UVA Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
itsirtou
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby itsirtou » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:22 pm

incardination wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster.

Quick question for the rising 2Ls and 3Ls. I ordered one of the MacBook Pros from CAV. Will I be able to use the ExamSoft software within Mac or do I need to look into running Windows through Boot Camp, Parallels, etc.?

Many thanks in advance.


UVa doesn't use Examsoft.

crossingforHYS
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby crossingforHYS » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:23 pm

even if UVa did use examsoft....

examsoft is native as of this year on Mac's.

(but they don't use it--Honors system)

edit: itsirtou beat me to it...

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby flexityflex86 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:33 pm

does anyone have any knowledge of state residency laws in virginia?

User avatar
joemoviebuff
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:51 am

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby joemoviebuff » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:40 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:does anyone have any knowledge of state residency laws in virginia?


IIRC, you have to live there for at least a year for a reason other than school, or prove somehow that you intend to practice in the state afterwards.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby albanach » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:44 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:does anyone have any knowledge of state residency laws in virginia?


Here you go:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504 ... cod+23-7.4

incardination
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:09 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby incardination » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:40 pm

itsirtou wrote:
incardination wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster.

Quick question for the rising 2Ls and 3Ls. I ordered one of the MacBook Pros from CAV. Will I be able to use the ExamSoft software within Mac or do I need to look into running Windows through Boot Camp, Parallels, etc.?

Many thanks in advance.


UVa doesn't use Examsoft.


Thanks.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6367
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby 5ky » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:40 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:does anyone have any knowledge of state residency laws in virginia?


It's hard. The easiest way would probably be to get engaged to a Virginia resident, I think that works pretty well.

But don't expect to become a resident, it's unlikely to happen.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19653
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby dailygrind » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:15 pm

5ky wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:does anyone have any knowledge of state residency laws in virginia?


It's hard. The easiest way would probably be to get engaged to a Virginia resident, I think that works pretty well.

But don't expect to become a resident, it's unlikely to happen.


This. I think it's doable if you're here a year in advance; I recall hearing a story about a guy who got deferred, but had already put down a deposit on his apartment and managed to qualify for instate tuition that way. But the rest of us shlubs are very unlikely to be tasting that sweet 15k discount.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby sundance95 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:10 am

You get residency by domiciling in Virginia for one year prior to the start of classes.

User avatar
WVUCelticFan
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby WVUCelticFan » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:26 am

Has anybody ITT used Zip Car before, either at UVA or elsewhere? I'm curious to hear people's reviews.

Puttanesca
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby Puttanesca » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:02 pm

WVUCelticFan wrote:Has anybody ITT used Zip Car before, either at UVA or elsewhere? I'm curious to hear people's reviews.


I haven't used Zipcar before, but I know people who have used it at my undergrad institution in Los Angeles. Most people who have used it say that it's pretty convenient since the cars were located right on campus. It's great for short trips - e.g. going grocery shopping, running other errands, but if you need the car for the whole day or want to drive out of the city, it's not the best option because they charge by the hour and have a mileage limit. If you're under 25 though and need to rent a car, Zipcar would be best because most car rental companies impose a daily surcharge for drivers under 25.

Edit: They also have a daily rate, but it is much more expensive (more than $60) than regular car rental companies ($25 + taxes and fees).

incardination
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:09 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby incardination » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:00 pm

Puttanesca wrote:
WVUCelticFan wrote:Has anybody ITT used Zip Car before, either at UVA or elsewhere? I'm curious to hear people's reviews.


I haven't used Zipcar before, but I know people who have used it at my undergrad institution in Los Angeles. Most people who have used it say that it's pretty convenient since the cars were located right on campus. It's great for short trips - e.g. going grocery shopping, running other errands, but if you need the car for the whole day or want to drive out of the city, it's not the best option because they charge by the hour and have a mileage limit. If you're under 25 though and need to rent a car, Zipcar would be best because most car rental companies impose a daily surcharge for drivers under 25.

Edit: They also have a daily rate, but it is much more expensive (more than $60) than regular car rental companies ($25 + taxes and fees).


I've been using Zipcar for about a year in the Boston area. It is really convenient, as they have parking lots all over the place (or, at least they do up here) and you can make your reservation online and then show up at the lot to activate the car with your zipcard. They also include the price of gas in their fees (and a card that you use to fill it up at a gas station), but the mileage per day is limited, whereas it typically isn't with other rentals. They seem to be offering UVa students a deal for only $35/year right now.

User avatar
jcd178
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:24 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby jcd178 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:26 pm

All the talk about Beer Run ITT really makes me want to go. Anyone interested in grabbing some suds with a complete stranger from the interent cool future classmate who is new to town?

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby albanach » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:56 pm

jcd178 wrote:All the talk about Beer Run ITT really makes me want to go. Anyone interested in grabbing some suds with a complete stranger from the interent cool future classmate who is new to town?


When would you be thinking of?

User avatar
WVUCelticFan
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby WVUCelticFan » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:42 pm

jcd178 wrote:All the talk about Beer Run ITT really makes me want to go. Anyone interested in grabbing some suds with a complete stranger from the interent cool future classmate who is new to town?


I'm in, after I get in town of course. So, after 12 August.

User avatar
Gecko of Doom
Posts: 415
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby Gecko of Doom » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:49 pm

I'd be interested as well. I'm in town now, so I'm cool with whatever.

User avatar
jcd178
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:24 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby jcd178 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:19 pm

albanach wrote:
jcd178 wrote:All the talk about Beer Run ITT really makes me want to go. Anyone interested in grabbing some suds with a complete stranger from the interent cool future classmate who is new to town?


When would you be thinking of?
Gecko of Doom wrote:I'd be interested as well. I'm in town now, so I'm cool with whatever.


I'm free any night this week. Evidently, Tuesday is "Pint Night," which sounds promising. Is tomorrow too short of a notice?

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby albanach » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:17 am

jcd178 wrote:I'm free any night this week. Evidently, Tuesday is "Pint Night," which sounds promising. Is tomorrow too short of a notice?


I'm afraid I have stuff on tonight and Thursday. If another night works, that's great. And if not, I'm sure we can manage another couple of nights out before term starts.

User avatar
Gecko of Doom
Posts: 415
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby Gecko of Doom » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:17 pm

Yeah, tonight doesn't work for me, either. I might be able to do next Tuesday.

User avatar
jcd178
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:24 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby jcd178 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:45 pm

Next Tuesday sounds fine to me-- I'm free pretty much every night as I'm basically just lounging around waiting for classes to start.

User avatar
wackjickham
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby wackjickham » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:37 pm

jcd178 wrote:
albanach wrote:
jcd178 wrote:All the talk about Beer Run ITT really makes me want to go. Anyone interested in grabbing some suds with a complete stranger from the interent cool future classmate who is new to town?


When would you be thinking of?
Gecko of Doom wrote:I'd be interested as well. I'm in town now, so I'm cool with whatever.


I'm free any night this week. Evidently, Tuesday is "Pint Night," which sounds promising. Is tomorrow too short of a notice?


Free tastings on Wednesday, IIRC

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1914
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:25 am

This is a bit off topic, but would anyone be interested in making a few bucks helping me unload my stuff on Thursday morning? I had surgery recently so I'm not supposed to lift some of our heavier things like the couch/dresser/tv/tv stand. I live on Arlington. Craig's list brings too many worries that whoever I hire will wind up casing my place. If no one here bites I'll probably wind up going with professional movers. It will probably take around 2 hours, so I'm thinking 60 bucks a piece for two people. Shoot me a pm if you have any interest.

ETA: Looks like it will actually be around 4 pm today instead of tomorrow morning.
Last edited by Stringer Bell on Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jazzyjeff
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:24 am

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby jazzyjeff » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:29 am

Just got in off the waitlist with this new deferred acceptance thing they're doing. I am planning on attending a peer school with $50,000. With a 3.5/172, anyone have any ideas if I might get money when they award it next March? I prefer UVA but am hesitant to gamble. And sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place. This is my first time on here (recommended as a good resource by a friend).

User avatar
joemoviebuff
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:51 am

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby joemoviebuff » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:33 am

jazzyjeff wrote:Just got in off the waitlist with this new deferred acceptance thing they're doing. I am planning on attending a peer school with $50,000. With a 3.5/172, anyone have any ideas if I might get money when they award it next March? I prefer UVA but am hesitant to gamble. And sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place. This is my first time on here (recommended as a good resource by a friend).


My guess would be no. If I were you I'd take the 50 grand at Duke or whatever.

Xaintes
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:27 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby Xaintes » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:42 am

I was accepted into the classs of 2014, but I'm deferring a year so I won't be moving down to Charlottesville until summer 2012. I know there are some 3Ls that post in this thread so...

Any leads on 3Ls currently renting houses/townhouses near the law school whose contact info you could pass on to me? I'm hoping to get a head start with housing since I have a whole year to wait (sad face). I know a lot of the best places on passed on by word of mouth and never get posted, so I'm hoping someone here could help out :)

Thank you! And see all of you class of 2014 people next year!




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest