UVA Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
UVAWSOME
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:43 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby UVAWSOME » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:55 pm

Accepted via ED today!!!

I considered sending in my ED for two weeks, and finally decided UVA was the school I wanted to attend most. I couldn’t be happier, especially given how quickly I found out that I was admitted (sent in my contract yesterday).

Congratulations to all of the other admitted students!!! I look forward to meeting ya’ll next fall.

Also, if anyone is in the Austin area and wants to get together PM a brother!!!

BTW. Thank you for posting so much information regarding housing… my search begins tomorrow…

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby ArchRoark » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:55 pm

UVAWSOME wrote:Accepted via ED today!!!

I considered sending in my ED for two weeks, and finally decided UVA was the school I wanted to attend most. I couldn’t be happier, especially given how quickly I found out that I was admitted (sent in my contract yesterday).

Congratulations to all of the other admitted students!!! I look forward to meeting ya’ll next fall.

Also, if anyone is in the Austin area and wants to get together PM a brother!!!

BTW. Thank you for posting so much information regarding housing… my search begins tomorrow…


Congrats! and pm'd

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:59 pm

esq wrote:The Jeffersonian apartments seem decent enough. Anyone know about the Hessian Hills apartments, 3 bdrm 1.5 bath + W/D? Are they bigger than the Jeffersonians? I know it's a bit further than apartments on Arlington Blvd, but we have a little guy, so a good price on a multi-room apartment is very appealing.


I'd highly recommend looking for a house - you should be able to find a small 2 bedroom rancher or duplex for ~ 850-1000 in decent neighborhoods.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby 005618502 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:18 pm

Tiva wrote:
UVAWSOME wrote:Accepted via ED today!!!

I considered sending in my ED for two weeks, and finally decided UVA was the school I wanted to attend most. I couldn’t be happier, especially given how quickly I found out that I was admitted (sent in my contract yesterday).

Congratulations to all of the other admitted students!!! I look forward to meeting ya’ll next fall.

Also, if anyone is in the Austin area and wants to get together PM a brother!!!

BTW. Thank you for posting so much information regarding housing… my search begins tomorrow…


Congrats! and pm'd


I pm'd also. live in Austin and headin to UVA as well :)

User avatar
swinger
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby swinger » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:00 pm

Live in Ivy Gardens. Period. Its a 5-8 minute walk to class, 3-5 minute walk to the gym, 2 pools, GREAT apartments, cheap rent, AND way more 1Ls live in Ivy than anywhere else, so its one of the main hubs for extracurricular activities (and yes, there are PLENTY of those here.)

As far as finding a roommate goes, if you live in Ivy they have a database, but really the best way to do it is to post a "personal-esque" ad on the UVA Law 2014 facebook and let people know what you're looking for. You will get tons of replies and you can pick the person you think you will get along best with. Thats what I did and my roommate is the bee's knees and the cat's pajamas. In fact I am sitting in his room while writing this.

And as JawsTheGreat put it, "meeting" as many people as you can before school starts is the way to go. A fair amount of people joined a group made by one of us that just advertised one of our interests so we could all hang out and meet before school starts. These are now my closest friends that I hang out with when I am not with my section. Its important to make friends OUTSIDE of your section because you spend SO much time with them... worst case scenario=your best friend at school is in your section, on all your softball teams, and demands spending all his free time with you. Sorry Jaws.

User avatar
swinger
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby swinger » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:11 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
Legit. Is this the every-Thursday keg in Spies that a 3L told me about during my tour?


Yep, every Thursday around 3 or 4, which is perfect because you can migrate straight from the Keg to the Drunk League softball game right across the street. Oh yea, then you have bar review that night.


When you are in the library until 11 PM three days in a row its nice to have a Thursday like this. :D


lol nice. Here's hoping I don't get assigned a Friday 8 AM class.


8:50 Crim with Anne Coughlin is very very interesting on Fridays


It's just as interesting on Wednesdays when JawsTheGreat is too busy stumblingupon and not paying attention. Cold calls, kids... learn what they are, learn how to react to them.

But its ok, JawsTheGreat pitched in college.

User avatar
CGI Fridays
Posts: 897
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby CGI Fridays » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:26 pm

This thread catalyzed my newly-held hope to join your ranks.
I take the October LSAT. I really hope I clear the 170 mark. Totally possible.

ED: no deadline? They don't have one on the relevant web page or pdf form.
If I ED in the first week of November, do you figure the 170 auto-admit trend will still be in effect? (GPA 3.2-3.6)

User avatar
swinger
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby swinger » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:32 pm

CGI Fridays wrote:This thread catalyzed my newly-held hope to join your ranks.
I take the October LSAT. I really hope I clear the 170 mark. Totally possible.

ED: no deadline? They don't have one on the relevant web page or pdf form.
If I ED in the first week of November, do you figure the 170 auto-admit trend will still be in effect? (GPA 3.2-3.6)


Obviously you should try not to think about it until AFTER your LSAT. Even if I were to tell you 'yes, you will definitely get in with your 170' would you simply aim for a 170? No, you would shoot for that 180 and study your ass off. The higher your score, the higher your chances...

Moral of the story, study hard, crush the October LSAT, fill out prelim apps to all the schools you WANT to attend, and when you get your score back THEN you ask what your chances are.

Good luck! This is a great place, we find ourselves asking "How is this a T10 law school?" all the time. We hope you can join us!

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1920
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:33 pm

Xaintes wrote:
Tiva wrote:
Xaintes wrote:Any perspective on Jeffersonian Apartments on Arlington Blvd? I have a dog, so I'm only looking at places that take pets.


Same. Going to be extra hard for me since my dog is greater then 50lbs and is one of the most common "restricted breeds." Irresponsible pet owners who through their actions give my dog's breed, who is btw the sweetest ever, a bad reputation frustrates me. I would be grateful for any suggestions on apartments to look at that do not have pet breed or weight restrictions.


What kind of dog do you have? I have a mini schnauzer... he's only 20 lb so it'll probably be easier for me :-/

Jeffersonian Apartments has a limit of 50 lb for ground level apartments, and the dog has to be at least 2 years old. I'd really prefer a place with hardwood floors though (better for allergies and for pets), but who knows if that will be possible if I'm trying to keep costs down.

And general question - do you recommend living alone or trying to find a roommate? I live with my fiance now, but he won't be moving down until my second year... so I'll either be living alone or with a roommate.


Charlottesville does not seem to be a very dog friendly place to rent an apartment. In terms of reasonably priced one bedrooms (or at least what I figure this board would consider to be reasonably priced), it didn't seem like there were many options outside of the Jeffersonian(which wasn't an option because I waited too late). Barracks West and University Heights allow dogs, but I wasn't super keen on either complex for differing reasons. You can find some small complexes, garage apartments and 4plexes here and there, but it's not easy. So my advice is that if you have a dog and find a place that is acceptable for you, don't hesitate to pull the trigger.
Last edited by Stringer Bell on Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby 005618502 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:33 pm

CGI Fridays wrote:This thread catalyzed my newly-held hope to join your ranks.
I take the October LSAT. I really hope I clear the 170 mark. Totally possible.

ED: no deadline? They don't have one on the relevant web page or pdf form.
If I ED in the first week of November, do you figure the 170 auto-admit trend will still be in effect? (GPA 3.2-3.6)


First off that is a HUGE GPA range.... second have everything in plus the ED form before your LSAT score is released because even if you dont get a 170+ its still worth throwing a shot out there

User avatar
CGI Fridays
Posts: 897
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby CGI Fridays » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:46 pm

jt1341 wrote:First off that is a HUGE GPA range....

True. But right now they all seem to be admit material with a 170+: http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/?whichCycle=1011
(Granted, those people probably had the rest of their app on lock, plus this is a tiny sample size)

jt1341 wrote:second have everything in plus the ED form before your LSAT score is released because even if you dont get a 170+ its still worth throwing a shot out there

Wow, I'm really glad you said that because I assumed the exact opposite was the way to go (in case they sneak peaks before the app's gone complete, & get a bad first impression based on a below-median GPA). Unless someone pipes in to disagree with this plan, I'm going with it.

User avatar
swinger
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby swinger » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:51 pm

Wow, I'm really glad you said that because I assumed the exact opposite was the way to go (in case they sneak peaks before the app's gone complete, & get a bad first impression based on a below-median GPA). Unless someone pipes in to disagree with this plan, I'm going with it.[/quote]

If you're positive this is the place you wanna be then of course get everything in ASAP, especially the ED form. They really put a lot of stock into that, I had applied regular decision (very late in the season) and then realized UVA was the place for me. Sent in the ED form and bam, next day call. Aim high, just make sure you ace that test.

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby ArchRoark » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:18 am

How late in the season are we talkin about swinger? Mind sharing your numbers or if you got awarded scholly money?

turkeysub
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:48 am

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby turkeysub » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:20 am

There needs to be a UVa 2010 applicants thread separate from this thread...

User avatar
swinger
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby swinger » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:40 am

Tiva wrote:How late in the season are we talkin about swinger? Mind sharing your numbers or if you got awarded scholly money?


Late= Late January. I took the December LSAT. PM me for numbers/scholly info, dont want my friends on here to know how awesome I am.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby sundance95 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:21 am

turkeysub wrote:There needs to be a UVa 2010 applicants thread separate from this thread...


+1

User avatar
alex_cryp
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 10:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby alex_cryp » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:57 pm

Hi Everyone!

I got an email at 1:30pm telling me that they had received my early decision binding form. At 3:30pm the dean of admissions called me and welcomed me to the class of 2014! So excited!

For those who are wondering: 165/3.95. 4 years working as a youth programs director in Indian Country. Non-URM.

Xaintes
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:27 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby Xaintes » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:48 pm

Congrats to those who have gotten in! Very excited to meet everyone next year :)

Anyone living in the DC/NoVA area?

turkeysub
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:48 am

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby turkeysub » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:52 pm

congrats!

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby Bumi » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:32 am

Well, I'm pretty sure at this point that I didn't get into UVA ED. I started the process thinking I wouldn't hear until near the end of the 15 days, but it seems like everyone who got in got the acceptance call the day after their application went final, if not sooner. I assume it's pretty unusual to get in off the waitlist if you were ED, right?

My LSAT is well above their 75th percentile, but my GPA is well below their 25th. I figured it would be a long shot, but it's so far and away my first choice that I really was hoping I'd get it.

Enjoy Charlottesville, you guys who got in! You're going to a fantastic school.

User avatar
swinger
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby swinger » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:48 am

Bumi wrote:Well, I'm pretty sure at this point that I didn't get into UVA ED. I started the process thinking I wouldn't hear until near the end of the 15 days, but it seems like everyone who got in got the acceptance call the day after their application went final, if not sooner. I assume it's pretty unusual to get in off the waitlist if you were ED, right?

My LSAT is well above their 75th percentile, but my GPA is well below their 25th. I figured it would be a long shot, but it's so far and away my first choice that I really was hoping I'd get it.

Enjoy Charlottesville, you guys who got in! You're going to a fantastic school.


Send in a letter of continued interest explaining how much you REALLY want to go (and give smart reasons, like professors you are looking forward to working with, programs they have that interest you, and softball). Couldn't hurt but really can help

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby Bumi » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:29 am

swinger wrote:Send in a letter of continued interest explaining how much you REALLY want to go (and give smart reasons, like professors you are looking forward to working with, programs they have that interest you, and softball). Couldn't hurt but really can help
Once I get my waitlist notification, I will definitely do this. Can't hurt. But as of right now, I haven't heard anything one way or the other - I'm just assuming the worst since so many people were accepted so quick. Do you think it would be a good idea to send in an email mid-way through the ED window?

I cut several things from my "Why Virginia?" essay so it wouldn't be more than a double-spaced page, so I certainly do have some more tangible things I could mention about why I want to go there.

User avatar
swinger
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby swinger » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:46 am

Bumi wrote:
swinger wrote:Send in a letter of continued interest explaining how much you REALLY want to go (and give smart reasons, like professors you are looking forward to working with, programs they have that interest you, and softball). Couldn't hurt but really can help
Once I get my waitlist notification, I will definitely do this. Can't hurt. But as of right now, I haven't heard anything one way or the other - I'm just assuming the worst since so many people were accepted so quick. Do you think it would be a good idea to send in an email mid-way through the ED window?

I cut several things from my "Why Virginia?" essay so it wouldn't be more than a double-spaced page, so I certainly do have some more tangible things I could mention about why I want to go there.


i would REALLY still recommend sending something in now. Once you get put on the waitlist at UVA it can be a death sentence. Sending it in after getting put on the list might not do you much good, as weird as it sounds. I would definitely send something solid in now. It can ONLY help.

sherpaorlawschool
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby sherpaorlawschool » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:03 pm

Bumi wrote:Well, I'm pretty sure at this point that I didn't get into UVA ED. I started the process thinking I wouldn't hear until near the end of the 15 days, but it seems like everyone who got in got the acceptance call the day after their application went final, if not sooner. I assume it's pretty unusual to get in off the waitlist if you were ED, right?

My LSAT is well above their 75th percentile, but my GPA is well below their 25th. I figured it would be a long shot, but it's so far and away my first choice that I really was hoping I'd get it.

Enjoy Charlottesville, you guys who got in! You're going to a fantastic school.


I had to wait almost a week to find out I got in. I am also a splitter like you. Just because you didn't hear back in a day doesn't mean you didn't get in. I think it varies in terms of how long they take to give notifications.

User avatar
MillerTime
Posts: 269
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:55 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby MillerTime » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:15 pm

Hey all – I wasn’t quite ready to drop the hammer on UVA ED so I applied regular decision instead. I have 3.4/169 and solid work experience and LORs. My application has gone complete and is pending review/decision, according to the status tracker. Do I stand a shot? And does anyone know how long they usually take to get back to RDs?




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest