UVA Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
neonx

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby neonx » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:51 pm

I'm sorry, but I can't seem to be able to find the FB group for UVA C/O 2014. Help, please?

yale2011

Postby yale2011 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:56 pm

Last edited by yale2011 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pjo

Postby pjo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:48 pm

Anyone still want to try for a UVA/TLS meet up Friday night? I know there was some discussion a week ago about a possible meet up at a bar but nothing was really decided.

zephyr36

Postby zephyr36 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:03 pm

So I've pretty much decided that I will be at UVA next fall, but I won't be able to attend either of the ASWs because of work conflicts. Is anyone else in a similar situation? How are you handling housing without going to ASWs? I was thinking of taking a weekend trip to C'ville around May to try and lock something up.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:06 pm

zephyr36 wrote:So I've pretty much decided that I will be at UVA next fall, but I won't be able to attend either of the ASWs because of work conflicts. Is anyone else in a similar situation? How are you handling housing without going to ASWs? I was thinking of taking a weekend trip to C'ville around May to try and lock something up.

See you in the fall.

kelc213

Postby kelc213 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:47 am

pjo wrote:Anyone still want to try for a UVA/TLS meet up Friday night? I know there was some discussion a week ago about a possible meet up at a bar but nothing was really decided.

Yeah I tried to throw something out there about it on the UVA ASW thread but there were no takers...

alex_cryp

Postby alex_cryp » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:53 am

kelc213 wrote:
pjo wrote:Anyone still want to try for a UVA/TLS meet up Friday night? I know there was some discussion a week ago about a possible meet up at a bar but nothing was really decided.

Yeah I tried to throw something out there about it on the UVA ASW thread but there were no takers...

I would be up for hanging out.

kayakinglaw

Postby kayakinglaw » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:10 am

alex_cryp wrote:
kelc213 wrote:

I would be down to hang out as well.

pjo

Postby pjo » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:31 pm

kayakinglaw wrote:
alex_cryp wrote:
kelc213 wrote:

I would be down to hang out as well.

kelc, what was the name of that bar you initially suggested?

kelc213

Postby kelc213 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:07 pm

pjo wrote:

Someone said the mellow mushroom was good for happy hour/earlier drinking, the other bars are more later in the night (trinity was one of them) so i guess it depends when we're talking...

alex_cryp

Postby alex_cryp » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:30 pm

For those of you waiting for an apartment at the Jeffersonian, thought you might want to know where they are on the list. I was 21st for a two bedroom, furnished starting June 1st. Just accepted.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:36 pm

kelc213 wrote:
pjo wrote:

Someone said the mellow mushroom was good for happy hour/earlier drinking, the other bars are more later in the night (trinity was one of them) so i guess it depends when we're talking...

don't go to the virginian if you plan on bringing a large group. biltmore was fun IMO. both late night places :)

kelc213

Postby kelc213 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:56 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
kelc213 wrote:
pjo wrote:

don't go to the virginian if you plan on bringing a large group. biltmore was fun IMO. both late night places :)

is biltmore on/in "the corner"?

arism87

Postby arism87 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:25 pm

kelc213 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
kelc213 wrote:
pjo wrote:

Yeah, but not directly on University Ave, it's down Elliewood (kind of an alley off the main street?)

(Oh, and "on" :D) I hope the weather's nice for you!

pjo

Postby pjo » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:41 pm

arism87 wrote:
kelc213 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
kelc213 wrote:Someone said the mellow mushroom was good for happy hour/earlier drinking, the other bars are more later in the night (trinity was one of them) so i guess it depends when we're talking...

Yeah, but not directly on University Ave, it's down Elliewood (kind of an alley off the main street?)

(Oh, and "on" :D) I hope the weather's nice for you!

How do you guys know the area so well? I'll be lucky if I can find Arlington Blvd lol. My plans for finding the meet-up bar are google + my car's GPS.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:43 pm

pjo wrote:How do you guys know the area so well? I'll be lucky if I can find Arlington Blvd lol. My plans for finding the meet-up bar are google + my car's GPS.

lol I went there for UG- it's really not that big!

Though to be fair, I got TOTALLY lost multiple times back where the law school is, haha. And that's WITH my gps.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:43 pm

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:45 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
arism87 wrote:
pjo wrote:How do you guys know the area so well? I'll be lucky if I can find Arlington Blvd lol. My plans for finding the meet-up bar are google + my car's GPS.

Though to be fair, I got TOTALLY lost multiple times back where the law school is, haha. And that's WITH my gps.

:|

:wink:

Me too. But that's because I neglected to update my map file for a few years.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:46 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
arism87 wrote:

Lol, it was embarrassingly bad. I was on foot though, GPS is more difficult to use on foot.. right? :oops:

kelc213

Postby kelc213 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:24 pm

arism87 wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
arism87 wrote:

Lol, it was embarrassingly bad. I was on foot though, GPS is more difficult to use on foot.. right? :oops:

haha, GPS is definitely more difficult on foot since its probably not refreshing at quite the speed you were walking... maybe?

I've been down to UVA twice now so I have a rudimentary sense of where the important things are (bars > school > ivy gardens > downtown mall > monticello) plus I'm kind of a geek for maps...

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:23 am

Has anyone set up their @UVA email address? Must you pay both deposits before you're able to?

WVUCelticFan

Postby WVUCelticFan » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:46 am

LLB2JD wrote:Has anyone set up their @UVA email address? Must you pay both deposits before you're able to?

You have to wait 72 hours after you pay your first deposit.

Heat

Postby Heat » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:19 pm

I was gonna quote about a million posts above this but it wouldn't let me.

My phone (Google Maps) has a GPS setting for when your walking. It works pretty well. I can't remember if it was updated when I was walking around UVA though. The law campus isn't really large enough to get too lost, haha.

R.R. Raskolnikov

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:52 pm

If any current 2Ls or 3Ls could provide some insight on this it would be extremely helpful...

I was at ASW over the weekend and was very impressed with the presentations by the public sector and clerkships advisors. I want to practice in DC and I have a strong interest in clerking and pursuing federal government work. Are the experiences and connections that UVA boasts in the DC area that tangible that it provides a significant leg up on peer school competitors?

I know DC biglaw is extremely competitive regardless of where you go to school, but I'm wondering if UVA has unique advantages for clerking and the federal gov't (the public sector advisor literally said "UVA owns DOJ"). I just want to know if that is all talk or if it is born out in what people experience when they go through the hiring process.

Many thanks.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:42 pm

R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:If any current 2Ls or 3Ls could provide some insight on this it would be extremely helpful...

I was at ASW over the weekend and was very impressed with the presentations by the public sector and clerkships advisors. I want to practice in DC and I have a strong interest in clerking and pursuing federal government work. Are the experiences and connections that UVA boasts in the DC area that tangible that it provides a significant leg up on peer school competitors?

I know DC biglaw is extremely competitive regardless of where you go to school, but I'm wondering if UVA has unique advantages for clerking and the federal gov't (the public sector advisor literally said "UVA owns DOJ"). I just want to know if that is all talk or if it is born out in what people experience when they go through the hiring process.

Many thanks.

post this in the UVA 2L taking qs thread (if you haven't already)

never mind - i see that you did!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”