UVA Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
swinger
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby swinger » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:56 pm

Law Sauce wrote:pickup bball ftw

also, what are you doing this summer swinger, you seem to be hanging out on tls quite a bit lately? did you stay in charlottesville for the summer?


No, I am working first half for a firm, second half back in Cville with my professor. I've been getting to the office early and staying late to do most of my memos/research so that I can take little breaks during the day to post on TLS. I monitor a few threads in between searches/cases. It seems that around my office as long as the work gets done by the deadline they dont care when I do it (morning/late vs. during the normal work day).

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1922
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:02 pm

swinger wrote:There are almost always pick up games going on at North Grounds gym. Most of them involve law students. We also send multiple teams to UVA-wide intramurals for several sports.

Regarding Rugby, not only does Cville have a team, but UVA specificly does. I dont know if there are many law students, but I know the Rugby team comes to our 'organization fair' so you can sign up there.


How do UVA law squads fare in IM hoops?

User avatar
swinger
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby swinger » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:10 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
swinger wrote:There are almost always pick up games going on at North Grounds gym. Most of them involve law students. We also send multiple teams to UVA-wide intramurals for several sports.

Regarding Rugby, not only does Cville have a team, but UVA specificly does. I dont know if there are many law students, but I know the Rugby team comes to our 'organization fair' so you can sign up there.


How do UVA law squads fare in IM hoops?


Much better than one would think.

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby Law Sauce » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:11 pm

swinger wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:pickup bball ftw

also, what are you doing this summer swinger, you seem to be hanging out on tls quite a bit lately? did you stay in charlottesville for the summer?


No, I am working first half for a firm, second half back in Cville with my professor. I've been getting to the office early and staying late to do most of my memos/research so that I can take little breaks during the day to post on TLS. I monitor a few threads in between searches/cases. It seems that around my office as long as the work gets done by the deadline they dont care when I do it (morning/late vs. during the normal work day).


Sweet man sounds cool

Heat
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby Heat » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:25 pm

I was just lookin' into registering my car down here and all that horrible stuff. The UVA law website (http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/inside ... obiles.htm) has a lot of great information which basically tells me I don't have to register my car or anything. That being said this part at the bottom seems to indicate that whether I register the car here or not I'm looking at a 4% tax on the value of the car:

Tax (Virginia Personal Property Tax)

All persons residing in Virginia who own automobiles are subject to a personal property tax based on the average loan value ("blue book" value) of their automobile. This is filed when city or county tags are purchased. The first half of the tax is due June 5 and the second half is due December 5.

If you are a resident of another part of Virginia, read carefully: By a strange quirk in the law, students who have residency in another part of Virginia (not in Charlottesville or Albemarle County) and are not locally employed, but own their own automobiles must pay the personal property tax in their home county or city—that is, their place of residency.

On the other hand, if your car is owned by your parents, or by you and your parents, you must pay the local (Charlottesville or Albemarle County) property tax (even if you are a resident of another part of Virginia). You can give a copy of your personal property tax receipt to the local authorities in your home county or city to prove you have already paid the tax.


Anyone have any insight into this? Also, I need to renew my drivers license soon and I could do it with NY (my home state obviously) but any idea if I can do it here without actually registering a car and all that? It's about 40 bucks cheaper here haha.

User avatar
WVUCelticFan
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby WVUCelticFan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:02 am

I know this was asked a while ago, but is anybody else staying in the Grad Centre? A few of us Pm'd before, but I haven't had any luck getting Woodard to tell me who else is in my unit.

User avatar
jdavid901
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:06 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby jdavid901 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:37 am

WVUCelticFan wrote:I know this was asked a while ago, but is anybody else staying in the Grad Centre? A few of us Pm'd before, but I haven't had any luck getting Woodard to tell me who else is in my unit.


I'm at the grad centre. Send me a message with your apt. number and I might be able to tell you who you're staying with. We just had a guy move out in my unit, so you might be with me!

crossingforHYS
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby crossingforHYS » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:17 pm

jdavid901 wrote:
WVUCelticFan wrote:I know this was asked a while ago, but is anybody else staying in the Grad Centre? A few of us Pm'd before, but I haven't had any luck getting Woodard to tell me who else is in my unit.


I'm at the grad centre. Send me a message with your apt. number and I might be able to tell you who you're staying with. We just had a guy move out in my unit, so you might be with me!

Pm's both of you-- I am staying there as well.

User avatar
WVUCelticFan
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby WVUCelticFan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:55 pm

One of the leasing agents sent me a very helpful reply this afternoon. Just wanted to announce that since i mentioned getting nothing from them earlier.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby albanach » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:03 pm

Heat wrote:I was just lookin' into registering my car down here and all that horrible stuff. The UVA law website (http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/inside ... obiles.htm) has a lot of great information which basically tells me I don't have to register my car or anything. That being said this part at the bottom seems to indicate that whether I register the car here or not I'm looking at a 4% tax on the value of the car:


Your car will probably be eligible for tax relief on at least part of the bill:

City of Charlottesville
http://www.charlottesville.org/index.aspx?page=456

Albemarle County
http://www.albemarle.org/department.asp ... lpage=3281

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby LLB2JD » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:18 pm

esq wrote:Is it possible to access Symplicity and see what kind of jobs our school is reeling in before we start this fall? As of now, it won't allow me access.


Anyone has a response to this? I'm curious as well.

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby jawsthegreat » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:41 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
esq wrote:Is it possible to access Symplicity and see what kind of jobs our school is reeling in before we start this fall? As of now, it won't allow me access.


Anyone has a response to this? I'm curious as well.


Pretty sure we didn't get acess to symplicity until December. At least I don't remember going on it before then.

User avatar
swinger
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby swinger » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:48 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:
esq wrote:Is it possible to access Symplicity and see what kind of jobs our school is reeling in before we start this fall? As of now, it won't allow me access.


Anyone has a response to this? I'm curious as well.


Pretty sure we didn't get acess to symplicity until December. At least I don't remember going on it before then.


Oct. 26 is when we got the email "welcoming" us to Symplicity. You dont remember going on before then because a) you couldnt b) this is one of the worst things ive ever heard- why would you seriously want to check this out. I'm sure we were all super neurotic the summer before 1L too, tho.

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby jawsthegreat » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:08 pm

swinger wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:
esq wrote:Is it possible to access Symplicity and see what kind of jobs our school is reeling in before we start this fall? As of now, it won't allow me access.


Anyone has a response to this? I'm curious as well.


Pretty sure we didn't get acess to symplicity until December. At least I don't remember going on it before then.


Oct. 26 is when we got the email "welcoming" us to Symplicity. You dont remember going on before then because a) you couldnt b) this is one of the worst things ive ever heard- why would you seriously want to check this out. I'm sure we were all super neurotic the summer before 1L too, tho.


The summer before 1L i got super drunk and didn't think about school, turned out alright for me.

User avatar
swinger
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby swinger » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:19 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
swinger wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:Anyone has a response to this? I'm curious as well.


Pretty sure we didn't get acess to symplicity until December. At least I don't remember going on it before then.


Oct. 26 is when we got the email "welcoming" us to Symplicity. You dont remember going on before then because a) you couldnt b) this is one of the worst things ive ever heard- why would you seriously want to check this out. I'm sure we were all super neurotic the summer before 1L too, tho.


The summer before 1L i got super drunk and didn't think about school, turned out alright for me.


Just imagine how well you would have done if you had been on Symplicity in June...

User avatar
swinger
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby swinger » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:48 pm

Now, lets discuss something serious that will actually affect your 1L year substantially: who wants to buy my hornbooks?

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby LLB2JD » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:52 pm

swinger wrote:Now, lets discuss something serious that will actually affect your 1L year substantially: who wants to buy my hornbooks?




How marked up are they? Or I should say, how new are they?

User avatar
swinger
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby swinger » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:56 am

LLB2JD wrote:
swinger wrote:Now, lets discuss something serious that will actually affect your 1L year substantially: who wants to buy my hornbooks?




How marked up are they? Or I should say, how new are they?


the ones i bought new are barely touched, almost pristine condition. the ones i bought from my PA have her highlighting so some are pretty marked up, others are considerably less so. i think i found a buyer for some of them, but obviously the ones you buy depend on the classes/profs you have, so PM me when you get your schedule and ill let you know what ive got.

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby gladiator » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:25 pm

A Cville food primer for future (and uninformed current?) Hoos...

Favorite Burgers: West Main (Monday is $5 night)
Honorable Mention: Buffalo Wild Wings (because they're $3 on Weds), Five Guys, Boylan Heights

Favorite Pizza: Mellow Mushroom (order the jerk chicken pizza off-menu, trivia on Weds night)
Honorable Mention: Anna's Pizza, Christian's (late night), Slice, Crozet Pizza, Fry Spring Station

Favorite Chinese Food: Peter Chang's
Honorable Mention: Taste of China

Favorite Mexican Food: Mono Loco
Honorable Mention: El Puerto

Favorite Ice Cream: Sweet Frog
Honorable Mention: Arch's

Favorite Late Night: Marco and Luca's
Honorable Mention: Christian's

Favorite Brunch: West Main

Favorite Upscale Restaurant: Mas
Honorable Mention: Maya

Favorite Bar: Biltmore
Honorable Mention: Michael's, C&O, Boylan Heights

Favorite Sandwiches: Bellair Market
Honorable Mention: Take It Away

Other Restaurants You Should Visit: Continental Divide, Positively 4th Street, Duner's, Michael's, The Local
Other Specials You Should Know About: Three has $5 Tuesdays, Biltmore has $5 Wednesdays, Backyard has 25 cent beers on Fridays (goes up 25 cents every 20 min starting at 5)

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby jawsthegreat » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:29 pm

I'd imagine that most people's favorite bar is Biltmore.

I'd also venture to guess that the bar that produces the most and longest lasting memories is Three.

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby gladiator » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:12 am

jawsthegreat wrote:I'd imagine that most people's favorite bar is Biltmore.

I'd also venture to guess that the bar that produces the most and longest lasting memories is Three for the witnesses not the participants.

Heat
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby Heat » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:14 am

gladiator wrote:A Cville food primer for future (and uninformed current?) Hoos...

Favorite Burgers: West Main (Monday is $5 night)
Honorable Mention: Buffalo Wild Wings (because they're $3 on Weds), Five Guys, Boylan Heights

Favorite Pizza: Mellow Mushroom (order the jerk chicken pizza off-menu, trivia on Weds night)
Honorable Mention: Anna's Pizza, Christian's (late night), Slice, Crozet Pizza, Fry Spring Station

Favorite Chinese Food: Peter Chang's
Honorable Mention: Taste of China

Favorite Mexican Food: Mono Loco
Honorable Mention: El Puerto

Favorite Ice Cream: Sweet Frog
Honorable Mention: Arch's

Favorite Late Night: Marco and Luca's
Honorable Mention: Christian's

Favorite Brunch: West Main

Favorite Upscale Restaurant: Mas
Honorable Mention: Maya

Favorite Bar: Biltmore
Honorable Mention: Michael's, C&O, Boylan Heights

Favorite Sandwiches: Bellair Market
Honorable Mention: Take It Away

Other Restaurants You Should Visit: Continental Divide, Positively 4th Street, Duner's, Michael's, The Local
Other Specials You Should Know About: Three has $5 Tuesdays, Biltmore has $5 Wednesdays, Backyard has 25 cent beers on Fridays (goes up 25 cents every 20 min starting at 5)


I moved here three weeks ago and haven't eaten at like any of these places. This is a quality post. Thank you sir.

User avatar
fouronthe4loor
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:10 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby fouronthe4loor » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:45 am

Heat wrote:
gladiator wrote:A Cville food primer for future (and uninformed current?) Hoos...

Favorite Burgers: West Main (Monday is $5 night)
Honorable Mention: Buffalo Wild Wings (because they're $3 on Weds), Five Guys, Boylan Heights

Favorite Pizza: Mellow Mushroom (order the jerk chicken pizza off-menu, trivia on Weds night)
Honorable Mention: Anna's Pizza, Christian's (late night), Slice, Crozet Pizza, Fry Spring Station

Favorite Chinese Food: Peter Chang's
Honorable Mention: Taste of China

Favorite Mexican Food: Mono Loco
Honorable Mention: El Puerto

Favorite Ice Cream: Sweet Frog
Honorable Mention: Arch's

Favorite Late Night: Marco and Luca's
Honorable Mention: Christian's

Favorite Brunch: West Main

Favorite Upscale Restaurant: Mas
Honorable Mention: Maya

Favorite Bar: Biltmore
Honorable Mention: Michael's, C&O, Boylan Heights

Favorite Sandwiches: Bellair Market
Honorable Mention: Take It Away

Other Restaurants You Should Visit: Continental Divide, Positively 4th Street, Duner's, Michael's, The Local
Other Specials You Should Know About: Three has $5 Tuesdays, Biltmore has $5 Wednesdays, Backyard has 25 cent beers on Fridays (goes up 25 cents every 20 min starting at 5)


I moved here three weeks ago and haven't eaten at like any of these places. This is a quality post. Thank you sir.


I also recommend checking out La Michoacana Deli if you're looking for traditional Mexican.

User avatar
swinger
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby swinger » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:59 am

gladiator wrote:a lot of things that are mostly wrong


A Cville food primer for future (and uninformed current?) Hoos...

Favorite Burgers: West Main (Monday is $5 night) Boylan Heights, but Buffalo Wild Wings on Wed
Honorable Mention: Buffalo Wild Wings (because they're $3 on Weds), Five Guys, Boylan Heights Five Guys, West Main
Favorite Pizza: Mellow Mushroom (order the jerk chicken pizza off-menu, trivia on Weds night)
Honorable Mention: Anna's Pizza, Christian's (late night), Slice, Crozet Pizza, Fry Spring Station, Brixx (how could you leave off Brixx- it just screams Spring 2011 men's softball championship)
Favorite Chinese Food: Peter Chang's (for good quality); Hibachi (for a huge buffett for under $10- you want this, i will take any 1L who wants to go)
Honorable Mention: Taste of China


Favorite Mexican Food: Mono Loco; El Puerto (these two places offer seriously different things, both are great)
Honorable Mention: El Puerto

Favorite Ice Cream: Sweet Frog Arch's (three words: uncooked brownie topping)
Honorable Mention: Arch's Sweet Frog

Favorite Late Night: Marco and Luca's No. The answer is White Spot. The answer is ALWAYS White Spot.
Honorable Mention: Christian's (for when the White Spot line is too long); How late is Buttz open now?; Pita Pit

Favorite Brunch: West Main Horse and Hound

Favorite Upscale Restaurant: Mas; C&O; Zocalo; You cant go wrong with any of these, all very different.
Honorable Mention: Maya; Boathouse

Favorite Bar: Biltmore
Honorable Mention: Michael's, C&O, Boylan Heights What is wrong with you? This is like an eskimo giving advice on the best tropical vacation. TCR is Three; Trinity; Boylan on Wednesdays (after you get your BWW 3 dollar burger); Virginian on Sundays; Backyard when Bilt's line is too long/Fridays during progressives; Coupe's to taste.

Favorite Sandwiches: Bellair Market
Honorable Mention: Take It Away

Other Restaurants You Should Visit: Continental Divide, Positively 4th Street, Duner's, Michael's,The Local
Other Specials You Should Know About: Three has $5 Tuesdays, Biltmore has $5 Wednesdays, Backyard has 25 cent beers on Fridays (goes up 25 cents every 20 min starting at 5)

User avatar
wackjickham
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby wackjickham » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:11 am

The above post looks like my first memo.




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest