UVA Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
suspicious android

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby suspicious android » Wed May 04, 2011 4:17 pm

So I guess UVA didn't oversubscribe this year?

East Coast Law

Postby East Coast Law » Wed May 04, 2011 6:25 pm

Thanks! Im sure this has already been posted, but considering im new & will be looking this weekend, what residence complex are most 1Ls staying in?

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Wed May 04, 2011 7:25 pm

sumbitted deposit.....what is the consensus on where to live?

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Thu May 05, 2011 11:38 am

I think Ivy and Jeffersonian are where many 1Ls live, and maybe Arlington Court condo too. They are all within walking distance to the school. It's too late to find an apartment in Jeffersonian now (unless you want to room with someone who already got one there). You can apply for an aparment at Ivy through their management office, although some people have had bad experience with them. You can find an apartment in Arlington Court on Craigslist or http://www.brac.com since the condos are individually owned.

Craigslist is a good place to look. Just look out for the scams.

EDIT: as people have pointed out, these places, along with Grad Center, UHeights (walk to school?), and maybe a few others are your options if you want to walk to school in a short time. But they are usually overpriced for the quality they offer (if you don't care that much about being able to walk to school). You can find better valued apartments/condos if you are willing to drive for 5 min or so.
Last edited by Apple Tree on Wed May 11, 2011 9:29 am, edited 4 times in total.

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Thu May 05, 2011 12:41 pm

Apple Tree wrote:I think Ivy and Jeffersonian are where many 1Ls live, and maybe Arlington Court condo too. They are all within walking distance to the school. It's too late to find an apartment in Jeffersonian now (unless you want to room with someone who already got one there). You can apply for an aparment at Ivy through their management office, although some people have had bad experience with them. You can find an apartment in Arlington Court on Craigslist or http://www.brac.com since the condos are individually owned.

Thank you!!!!!

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Thu May 05, 2011 11:54 pm

Here's the link to my landlord's properties, if any of y'all don't mind a short drive to school: --LinkRemoved--

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri May 06, 2011 5:32 pm

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Sat May 07, 2011 3:19 pm

anyone planning on living in the grad center and are quite types who like to sleep early, contact me.

I dont want to live there without at least knowing a couple of people who will be placed with me.

Thanks!

alirod12

Postby alirod12 » Tue May 10, 2011 11:17 am

Apple Tree wrote:I think Ivy and Jeffersonian are where many 1Ls live, and maybe Arlington Court condo too. They are all within walking distance to the school. It's too late to find an apartment in Jeffersonian now (unless you want to room with someone who already got one there). You can apply for an aparment at Ivy through their management office, although some people have had bad experience with them. You can find an apartment in Arlington Court on Craigslist or http://www.brac.com since the condos are individually owned.

All the places mentioned above are ghetto and overpriced. Find something on craigslist.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Tue May 10, 2011 1:22 pm

alirod12 wrote:

All the places mentioned above are ghetto and overpriced. Find something on craigslist.

That's true for pretty much anything within walking distance of the school.

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm

alirod12 wrote:

Just reiterating what's been said on TLS... I agree these apartments are generally overpriced, but I guess it depends on if a student wants to live within walking distance of the school. I'm not sure if I would call these places "ghetto" though. When I visited, they seemed to be in a fairly nice and safe neighborhood (which is pretty much the school right?). The apts themselves seemed decent as well. Of course the quality won't come close to places like Jefferson Ridge, but then again it depends on how close a person wants to live to school.

I will say that after dealing with Jeffersonian, I feel like it's a bit overrated. I only wanted to stay there because I wanted to live close to the school and I have pets. But I had so much trouble getting the manager's approval for the pets that it was almost not worth it. I wish I had looked for apartments on Craigslist earlier. The ones close to school are in high demand. When I satrted looking most of them were gone already (at least the ones allowed pets).

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed May 11, 2011 12:32 am

Apple Tree wrote:
alirod12 wrote:

Just reiterating what's been said on TLS... I agree these apartments are generally overpriced, but I guess it depends on if a student wants to live within walking distance of the school. I'm not sure if I would call these places "ghetto" though. When I visited, they seemed to be in a fairly nice and safe neighborhood (which is pretty much the school right?). The apts themselves seemed decent as well. Of course the quality won't come close to places like Jefferson Ridge, but then again it depends on how close a person wants to live to school.

I will say that after dealing with Jeffersonian, I feel like it's a bit overrated. I only wanted to stay there because I wanted to live close to the school and I have pets. But I had so much trouble getting the manager's approval for the pets that it was almost not worth it. I wish I had looked for apartments on Craigslist earlier. The ones close to school are in high demand. When I satrted looking most of them were gone already (at least the ones allowed pets).
They're definitely not ghetto in the sense of being dangerous. They're ghetto in the sense of "If I'm willing to move 2 miles away, I could have a pool and dishwasher for this price."

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Wed May 11, 2011 9:20 am

Kohinoor wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:
alirod12 wrote:

They're definitely not ghetto in the sense of being dangerous. They're ghetto in the sense of "If I'm willing to move 2 miles away, I could have a pool and dishwasher for this price."

Ha I see. Yes they are overpriced. Will add that to my original post.

Parthus

Postby Parthus » Wed May 11, 2011 3:11 pm

Congrats Class of 2014!!!
I'm a current student of UVA LAW and if any of you are looking for somewhere to live still, my townhouse will be ready to take over by July 1.

Specs:
- It's a newly renovated two bed/two bath two-story townhouse (each bathroom is within each bedroom, so no one has to pick which one's the master)
- fenced in backyard
- newly renovated kitchen and appliances
- includes washer/dryer
- PETS ALLOWED!
- Rent is $883/mo (when split is an AWESOME price)
- fixed utilities $140/mo

Let me know if you're interested! This place is close to school and most units have already been claimed.

pjo

Postby pjo » Wed May 11, 2011 3:22 pm

Have you guys accepted/declined your loan amounts on SIS yet? Is there a deadline for doing that?

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Wed May 11, 2011 3:25 pm

pjo wrote:Have you guys accepted/declined your loan amounts on SIS yet? Is there a deadline for doing that?

I have. I don't know.

Parthus

Postby Parthus » Wed May 11, 2011 3:43 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
pjo wrote:Have you guys accepted/declined your loan amounts on SIS yet? Is there a deadline for doing that?

I have. I don't know.

There is a deadline. It's usually in late July or early august. You will have to also sign your Master Promissory Notes.

Parthus

Postby Parthus » Wed May 11, 2011 3:47 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
alirod12 wrote:

That's true for pretty much anything within walking distance of the school.

Agreed. Let me know if you're still looking for something and don't mind a 2 minute drive to school.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed May 11, 2011 5:40 pm

Kohinoor wrote:They're definitely not ghetto in the sense of being dangerous. They're ghetto in the sense of "If I'm willing to move 2 miles away, I could have a pool and dishwasher for this price."

The Jeffersonian has dishwashers and a pool, right?

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Wed May 11, 2011 5:41 pm

what about uheights?

Is there a shuttle that goes from the apartment to the law school? or any bus?

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed May 11, 2011 5:46 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:what about uheights?

Is there a shuttle that goes from the apartment to the law school? or any bus?

They have a shuttle, but it seems to be pretty worthless for a law student. I think it drops you off somewhere else on campus and then you have to take another shuttle to the law school. I think the walk is like a mile or so though so that's not an absurd distance that I'm guessing would probably be preferable to taking a shuttle in most situations (I'm assuming the shuttle question had to do with not wanting to drive)

Also, Uheights has been described as "hood" by some of the current students. I can't comment one way or another on that.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed May 11, 2011 7:09 pm

Not to mention you could also have wireless, gym facilities,bball courts,internet cafe with free color printing, hbo, newer rooms, your own walk in closet all for the same price if not lower. I couldn't believe the difference in quality between the "near campus" housing and the "ten minute drive away" housing. I for one will be driving to school.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed May 11, 2011 7:36 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:

Not to mention you could also have wireless, gym facilities,bball courts,internet cafe with free color printing, hbo, newer rooms, your own walk in closet all for the same price if not lower. I couldn't believe the difference in quality between the "near campus" housing and the "ten minute drive away" housing. I for one will be driving to school.

1. Wake up 5 minutes before class.
2. Do the dougie for 3 minutes.
3. Arrive at class 2 minutes late.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed May 11, 2011 7:50 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:

Maybe I was looking at the wrong places, but I never seemed to find anything that nice that was as cheap or cheaper than the Jeffersonian (much less a place that was pet friendly). Where can you score an ~800 sq. ft. 2BR for $810 a month that's really nice?

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed May 11, 2011 8:20 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:

Maybe I was looking at the wrong places, but I never seemed to find anything that nice that was as cheap or cheaper than the Jeffersonian (much less a place that was pet friendly). Where can you score an ~800 sq. ft. 2BR for $810 a month that's really nice?

Eagles Landing and University Place would be some examples. The only "downside" is that they seem to have more undergraduates than most would prefer. Personally I don't think it is that big of deal since I am coming straight out of undergrad so I'm used to it and I plan on doing most of my studying at the law school. Even with that said, neither of those places seemed like they were loud or obnoxious.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”