UVA Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
LLB2JD

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:33 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
pjo wrote:At this point if I don't get into the Jeffersonian I'm considering just living out of my car. Or in a tent at a campground. Basically anything to bring down that 70k COA.

My folks seriously made an offer to fix up and lend their camper/trailer to live in and were perplexed when I said "Naw I'm good."

So, are you rethinking the offer?

bwana73

Postby bwana73 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:36 pm

I gave up NYU last year and deferred so I could go to UVA. After looking at my disappointing financial aid package and hearing about all the scholarship money other students who deferred received, I have realized that I got worked. Not only did I not receive any scholarship money, but I'll have the additional costs of the tuition increases…. Not feeling so good about my decision right now

pjo

Postby pjo » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:41 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
pjo wrote:At this point if I don't get into the Jeffersonian I'm considering just living out of my car. Or in a tent at a campground. Basically anything to bring down that 70k COA.

My folks seriously made an offer to fix up and lend their camper/trailer to live in and were perplexed when I said "Naw I'm good."

I said that jokingly but to be honest if someone presented me with an offer to do something like that I would definitely consider it. Back in college my friend and I were the very last people to be accepted off the waitlist for on campus apartments. If we didn't get in we were legitimately going to split the cost of a beat up RV and live out of it our senior year. Luckily it didn't come to that but when you actually think about it you probably spend very little time at home, it's basically just some place to sleep and make meals. We planned on hanging out around campus and showering at the gym. We'll see how much tutition goes up 2L, might not be able to rule this out yet.

turkeysub

Postby turkeysub » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:42 pm

Are you guys seeing these financial aid awards on the SIS thing? I'm looking and don't see anything...did they send you guys an email or anything?

Also still waiting for Jeffersonian.

:(

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:43 pm

turkeysub wrote:Are you guys seeing these financial aid awards on the SIS thing? I'm looking and don't see anything...did they send you guys an email or anything?

Yes we get an email saying the info is ready on SIS

turkeysub

Postby turkeysub » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:46 pm

r6_philly wrote:
turkeysub wrote:Are you guys seeing these financial aid awards on the SIS thing? I'm looking and don't see anything...did they send you guys an email or anything?

Yes we get an email saying the info is ready on SIS

Cool, thanks!

esq

Postby esq » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:53 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:

Nice. You think I could take them up on that offer?

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:04 pm

esq wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:

Nice. You think I we could take them up on that offer?

+1

Edit: Fixed

esq

Postby esq » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:09 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
esq wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:

Nice. You think I we could take them up on that offer?

+1

I get top bunk.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:19 pm

esq wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:
+1

I get top bunk.

That's cool with me.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:28 pm

Haha. I'll run it by them.

Yeah, those amounts are pretty scary.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:31 pm

I haven't received the email yet, but I already know I'll be paying sticker; Except I'm in for a surprise.

Malcolm8X

Postby Malcolm8X » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:47 pm

LLB2JD wrote:I haven't received the email yet, but I already know I'll be paying sticker; Except I'm in for a surprise.

Yeaaa... Most likely but I hope for anybody's sake that they get SOME aid outside of loans. The only consolation was that I received a few thousand in subsidized loans, which is semi-awesome considering I thought I maxed those out in undergrad.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:59 pm

Two things to consider for those saddened by the loans/money situation:

1. It sucks to have 200K in loans but it's not like you're substantially better off if they gave you money and you only had say 120K in loans. It's not likely your future will be altered much by which figure you owe. Either way, if you make BigLaw you'll rack up some cash and pay it off in 5-10 years, and if you don't make BigLaw, you'll be scrambling in some sense or doing LRAP. I'm not saying it doesn't suck to pay 80K more + interest but in the long run, you'll end up in approximately the same position so don't sweat it.

2. UVA is a lot of fun. Ask pretty much any student here and they will tell you that this is an awesome place to be for 3 years of law school and so take comfort in knowing that for the next 3 years, you can think about what fun thing you're going to do that weekend, not about whether loans are breathing down your neck. So if Chicago offers you more money but you still want to go to UVA, consider it a fun premium and take on the debt because the money you save at Chicago or wherever won't be able to buy you the experience of being a student here in the future. I personally turned down more money from Duke and a full scholarship from UCLA to be here and I don't regret the decision at all despite the extra debt and bad economy. That said, UVA is mostly a self-selecting crowd so if you're not sold at ASW, figure out where the best place for you would be, but don't make an important life decision for long run insubstantial amounts of money or minor differences in US news rankings.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:09 pm

gladiator wrote:Two things to consider for those saddened by the loans/money situation:

1. It sucks to have 200K in loans but it's not like you're substantially better off if they gave you money and you only had say 120K in loans. It's not likely your future will be altered much by which figure you owe. Either way, if you make BigLaw you'll rack up some cash and pay it off in 5-10 years, and if you don't make BigLaw, you'll be scrambling in some sense or doing LRAP. I'm not saying it doesn't suck to pay 80K more + interest but in the long run, you'll end up in approximately the same position so don't sweat it.

2. UVA is a lot of fun. Ask pretty much any student here and they will tell you that this is an awesome place to be for 3 years of law school and so take comfort in knowing that for the next 3 years, you can think about what fun thing you're going to do that weekend, not about whether loans are breathing down your neck. So if Chicago offers you more money but you still want to go to UVA, consider it a fun premium and take on the debt because the money you save at Chicago or wherever won't be able to buy you the experience of being a student here in the future. I personally turned down more money from Duke and a full scholarship from UCLA to be here and I don't regret the decision at all despite the extra debt and bad economy. That said, UVA is mostly a self-selecting crowd so if you're not sold at ASW, figure out where the best place for you would be, but don't make an important life decision for long run insubstantial amounts of money or minor differences in US news rankings.

Well said. I feel better already. But could you help me tell financial aid to LLB2JD is anxious about his package? The wait is excruciating.

Thanks

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:30 pm

who's excited for this weekend????? :) :)

me me!

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:50 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:who's excited for this weekend????? :) :)

me me!

My financial aid e-mail has made me a little less excited, but I am excited nonetheless.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:00 pm

me me!

me2 me2

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:00 pm

Guys, the more I think about sticker at UVA, knowing that I have no interest in biglaw, and that LARP is not guaranteed, the less I know what to do. I'm getting sick to my stomach.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:05 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:

me me!

My financial aid e-mail has made me a little less excited, but I am excited nonetheless.

lol. tell me about it :(

r6_philly wrote:

me me!

me2 me2

:) :)

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:07 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:Guys, the more I think about sticker at UVA, knowing that I have no interest in biglaw, and that LARP is not guaranteed, the less I know what to do. I'm getting sick to my stomach.

Hmmm...I am feeling the opposite way. The more I think sticker, the more I have interest in Biglaw.

esq

Postby esq » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:08 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:Guys, the more I think about sticker at UVA, knowing that I have no interest in biglaw, and that LARP is not guaranteed, the less I know what to do. I'm getting sick to my stomach.

The schools got a pretty good LRAP compared to other schools, though, and the possibility of landing significant PI work through UVA is very good too - so if you think about it, UVA actually gives you one of the best shakes if your interests are outside of big law. And worst case scenario, you're making 50,000 a year - with your earnings going up - and paying 20,000 in loans. 30,000 is livable, not extravagant, but you won't starve. And you will be doing something that makes you happy in the long term, that's how I look at it at least.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:11 pm

LLB2JD wrote:

Hmmm...I am feeling the opposite way. The more I think sticker, the more I have interest in Biglaw.

i think the logic here is a bit flawed, but ok

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:14 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:

Could you expand on that please?

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:17 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:

Could you expand on that please?

i'm just giving you a bad time :P SMM didn't say that he was getting less and less interested in biglaw the more he thought about paying sticker. he just said that he had no interest in biglaw, and that the more he thought about paying sticker the less he wanted to go to UVA all things (biglaw non-interest) considered.

i digress. :)

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”