UVA Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
yngblkgifted

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed May 11, 2011 8:24 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
They're definitely not ghetto in the sense of being dangerous. They're ghetto in the sense of "If I'm willing to move 2 miles away, I could have a pool and dishwasher for this price."

Not to mention you could also have wireless, gym facilities,bball courts,internet cafe with free color printing, hbo, newer rooms, your own walk in closet all for the same price if not lower. I couldn't believe the difference in quality between the "near campus" housing and the "ten minute drive away" housing. I for one will be driving to school.

1. Wake up 5 minutes before class.
2. Do the dougie for 3 minutes.3. Arrive at class 2 minutes late.

Literally lol'ed

bluecrab5448

Postby bluecrab5448 » Thu May 12, 2011 12:36 pm

Parthus wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:
pjo wrote:Have you guys accepted/declined your loan amounts on SIS yet? Is there a deadline for doing that?

I have. I don't know.

There is a deadline. It's usually in late July or early august. You will have to also sign your Master Promissory Notes.

Deadline is July 1st according to Financial Aid office.

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Thu May 12, 2011 3:03 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:what about uheights?

Is there a shuttle that goes from the apartment to the law school? or any bus?

They have a shuttle, but it seems to be pretty worthless for a law student. I think it drops you off somewhere else on campus and then you have to take another shuttle to the law school. I think the walk is like a mile or so though so that's not an absurd distance that I'm guessing would probably be preferable to taking a shuttle in most situations (I'm assuming the shuttle question had to do with not wanting to drive)

Also, Uheights has been described as "hood" by some of the current students. I can't comment one way or another on that.

I was thinking shuttle, b/c I wont have a car....:(

fiddlerscribbler

Postby fiddlerscribbler » Thu May 12, 2011 5:33 pm

If you're still looking for a place in C-Ville, my roommate and I are rising 1Ls living in the Woodlands (http://www.woodlandsofcharlottesville.com). My friends have called it the nicest complex in town, and I have to agree. We have a townhome that rents for $565 a month, plus around $65 in utilities. The amenities are great--a free shuttle to the front door of the law school, huge swimming pool, view of the hills from our front door, a gym, and even a movie theatre. I can't imagine living anywhere else. If you're interested, send me a message!

Also, as someone who spent her first year rooming with 2Ls, I have to say it was a big advantage. You get the benefit of experience, plus someone who can scrape you off the ceiling when the stress gets too high. We've survived, and you can, too! Just my two cents. Congrats to the incoming class of 2014!

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu May 12, 2011 5:58 pm

fiddlerscribbler wrote:If you're still looking for a place in C-Ville, my roommate and I are rising 1Ls living in the Woodlands (http://www.woodlandsofcharlottesville.com). My friends have called it the nicest complex in town, and I have to agree. We have a townhome that rents for $565 a month, plus around $65 in utilities. The amenities are great--a free shuttle to the front door of the law school, huge swimming pool, view of the hills from our front door, a gym, and even a movie theatre. I can't imagine living anywhere else. If you're interested, send me a message!

Also, as someone who spent her first year rooming with 2Ls, I have to say it was a big advantage. You get the benefit of experience, plus someone who can scrape you off the ceiling when the stress gets too high. We've survived, and you can, too! Just my two cents. Congrats to the incoming class of 2014!

Didn't like 5 people get shot there?

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Thu May 12, 2011 6:02 pm

fiddlerscribbler wrote:My friends have called it the nicest complex in town, and I have to agree. We have a townhome that rents for $565 a month

Based on the website it seems substantially more expensive than that. I'm guessing this is your share, right?

fiddlerscribbler

Postby fiddlerscribbler » Thu May 12, 2011 7:18 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
fiddlerscribbler wrote:My friends have called it the nicest complex in town, and I have to agree. We have a townhome that rents for $565 a month

Based on the website it seems substantially more expensive than that. I'm guessing this is your share, right?

Definitely--sorry if I didn't make that clear.

And very funny, Kohinoor. :roll: I mean, I assume it's a joke. The first thing my micro-managing father did when I signed the lease here was look up the crime reports in the area. Pretty squeaky clean, fortunately.

grash

Postby grash » Sun May 15, 2011 12:14 pm

nm
Last edited by grash on Sun May 22, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kishi121

Postby kishi121 » Wed May 18, 2011 7:33 pm

Hey all,

I am a rising 3L. Just have a recommendation for housing for those still looking. I have lived at Nob Hill Apartments for the past 2 years. I am moving out this upcoming year to live with law school friends, but I would definitely recommend the property. It is geared towards professionals and grad students and about 5 minutes from the lovely downtown area. It is more expensive than most 1BR, but the apartments are absolutely beautiful and quiet. Management has been great at quickly getting things fixed. You would need a car to drive to and from school. The drive is about 10 minutes tops.

Check it out here: http://www.brac.com/details.cfm?config=1244

rachelkatelyn

Postby rachelkatelyn » Mon May 23, 2011 10:24 am

Just submitted my deposit and I'll officially be headed to UVA in the fall. :)

I'm getting a late start looking for places to live... Does anyone know anything about Carriage Hill or the Lakeside?

kishi121

Postby kishi121 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:16 pm

Hi all,

I have another housing recommendation for those who are still looking. I am a rising 3L. My good friend Haryo who is a LLM student at UVA Law from Indonesia and is looking for a roommate for the upcoming year. Below is his posting. Please contact him if you would be interested or know someone who would be interested.

All the best!

-----------------------------
My name is Haryo. I am currently looking for a housemate to share a two bedrooms apartment at Ivy Garden (http://www.ivygarden.com/home.htm) for 2011-2012 term. I moved in to the apartment last fall so no need to worry about getting the electricity, water and internet set up. Partially furnished (already got some furniture, dinning table, and cooking utensils).

A little bit about me, I finished my LL.M. in '10 and currently continue to the SJD program in UVA Law School. I'm 24 year old guy, but I had no preference for male or female as my roommate. I'm looking for an outgoing housemate and non smoker.

Please contact me directly to haryo.bn@gmail.com if interested.
------------------

East Coast Law

Postby East Coast Law » Thu May 26, 2011 7:17 am

I just signed a lease at barracks west- I got a great price for a two bedroom and its about a mile from school

swinger

Postby swinger » Thu May 26, 2011 8:25 am

alirod12 wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:I think Ivy and Jeffersonian are where many 1Ls live, and maybe Arlington Court condo too. They are all within walking distance to the school. It's too late to find an apartment in Jeffersonian now (unless you want to room with someone who already got one there). You can apply for an aparment at Ivy through their management office, although some people have had bad experience with them. You can find an apartment in Arlington Court on Craigslist or http://www.brac.com since the condos are individually owned.

Craigslist is a good place to look. Just look out for the scams.

All the places mentioned above are ghetto and overpriced. Find something on craigslist.

If you are used to living in luxury and require that for your first year then yes, Ivy/Jeffersonian might not be for you. If you are the 'social type' I'd recommend Ivy over anything else, simply because of the mass of 1Ls that live there. It makes congregating so much easier. Ivy is the place to be even if you don't like going out but want to live near a LOT of people in your section/other 1Ls just for like watching TV together or study groups at home. One pool is under construction but I bet will be done soon enough and the other is clean, in the sun, and busy enough but never too busy. Perfect for reading poolside, relaxing with classmates, or late night dips with a bunch of friends. Jeffersonian's pool looks a little less used (perhaps for good reason). Both are a very short walk from the law school (Ivy-10 minutes or so, Jeffersonian- 5 minutes or so.) The apartments in both are completely livable- i know Ivy has a dishwasher- and you won't be spending as much time in your apt as you think anyway. HTH. PM me for any other questions regarding how awesome Ivy is.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Thu May 26, 2011 1:30 pm

This jumped into my head just now, thought I'd record it:

Think long and hard before you buy The Lawyer's Craft. That's a whole bottle of Smirnoff you'll be spending elsewhere.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Thu May 26, 2011 10:23 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:This jumped into my head just now, thought I'd record it:

Think long and hard before you buy The Lawyer's Craft. That's a whole bottle of Smirnoff you'll be spending elsewhere.

The only book you need for LRW is the bluebook.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu May 26, 2011 10:32 pm

vamedic03 wrote:

The only book you need for LRW is the bluebook.

That's a lie, I never used the Bluebook.

dontstopbelivin

Postby dontstopbelivin » Fri May 27, 2011 3:36 pm

It looks like the laptop bundles for 2014 have been released (http://www.uvastudentcomputers.com/shop_law.asp?mscssid=AF111AE70567448B91D17110AD42F9E8)

I know the merits of the bundle have been discussed in depth before, but I wonder if those arguments change based on these specific options? Any thoughts? (Also, why on earth is a Dell costing nearly $1400? I'm pretty sure I could swing by the local electronics store and get several for that same price).

WVUCelticFan

Postby WVUCelticFan » Fri May 27, 2011 4:30 pm

dontstopbelivin wrote:It looks like the laptop bundles for 2014 have been released (http://www.uvastudentcomputers.com/shop_law.asp?mscssid=AF111AE70567448B91D17110AD42F9E8)

I know the merits of the bundle have been discussed in depth before, but I wonder if those arguments change based on these specific options? Any thoughts? (Also, why on earth is a Dell costing nearly $1400? I'm pretty sure I could swing by the local electronics store and get several for that same price).

I just bought the macbook that they have on my own. It was ~$1280 before tax, including the apple care for three years. Assuming the UVA bundle will also have tax added on, I think it comes down to whether having the loaner option available in addition to Apple Care is worth eighty bucks to you.

albanach

Postby albanach » Fri May 27, 2011 10:08 pm

dontstopbelivin wrote:I know the merits of the bundle have been discussed in depth before, but I wonder if those arguments change based on these specific options? Any thoughts? (Also, why on earth is a Dell costing nearly $1400? I'm pretty sure I could swing by the local electronics store and get several for that same price).

The Dell is a Latitude from their business range. These are much better constructed than the typical consumer options and, at least when you have a decent commercial support contract, are well (or were a couple of years ago) supported by staff based in the US.

That said, the big selling point is the loaner laptop. I have a cheap but decent laptop at the moment which I'll be holding on to as my personal loaner and buying a laptop similar to the ones on offer from elsewhere.

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Sun May 29, 2011 2:43 pm

WVUCelticFan wrote:
dontstopbelivin wrote:It looks like the laptop bundles for 2014 have been released (http://www.uvastudentcomputers.com/shop_law.asp?mscssid=AF111AE70567448B91D17110AD42F9E8)

I just bought the macbook that they have on my own. It was ~$1280 before tax, including the apple care for three years. Assuming the UVA bundle will also have tax added on, I think it comes down to whether having the loaner option available in addition to Apple Care is worth eighty bucks to you.

you can also have them fix the computer there right?

or can they do that with non-bundles too?

WVUCelticFan

Postby WVUCelticFan » Sun May 29, 2011 5:46 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:
WVUCelticFan wrote:

you can also have them fix the computer there right?

or can they do that with non-bundles too?

I think they will try to help you fix it a problem but not do a full repair for a bundle (just a guess). Regardless, if I had AppleCare and could take a few days without my laptop, I would send back to Apple before I asked UVA IT to fix it. This is just based on prior experience with school IT departments though. I also have an iMac, so I wouldn't be completely computer-less.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sun May 29, 2011 6:37 pm

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sun May 29, 2011 8:22 pm

Or Sobieksi

Take it from a man who has dranken a lot of vodka (perhaps even right now) and has taken LRW...vodka > the lawyers craft.

uvahooo

Postby uvahooo » Mon May 30, 2011 12:29 pm

Doritos wrote:

Or Sobieksi

Take it from a man who has dranken a lot of vodka (perhaps even right now) and has taken LRW...vodka > the lawyers craft.

Doritos, if you are drinking now... perhaps you need to go to an AA meeting.
I need to go to an AA meeting. law school=made me a raging drinker. Wooooooooooooo law skooooool.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon May 30, 2011 12:55 pm

uvahooo wrote:Doritos, if you are drinking now... perhaps you need to go to an AA meeting.
I need to go to an AA meeting. law school=made me a raging drinker. Wooooooooooooo law skooooool.

Ever wonder how many beers is too many when you have to: first go to a siblings prom pictures and then return to a family reunion? Answer is, if you haven't hit double digits, you're definitely fine.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”