UVA Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
thelaststraw05

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby thelaststraw05 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:19 pm

arism87 wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:Hi, was just accepted yesterday.

What is there that I should know about UVA?

Mascot: Cavaliers
Founded: 1818 by Thomas Jefferson
Conference: ACC
Colors: Orange and Navy Blue

USNWR ranking: 10
Famous for: beer, softball, and attractive undergrads ( :wink: )

Seems I maybe got off on the wrong foot.

What's housing like down in C-ville? What is life like for married students? Why orange and blue? Was whoever selected the colors colorblind?

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:43 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:Seems I maybe got off on the wrong foot.

What's housing like down in C-ville? What is life like for married students? Why orange and blue? Was whoever selected the colors colorblind?

Speaking as a 0L, housing is more affordable away from campus. Near campus appears to be where you find most law students and unsurprisingly many of the study and social activities.

Charlottesville has many nice places to live, for couples and families. Locals complain about traffic, but compared to most large cities it's pretty easy to commute from one side of the city to the other.

University Colors
Orange and blue were adopted as the University of Virginia's official athletic colors at a mass student meeting in 1888. UVa athletic teams had previously worn silver gray and cardinal red, but those colors did not stand out on muddy football fields, prompting a student movement to change them.

One of the students attending the mass meeting was Allen Potts, a star athlete who played on Virginia's first football team in 1888. Potts showed up at the meeting wearing a navy blue-and-orange scarf that he had acquired during a summer boating expedition at Oxford University. Orange and blue were chosen as the official athletic colors after one of Potts' fellow students pulled the scarf off Potts' neck and, waving it to the crowd, yelled, "How will this do?"

alex_cryp

Postby alex_cryp » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:36 pm

kelc213 wrote:Apologies for the abrupt change of subject, but are any ED admits going to either ASW?

I figured I would but Heat made me realize that most of the activities are geared for people on the fence about UVA...

Also, for those from the area, do you think its cheaper to fly into Richmond and rent a car there than into Charlottesville/Abermarle?

I'm an ED admit and I'm going. I think it will still be really useful to meet some future classmates and get more familiar with the school and the town.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:23 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:

Housing in c-ville runs the gamut of what one might expect for a small 100k population metro area. Apartments/townhouses downtown/around the law school, houses in the city/suburban neighborhoods, to farmhouses in the country. It all depends on what you want. Look earlier rather than later so that you can have more options to choose from. PM me if you want to know about specific areas (I have a pretty good knowledge of most/all of cville neighborhoods and neighborhoods in the surrounding county (albemarle)).

As far as being a married student, it all depends on what you want to do. If you want to be social and go out all the time, people are cool with that. If you have children, there is a pretty tight group of students with kids. If you want to be chill and occasionally go out (which is what I generally do), that's fine too. My only suggestion is that you try to be particularly social for the first few weeks so that you get to know your section mates.

plmls

Postby plmls » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:13 pm

Going to the Mar 18 ASW from south California, anybody knows which airport should I fly to? Is there flight to Charlottesville airport? Will it be too expensive? or Richmond airport?

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:18 pm

plmls wrote:Going to the Mar 18 ASW from south California, anybody knows which airport should I fly to? Is there flight to Charlottesville airport? Will it be too expensive? or Richmond airport?

I think Richmond is about an hour away

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:19 pm

alex_cryp wrote:I'm an ED admit and I'm going. I think it will still be really useful to meet some future classmates and get more familiar with the school and the town.

May go April 1, especially if I haven't found housing by then.

pjo

Postby pjo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:27 pm

luckyme wrote:
alex_cryp wrote:I'm an ED admit and I'm going. I think it will still be really useful to meet some future classmates and get more familiar with the school and the town.

May go April 1, especially if I haven't found housing by then.

I'm also going eventhough I'm an ED admit. I've been to the law school before but I've never actually been around the school itself or charlottesville. Plus I thinks its a decent way to meet some future classmates. If not for anything, I think it's worth it for the stipend. My trip will cost like $80 but my stipend is $250 = $170 in my pocket

arism87

Postby arism87 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:21 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:
arism87 wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:

I wasn't being sarcastic in my post! lol

And extra lulz to your comment about the colors- THEY ARE AWFUL. After awhile though, they start to seem right, I promise.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:30 pm

pjo wrote:I'm also going eventhough I'm an ED admit. I've been to the law school before but I've never actually been around the school itself or charlottesville. Plus I thinks its a decent way to meet some future classmates. If not for anything, I think it's worth it for the stipend. My trip will cost like $80 but my stipend is $250 = $170 in my pocket

That's a good plan and the one that I opted for last year. It's good to meet people, ton of free food and booze, and if you come the weekend of the softball tourney there is that too.

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:35 pm

arism87 wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:

Does the "I go to UVA LAW" line work with the undergrads? In NY, it hasn't been of much use thus far

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:44 pm

arism87 wrote:And extra lulz to your comment about the colors- THEY ARE AWFUL. After awhile though, they start to seem right, I promise.

I actually like the color scheme combined with the logo. I think some of the athletic uniforms and clothing with blue as the base color look pretty sharp. Now the stuff with orange as the base color is a different story.

albanach

Postby albanach » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:45 pm

icouldbuyu wrote:
Does the "I go to UVA LAW" line work with the undergrads? In NY, it hasn't been of much use thus far

Wouldn't folk say "I go to Virginia Law"? UVA Law sounds clumsy.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:47 pm

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:59 pm

arism87 wrote:And extra lulz to your comment about the colors- THEY ARE AWFUL. After awhile though, they start to seem right, I promise.

They were the same color at my undergrad. It seems that the sweatshirts were always orange as the base.

It was bad.

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:15 pm

albanach wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:

But does it work? Thus far, I've gotten various responses from people including: "why don't you go to Brooklyn Law?"

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:17 pm

icouldbuyu wrote:But does it work? Thus far, I've gotten various responses from people including: "why don't you go to Brooklyn Law?"

well why don't you :?: :?: :?: :?:

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:19 pm

luckyme wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:But does it work? Thus far, I've gotten various responses from people including: "why don't you go to Brooklyn Law?"

well why don't you :?: :?: :?: :?:

Because I'm an elitist pig as illustrated from my username.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:23 pm

icouldbuyu wrote:
albanach wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:

But does it work? Thus far, I've gotten various responses from people including: "why don't you go to Brooklyn Law?"

does it work?! i don't even bother doing anything else when i hit the town. i just wear some uva law swag and keep repeating 160k like priests repeat blessings.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:31 pm

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:47 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
dailygrind wrote:does it work?! i don't even bother doing anything else when i hit the town. i just wear some uva law swag and keep repeating 160k like priests repeat blessings.

How is that working out for you?

panties drop so fast they leave craters where they land. i'm telling you, if you just keep repeating 160k like you have tourettes, you can do no wrong.

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:55 pm

dailygrind wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
dailygrind wrote:does it work?! i don't even bother doing anything else when i hit the town. i just wear some uva law swag and keep repeating 160k like priests repeat blessings.

panties drop so fast they leave craters where they land. i'm telling you, if you just keep repeating 160k like you have tourettes, you can do no wrong.

moved to lounge.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:59 pm

luckyme wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:

moved to lounge.

See, it's funny... because they are both Mods.

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:02 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:See, it's funny... because they are both Mods.

u c wut i did there?

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:12 pm

alright, my bad, that was inappropriate. i apologize to anyone i may have offended.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”