UVA Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
billyez

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby billyez » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:30 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
billyez wrote:Besides the weirdness which was Caligula, I'd agree that it's worth it to attend at least a couple of Feb Club parties. However, in one of the rare instances in which I would disagree with jawsthegreat, I will have to say that Feb Club is...a tad overrated. Fun? Yes. Epic? Meh...we'll have to see the rest of the month first.

Also, I'm going to state again for the record how awesome the Public Service Center folks are here. I'm more than just a little sure that I've already posted something to this effect before and it's odd that I'm talking like this when, you know, I'm still looking for an internship. But I'll post it again, because it's true and I happen to be riding one of my public service highs right now. Some of you 2014er's better use these folks to the utmost...just, don't forget about your scheduled interviews...

Care to elaborate a bit on why they're so awesome? Interested as a potential PIer.

I knew from my visit here that these folks were really invested in the people who came to them who were interested in public interest, but the amount of help they're willing to give you and the passion that these folks I've talked to have for the work is really something. I mean, you can't expect them to hand you jobs or anything like that, but if you come in there with an idea of what you want to do, they'll help you come up with a real plan for how to get there. They were also pretty goshdarned proactive in my case - contact regarding where I should apply and certain opportunities they knew I would be interested in didn't end after I left their office. I just genuinely felt that these folks were going above and beyond to find me the job that I wanted.

Granted, I can't compare this to other law schools - maybe this is standard practice. Maybe I'm easily satisfied (wouldn't be the first time this is the case). But in my case, there's really nothing more I could have asked from them. To some degree though, this can't just be my rose-colored view of people at work; there's got to be a reason why it's been so hard for me to find a 2L or 3L who was dissatisfied with their experience with the PSC. Some are out there, certainly, and I've even met a couple, but the consensus clearly cuts the other way.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:32 am

Anyone know how strict UVA is with LRAP for people doing federal government jobs that don't require passing the bar?

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:18 pm

suspicious android wrote:Anyone know how strict UVA is with LRAP for people doing federal government jobs that don't require passing the bar?

good question. bump

inmans

Postby inmans » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:41 pm

Alright... I've been a little lazy in my effort towards shoring up my living situation... considering proximity to the law school as being the most important factor in my decision making process, what are the best available options?
Last edited by inmans on Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:42 pm

inmans wrote:Alright... I've been a little lazy in my efforts towards shoring up my living situation... considering proximity to the law school as being the most important factor in my decision making process, what are the best available options?

From what I hear anything on Arlington Blvd. or Ivy Gardens would be best.

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:43 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
inmans wrote:Alright... I've been a little lazy in my efforts towards shoring up my living situation... considering proximity to the law school as being the most important factor in my decision making process, what are the best available options?

search "Ivy Gardens" for some scathing reviews

inmans

Postby inmans » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:45 pm

On a related note, what method has been the most successful in finding roommates (excluding personal ads on facebook)?

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:50 pm

inmans wrote:On a related note, what method has been the most successful in finding roommates (excluding personal ads on facebook)?

lots of people are posting in the facebook group (UVA Law 2014 if you haven't joined)

lol, i guess i missed the personal ads on facebook part. WOW
Last edited by paulinaporizkova on Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billyez

Postby billyez » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:05 pm

For those folks asking about the LRAP...why don't you just look it up? I could have sworn that I read it somewhere before I even applied - although, I did read a lot of them...I might be wrong. Heck, why don't you just send something to Hulvey about it if your really concerned?

luckyme wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:

search "Ivy Gardens" for some scathing reviews

Can I dissent from all the Ivy hate? It's true that I've heard of some issues with management, but nothing to the degree that folks have said here.

Granted, I don't live there

pjo

Postby pjo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:02 pm

This is probably going to sound dumb but I'm new to the financial aid etc. On UVa's tuition/fees page it lists "loan fees" as $1200/yr. Could someone explain to me what this accounts for? Thanks. Also, does anyone have a guess at how much tuition will be for next year?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:07 pm

pjo wrote:This is probably going to sound dumb but I'm new to the financial aid etc. On UVa's tuition/fees page it lists "loan fees" as $1200/yr. Could someone explain to me what this accounts for? Thanks. Also, does anyone have a guess at how much tuition will be for next year?

That's just the standard budget. They are presuming if you take out $55000 in loans, and pay 2% origination fee, it wold be $1100. Or 2% at $60k for 1200. The fees for Stafford and PLUS may be different so it may be more or less.

pjo

Postby pjo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:15 pm

r6_philly wrote:
pjo wrote:This is probably going to sound dumb but I'm new to the financial aid etc. On UVa's tuition/fees page it lists "loan fees" as $1200/yr. Could someone explain to me what this accounts for? Thanks. Also, does anyone have a guess at how much tuition will be for next year?

That's just the standard budget. They are presuming if you take out $55000 in loans, and pay 2% origination fee, it wold be $1100. Or 2% at $60k for 1200. The fees for Stafford and PLUS may be different so it may be more or less.

So would I have to pay that up-front when I take out the loan (like the same time I would pay my first semester tuition)?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:18 pm

pjo wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

So would I have to pay that up-front when I take out the loan (like the same time I would pay may first semester tuition)?

They take it out of the loan disbursement. So if you sign the Master Promissory Note for $60,000, they will deliver $58800 to your account. So If you really need the $60000, you need to borrow $61250 to cover the fees.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:31 am

billyez wrote:For those folks asking about the LRAP...why don't you just look it up? I could have sworn that I read it somewhere before I even applied - although, I did read a lot of them...I might be wrong. Heck, why don't you just send something to Hulvey about it if your really concerned?

I actually did look it up, it's just a very vague, basically a job in public service that is paid and requires legal skills. The interpretation of that last bit is what I was wondering about. I don't know who Hurley is, but I figured I'd just get a link to the .pdf if I e-mailed UVA. Anyway, I'll ask at ASW if no one has any experience about people being able to use LRAP for jobs that don't require one to be a lawyer. I'm guessing it's probably not common.

kelc213

Postby kelc213 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:48 pm

I'm leaning towards attending the March ASW... looking for flights now, are people sticking around and going out Saturday night as well?

arism87

Postby arism87 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:46 pm

kelc213 wrote:I'm leaning towards attending the March ASW... looking for flights now, are people sticking around and going out Saturday night as well?

I am!

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

My apartment is being showed constantly so I assume it's on the market right now. It is literally on Arlington, 0.2 miles from the law school (yes I googlemapped it)! Who wants it?

ZiggyPink

Postby ZiggyPink » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:24 pm

I know there has been a ton of discussion about Ivy Gardens but after reading everything, I still don't know whether I should pull the trigger and put down the deposit for them or not.

I probably won't be having a car, and proximity to the law school is pretty much the primary concern for me. I dealt with horrible landlords during my undergrad, and i know they really make the living experience much worse. Is the Ivy Gardens management as bad as some of the reviews say? Are the apartments outdated and worn out? Overall, would it be hard for me to find a place to live next to the law school without having to physically come down to VA and see it/sign the lease?

Any input would be appreciated.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:36 pm

ZiggyPink wrote:I know there has been a ton of discussion about Ivy Gardens but after reading everything, I still don't know whether I should pull the trigger and put down the deposit for them or not.

I probably won't be having a car, and proximity to the law school is pretty much the primary concern for me. I dealt with horrible landlords during my undergrad, and i know they really make the living experience much worse. Is the Ivy Gardens management as bad as some of the reviews say? Are the apartments outdated and worn out? Overall, would it be hard for me to find a place to live next to the law school without having to physically come down to VA and see it/sign the lease?

Are you coming to ASW? I can't imagine signing a lease sight unseen, unless there is absolutely no other way, I'd wait. You should figure out your car situation, by the way. If you don't have a car, you really need to be close, or have reliable roommates who will help you out. Public transportation in Cville is good for a small town, but not good enough to rely on, in my opinion.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:50 pm

ZiggyPink wrote:I know there has been a ton of discussion about Ivy Gardens but after reading everything, I still don't know whether I should pull the trigger and put down the deposit for them or not.

I'd probably do many of the places on Arlington first. My buddy enjoys living at the Grad Centre there and he recommends it. The only thing he doesn't like is the cost (I think it's like 600 or so a month.) But he has his own bathroom and his roommates are cool and the if something breaks the landlord fixes it.

ZiggyPink

Postby ZiggyPink » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:29 pm

Thx for the replies and suggestions.

Yeah, I am going to the April ASW, but I am not sure how many places I will be able to see considering I will only be there for two nights and I want to spend the majority of the time at the law school and meeting people. But I do think it would be a smart idea to schedule a couple of apartment showings if I don't sign anything by that time.

ZiggyPink

Postby ZiggyPink » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:02 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:

I'd probably do many of the places on Arlington first. My buddy enjoys living at the Grad Centre there and he recommends it. The only thing he doesn't like is the cost (I think it's like 600 or so a month.) But he has his own bathroom and his roommates are cool and the if something breaks the landlord fixes it.

This place looks perfect for me, at least on first glance. I gave them a call and everything seems fairly reasonable. Has anybody else heard anything about this place?

billyez

Postby billyez » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:24 am

It's not bad at all. But as I believe has been noted before, this really depends on whether you get along with your roommates.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:46 am

Grad Centre is overpriced for what it is. However, if you're too cheap to go for a place in Ivy (or one of the condos on Arlington, for that matter) and you don't get into the Jeffersonian, then it is one of the only options within reasonable walking distance.

If anyone is interested in living like an adult and doesn't mind a one mile commute, my place will be on the market. PM me for details.

ZiggyPink

Postby ZiggyPink » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:52 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:Grad Centre is overpriced for what it is. However, if you're too cheap to go for a place in Ivy (or one of the condos on Arlington, for that matter) and you don't get into the Jeffersonian, then it is one of the only options within reasonable walking distance.

There doesn't seem to be a consensus whether a place like Grad Centre is a better choice than Ivy. Ivy is the same price range as Grad Centre if getting a 2 bedroom, but many people seem to be dissatisfied with Ivy apartments and the management. I like that Grad Centre takes care of utilities and internet with one check, and it allows you to rent a single room and not have to worry about splitting rent/utility fees. I guess I am just going to drive down to Cville and make a decision.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”