UVA Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
inmans

New

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Post by inmans » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:31 pm

On a lighter note, Charlottesville will have a ton of great musical acts rolling through this fall.

Small consolation for worsening employment prospects, but ya gotta take what you can get, right...?!

jazzyjeff

New

Post by jazzyjeff » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:44 pm

So in light of worsening employment prospects even at UVA, do people think attending at sticker is a bad idea? Also, how is the support for public interest folks?

WVUCelticFan

Bronze

Post by WVUCelticFan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:54 pm

inmans wrote:On a lighter note, Charlottesville will have a ton of great musical acts rolling through this fall.

Small consolation for worsening employment prospects, but ya gotta take what you can get, right...?!
Dave and Tim are playing the Charlottesville Pavilion on 20 August, all proceeds going to charity I believe. Tickets aren't on sale yet though.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:18 pm

I feel less woeful now. Just back from ribs and Satan's Pony @ South Street :D

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:09 am

Y'all are probably already know this, but the Jefferson Theater is a great place to see a show. I'll probably be at the Hold Steady show on September 2nd.

http://www.jeffersontheater.com/events

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:45 pm

jazzyjeff wrote:So in light of worsening employment prospects even at UVA, do people think attending at sticker is a bad idea? Also, how is the support for public interest folks?
I thought attending at sticker was a bad idea like starting 2 years ago

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:06 pm

jazzyjeff wrote:So in light of worsening employment prospects even at UVA, do people think attending at sticker is a bad idea? Also, how is the support for public interest folks?
Don't alt. Hint: Any post that begins with "So in light of [gasoline pouring on fire]" will make me run an alt-check on you.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:11 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
50% of the class each year disagree.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:21 pm

albanach wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
50% of the class each year disagree.

as opposed to 80% of grads 2006 and earlier

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:44 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
as opposed to 80% of grads 2006 and earlier
Tuition in 2006 was $15k less than it is today. That's about $11.5k less when inflation adjusted.

Hardly surprising that more students were willing to pay sticker. I'd guess that if you took the value of the bottom 30% of scholarships into account, 80% of students this year will be paying something either close to or above the inflation adjusted sticker price from 2006.

turkeysub

New

Post by turkeysub » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:43 am

For those of you who got your lockers, how did you find your lawweb id and password?

ThreeYears

Bronze

Post by ThreeYears » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:24 pm

turkeysub wrote:For those of you who got your lockers, how did you find your lawweb id and password?
It should be emailed to you a while back. The id is the UVa webmail username without "@virginia.edu". You can email and ask the IT support to reset the password for you.

turkeysub

New

Post by turkeysub » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:34 pm

ThreeYears wrote:
turkeysub wrote:For those of you who got your lockers, how did you find your lawweb id and password?
It should be emailed to you a while back. The id is the UVa webmail username without "@virginia.edu". You can email and ask the IT support to reset the password for you.

Ah, thanks, I found it, turned out it was sent to my UVA email before i linked it with my gmail.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:38 pm

So has aanyone read about this? http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/01/news/ec ... qus_thread

Appears they're getting rid of grad subsidized loans as of July 1, 2012

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:44 pm

Woohoo, I'm safe!

(sorry everyone)

bluecrab5448

New

Post by bluecrab5448 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:49 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Woohoo, I'm safe!

(sorry everyone)
Well this blows. I'm a little confused about the deadline of July 1, 2012. If the financial aid application for 2012-2013 is May 1st (as it was this year), does that mean direct subsidized loans will still be available for next year or they'll be cut off after this year?

itsirtou

Bronze

Post by itsirtou » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:09 pm

pjo wrote:So has aanyone read about this? http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/01/news/ec ... qus_thread

so

for those of us who aren't safe and graduate in 2013...what is this going to mean, practically?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:20 pm

itsirtou wrote:
pjo wrote:So has aanyone read about this? http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/01/news/ec ... qus_thread

so

for those of us who aren't safe and graduate in 2013...what is this going to mean, practically?
One year of interest on $8,500... right?

bluecrab5448

New

Post by bluecrab5448 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:29 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:
itsirtou wrote:

so

:? I really hope Financial Services releases a statement soon.

itsirtou

Bronze

Post by itsirtou » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:33 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:
itsirtou wrote:

so

well

balls

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:40 pm

Just a question I've had. To use those UVa buses that are driving around, do you need to purchase a pass of some sort, or is it free transportation for students at the school? If so, where do I find a bus schedule? I can see it being nice on cold winter days where I want to get out of the law school and go do some laps at the aquatics center.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:45 pm

esq wrote:Just a question I've had. To use those UVa buses that are driving around, do you need to purchase a pass of some sort, or is it free transportation for students at the school? If so, where do I find a bus schedule? I can see it being nice on cold winter days where I want to get out of the law school and go do some laps at the aquatics center.
Both the UVA busline and the Charlottesville city bus are free to UVA students. You definitely have to show your ID for the latter, but for the UVA bus, I've ridden it >50 times and never been once asked to show my ID.

Here's a list of the different bus routes (the Northline connector is the line that stops right in front of the law school): http://www.virginia.edu/parking/uts/routes/index.html

upalittletoolate

New

Post by upalittletoolate » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:38 pm

Hey guys!! Getting excited about the start in 3 weeks- just checking in to see if there's anything else I should be doing right now? (Aside from Netflix and sleeping to noon, of course :D ) I completed my health forms, paid my first month's rent, seat deposits, got my locker, first semester tuition $$$ is lined up.. but should I be buying any books/supplements/etc. so they'll be here for class? I thought we wouldn't know our schedule till the Friday before orientation- does everyone just have a big buying binge that weekend? Buying online is obviously a cheap route, but how would you be prepared for the first day of classes if you tried to buy online then?

Sorry if these questions are too naive or overdone- guess I'm just getting a little anxious!

Thanks! :)

wackjickham

Bronze

Post by wackjickham » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:48 pm

upalittletoolate wrote:Hey guys!! Getting excited about the start in 3 weeks- just checking in to see if there's anything else I should be doing right now? (Aside from Netflix and sleeping to noon, of course :D ) I completed my health forms, paid my first month's rent, seat deposits, got my locker, first semester tuition $$$ is lined up.. but should I be buying any books/supplements/etc. so they'll be here for class? I thought we wouldn't know our schedule till the Friday before orientation- does everyone just have a big buying binge that weekend? Buying online is obviously a cheap route, but how would you be prepared for the first day of classes if you tried to buy online then?

Sorry if these questions are too naive or overdone- guess I'm just getting a little anxious!

You wont be able to get your books online in time, unfortunately. You'll have to bite the bullet and buy them from the bookstore once you get your section assignment (get there early if you want them used).

The only other thing you should do is move to Charlottesville before school starts. If 2014 is anything like 2013, people on TLS and the Facebook group should be organizing a bunch of informal bar nights/pickup sports/meetups throughout August, obviously picking up more the closer you get to school starting as more people move in. I moved here in early August last year, and am so glad I did. Not only will you get all your annoying moving-in errands out of the way, you'll get to know C-Ville and some of your classmates before anyone else does. Can't emphasize enough how helpful that is.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:50 pm

upalittletoolate wrote:Hey guys!! Getting excited about the start in 3 weeks- just checking in to see if there's anything else I should be doing right now? (Aside from Netflix and sleeping to noon, of course :D ) I completed my health forms, paid my first month's rent, seat deposits, got my locker, first semester tuition $$$ is lined up.. but should I be buying any books/supplements/etc. so they'll be here for class? I thought we wouldn't know our schedule till the Friday before orientation- does everyone just have a big buying binge that weekend? Buying online is obviously a cheap route, but how would you be prepared for the first day of classes if you tried to buy online then?

Sounds like you're good to go. I'd recommend getting your apartment in Charlottesville set up well before classes begin; the first semester of law school can be hectic, so you don't want to start off still shopping for furniture and such. As far as books go, you won't find out your class schedule until it's too late to order used books (if you want them to arrive on time). You're not without options though. If you have Amazon Prime you can order new books in time for classes (which are often $20 or $30 cheaper than at the bookstore), and if you're OK with doing zero writing or highlighting in your casebooks for the first week or so, you can buy them at the bookstore and order them used online, and then return your completely unmarked casebooks to the bookstore for a full refund when the used books arrive. Also if every section of a 1L class is using the same casebook (which happened with criminal law in my year), you can order the casebook used now without worry.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”