UVA Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
sundance95

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby sundance95 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:59 pm

Obviously, a higher LSAT score is necessary. I was only answering the questions about how to get residency.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:00 pm

Art Vandalay wrote:Long post

The VA residency isn't going to make much of a difference in your case. If you get a 170+ and ED you have a really good chance to get accepted IS or OOS. Your chances may go up slightly IS, but probably not by that much. If you can't break 170 you have pretty much a zero percent chance no matter what. Establishing residency is really only going to be helpful for saving 5k a year on tuition if you get the 170+ LSAT score.

Art Vandalay

Postby Art Vandalay » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:57 pm

Thanks for all the comments and advice, class of 2014!

swinger

Postby swinger » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:40 am

Art Vandalay wrote:Thanks for all the comments and advice, class of 2014!

HEY! Plenty of c/o 2013/2012 and even 2011 roaming around in here.

Art Vandalay

Postby Art Vandalay » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:50 am

swinger wrote:
Art Vandalay wrote:Thanks for all the comments and advice, class of 2014!

HEY! Plenty of c/o 2013/2012 and even 2011 roaming around in here.

What the hell am I thinking neglecting the classes of 2012 and 2013? Thanks to them as well!

upalittletoolate

Postby upalittletoolate » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:31 am

Thought I'd jump in while the residency thing was still being discussed:

I'm starting in August at UVA, moving up there August 15 to begin my lease. I'd like to gain residency for my 2L and 3L years, but I understand if that's not possible. Thing is, I'll be getting married during Christmas break of 1L, and my fiancée still needs to finish her undergrad. How easy is it for her to establish residency? A lot of the VA undergrads (UVa included) offer substantial tuition discounts to residents, and this would really help financially if she was able to take advantage of those.

If her reason for moving to the state was marriage, would that be enough to establish residency? I do actually plan on staying in Va longterm btw, and I'd be willing tonchange our licenses and plates ASAP.

Thanks for the help!! (from my phone- sorry for the typos!)

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:27 pm

After getting the email containing all of the academic orientation information, this ish is getting so real! very excited!!

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:37 pm

yep--I jumped when I got the info. I am super excited....also finished my medical stuff today just need to send it in and need to fill out that pesky direct deposit thing----fill it out! you don't want to be the guy/girl who gets their loan money in october!

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:39 pm

upalittletoolate wrote:Thought I'd jump in while the residency thing was still being discussed:

I'm starting in August at UVA, moving up there August 15 to begin my lease. I'd like to gain residency for my 2L and 3L years, but I understand if that's not possible. Thing is, I'll be getting married during Christmas break of 1L, and my fiancée still needs to finish her undergrad. How easy is it for her to establish residency? A lot of the VA undergrads (UVa included) offer substantial tuition discounts to residents, and this would really help financially if she was able to take advantage of those.

If her reason for moving to the state was marriage, would that be enough to establish residency? I do actually plan on staying in Va longterm btw, and I'd be willing tonchange our licenses and plates ASAP.

Thanks for the help!! (from my phone- sorry for the typos!)

I'm guessing you won't have a job at any point? If you are a student it will be very very difficult. It's a slam dunk if you have a job, live in VA, and list your SO as your financial dependent on your taxes.

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:09 pm

sundance95 wrote:I'm guessing you won't have a job at any point? If you are a student it will be very very difficult. It's a slam dunk if you have a job, live in VA, and list your SO as your financial dependent on your taxes.

I agree it will be difficult without a year of in-state employment.

Here's a link to the VA Code which sets the rules:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504 ... cod+23-7.4

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:59 am

FWIW, when I deferred, Dugas made sure to send me an email telling me that as long as I moved to Virginia before classes started that year I could attain residency for next (this) year when I attend. He never mentioned anything about needing to work.

616rewind

Postby 616rewind » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:12 pm

Anybody know how/if it's possible to add your UVA gmail acct. to your main gmail acct. (rather than the other way around)?

albanach

Postby albanach » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:36 pm

616rewind wrote:Anybody know how/if it's possible to add your UVA gmail acct. to your main gmail acct. (rather than the other way around)?

In UVA Gmail settings you can enable POP3 and set up a password for external access.

Then in your current gmail account you can go into settings, select Accounts and use the "Get mail from other accounts:" to fetch mail from your UVA Gmail.

It should be pretty straightforward.

616rewind

Postby 616rewind » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:03 pm

albanach wrote:
616rewind wrote:Anybody know how/if it's possible to add your UVA gmail acct. to your main gmail acct. (rather than the other way around)?

In UVA Gmail settings you can enable POP3 and set up a password for external access.

Then in your current gmail account you can go into settings, select Accounts and use the "Get mail from other accounts:" to fetch mail from your UVA Gmail.

Yea I'm sure it should be, I'm just bad with this stuff. When I go into the "Get mail from other accounts" screen, I use the @virginia.edu domain, and then the server and port settings default to cms.mail.virginia.edu and 995, but it denies me when I try to add the account. I've already enabled POP on my UVA account... not sure what I'm doing wrong I guess.

pjo

Postby pjo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:12 pm

616rewind wrote:
albanach wrote:

Yea I'm sure it should be, I'm just bad with this stuff. When I go into the "Get mail from other accounts" screen, I use the @virginia.edu domain, and then the server and port settings default to cms.mail.virginia.edu and 995, but it denies me when I try to add the account. I've already enabled POP on my UVA account... not sure what I'm doing wrong I guess.
'

FWIW mine took like half a day before it started automatically forwarding my emails to my main gmail acct.

esq

Postby esq » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:56 pm

Is it possible to access Symplicity and see what kind of jobs our school is reeling in before we start this fall? As of now, it won't allow me access.

albanach

Postby albanach » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:14 pm

616rewind wrote:Yea I'm sure it should be, I'm just bad with this stuff. When I go into the "Get mail from other accounts" screen, I use the @virginia.edu domain, and then the server and port settings default to cms.mail.virginia.edu and 995, but it denies me when I try to add the account. I've already enabled POP on my UVA account... not sure what I'm doing wrong I guess.

Change the server from the virginia.edu one to pop.gmail.com

your username should be your full email address.

The port number, 995, should be correct.

616rewind

Postby 616rewind » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:35 pm

albanach wrote:
616rewind wrote:Yea I'm sure it should be, I'm just bad with this stuff. When I go into the "Get mail from other accounts" screen, I use the @virginia.edu domain, and then the server and port settings default to cms.mail.virginia.edu and 995, but it denies me when I try to add the account. I've already enabled POP on my UVA account... not sure what I'm doing wrong I guess.

Change the server from the virginia.edu one to pop.gmail.com

your username should be your full email address.

The port number, 995, should be correct.

This did it. thanks dude.

inmans

Postby inmans » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:48 pm

Is pick up basketball popular among law school students? Haven't found many athletic outlets outside of b-ball, and i'd love to keep it going

If you're interested, PM me and hopefully we can get something rolling when everyone's settled in. Can't wait!

WVUCelticFan

Postby WVUCelticFan » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:52 pm

inmans wrote:Is pick up basketball popular among law school students? Haven't found many athletic outlets outside of b-ball, and i'd love to keep it going

If you're interested, PM me and hopefully we can get something rolling when everyone's settled in. Can't wait!

Someone in the 2l questions thread told me you could normally find pickup basketball and soccer games going on without too much trouble.

As another option for an athletic outlet, Charlottesville has a men's club rugby team I know I am going to be checking out. Practices are on Tuesday and Thursday I believe.

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:54 pm

Anybody else into racquetball?

swinger

Postby swinger » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:55 pm

WVUCelticFan wrote:
inmans wrote:Is pick up basketball popular among law school students? Haven't found many athletic outlets outside of b-ball, and i'd love to keep it going

Someone in the 2l questions thread told me you could normally find pickup basketball and soccer games going on without too much trouble.

As another option for an athletic outlet, Charlottesville has a men's club rugby team I know I am going to be checking out. Practices are on Tuesday and Thursday I believe.

There are almost always pick up games going on at North Grounds gym. Most of them involve law students. We also send multiple teams to UVA-wide intramurals for several sports.

Regarding Rugby, not only does Cville have a team, but UVA specificly does. I dont know if there are many law students, but I know the Rugby team comes to our 'organization fair' so you can sign up there.

swinger

Postby swinger » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:58 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:Anybody else into racquetball?

Theres a pretty sizable handful of UVA Law people who play. We had a tournament in the middle of the fall semester last year, I imagine we will do it again. It will introduce you to all of the people who play often, tho I am sure you can find plenty of partners before then.

PM me if you ever need someone to play against.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:06 pm

pickup bball ftw

also, what are you doing this summer swinger, you seem to be hanging out on tls quite a bit lately? did you stay in charlottesville for the summer?

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:40 pm

Law Sauce wrote:pickup bball ftw

also, what are you doing this summer swinger, you seem to be hanging out on tls quite a bit lately? did you stay in charlottesville for the summer?

He wishes he did.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”