UVA Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
sundance95

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby sundance95 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:33 pm

Man, this is definitely freaking me out. My only real consolation is how much worse this budget would look if I were going to school in Philly or NYC...

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:34 pm

sundance95 wrote:Man, this is definitely freaking me out. My only real consolation is how much worse this budget would look if I were going to school in Philly or NYC...

Penn's budget is projected to be 70k.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:36 pm

FWIW, several UVA students in this forum at various times have said they didn't even come close to needing the amount of money in the budget.

esq

Postby esq » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:36 pm

Does anyone know if by a preliminary review of financial aid, they mean that they are still looking into who will get merit/need based scholarships, or is this typically the last stop for financial aid decisions?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:41 pm

esq wrote:Does anyone know if by a preliminary review of financial aid, they mean that they are still looking into who will get merit/need based scholarships, or is this typically the last stop for financial aid decisions?

I think they have to verify your financial info after you deposit, like sending in your tax forms and such. Most of my packages say the same.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:44 pm

esq wrote:Does anyone know if by a preliminary review of financial aid, they mean that they are still looking into who will get merit/need based scholarships, or is this typically the last stop for financial aid decisions?

From what I've gathered (quick conversations with both the Financial Aid and Admissions offices), this is the offer.

Malcolm8X

Postby Malcolm8X » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:44 pm

arism87 wrote:FWIW, several UVA students in this forum at various times have said they didn't even come close to needing the amount of money in the budget.

Js got my package :cry: . I'm sure we don't need the whole $70K. I'm going to try and cut it down to $60K. Hopefully $58K. As little loans as possible.

esq

Postby esq » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:45 pm

Well . . . Indentured servitude here I come!

quetzal_bird

Postby quetzal_bird » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:50 pm

I don't completely understand. UVA has refused to negotiate with any merit aid with me. I sent Trujillo an e-mail with my scholarship award from Chicago attached, and I got an email back telling me UVA won't match it because its cheaper to live in C'ville and travel is less costly. But the 70K packet is on par with Chicago's. Should I stop any discussion of merit aid with UVA at this point or keep trying? I'm not going to UVA if they can't at least match Chicago and I feel like I made that clear in my email

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:52 pm

r6_philly wrote:Does everyone have a $70k budget? If so then tuition went up? I will need to ask them to bump my budget for family expenses then.

Wow over $125k in loans even with a large scholarship. slightly scared for a brief moment.

I'm guessing tuition went up--it went up by $2,000 last year, so a $3,000 increase is possible this year I guess.

OrdinarilySkilled

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:53 pm

Academic scholarship is merit based I assume? Mine includes one but I haven't been notified of anything. Nice surprise that suddenly swings my decision way in UVAs favor.

Malcolm8X

Postby Malcolm8X » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:56 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Does everyone have a $70k budget? If so then tuition went up? I will need to ask them to bump my budget for family expenses then.

Wow over $125k in loans even with a large scholarship. slightly scared for a brief moment.

I'm guessing tuition went up--it went up by $2,000 last year, so a $3,000 increase is possible this year I guess.

I'm sure tuition went up, but jeez, I hope not by $3K!

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:57 pm

quetzal_bird wrote:I don't completely understand. UVA has refused to negotiate with any merit aid with me. I sent Trujillo an e-mail with my scholarship award from Chicago attached, and I got an email back telling me UVA won't match it because its cheaper to live in C'ville and travel is less costly. But the 70K packet is on par with Chicago's. Should I stop any discussion of merit aid with UVA at this point or keep trying? I'm not going to UVA if they can't at least match Chicago and I feel like I made that clear in my email

I was really kinda hoping that they would match my Michigan offer. They don't have the excuse of cost of living difference between Charlottesville and Ann Arbor.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:00 pm

OrdinarilySkilled wrote:Academic scholarship is merit based I assume? Mine includes one but I haven't been notified of anything. Nice surprise that suddenly swings my decision way in UVAs favor.

Congrats. Mind sharing your gpa range and $$ amount? Curious to see who gets these second wave scholarships.

quetzal_bird

Postby quetzal_bird » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:01 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
quetzal_bird wrote:I don't completely understand. UVA has refused to negotiate with any merit aid with me. I sent Trujillo an e-mail with my scholarship award from Chicago attached, and I got an email back telling me UVA won't match it because its cheaper to live in C'ville and travel is less costly. But the 70K packet is on par with Chicago's. Should I stop any discussion of merit aid with UVA at this point or keep trying? I'm not going to UVA if they can't at least match Chicago and I feel like I made that clear in my email

I was really kinda hoping that they would match my Michigan offer. They don't have the excuse of cost of living difference between Charlottesville and Ann Arbor.

Its not even that they won't match, its just that I've sent 2 emails about aid - both of them polite - to UVA and each answer has been flippant and condescending. This is a 200K decision and they aren't giving me any useful information in order to make it. Its completely turned me off the school, and UVA was my top choice

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:02 pm

r6_philly wrote:
sundance95 wrote:Man, this is definitely freaking me out. My only real consolation is how much worse this budget would look if I were going to school in Philly or NYC...

Then either this will be more than enough (as arism pointed out) for UVA or Penn's is going to feel very tight. Likely somewhere in between. There's just no way that C'ville is going to be as expensive as Philly.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:02 pm

Malcolm8X wrote:
arism87 wrote:FWIW, several UVA students in this forum at various times have said they didn't even come close to needing the amount of money in the budget.

Js got my package :cry: . I'm sure we don't need the whole $70K. I'm going to try and cut it down to $60K. Hopefully $58K. As little loans as possible.

You don't have to ask all the loans to be disbursed if you don't need it. You can just reduce the amount prior to disbursement. This budget only shows your eligibility to borrow.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:04 pm

If one requests less then the total amount available, will it be possible to later get the rest if needed? Or is it one disbursement and done?

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:04 pm

quetzal_bird wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:

Its not even that they won't match, its just that I've sent 2 emails about aid - both of them polite - to UVA and each answer has been flippant and condescending. This is a 200K decision and they aren't giving me any useful information in order to make it. Its completely turned me off the school, and UVA was my top choice

You are a better person than me. For me it is that they won't try to match or give me something. I just want to be able to make a reasonable decision that keeps me near my wife.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:04 pm

sundance95 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Then either this will be more than enough (as arism pointed out) for UVA or Penn's is going to feel very tight. Likely somewhere in between. There's just no way that C'ville is going to be as expensive as Philly.

Philly has expensive side and not so expensive side. You can certainly get away with 5-600/month housing with a roommate. But you can also easily spend 1500+/month. Food/groceries are a bit cheaper down there but it's not that bad if you don't shop on/around campus.

Edit to add: housing will actually be less for me here in my house. I only pay $1250 a month for my 3BR single house.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:06 pm

sundance95 wrote:If one requests less then the total amount available, will it be possible to later get the rest if needed? Or is it one disbursement and done?

I have not tried this, but you may want to have the larger disbursement in the Fall, and reduce it in the spring.

esq

Postby esq » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:08 pm

r6_philly wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Philly has expensive side and not so expensive side. You can certainly get away with 5-600/month housing with a roommate. But you can also easily spend 1500+/month. Food/groceries are a bit cheaper down there but it's not that bad if you don't shop on/around campus.

Edit to add: housing will actually be less for me here in my house. I only pay $1250 a month for my 3BR single house.

R6, are you still considering Penn and Cal? Or have you made up your mind on UVA?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:11 pm

esq wrote:R6, are you still considering Penn and Cal? Or have you made up your mind on UVA?

Still considering. I laid out my offers from multiple schools on spreadsheet and they all have PV within 20k of each other (still waiting on Boalt). So basically seeing the financials has been no help! I will visit and regroup. Maybe whoever wants to up the aid will get my deposit? lol They are all quality schools, I am sure I can get a wonderful education no matter which I choose, so maybe cost is back as a #1 factor.

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:12 pm

ugh, 70k in loans :(

esq

Postby esq » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:15 pm

r6_philly wrote:Still considering. I laid out my offers from multiple schools on spreadsheet and they all have PV within 20k of each other (still waiting on Boalt). So basically seeing the financials has been no help! I will visit and regroup. Maybe whoever wants to up the aid will get my deposit? lol They are all quality schools, I am sure I can get a wonderful education no matter which I choose, so maybe cost is back as a #1 factor.

Not a bad spot to be in for sure. Cal has a Wine Law focus, if that helps at all. :P

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”