UVA Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby flyingpanda » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:53 am

Heat wrote:Wierd to see our topic not on the top of the TLS Class of 2014 Forum. Guess reg admission really started elsewhere.


UVA will have the most pages just like every other year.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby sundance95 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:54 am

What's the stock on UVA admitting any more students before the new year? I put it at 37. (out of 100)

whoknows12
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby whoknows12 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:19 am

y does uva always have most pages?

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19645
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby dailygrind » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:16 am

whoknows12 wrote:y does uva always have most pages?


i dunno how it started, but as to why it is like that now...

1) we've got more UVa attendees on here than any other school. it's been that way for years, and while i cant explain why it started, it's a self sustaining effect in that it gives you a lot of 1Ls checking up on you in this thread, which helps make it active. same thing happened in the 2013 thread.
2) i suspect the ED program at UVa is one of the most attractive EDs you can take anywhere, and that we fill up a fair bit of our class like that. once you know where you're going to school, it's a lot easier to invest your time into the thread, whereas people who have a foot in at a lot of schools will have more incentive to split their attention.

ATR
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby ATR » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:32 am

Any of you all know if you can apply ED twice in the same cycle? I ask because I'm retaking the LSAT on Saturday. If I improve my score above the 25th percentile, I may wish to ED again (GPA above median).

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby albanach » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:44 am

atresia wrote:Any of you all know if you can apply ED twice in the same cycle? I ask because I'm retaking the LSAT on Saturday. If I improve my score above the 25th percentile, I may wish to ED again (GPA above median).


This thread says you can apply twice in the same cycle:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/archives ... =5&t=99645

As long as nothing in the contract says you can't, I see nothing stopping you from applying ED twice either. Of course, you could anonymously call and ask.

Good luck on Saturday.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby sundance95 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:44 pm

dailygrind wrote:2) i suspect the ED program at UVa is one of the most attractive EDs you can take anywhere, and that we fill up a fair bit of our class like that. once you know where you're going to school, it's a lot easier to invest your time into the thread, whereas people who have a foot in at a lot of schools will have more incentive to split their attention.

This is me to a T.

tommynobody
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:13 am

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby tommynobody » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:57 pm

sundance95 wrote:What's the stock on UVA admitting any more students before the new year? I put it at 37. (out of 100)

Why so low?

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby sundance95 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:59 pm

tommynobody wrote:
sundance95 wrote:What's the stock on UVA admitting any more students before the new year? I put it at 37. (out of 100)

Why so low?


There had been a pause of about a week, the holidays were coming up, and most UVA admissions come in January according to the TLS graphs. Of course, the day after I posted this another wave came out so...yeah. :lol:

thelawyerguy
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:56 pm

Re:

Postby thelawyerguy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:54 am

.
Last edited by thelawyerguy on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bluecrab5448
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:07 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby bluecrab5448 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:01 pm

Long-time lurker here but this thread has often kept my spirits up. Got in yesterday. :lol:

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby flyingpanda » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:39 pm

If anyone has specific UVA questions, feel free to PM me. I'm never studying apparently ;) :)

User avatar
billyez
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby billyez » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:39 pm

Same here, as judging by how finals are going, I might as well not be studying.

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby jawsthegreat » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:13 pm

billyez wrote:Same here, as judging by how finals are going, I might as well not be studying.


Don't you worry billyez you are going to "flop" all over torts.

User avatar
iwanta170
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby iwanta170 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:45 pm

Hey all,

Maybe someone here can answer a few questions I have. I was waitlisted to UVa over a month ago via Early Decision. At the time, I had a 165 LSAT, VA residency, and a GPA just BARELY below their median.

This semester I earned a 4.0 and my new overall GPA will be 3.86. I'm going to send an updated transcript to LSAC as soon as possible.

I also just took the December LSAT, but I have no idea how I did. I am usually bad at predicting my score, so there's a chance my score went down but also an equal chance it went up. The games were the only section that tripped me up, but everyone's been predicting a big curve since that section was so killer. I'll see in three weeks.

What is my best chance of getting in this cycle, and do I have a decent chance? Should I send an addendum to admissions pointing out the GPA change, and if so, should I wait until I get my LSAT score? Is it really true we can do Early Decision twice in the same cycle if our numbers change?

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby 005618502 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:26 pm

Congrats to everyone who got in recently!

Heat
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby Heat » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:02 pm

iwanta170 wrote:Hey all,

Maybe someone here can answer a few questions I have. I was waitlisted to UVa over a month ago via Early Decision. At the time, I had a 165 LSAT, VA residency, and a GPA just BARELY below their median.

This semester I earned a 4.0 and my new overall GPA will be 3.86. I'm going to send an updated transcript to LSAC as soon as possible.

I also just took the December LSAT, but I have no idea how I did. I am usually bad at predicting my score, so there's a chance my score went down but also an equal chance it went up. The games were the only section that tripped me up, but everyone's been predicting a big curve since that section was so killer. I'll see in three weeks.

What is my best chance of getting in this cycle, and do I have a decent chance? Should I send an addendum to admissions pointing out the GPA change, and if so, should I wait until I get my LSAT score? Is it really true we can do Early Decision twice in the same cycle if our numbers change?


I am not trying to be cynical and I honestly don't have answer to your question. Judging by the previous posts it is viable for you to do two EDs in the same cycle. I would think a phone call to the admissions office would give you the most information. If anything it shows that your still very interested in attending UVA.

The cycnicsm that I previously mentioned was on the curve of the games. I haven't followed the current LSAT as I've been done with LSAT duty for about 6 months. Don't get your hope up about a curve though, people seem to really believe the section they took under pressure was much harder then average. That isn't usually the case, consensus of people under extreme stress having just taken an LSAT and not knowing their score is not very reliable. Good luck all the same, I'm sure you did well enough to not need any help anyway!

User avatar
billyez
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby billyez » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:55 pm

iwanta170 wrote:Hey all,

Maybe someone here can answer a few questions I have. I was waitlisted to UVa over a month ago via Early Decision. At the time, I had a 165 LSAT, VA residency, and a GPA just BARELY below their median.

This semester I earned a 4.0 and my new overall GPA will be 3.86. I'm going to send an updated transcript to LSAC as soon as possible.

I also just took the December LSAT, but I have no idea how I did. I am usually bad at predicting my score, so there's a chance my score went down but also an equal chance it went up. The games were the only section that tripped me up, but everyone's been predicting a big curve since that section was so killer. I'll see in three weeks.

What is my best chance of getting in this cycle, and do I have a decent chance? Should I send an addendum to admissions pointing out the GPA change, and if so, should I wait until I get my LSAT score? Is it really true we can do Early Decision twice in the same cycle if our numbers change?


EDIT: Geez, totally misread your post the first time, let's try again.

[Doesn't need to be here anymore]

You didn't say what your old GPA was so it's difficult to ascertian whether an addendum is necessary. My prevailing view of addendums though, is that you send them when you need to send them and no other time. If your GPA went from 3.83 to 3.86, there's not much of a point to sending an addendum. Matter of fact, I only sent mine to explain my grades, not to inform them of a change in my grades. They'll see your grades and they'll know that there's been a change.

Also, I ask that those of you who have better recollections than mine to correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't LSAC just forward any new LSAT scores or changes in your transcript that you send them immediately to the schools that you've applied to? If so, isn't this posters question moot because they'll just forward the new LSAT score automatically?

P.S. The above poster is correct in regards to trying to figure out the curve by listening to folks discuss their mere perception of how they did. No body knows how they really did and certainly aren't capable of finding out whether the rest of the population that took the test also had a difficult time with a particular question or section. Take it easy (difficult under the circumstances, I know) and just wait.
Last edited by billyez on Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
iwanta170
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby iwanta170 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:42 pm

Heat wrote:I am not trying to be cynical and I honestly don't have answer to your question. Judging by the previous posts it is viable for you to do two EDs in the same cycle. I would think a phone call to the admissions office would give you the most information. If anything it shows that your still very interested in attending UVA.

The cycnicsm that I previously mentioned was on the curve of the games. I haven't followed the current LSAT as I've been done with LSAT duty for about 6 months. Don't get your hope up about a curve though, people seem to really believe the section they took under pressure was much harder then average. That isn't usually the case, consensus of people under extreme stress having just taken an LSAT and not knowing their score is not very reliable. Good luck all the same, I'm sure you did well enough to not need any help anyway!

Thanks, I actually called the admissions office earlier today. The lady assisting me did not know whether we are allowed to apply ED twice in the same cycle. She advised me to send an email to UVA Admissions and ask. Maybe I will after my grades/LSAT are in

billyez wrote:EDIT: Geez, totally misread your post the first time, let's try again.

I had a friend who got in this cycle with your LSAT score but with a 4.0 GPA. This individual was in ED and out-of-state, so, if that says anything you probably do have a good chance.

You didn't say what your old GPA was so it's difficult to ascertian whether an addendum is necessary. My prevailing view of addendums though, is that you send them when you need to send them and no other time. If your GPA went from 3.83 to 3.86, there's not much of a point to sending an addendum. Matter of fact, I only sent mine to explain my grades, not to inform them of a change in my grades. They'll see your grades and they'll know that there's been a change.

Also, I ask that those of you who have better recollections than mine to correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't LSAC just forward any new LSAT scores or changes in your transcript that you send them immediately to the schools that you've applied to? If so, isn't this posters question moot because they'll just forward the new LSAT score automatically?

P.S. The above poster is correct in regards to trying to figure out the curve by listening to folks discuss their mere perception of how they did. No body knows how they really did and certainly aren't capable of finding out whether the rest of the population that took the test also had a difficult time with a particular question or section. Take it easy (difficult under the circumstances, I know) and just wait.

Thanks. Hmm but do you think i should send a brief letter of continued interest once my grades and LSAT are updated and in that letter mention my grades/LSAT (if it improves)? UVa is my #1 choice still but I'm not sure they know that

User avatar
bostonlawchick
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby bostonlawchick » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:57 pm

can anyone tell me if your status checker changes to indicate that your ED contract has been received?

<--- went complete yesterday and is getting super antsy :lol:

User avatar
eaglemuncher
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:21 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby eaglemuncher » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:58 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:can anyone tell me if your status checker changes to indicate that your ED contract has been received?

<--- went complete yesterday and is getting super antsy :lol:



Yes it does and they will send you an email as well.....then they will send you a rejection e-mail....or at least thats what happened to me

User avatar
billyez
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby billyez » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:04 am

iwanta170 wrote:
billyez wrote:EDIT: Geez, totally misread your post the first time, let's try again.

[]

You didn't say what your old GPA was so it's difficult to ascertian whether an addendum is necessary. My prevailing view of addendums though, is that you send them when you need to send them and no other time. If your GPA went from 3.83 to 3.86, there's not much of a point to sending an addendum. Matter of fact, I only sent mine to explain my grades, not to inform them of a change in my grades. They'll see your grades and they'll know that there's been a change.

Also, I ask that those of you who have better recollections than mine to correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't LSAC just forward any new LSAT scores or changes in your transcript that you send them immediately to the schools that you've applied to? If so, isn't this posters question moot because they'll just forward the new LSAT score automatically?

P.S. The above poster is correct in regards to trying to figure out the curve by listening to folks discuss their mere perception of how they did. No body knows how they really did and certainly aren't capable of finding out whether the rest of the population that took the test also had a difficult time with a particular question or section. Take it easy (difficult under the circumstances, I know) and just wait.

Thanks. Hmm but do you think i should send a brief letter of continued interest once my grades and LSAT are updated and in that letter mention my grades/LSAT (if it improves)? UVa is my #1 choice still but I'm not sure they know that


Do whatever you prefer. I don't see the problem with a LOCI mentioning an improvement in your grades and LSAT. I just don't dig the idea of sending an addendum that just notes an increase in a GPA/LSAT but has no other purpose than that.

You know...if UVA is your first choice, there's always that ol' ED form to show just how badly you want to get in. Just sayin'.
Last edited by billyez on Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
iwanta170
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby iwanta170 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:33 pm

billyez wrote:You know...if UVA is your first choice, there's always that ol' ED form to show just how badly you want to get in. Just sayin'.

Do you mean applying ED a second time? If that is allowed, I will do it once my transcript has been processed. I already applied ED in November and was waitlisted. With the fall semester now over, I'm finally above UVa's GPA median

mybrain
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby mybrain » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:34 pm

sigh....

I just got an e-mail from UVA admission office, waitlisted.
RD. applied 11/14 UR 12/5 WL 12/17

Sooooo depressed since this is the 1st 'decision-like-post-UR' e-mail I received from schools that I applied..

adt1792
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:23 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Postby adt1792 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:27 pm

just got in ED. I hear that housing in C'ville goes pretty quickly. Does anyone know where they're living next year? Where do 1L's traditionally live?




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest