UVA Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
albanach

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby albanach » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:00 pm

Cavalier wrote: Also if every section of a 1L class is using the same casebook (which happened with criminal law in my year), you can order the casebook used now without worry.

Would there be a way to know that prior to the Friday before classes start when sections are assigned?

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:07 pm

albanach wrote:
Cavalier wrote: Also if every section of a 1L class is using the same casebook (which happened with criminal law in my year), you can order the casebook used now without worry.

Would there be a way to know that prior to the Friday before classes start when sections are assigned?

Actually, yes. Judging from page 64 of this giant list of books (LinkRemoved) for every class offered at UVA in Fall 2011, it seems that criminal law is again the only class for which the same casebook is used (unsurprising given that the authors are four UVA Law professors). I'm 90% certain it is this book, but it could be the wrong edition, so I wouldn't order it yet. Maybe someone else can confirm?

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:23 pm

Ditto on the moving down early. It's certainly worth it to get there early, get set up and meet people. I met most of the people who ended up being my good friends before classes kicked off. You can cruise the downtown mall for gelato, snag a slop bucket at Belmont BBQ, Beer Run run, check out some vineyards, visit Monticello and get a few drinking on the corner practice runs in. As a final note, I would recommend calling the power company BEFORE you are hurling down I-81. Spending 3 days in C-Ville with no power and therefore no AC is not a good way to kick off the school year.

As far as books you're going to have to wait for some of them but I think there are some safe bets. This won't be an exhaustive list or even totally correct, but these books helped me out a lot. Here's my recs:

The one case book I'm PRETTY SURE you can buy is the criminal law book. Every class used it last year because the writers are all UVA professors. Also, it only came out last year so I doubt it's been replaced. In my experience it was a good book, so I can't imagine them ditching it.
http://www.amazon.com/Criminal-Law-3d-U ... 021&sr=8-1

Supplements I think you will (should) buy eventually and may want to get now:

Glannon, buy it. You'll never regeret this supplement, it's pretty much the gold standard civ pro supplement.

http://www.amazon.com/Examples-Explanat ... 134&sr=1-1

This is the tort supplement I had and it's good. Tracked my casebook fairly well:

http://www.amazon.com/Forms-Functions-T ... 245&sr=1-1

Contract supplement in the house. This is the one I used:

http://www.amazon.com/Concepts-Case-Ana ... 333&sr=1-1

This is the crim law supplement a lot of people used. It is done by one of the casebook authors and tracks the casebook pretty well. That said, I didn't really like it. I also bought a big green hornbook I barely used. I recommend this one with the least enthusiasm:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Letter-Outl ... 374&sr=1-1

The supplements are all optional obviously, but based on the UVA OGI thread TLS has a disproportionate amount of super gunners who are going to buy 3 supplements per class. Hopefully those are all the most recent editions. You can find further books by searching TLS, but those are the books my searches landed on.

Edit: the crim law book just came out last spring so it's doubtful it's been updated between now and this upcoming semester.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:49 pm

I'd take the supplement suggestions with a grain of salt. Lots of people swear by different things, and my own list would probably differ (not that I think joe's list is bad).

Also, if you're looking around for cheap furniture, I'll throw this out there as a cheap desk suggestion with plenty of space:

http://www.staples.com/Z-Line-Gemini-Co ... t_SS998674

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:24 pm

Thanks for the crim law book suggestion---

quick question in terms of beds a furniture, since I will be living in a smallish room I wanted to opt for a futon/sofa bed/ or day bed---do you guys know any good places to find these reasonably priced?

I was going to go with wal-mart site to store shipping but I'm unsure if thats a good idea?

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:33 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:Thanks for the crim law book suggestion---

quick question in terms of beds a furniture, since I will be living in a smallish room I wanted to opt for a futon/sofa bed/ or day bed---do you guys know any good places to find these reasonably priced?

I was going to go with wal-mart site to store shipping but I'm unsure if thats a good idea?

Well, if it were me, I'd suggest a proper bed. Sleep is important, and a Walmart futon isn't likely to have a good mattress that's conducive to three years of good sleep.

There's a futon place in town, on Main St. http://www.constatic.com/atlantic/ Probably more than you'd like to pay though.

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:51 pm

albanach wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:Thanks for the crim law book suggestion---

Well, if it were me, I'd suggest a proper bed. Sleep is important, and a Walmart futon isn't likely to have a good mattress that's conducive to three years of good sleep.

There's a futon place in town, on Main St. http://www.constatic.com/atlantic/ Probably more than you'd like to pay though.

Are furniture stores and beds easy to come by in C'Ville? or do the undergrads tend to buy places out early?

(and I think futon's are kinda ugly....so I was dreading getting one anyway...)

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:55 pm

In re books and supplements: I'd hold off on purchasing supplements until you have a feel for the class. I bought way more than was necessary or even helpful really. (Which reminds me, I will have a ton of supplements for sale once I get them out of storage.) If you can figure out what books you need, getting those early is clutch though. I purchased my crim book last July for $50 on Amazon. If you haven't signed up for Amazon Prime, you should. It's the tits.

In re furniture: I've bought and sold in C'ville on Craigslist with good results. Buying a bed there would sketch me out though. You could also try Circa (used-random crap/antique store downtown-ish) and just buy the mattress new.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:59 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:In re books and supplements:

:?

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:06 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

That bothers you more than "it's the tits?"

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:10 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

That bothers you more than "it's the tits?"

Honestly I didn't even get that far. I read the "in re" part, rolled my eyes, and stopped there.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:13 pm

I personally find the "In re" part more bothersome, and after a year of law school, you will too.

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:24 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:
Are furniture stores and beds easy to come by in C'Ville? or do the undergrads tend to buy places out early?

There's plenty of furniture stores, but they tend to be quite expensive. Circa has been mentioned, but I don't remember seeing much in the way of beds there. Frankly bed shopping is always horrible - they're expensive and mattress manufacturers actively go out their way to make sure comparison shopping is next to impossible.

Sam's Club would be an option for a cheap mattress. Ikea is two hours away, just outside DC.

esq

Postby esq » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:45 pm

albanach wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:

There's plenty of furniture stores, but they tend to be quite expensive. Circa has been mentioned, but I don't remember seeing much in the way of beds there. Frankly bed shopping is always horrible - they're expensive and mattress manufacturers actively go out their way to make sure comparison shopping is next to impossible.

Sam's Club would be an option for a cheap mattress. Ikea is two hours away, just outside DC.

If you're really trying to save some money, try the Salvation Army off of Cherry St. They seem to have some really good used stuff for cheap.

Also, does anyone know when we are supposed to get our student ID's? When we can start using the gym facilities? It'd be really nice if the answer was now (I need something to do for the next few weeks or I'll go crazy.)

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:05 pm

esq wrote:
albanach wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:

If you're really trying to save some money, try the Salvation Army off of Cherry St. They seem to have some really good used stuff for cheap.

Also, does anyone know when we are supposed to get our student ID's? When we can start using the gym facilities? It'd be really nice if the answer was now (I need something to do for the next few weeks or I'll go crazy.)

I don't think we got to use the gyms last year until after classes started.

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:07 pm

For the ID's we go to the Observatory Hill Dinning Hall...I don't know where that is tough.Hope that helps!

for the bed...I am looking to spend around 300ish, so I hope I can find something there! I will look it over, Thanks!
esq wrote:
albanach wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:26 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:For the ID's we go to the Observatory Hill Dinning Hall...I don't know where that is tough.Hope that helps!

for the bed...I am looking to spend around 300ish, so I hope I can find something there! I will look it over, Thanks!
esq wrote:
albanach wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:

I got my ID today. It is the first building on the left when you turn into McCormick Road. I was in and out within 10 minutes.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:31 pm

esq wrote:When we can start using the gym facilities? It'd be really nice if the answer was now (I need something to do for the next few weeks or I'll go crazy.)

The 2Ls get to start using them on the 7th. Maybe you folks will be able to as well.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:32 pm

dailygrind wrote:
esq wrote:When we can start using the gym facilities? It'd be really nice if the answer was now (I need something to do for the next few weeks or I'll go crazy.)

The 2Ls get to start using them on the 7th. Maybe you folks will be able to as well.

By the way, where is the gym?

(Apologies if location was discussed earlier)

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:36 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
dailygrind wrote:

By the way, where is the gym?

If you're standing at the front entrance of the law school and facing inside, it's a 5 minute walk to the left (ie follow Massie Road past Darden).

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:38 pm

esq wrote:Also, does anyone know when we are supposed to get our student ID's? When we can start using the gym facilities? It'd be really nice if the answer was now (I need something to do for the next few weeks or I'll go crazy.)

We're eligible to use the student health center starting August 15, so I'm guessing it would be the same for the gym. Since I've been in town for a month already, I went ahead and paid the summer fee (around $50) so I could start using the gym right away.

LLB2JD wrote:By the way, where is the gym?

North Grounds gym is right next to the business school (two buildings away from the law school). The main gym is on Whitehead Rd. (coming from Ivy, take Alderman/Copeley south).

Edit: quote format.

battle_tested

Postby battle_tested » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:45 pm

I think this was already covered but I can't find it buried here. Prior to the ifrst day of classes, how do we know what our reading assignment will be for our first classes? Do we find that out when the book lists are posted? Also, where is everything posted?

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:47 pm

battle_tested wrote:I think this was already covered but I can't find it buried here. Prior to the ifrst day of classes, how do we know what our reading assignment will be for our first classes? Do we find that out when the book lists are posted? Also, where is everything posted?

After you get your sections, it'll either be posted on a board on the first floor of Slaughter Hall, emailed to you by your professor, or otherwise given to you during orientation.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:51 pm

Cavalier is correct. Booklists for each section can be found posted in the library ("Bookstore"). The workers there will help you if you tell them what section you are in. The "X" on the map is where things get posted, next to the Student Records Office. Some professors will post initial assignments there, some will email them to you, and some will post them on their syllabus which is either emailed to you or available on Lawweb.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:19 pm

I have arrived :D . Anyone else??

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”