UVA Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
billyez

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby billyez » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:23 am

Whatsawahooanyway wrote:
arism87 wrote:What if I'm GREAT at drinking and WATCHING softball.. am I good?

And if I suck at those activities? Am I doomed to a life of loneliness and misery?

I know people who are not involved in either activity and they are well integrated into the social scene. I will be honest with you though, the trouble comes in with not being comfortable with being around folks who drink at all - at least that's my perspective. That is going to have some kind of effect. Still, even folks who are like that get along perfectly fine from what I've seen.

Granted, I might be biased because I'm hyper-social, but no one should be worried about being able to acclimate themselves to UVA. You'll find people to hang out with that you enjoy being around and the social pockets that do form are rather porous. Take it easy.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:47 pm

dailygrind wrote:
arism87 wrote:I wondered how I would spend my 1,000th post until I stumbled across this gem. For your viewing pleasure:

http://www.theparkinglotmovie.com/

Movie about a parking lot in Cville..

haha, i'm actually watching that right now - 8 minute mark. seeing some themes i relate to, but nothing that feels c'ville specific to me. oh yeah, and congrats on making 4 digits!

I know this parking lot well! I was wondering why that little booth had so many stickers, looks like we have some characters on our hands.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:38 pm

I can't say that I understand the "I don't drink and I am worried about socializing" train of thought. Honestly, who cares if you drink or not? What people don't like is when the teetotalers constantly have to remind everyone else that they don't drink, and exactly why (which is always either a depressing story of alcoholism in the family or judgmental comments regarding those who do drink-neither is a party starter). Just order a ginger ale and tonic and be normal and you'll be fine. If it's a kegger or party, just grab a red solo cup and do the same.

sherpaorlawschool

Postby sherpaorlawschool » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:59 pm

sundance95 wrote:I can't say that I understand the "I don't drink and I am worried about socializing" train of thought. Honestly, who cares if you drink or not? What people don't like is when the teetotalers constantly have to remind everyone else that they don't drink, and exactly why (which is always either a depressing story of alcoholism in the family or judgmental comments regarding those who do drink-neither is a party starter). Just order a ginger ale and tonic and be normal and you'll be fine. If it's a kegger or party, just grab a red solo cup and do the same.

Agreed.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:59 pm

sherpaorlawschool wrote:
sundance95 wrote:I can't say that I understand the "I don't drink and I am worried about socializing" train of thought. Honestly, who cares if you drink or not? What people don't like is when the teetotalers constantly have to remind everyone else that they don't drink, and exactly why (which is always either a depressing story of alcoholism in the family or judgmental comments regarding those who do drink-neither is a party starter). Just order a ginger ale and tonic and be normal and you'll be fine. If it's a kegger or party, just grab a red solo cup and do the same.

Agreed.

This thread used to be so light-hearted..

Whatsawahooanyway

Postby Whatsawahooanyway » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:49 pm

Gee, I make a joke about sucking at drinking and watching softball and all of a sudden you all get your panties up in a bunch.

I actually drink moderately and I suck at watching softball because I'd much rather be playing it than watching.

The "how can you suck at drinking" response was ridiculous because obviously some people can really not drink or simply do not like it...

Do you people with 500+ posts actually have a life?

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:55 pm

Whatsawahooanyway wrote:Gee, I make a joke about sucking at drinking and watching softball and all of a sudden you all get your panties up in a bunch.

I actually drink moderately and I suck at watching softball because I'd much rather be playing it than watching.

The "how can you suck at drinking" response was ridiculous because obviously some people can really not drink or simply do not like it...

BTB!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:01 pm

Whatsawahooanyway wrote:Gee, I make a joke about sucking at drinking and watching softball and all of a sudden you all get your panties up in a bunch.

My comment was not meant to be taken the way you did. The question was essentially "what do you mean?" but said in a playful way.

Anyway, yes people with 5000+ posts actually can have a life. It takes about 30 seconds to post a post, so 15-20 posts take about 10 minutes. Add in 20 minutes for reading the posts, that's half an hour a day. It's entirely possible to have a life outside of TLS, as amazing as it sounds.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:03 pm

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:08 pm

^
I need a caption :oops:

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:10 pm

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:12 pm

YCrevolution wrote:[
"You lie!"

- Rep. Joe Wilson (R-SC) to President Barack Obama (D) at a presidential speech addressed to a joint session of Congress in Sept. 2009.

:lol:

I thought that's what that was, but wasn't 100% sure. Oh good ole SC...

Heat

Postby Heat » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:39 pm

So anyone who signed a lease in Jefferson Ridge get their apartment number yet?

I just got mine today - maybe we're neighbors!

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:49 pm

Heat wrote:So anyone who signed a lease in Jefferson Ridge get their apartment number yet?

Lucky you, at least you've got that monkey off your back. What number were you? I am 86 or something like that.

kelc213

Postby kelc213 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:21 pm

Heat wrote:So anyone who signed a lease in Jefferson Ridge get their apartment number yet?

I want to be your neighbor... someone live in Jefferson Ridge with me! I'm completely house-trained and I'm all up to date on my shots.

my SO says no warm-blooded males... only females need apply.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:02 pm

kelc213 wrote:

I want to be your neighbor... someone live in Jefferson Ridge with me! I'm completely house-trained and I'm all up to date on my shots.

me?

Heat

Postby Heat » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:04 pm

LLB2JD wrote:

Lucky you, at least you've got that monkey off your back. What number were you? I am 86 or something like that.

Wrong complex. I'm living in Jefferson Ridge not the Jeffersonian.

And kelc213, lol request a room near mine. Make it easy walking distance to ask each other questions when we're completely lost in classes.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:53 pm

Heat wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:

Wrong complex. I'm living in Jefferson Ridge not the Jeffersonian.

And kelc213, lol request a room near mine. Make it easy walking distance to ask each other questions when we're completely lost in classes.

:oops: I keep mixing them up.

Jefferson Ridge seems like one of those apartments you can't go wrong with even without visiting. The earliest I could be able to visit in April, and that is not even sure. It is a tad bit higher than my budget too.

kelc213

Postby kelc213 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:57 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
kelc213 wrote:

me?

are you committing to UVA and rejecting Minnesota's romantic advances? PM me for my vitals

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:52 pm

I want to live at Jefferson Ridge so bad! I just need to find some roommates so I can afford it lol.

becauseimaddicted

Postby becauseimaddicted » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:07 pm

So does one need a secret code to join the Official Facebook Group? I've requested to join twice and this rejection hurts worse than the skinny Harvard envelope. jk I know UVA is way better than Harvard I even paid my deposit and can offer my anemic checking account as proof.

But seriously. If this is any indication of things to come, I'm going to be one uncool 1L.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:18 pm

becauseimaddicted

Postby becauseimaddicted » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:01 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
becauseimaddicted wrote:So does one need a secret code to join the Official Facebook Group? I've requested to join twice and this rejection hurts worse than the skinny Harvard envelope. jk I know UVA is way better than Harvard I even paid my deposit and can offer my anemic checking account as proof.

But seriously. If this is any indication of things to come, I'm going to be one uncool 1L.

Maybe your Facebook name doesn't match up closely with the name on your application?

Probably. I don't use my last name on facebook because I have no interest in online socialization with my friends' parents or worse, my own family. Perhaps if I sent an addendum explaining this they could make an exception for me. I didn't realize they would be matching names to applications. That's intense. Rest assured there will be no trolls in that group.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:06 pm

becauseimaddicted wrote:
Probably. I don't use my last name on facebook because I have no interest in online socialization with my friends' parents or worse, my own family. Perhaps if I sent an addendum explaining this they could make an exception for me. I didn't realize they would be matching names to applications. That's intense. Rest assured there will be no trolls in that group.

Well I can't think of another way to ensure the request is from an admit.

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:10 pm

r6_philly wrote:
becauseimaddicted wrote:

Well I can't think of another way to ensure the request is from an admit.

Is it worth joining the site? Anything productive/informative happening?

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”