UVA Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
swinger
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby swinger » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:32 am

you guys have no idea what you are in for. i hope yall are using this summer to brace yourselves (for what could be the best year of your lives)

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby Law Sauce » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:09 am

swinger wrote:you guys have no idea what you are in for. i hope yall are using this summer to brace yourselves (for what could be the best year of your lives)


I imagine that you are enjoying saying this menacingly

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby gladiator » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:13 am

Law Sauce wrote:
swinger wrote:you guys have no idea what you are in for. i hope yall are using this summer to brace yourselves (for what could be the best year of your lives)


I imagine that you are enjoying saying this menacingly


No, unless you screw it up by being a hermit, most of your time at UVA will exceed your expectations for fun and happiness.

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby Law Sauce » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:22 am

gladiator wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:
swinger wrote:you guys have no idea what you are in for. i hope yall are using this summer to brace yourselves (for what could be the best year of your lives)


I imagine that you are enjoying saying this menacingly


No, unless you screw it up by being a hermit, most of your time at UVA will exceed your expectations for fun and happiness.


Yea I believe you, I still think that swinger enjoyed typing this

User avatar
swinger
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby swinger » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:27 am

Law Sauce wrote:
gladiator wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:
I imagine that you are enjoying saying this menacingly


No, unless you screw it up by being a hermit, most of your time at UVA will exceed your expectations for fun and happiness.


Yea I believe you, I still think that swinger enjoyed typing this


I enjoy most of the things I say, that is why I say them. But Gladiator knows me quite well (unfortunately) and is dead on. If you choose to be the type of person that lives in the library and studies during all of your free time then my comment does not apply to you. If you are normal and are interested in blowing off steam when the workload isnt so bad then YOU WILL LOVE THIS PLACE.

Part of me wishes I had stayed there for the summer. :cry:

Also, how cool are these smilies! You just click them!

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby Law Sauce » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:36 am

swinger wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:
gladiator wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:
I imagine that you are enjoying saying this menacingly


No, unless you screw it up by being a hermit, most of your time at UVA will exceed your expectations for fun and happiness.


Yea I believe you, I still think that swinger enjoyed typing this


I enjoy most of the things I say, that is why I say them. But Gladiator knows me quite well (unfortunately) and is dead on. If you choose to be the type of person that lives in the library and studies during all of your free time then my comment does not apply to you. If you are normal and are interested in blowing off steam when the workload isnt so bad then YOU WILL LOVE THIS PLACE.

Part of me wishes I had stayed there for the summer. :cry:

Also, how cool are these smilies! You just click them!


:D on all fronts

crossingforHYS
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby crossingforHYS » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:08 pm

swinger wrote:you guys have no idea what you are in for. i hope yall are using this summer to brace yourselves (for what could be the best year of your lives)

:( unfortunatly , I will be the hermit.

Just my personality.

User avatar
swinger
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby swinger » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:15 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:
swinger wrote:you guys have no idea what you are in for. i hope yall are using this summer to brace yourselves (for what could be the best year of your lives)

:( unfortunatly , I will be the hermit.

Just my personality.


until dandelion...

616rewind
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:25 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby 616rewind » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:39 pm

i'm down for fantasy football, poker, flipping coins for money, etc.

kishi121
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:55 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby kishi121 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:10 pm

I am a rising 3L at UVA law. Just passing through and thought I would say hello and welcome you all to UVA Law! I saw the comment a few posts ago about the this upcoming year(s) being the best year(s) of your life. Yes, it is true that UVA is an awesome place to be and if you are like me, you will spend the first semester talking to other 1Ls about how happy you are to be here. I would imagine that all of you will have a great experience. First year will undoubtedly be stressful but the best part about UVA is that you will have a very supportive group of fellow students helping you along the way. Look forward to meeting many of you this upcoming year. I'll be a Peer Advisor so I'll see many of you in August.

User avatar
joeshmo39
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:15 am

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby joeshmo39 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:59 am

Fantasy football could have been a success last year (if it happened). We had some hilarious names to start things off like "Mr. Jefferson's Calvary" and "Doc Review Dynasty," it just never came together.

I also have an announcement, seen with my own two eyes just 12 hours ago: they are recarpeting the library. YEAH! There is actually a ton of construction going on in the library, it's really loud. A lot of summer RAs are doing research at home I'm hearing. Still, their suffering is our gain with fresh new carpet.

Heat
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby Heat » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:05 am

I'm in Charlottesville. Since I'm lazy and can blame the fact I can only work for 2 months (a fact that doesn't make me highly desirable) as a reason for not looking for employment I'm basically sitting around doing nothing. I dunno when others plan to get here but I'm here, living at Jefferson Ridge, andddd not doing anything at all. I imagine most of you won't be here for some time still, though.

P.S. Fantasy football is coming but theres no reason to rush seeing as they don't even have a labor agreement yet.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby Cavalier » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:54 am

joeshmo39 wrote:Fantasy football could have been a success last year (if it happened). We had some hilarious names to start things off like "Mr. Jefferson's Calvary" and "Doc Review Dynasty," it just never came together.

I also have an announcement, seen with my own two eyes just 12 hours ago: they are recarpeting the library. YEAH! There is actually a ton of construction going on in the library, it's really loud. A lot of summer RAs are doing research at home I'm hearing. Still, their suffering is our gain with fresh new carpet.

That is awesome news.

Art Vandalay
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby Art Vandalay » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:15 pm

Greetings, UVA Class of 2014! I've come to this thread seeking your advice. Any tips, comments, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to respond here or PM me. THANKS!

UVA has been my dream school since I decided I wanted to be a lawyer. I applied to UVA ED this cycle with about a .0001% chance of getting admitted. I've taken the LSAT twice(low 150s and 160 in October 2010). I'm an OOS white male with a 3.3 LSAC GPA, but FWIW I have a very strong upward grade trend (last two years my GPA was around 3.8ish and highest honor roll each of last four semesters), some decent ECs but nothing special, one year WE. This cycle hasn't really panned out like I would have hoped. The only school I've been accepted to is my UGs T3 law school, and I've been WLed at two top 30 schools (not really expecting to get in off WLs). My UGs law school is decent if you want to remain in the state and practice, but that is not what I want to do. Moreover, I don't know if I could spend another three years in the same small town.

I'm seriously thinking about retaking the LSAT and gunning for the magical 170+ that would give me a good chance of getting into UVA ED. The week of the October 2010 test the material was really beginning to click. I made a 169 on my final PT two days before the actual test, but scored a 160 on the actual test :( . Also, I want to give myself the best chance I can to get admitted, so if I decide to retake the LSAT, I'm seriously considering moving to VA and establishing residency.

A few questions: Should I retake and make the move to VA (most likely Charlottesville), or just suck it up, go to a T3, (hopefully) kick ass, then try to transfer to UVA? If I do decide to retake and move to VA and establish residency, would I still need a 170+ to get accepted ED, or would being a resident give me some leeway with regard to my LSAT score? If I make the move, how difficult would it be to establish residency and find a decent apartment?

Thanks again, future Cavaliers!

User avatar
joeshmo39
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:15 am

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby joeshmo39 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:28 pm

Uhhh, wow, that is some plan sir. I would say the go to a T3 and transfer option is not a good one if you don't like the T3. It's hard to plan to transfer because no one knows where in the class they will end up. It's something too remote to really plan on. Grading isn't as simple as "I'm smart and tried hard and therefor will get an A." If you would be fine graduating from that T3 going is not a terrible plan. That way, even if the transfer doesn't work out, you will still be happy.

The retaking the LSAT thing seems plausible. If the T3 you mentioned didn't give you a scholarship I would not attend it, unless it's already cheap. That's just conventional wisdom - don't pay sticker unless it's T-? (everyone has their own cut-off). No one cuts it at top 150 though. That means you will need a high LSAT score to get into better schools or get money at lower schools. Might as well take it a third time.

The in-state residency thing seems extreme, like stalker extreme. Will it increase your chances? Yes, somewhat. But, it's a pretty dramatic step for you to take for a slightly better chance at admission. I would say sit tight unless you have some compelling reason to be in VA. Good luck and feel free to PM about things you may need to know. I would say right now you need to read the pithypike guide, get some practice LSATs, get the Powerscore bibles, and just make magic. Maybe you've already done that, but it sounds like you were just peaking. Give it one more go. Besides, you can take the October test and still be in a decent position on applications.

User avatar
Gecko of Doom
Posts: 415
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby Gecko of Doom » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:36 pm

Art Vandalay wrote:Greetings, UVA Class of 2014! I've come to this thread seeking your advice. Any tips, comments, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to respond here or PM me. THANKS!

UVA has been my dream school since I decided I wanted to be a lawyer. I applied to UVA ED this cycle with about a .0001% chance of getting admitted. I've taken the LSAT twice(low 150s and 160 in October 2010). I'm an OOS white male with a 3.3 LSAC GPA, but FWIW I have a very strong upward grade trend (last two years my GPA was around 3.8ish and highest honor roll each of last four semesters), some decent ECs but nothing special, one year WE. This cycle hasn't really panned out like I would have hoped. The only school I've been accepted to is my UGs T3 law school, and I've been WLed at two top 30 schools (not really expecting to get in off WLs). My UGs law school is decent if you want to remain in the state and practice, but that is not what I want to do. Moreover, I don't know if I could spend another three years in the same small town.

I'm seriously thinking about retaking the LSAT and gunning for the magical 170+ that would give me a good chance of getting into UVA ED. The week of the October 2010 test the material was really beginning to click. I made a 169 on my final PT two days before the actual test, but scored a 160 on the actual test :( . Also, I want to give myself the best chance I can to get admitted, so if I decide to retake the LSAT, I'm seriously considering moving to VA and establishing residency.

A few questions: Should I retake and make the move to VA (most likely Charlottesville), or just suck it up, go to a T3, (hopefully) kick ass, then try to transfer to UVA? If I do decide to retake and move to VA and establish residency, would I still need a 170+ to get accepted ED, or would being a resident give me some leeway with regard to my LSAT score? If I make the move, how difficult would it be to establish residency and find a decent apartment?

Thanks again, future Cavaliers!

Simply judging from LSN, it looks like you'll need 170+ to be competitive for UVA ED. Also, something to consider before moving: if I'm remembering my research correctly, it's much more difficult to establish residency in Virginia than it is in most states. You may not be able to gain in-state status by next application cycle, and even if you could, I don't think it would increase your chances greatly. So I would be cautious about moving for the sole purpose of establishing residency.

Whatever you decide about moving, I would definitely suggest retaking. If you're confident you can get your score up to 170+, or even the high 160's, you'll be able to do a lot better than T3.

Art Vandalay
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby Art Vandalay » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:43 pm

Thanks for the reply, joeshmo. The T3 did not offer me any money, but instate tuition is a bargain. I'm not sure that I would be happy attending the T3, and if I don't do well enough to transfer then I'll wonder what might have been if I would've given the LSAT one more shot.

I'll admit the moving to VA idea is a little extreme, that's why I was curious if it would really give my app that much of boost. Would I have a better chance of getting admitted as an instate applicant with a 3.33 GPA and 166-169 LSAT, or would I still need a 170+ plus as an instate applicant?

Also, I already have plenty of LSAT materials, so I'm set in that department.

@ Gecko: Thanks for the advice. That's kind of what I was thinking.

User avatar
wackjickham
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby wackjickham » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:45 pm

Tagged for Swinger

Art Vandalay
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby Art Vandalay » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:55 pm

wackjickham wrote:Tagged for Swinger


Is the tagging directed toward my post, wackjickham?

User avatar
itsirtou
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby itsirtou » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:03 pm

swinger wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:
gladiator wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:
I imagine that you are enjoying saying this menacingly


No, unless you screw it up by being a hermit, most of your time at UVA will exceed your expectations for fun and happiness.


Yea I believe you, I still think that swinger enjoyed typing this


I enjoy most of the things I say, that is why I say them. But Gladiator knows me quite well (unfortunately) and is dead on. If you choose to be the type of person that lives in the library and studies during all of your free time then my comment does not apply to you. If you are normal and are interested in blowing off steam when the workload isnt so bad then YOU WILL LOVE THIS PLACE.

Part of me wishes I had stayed there for the summer. :cry:

Also, how cool are these smilies! You just click them!


lol i am so glad i'm here for the summer

LOVE CHARLOTTESVILLE SFM

User avatar
swinger
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby swinger » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:16 pm

Art Vandalay wrote:
wackjickham wrote:Tagged for Swinger


Is the tagging directed toward my post, wackjickham?


Negative, it is tagged for me. Also, no, wackjickham, this was not the thread I was referring to (but certainly a thread you should be invested in).

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19667
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby dailygrind » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:10 pm

Art Vandalay wrote:Thanks for the reply, joeshmo. The T3 did not offer me any money, but instate tuition is a bargain. I'm not sure that I would be happy attending the T3, and if I don't do well enough to transfer then I'll wonder what might have been if I would've given the LSAT one more shot.

I'll admit the moving to VA idea is a little extreme, that's why I was curious if it would really give my app that much of boost. Would I have a better chance of getting admitted as an instate applicant with a 3.33 GPA and 166-169 LSAT, or would I still need a 170+ plus as an instate applicant?

Also, I already have plenty of LSAT materials, so I'm set in that department.

@ Gecko: Thanks for the advice. That's kind of what I was thinking.


As someone else mentioned, you should definitely confirm that you will be able to get residency in VA before you apply, but I think it's relatively simple if you do it before you're admitted to the law school (I believe it's something like live and work here for 1 year. If you wait until after you're admitted, I think you have to marry a Virginian and promise to name your firstborn child Jefferson/Jeffina to get instate residency). However, I would strongly advise you not move to Virginia just for an increased chance at admission. Uprooting your life just for a small admission boost and ~5k/year saved in instate tuition doesn't really seem like a good trade to me, and if you score below 170, it's probably going to turn up bust. But if you decide you want to do it, I'd probably understand. Either way, make sure you take advantage of the LSAT prep forum, there's a lot of really good advice in there from people who have done exceedingly well at the LSAT. Good luck and godspeed.

Art Vandalay
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby Art Vandalay » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:32 pm

Thanks for the reply, dailygrind. I doubt I'll make the early move to VA. After doing some more research and getting some great feedback, I would still need a 170+, regardless of residency, to get admitted with my GPA. I guess I'll have to dust off the ole LSAT prep books and get to studying.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby sundance95 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:41 pm

As someone who made the move to VA to get residency, its pretty damn easy. You need to live in VA for one year prior to the start of classes. Practically speaking, this means you can move to VA on August 1, submit an ED app on September 1 and be considered a resident. It's open and shut if you can get a job and pay VA state taxes, but even if not, if you switch your drivers license and car plates to VA you should have no problem. From what I was told, the residency office tries to include, not exclude, residency applicants.

t-ender
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:26 am

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby t-ender » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:51 pm

sundance95 wrote:As someone who made the move to VA to get residency, its pretty damn easy. You need to live in VA for one year prior to the start of classes. Practically speaking, this means you can move to VA on August 1, submit an ED app on September 1 and be considered a resident. It's open and shut if you can get a job and pay VA state taxes, but even if not, if you switch your drivers license and car plates to VA you should have no problem. From what I was told, the residency office tries to include, not exclude, residency applicants.


But will residency even help a 3.3 / 160? Unless s/he is at or above either 3.85 or 170 I don't think it will make much difference.




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests