UVA Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Stringer Bell

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby Stringer Bell » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:44 pm

lawschoollll wrote:So is it pretty unlikely that I would get need-based aid if they already gave me some merit-based? Or are they determined independently?

Need based aid = Loans

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:30 pm

Any advantage to buying a laptop bundle through the CAV program? I want the new mb pro, but i don't want to wait until mid-May. Will the tech store still service my computer if i buy it directly from apple?

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:30 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:So is it pretty unlikely that I would get need-based aid if they already gave me some merit-based? Or are they determined independently?

Need based aid = Loans

Gotcha

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:42 pm

For people who are going to the March ASW: are you staying in town 2 nights (T/F) or just one (T)?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:01 pm

lawschoollll wrote:For people who are going to the March ASW: are you staying in town 2 nights (T/F) or just one (T)?

I am probably going to stay only Thur. I have a class Sat afternoon so I may just leave late Friday night.

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:11 pm

luckyme wrote:Any advantage to buying a laptop bundle through the CAV program? I want the new mb pro, but i don't want to wait until mid-May. Will the tech store still service my computer if i buy it directly from apple?

R.R. Raskolnikov

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:48 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
gladiator wrote:From what I know, UVA rarely negotiates scholarships.

You're probably right, but I think there is a regular poster who said they got a small scholarship through negotiation.

FYI while you may have been referring exclusively to negotiations after a scholarship offer has already been made, negotiating before an initial offer appears to be taken into consideration. I wrote them a letter inquiring about merit scholarships before an offer was made and I received a reply encouraging me to send to admissions any other scholarships I have received from other schools that I would like them to consider.

I don't know how much of an effect that's going to have yet, but at least they are weighing the other offers.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:54 pm

lawschoollll wrote:For people who are going to the March ASW: are you staying in town 2 nights (T/F) or just one (T)?

I was at ASW last year, everything official was over by Friday afternoon/evening. If you want to go out it might be worthwhile, but I was about ready to leave by about 7pm.

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:13 am

suspicious android wrote:I was at ASW last year, everything official was over by Friday afternoon/evening. If you want to go out it might be worthwhile, but I was about ready to leave by about 7pm.

I imagine some students will wish to use the weekend to view the town and check out accommodation options, away from the official stuff on Friday.

R.R. Raskolnikov

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:08 am

albanach wrote:
suspicious android wrote:I was at ASW last year, everything official was over by Friday afternoon/evening. If you want to go out it might be worthwhile, but I was about ready to leave by about 7pm.

I imagine some students will wish to use the weekend to view the town and check out accommodation options, away from the official stuff on Friday.

That'll be me. Any recommendations for spots to see in C'ville? Also plan on checking out popular apartment locations.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:23 am

R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:Any recommendations for spots to see in C'ville? Also plan on checking out popular apartment locations.

There are some good spots to poke around:

Obligatory Monticello reference.
The downtown mall is nice to visit and it will probably be warm enough to take a stroll. There are a bunch of restaurants down there, but if you're not that hungry checkout the gelato place for a snack.
I like Belmont BBQ a lot, it's next to a place called The Local which is nice too and that I liked. I don't know that many nice restaurants in C-Ville.
My favorite restaurant in town is Beer Run. The food is very solid and it's also a bottle shop. If you like beer it's a good spot. So is Mellow Mushroom which has some good pizza.

In the apartment department go check out Ivy gardens. Most 1Ls live there. The Jeffersonian is probably booked by now. There are some various and sundry townhomes on Arlington you may want to check out. Some complexes are further out if you are fine driving to school. The Woodlands is one of them and is apparently nice. I would say don't live down behind the corner. It's mostly undergrads and it seems few law students live there.

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:49 am

joeshmo39 wrote:
R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:Any recommendations for spots to see in C'ville? Also plan on checking out popular apartment locations.

There are some good spots to poke around:

Obligatory Monticello reference.
The downtown mall is nice to visit and it will probably be warm enough to take a stroll. There are a bunch of restaurants down there, but if you're not that hungry checkout the gelato place for a snack.
I like Belmont BBQ a lot, it's next to a place called The Local which is nice too and that I liked. I don't know that many nice restaurants in C-Ville.
My favorite restaurant in town is Beer Run. The food is very solid and it's also a bottle shop. If you like beer it's a good spot. So is Mellow Mushroom which has some good pizza.

In the apartment department go check out Ivy gardens. Most 1Ls live there. The Jeffersonian is probably booked by now. There are some various and sundry townhomes on Arlington you may want to check out. Some complexes are further out if you are fine driving to school. The Woodlands is one of them and is apparently nice. I would say don't live down behind the corner. It's mostly undergrads and it seems few law students live there.

Thanks for the info dude. So most 1Ls live in the Jeffersonian or Ivy gardens? Do you know of any cheaper places (I will have a car most likely)? Trying to use savings to pay for CoL 1L.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:13 pm

lawschoollll wrote:Thanks for the info dude. So most 1Ls live in the Jeffersonian or Ivy gardens? Do you know of any cheaper places (I will have a car most likely)? Trying to use savings to pay for CoL 1L.

I live in Condos in a place called "Hessian Hills." I live in the den essentially but it's plenty of room for a bed and desk. I pay less than 400 a month, rent and utilities. I live about a 15-20 minute walk from the school but driving is like 5 minutes. Most 1Ls do live in Jeffersonian and Ivy Gardens.

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:18 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:Thanks for the info dude. So most 1Ls live in the Jeffersonian or Ivy gardens? Do you know of any cheaper places (I will have a car most likely)? Trying to use savings to pay for CoL 1L.

I live in Condos in a place called "Hessian Hills." I live in the den essentially but it's plenty of room for a bed and desk. I pay less than 400 a month, rent and utilities. I live about a 15-20 minute walk from the school but driving is like 5 minutes. Most 1Ls do live in Jeffersonian and Ivy Gardens.

Do you think 1Ls miss out on things by not living in the Jeffersonian or the Gardens?

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:34 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:Do you think 1Ls miss out on things by not living in the Jeffersonian or the Gardens?

No offense man but this issue has been hashed and rehashed in this very same thread. If you scan through it you'll definitely find the info you need.

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:18 am

sundance95 wrote:
socraticmethodman wrote:Do you think 1Ls miss out on things by not living in the Jeffersonian or the Gardens?

No offense man but this issue has been hashed and rehashed in this very same thread. If you scan through it you'll definitely find the info you need.

haha ya, my senioritis has expanded and now I try not do anything that requires work at all lol.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:36 am

sundance95 wrote:

Yeah this is true. I haven't weighed in on it yet so I'll at least throw in my 2 cents. I think you miss out a bit but because I live there I'm not really sure. I usually make the pregames and parties at Ivy. I don't know if people just hang out on random evenings though because I'm not really going to walk a half hour to play Madden or whatever. Maybe I'm missing out but unsure.

turkeysub

Postby turkeysub » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:46 pm

Speaking of Jeffersonian, does anyone know when I should be hearing back from them (#18)? It's March...and I'm gettin edgy lol

fouronthe4loor

Postby fouronthe4loor » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:39 pm

turkeysub wrote:Speaking of Jeffersonian, does anyone know when I should be hearing back from them (#18)? It's March...and I'm gettin edgy lol

Probably mid- to late-March... you can also email the landlord and ask - she's usually pretty quick to respond.

pobeda007

Postby pobeda007 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Hi!

For folks who are already in town, is anyone interested in a happy hour this weekend or next? They've got one going in NoVa and we're trying to do something in C'ville as well!

Postby 4102011 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:21 pm

Just signed up for the April 1 ASW!

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:26 pm

dulcatis wrote:Just signed up for the April 1 ASW!

Nice! I just booked my flight. Expensive! :shock:

Postby 4102011 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:28 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:

Yeah same. Soooo expensive! Argh. I'm getting in (barring any delays) in time for the BBQ and flying out at like 8:30 AM on Saturday...

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:29 pm

dulcatis wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:

Yeah same. Soooo expensive! Argh. I'm getting in (barring any delays) in time for the BBQ and flying out at like 8:30 AM on Saturday...

I'll get in at noon the day before (Thursday) and will leave Sunday night. Sleeping on my 1L friend's couch FTW. Gonna tour the town and visit the Jeffersonian and just go exploring, haha.

quetzal_bird

Postby quetzal_bird » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:34 pm

hey all, does anyone have experience negotiating with uva who would be willing to PM me with some advice? I've opened up negotiating but I'm not sure if I am being effective/jumping the gun with them

thanks!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”