UVA Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Puttanesca

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby Puttanesca » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:29 pm

albanach wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:
Are furniture stores and beds easy to come by in C'Ville? or do the undergrads tend to buy places out early?

(and I think futon's are kinda ugly....so I was dreading getting one anyway...)

There's plenty of furniture stores, but they tend to be quite expensive. Circa has been mentioned, but I don't remember seeing much in the way of beds there. Frankly bed shopping is always horrible - they're expensive and mattress manufacturers actively go out their way to make sure comparison shopping is next to impossible.

Sam's Club would be an option for a cheap mattress. Ikea is two hours away, just outside DC.

FYI, Ikea offers a $129 flat fee rate on delivery to Charlottesville. Many of the items can be ordered online, so you don't even have to drive to the store if you already know what you want.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:32 pm

Puttanesca wrote:
albanach wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:
Are furniture stores and beds easy to come by in C'Ville? or do the undergrads tend to buy places out early?

There's plenty of furniture stores, but they tend to be quite expensive. Circa has been mentioned, but I don't remember seeing much in the way of beds there. Frankly bed shopping is always horrible - they're expensive and mattress manufacturers actively go out their way to make sure comparison shopping is next to impossible.

Sam's Club would be an option for a cheap mattress. Ikea is two hours away, just outside DC.

FYI, Ikea offers a $129 flat fee rate on delivery to Charlottesville. Many of the items can be ordered online, so you don't even have to drive to the store if you already know what you want.

But IKEA beds are the absolute fucking worst. What's wrong with 1-800-Mattress? That is the route I'm going. Free shipping + 20% off if you google for the code.

esq

Postby esq » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:38 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:For the ID's we go to the Observatory Hill Dinning Hall...I don't know where that is tough.Hope that helps!

for the bed...I am looking to spend around 300ish, so I hope I can find something there! I will look it over, Thanks!

Cool, I'll have to see if I can get one issued to me and then use it to figure out the Northline Bus route - looks like it will take me down to the aquatics center for a morning swim. Bummed that I probably won't be able to touch the gym before class starts though.

Over the weekend, Salvation Army had a half price sale. I saw a guy pick up a queen sized bed, solid wood frame, and nice Sealy mattress set for $60. I scored on some awesome stuff too. Hopefully they have what you are looking for, and if they have another sale like they did this past weekend, you're set.

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:37 pm

esq wrote:Cool, I'll have to see if I can get one issued to me and then use it to figure out the Northline Bus route - looks like it will take me down to the aquatics center for a morning swim. Bummed that I probably won't be able to touch the gym before class starts though.

You can likely ride the UTS buses without a card. I've never known anyone to be asked. Only needed for city buses.

The AFC sent an email today:

AFC Email wrote:~ The Aquatic & Fitness Center POOL will be CLOSED August 13-22 for maintenance, which involves completely draining the pool! We appreciate your patience while we complete these significant improvements.

~ The Aquatic & Fitness Center will be CLOSED August 13-17 for facility maintenance.

~ The Aquatic & Fitness Center GYMNASIUM and MULTI-PURPOSE ROOMS will be CLOSED August 13-19 for floor resurfacing.

~ Slaughter Recreation Center will be CLOSED through Sunday, August 14 for facility maintenance.

ThreeYears

Postby ThreeYears » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:41 pm

Did you sign up any email list? I did not get this email. :(

albanach wrote:
esq wrote:Cool, I'll have to see if I can get one issued to me and then use it to figure out the Northline Bus route - looks like it will take me down to the aquatics center for a morning swim. Bummed that I probably won't be able to touch the gym before class starts though.

You can likely ride the UTS buses without a card. I've never known anyone to be asked. Only needed for city buses.

The AFC sent an email today:

AFC Email wrote:~ The Aquatic & Fitness Center POOL will be CLOSED August 13-22 for maintenance, which involves completely draining the pool! We appreciate your patience while we complete these significant improvements.

~ The Aquatic & Fitness Center will be CLOSED August 13-17 for facility maintenance.

~ The Aquatic & Fitness Center GYMNASIUM and MULTI-PURPOSE ROOMS will be CLOSED August 13-19 for floor resurfacing.

~ Slaughter Recreation Center will be CLOSED through Sunday, August 14 for facility maintenance.

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:14 pm

ThreeYears wrote:Did you sign up any email list? I did not get this email. :(

I don't think they were snubbing you, I was a non-student member of the gym. I'd expect you'll get such messages once term starts automatically. I don't recall actually signing up for them.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:47 pm

I got my bed from sleephappens.com.

I don't remember the competitiveness of the prices but they delivered and I didn't have any problems.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:23 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:I have arrived :D . Anyone else??

+1

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:09 am

sundance95 wrote:

+1

Be there in about 2 hours. My roommate is planning a happy hour at the biltmore tonight at 9 through the fb group, I think I'm gonna go

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:30 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
sundance95 wrote:

+1

Be there in about 2 hours. My roommate is planning a happy hour at the biltmore tonight at 9 through the fb group, I think I'm gonna go

I'm going to be there, too. It sounds like we should have a decently sized group.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:33 am

Gecko of Doom wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
sundance95 wrote:

+1

I'm going to be there, too. It sounds like we should have a decently sized group.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:00 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:Y'all are probably already know this, but the Jefferson Theater is a great place to see a show. I'll probably be at the Hold Steady show on September 2nd.

http://www.jeffersontheater.com/events

Anyone thinking of these shows:

Hold Steady
Umphrey's McGee
My Morning Jacket

I may see MMJ here since they're playing with Neko Case who I would prefer to whoever they're playing with in C-Ville who I've never heard of.

bertstare

Postby bertstare » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:19 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:
Puttanesca wrote:
albanach wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:

But IKEA beds are the absolute fucking worst. What's wrong with 1-800-Mattress? That is the route I'm going. Free shipping + 20% off if you google for the code.

--ImageRemoved--

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:34 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:Be there in about 2 hours. My roommate is planning a happy hour at the biltmore tonight at 9 through the fb group, I think I'm gonna go

sawweeeeee. either of you PM me if you dare and we can be super secret facebook friends

Junni

Postby Junni » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:20 pm

Class of 2014 law-school spouse here. I was wondering if there are other law-school spouses/S.O.s about, especially those with young-ish kids (we have a five-year-old starting kindergarten). I'd be interested in forming a social support group with those individuals who are in a similar situation (I heard there's a family group through the law school?). Fwiw, we're not new to C'ville, so I'd would be glad to help those who are new find their way about.

memaha

Postby memaha » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:30 am

Junni wrote:Class of 2014 law-school spouse here. I was wondering if there are other law-school spouses/S.O.s about, especially those with young-ish kids (we have a five-year-old starting kindergarten). I'd be interested in forming a social support group with those individuals who are in a similar situation (I heard there's a family group through the law school?). Fwiw, we're not new to C'ville, so I'd would be glad to help those who are new find their way about.

The family group at the law school is Virginia Law Families, and from what I have heard, it is a great support system for S.O.s and their children. I have quoted the blurb about them from the UVA Law website, with the leadership contact info.

Virginia Law Families - Virginia Law Families supports and promotes the interests of students facing the challenges of attending law school while raising children. Among its primary objectives are promoting social interaction and the sharing of information, including among both current and prospective parents. Issues of specific concern include child care, medical resources and family activities or community events, with particular emphasis on low-cost options to help those on a tight budget. Virginia Law Families also supports the Law School admissions staff by encouraging individuals with families to apply for admission and attend the School of Law, and by serving as an information resource for potential attendees. Room SL156F

President: Todd Baker, toddmbaker@gmail.com
VP of Activities: Tyler Masse, tylermasse@hotmail.com
VP of Finance: Brian Wotring, spcbrian22@msn.com
VP of Operations: Dane Dodd, dane.dodd@gmail.com

omg

Postby omg » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:20 pm

On the topic of mattresses...

The LivingSocial deal for Richmond today is $50 for $200 (saving $150) to Mattress Warehouse or $200 for $500 (saving $300). Delivery to Charlottesville is $65. The bad part is that you have to use it in-store (although testing mattresses in person is always a good idea anyway), but there are a bunch of Mattress Warehouse locations on the west side of Richmond, which is only ~1 hour from campus. There's a huge mall at Short Pump, so UVA students come out here a fair amount anyway, so it might be worth the drive.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:13 pm

I should probably already know this, but do we find out what section we are in when we sign in at orientation? Or is it supposed to happen before then?

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:14 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:I should probably already know this, but do we find out what section we are in when we sign in at orientation? Or is it supposed to happen before then?

Should be on the Thursday or Friday before orientation.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:25 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:I should probably already know this, but do we find out what section we are in when we sign in at orientation? Or is it supposed to happen before then?

I actually just looked it up this morning:

"Section assignments will be posted at approximately 5 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 19, in the glass cases adjacent to the Student Records Office in Slaughter Hall."

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/studen ... etails.htm

I was less than thrilled. I want to know already.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:28 pm

They'll probably get posted online Friday morning (Friday before orientation).

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:30 pm

5ky wrote:They'll probably get posted online Friday morning (Friday before orientation).

Oh that's good. Saves me a trip of having to drive to school for the section assignments. Where are they posted online?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:38 pm

Puttanesca wrote:
5ky wrote:They'll probably get posted online Friday morning (Friday before orientation).

Oh that's good. Saves me a trip of having to drive to school for the section assignments. Where are they posted online?

The LawWeb main page, probably. That's where it was last year. They post every student's name and section, so you can see yours and anybody else's.

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:42 pm

5ky wrote:The LawWeb main page, probably. That's where it was last year. They post every student's name and section, so you can see yours and anybody else's.

Cool, thanks for the info.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:16 pm

Were any of you in attendance at the party in Jeffersonian that got the power turned off on it?

Bravo, Class of 2014. You'll fit in nicely.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”