocre law student...because he graduated from Columbia.
I think IVY counts for something. Someone on these boards has repeatedly said that the people in the legal profession are prestige whores. Is this true?

Let me summarize masterthearts posts thus far:

Statistics? But ANECDOTES!!!

This is a 2014 UVA thread, start a new thread if you want to debate this, or better yet, search for one of the dozens of old threads that have already beaten this dead horse into wood glue.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:07 pm

LSU Undergrad wrote:I feel for everyone still waiting and wish you all the best of luck.

A question for the fortunate admitted students: Is there any incentive to paying your seat deposit early? When do you get access to your UVA Law email for instance or access to the stuff current students can see? Anyone have any idea? Perhaps those who deferred until this year?

When I was accepted on September 3rd, I asked Director Faulk, 'What do I do now?!' He said, 'It's September. You don't need to do anything but enjoy it for about eight months.'

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:39 pm

masterthearts wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

Will, I'll tell you an interesting story.

but my name's not Will, and even mega-prestigious law firms don't really seem to care that much about quality of undergrad. It might save you if you did really well at HYP but didn't do so hot in law school, but for 95% of people it makes no difference. You are just one student in a parade of 20 students over 8 hours and there are dozens of other more important factors at work.

This is a rough layout of where it is nice to have gone, in descending order:

1. Same UG as interviewer
2. Same UG as interviewer's spouse/child
3. UG near where law firm is
4. HYP
5. All others

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:52 am

Dumb question: How do you check your application status? Do you do it through LSAC or the UVA site?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:10 pm

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:29 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Capitalist wrote:Dumb question: How do you check your application status? Do you do it through LSAC or the UVA site?

UVA.

Do they send you a username and password so you can check it?

Sorry, I'm so lost with this stuff.

broker02

Postby broker02 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:32 pm

They usually send it when your app goes complete.

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:41 pm

broker02 wrote:They usually send it when your app goes complete.

Ok, thanks.

tommynobody

Postby tommynobody » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:55 pm

LSU Undergrad wrote:I feel for everyone still waiting and wish you all the best of luck.

A question for the fortunate admitted students: Is there any incentive to paying your seat deposit early? When do you get access to your UVA Law email for instance or access to the stuff current students can see? Anyone have any idea? Perhaps those who deferred until this year?

You don't get access to the UVa email until late in the summer, well past the seat deposit deadlines. So to that end, there's no real incentive to paying them early.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:05 pm

mistermister

Postby mistermister » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:51 pm

was anybody admitted/rejected/waitlisted today? if so, when was your ED agreement processed? Mine was processed late on Tuesday.... based on the silence, starting to brace myself for a ding.

Postby 2014 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:29 pm

mistermister wrote:was anybody admitted/rejected/waitlisted today? if so, when was your ED agreement processed? Mine was processed late on Tuesday.... based on the silence, starting to brace myself for a ding.

I think you are jumping the gun on worrying if your app has only been in for 3 days.

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:46 pm

I am hearing that some people get accepted the day after their ED file goes complete. How quickly do they reject ED applicants after everything is complete? Can people tell me how quickly they got a rejection? Is it by email, or snail mail?

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:51 pm

My app went "Complete" today according to LSAC report. So when should I be expecting a username and password to access my status checker?

mistermister

Postby mistermister » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:07 pm

2014 wrote:
mistermister wrote:was anybody admitted/rejected/waitlisted today? if so, when was your ED agreement processed? Mine was processed late on Tuesday.... based on the silence, starting to brace myself for a ding.

I think you are jumping the gun on worrying if your app has only been in for 3 days.

I haven't heard of too many ED acceptance more than a day or two. Lots are within hours!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”