UVA Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
joemoviebuff

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Post by joemoviebuff » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:47 am

Xaintes wrote:I was accepted into the classs of 2014, but I'm deferring a year so I won't be moving down to Charlottesville until summer 2012. I know there are some 3Ls that post in this thread so...

Any leads on 3Ls currently renting houses/townhouses near the law school whose contact info you could pass on to me? I'm hoping to get a head start with housing since I have a whole year to wait (sad face). I know a lot of the best places on passed on by word of mouth and never get posted, so I'm hoping someone here could help out :)

Thank you! And see all of you class of 2014 people next year!
Many people recommend getting an apartment at the Jeffersonian if you can. It's literally a 3 or 4 minute walk to the law school and quite reasonably priced (http://www.jeffersonianapartments.com). The applications open up on January 1st at midnight (I know, what a convenient time) and you want to make sure you send your email in as close to that time as possible to get a good spot on the waitlist.

Xaintes

New

Post by Xaintes » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:49 am

joemoviebuff wrote:
Xaintes wrote:I was accepted into the classs of 2014, but I'm deferring a year so I won't be moving down to Charlottesville until summer 2012. I know there are some 3Ls that post in this thread so...

Any leads on 3Ls currently renting houses/townhouses near the law school whose contact info you could pass on to me? I'm hoping to get a head start with housing since I have a whole year to wait (sad face). I know a lot of the best places on passed on by word of mouth and never get posted, so I'm hoping someone here could help out :)

Thank you! And see all of you class of 2014 people next year!
Many people recommend getting an apartment at the Jeffersonian if you can. It's literally a 3 or 4 minute walk to the law school and quite reasonably priced (http://www.jeffersonianapartments.com). The applications open up on January 1st at midnight (I know, what a convenient time) and you want to make sure you send your email in as close to that time as possible to get a good spot on the waitlist.
I was actually looking into the Jeffersonian before I deferred. I'm married with three pets so we're really looking for a house or townhouse with a bit more space than just an apartment, even if it means being slightly farther from campus. Thanks for the suggestion though!

alirod12

Bronze

Post by alirod12 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:14 pm

Look in Cherry Hill townhouses.

cheeseismildlytasty

New

Post by cheeseismildlytasty » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:36 pm

It just seems odd to me that you guys are making plans to meet under your anonymous usernames.

Puttanesca

Bronze

Post by Puttanesca » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:49 pm

cheeseismildlytasty wrote:It just seems odd to me that you guys are making plans to meet under your anonymous usernames.
It's cool - done it before. This is not Craigslist.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:52 pm

cheeseismildlytasty wrote:It just seems odd to me that you guys are making plans to meet under your anonymous usernames.
Island guy part II?
another 1L refused to take part in the Island Game during Orientation, saying that he “wasn’t here to learn names” before going back to his casebook.
http://www.lawweekly.org/?module=displa ... ormat=html

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:57 pm

5ky wrote:
Island guy part II?
another 1L refused to take part in the Island Game during Orientation, saying that he “wasn’t here to learn names” before going back to his casebook.
Careful! He's a TLS poster!

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:02 pm

Cavalier wrote:
5ky wrote:
Island guy part II?
Careful! He's a douchebag who happens to be a TLS poster!
FTFY.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:03 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
5ky wrote:
Island guy part II?
Careful! He's a douchebag who happens to be a TLS poster!
FTFY.
To be fair, all TLS posters are douchebags, if you're ever unfortunate enough to meet one in real life.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:11 pm

Dear lord. Is law school really going to be that much like a socially awkward version of a Bravo series?
Last edited by Gecko of Doom on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:12 pm

To be fair, all TLS posters are douchebags, if you're ever unfortunate enough to meet one in real life.
Lol. I thought this was true but I think people are a certain way on TLS because the internet anonymity allows them to act like douches without the real life social consequences. My posts are much douchier than my actual real life comments. The TLS people I've met have all been great people. However, they all were 0Ls at ASW's and they had no battle scars yet and I guess they were still in "I want people to like me" mode. I'm sure the real douchiness and cynicism kicks in after first semester.

Heat

Bronze

Post by Heat » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:06 pm

Ok I'm gonna start up this fantasy league in the next few days since the lockouts done.

Who is excited/wants to play?

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:44 am

So, has anyone been following the UVa OGI thread?

The current impression from that thread is that the class of 2013 are facing a bit of a bloodbath. I can't tell if this is simply reflecting lower recruiting than expected, poor bid strategy leaving folk with few or no options, or if the preselect system is hurting good students.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

battle_tested

New

Post by battle_tested » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:26 am

albanach wrote:So, has anyone been following the UVa OGI thread?

The current impression from that thread is that the class of 2013 are facing a bit of a bloodbath. I can't tell if this is simply reflecting lower recruiting than expected, poor bid strategy leaving folk with few or no options, or if the preselect system is hurting good students.

Yeah I've been following it since yesterday. It seems to be focused on the TLS assumption of "NYC=easy" not being so true, at least at this point. Ppl aren't doing half bad in Texas and DC, relatively speaking. But in general, it seems the more NYC and the lower the GPA, the worse you are doing at OGI at this point. I'm sure things will get better though as bids are re-allocated and more info comes out. I wish another T14 school had an active OCI thread so we could compare. Right now, there's no way of telling if its just UVA or it's the the market as a whole.

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:38 am

battle_tested wrote: Right now, there's no way of telling if its just UVA or it's the the market as a whole.
There's no way of even knowing if it's UVA at this point. I'm not expecting there to be a huge onslaught of firms that are released today - although it would be grand if that was the case. But there's far too much dust in the air at this point for anyone to be certain about the field. Give it a little while before you folks start making firm conclusions. I'm just saying, I think it's a little overblwon for folks to call it a bloodbath just yet.

battle_tested

New

Post by battle_tested » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:46 am

billyez wrote:
battle_tested wrote: Right now, there's no way of telling if its just UVA or it's the the market as a whole.
There's no way of even knowing if it's UVA at this point. I'm not expecting there to be a huge onslaught of firms that are released today - although it would be grand if that was the case. But there's far too much dust in the air at this point for anyone to be certain about the field. Give it a little while before you folks start making firm conclusions. I'm just saying, I think it's a little overblwon for folks to call it a bloodbath just yet.
That's a good point and I hope you're right. If that's the case, at least we'll know come next year and hopefully there won't be a huge freakout like there is now.

On a side note, I would be down for fantasy football. Although I'm a complete newb and have never done it before.

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:53 am

Puttanesca wrote:
It's cool - done it before. This is not Craigslist.
This cracked me up, +1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:54 am

billyez wrote: There's no way of even knowing if it's UVA at this point. I'm not expecting there to be a huge onslaught of firms that are released today - although it would be grand if that was the case. But there's far too much dust in the air at this point for anyone to be certain about the field. Give it a little while before you folks start making firm conclusions. I'm just saying, I think it's a little overblwon for folks to call it a bloodbath just yet.
I'm with you that it's not yet a time to panic, but when you see folk in the top 25% getting 1 preselect in NYC out of 30 bids, it's definitely worrisome. Certainly if things don't improve, I hope they'll be taking a long hard look at the implications of the preselect system before we have to face it ourselves.

I think in the past, the preselect system worked well, especially for those above median. Now though, I'm less convinced. If firms are being über-selective at UVa with only the top 30 or 40 students getting many interviews, there's a real risk that they will fail to fill slots and these will then go to lottery picks at other schools.

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:40 pm

wait....

but isnt uva a mix of pre-selects and lottery? so wouldnt the remaining go to lottery at our school?

I am confused. :? :?:
albanach wrote:
billyez wrote: There's no way of even knowing if it's UVA at this point. I'm not expecting there to be a huge onslaught of firms that are released today - although it would be grand if that was the case. But there's far too much dust in the air at this point for anyone to be certain about the field. Give it a little while before you folks start making firm conclusions. I'm just saying, I think it's a little overblwon for folks to call it a bloodbath just yet.
I'm with you that it's not yet a time to panic, but when you see folk in the top 25% getting 1 preselect in NYC out of 30 bids, it's definitely worrisome. Certainly if things don't improve, I hope they'll be taking a long hard look at the implications of the preselect system before we have to face it ourselves.

I think in the past, the preselect system worked well, especially for those above median. Now though, I'm less convinced. If firms are being über-selective at UVa with only the top 30 or 40 students getting many interviews, there's a real risk that they will fail to fill slots and these will then go to lottery picks at other schools.
edit: also, does anyone know if Quinn comes to OCI?
Last edited by crossingforHYS on Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

$$$$$$

Bronze

Post by $$$$$$ » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:43 pm

No way slots are not filled. Even if they are, everyday people will be hustling their asses off to get these unfilled slots. Everyone should chill out, and yea NYC is looking like a bloodbath because everyone just follows what other people tell them to do. "Bid NYC as safety" ... ok lets have all 350 students do that. Most bids an NYC firm got last year was like 150 for Cahill, that number will be like 250 this year.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:57 pm

$$$$$$ wrote:No way slots are not filled. Even if they are, everyday people will be hustling their asses off to get these unfilled slots. Everyone should chill out, and yea NYC is looking like a bloodbath because everyone just follows what other people tell them to do. "Bid NYC as safety" ... ok lets have all 350 students do that. Most bids an NYC firm got last year was like 150 for Cahill, that number will be like 250 this year.
Well then OCS should use their damned heads and stop telling everyone to bid NY. I was not nearly as NY heavy as some, but I bid more than I otherwise would have if I had never spoke to OCS.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:16 pm

albanach wrote:

I don't think I saw the poster you're referencing. The worst result I've seen in the top quarter did better than that.

Also, we have a mixed preselect/lottery system.
crossingforHYS wrote:wait....

but isnt uva a mix of pre-selects and lottery? so wouldnt the remaining go to lottery at our school?

I am confused. :? :?:
albanach wrote:

edit: also, does anyone know if Quinn comes to OCI?
Quinn NYC is here this year.

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:17 pm

$$$$$$ wrote:No way slots are not filled. Even if they are, everyday people will be hustling their asses off to get these unfilled slots. Everyone should chill out, and yea NYC is looking like a bloodbath because everyone just follows what other people tell them to do. "Bid NYC as safety" ... ok lets have all 350 students do that. Most bids an NYC firm got last year was like 150 for Cahill, that number will be like 250 this year.
I'd note that it's not that people bid "NYC as a safety" and just followed what other people said regarding it. It was smart to bid on NYC. It's a "prestigious" (gag) place to work and it's a large market that doesn't demand that you have explicit ties to it. There's just not too many places like it. I also just want to drop the fact that there's no such thing as a "safety" firm. That kind of terminology is useful in terms of law school applications but not in these contexts.

We also, still, don't know all the results.

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:09 pm

So the OGI thread is scaring the crap out of me. But we do need to consider that preselects seem to still be coming out. It doesn't look like all of a firm's preselects are coming out at once, but rather trickling out fairly slowly. So just because one person has heard from a firm, that doesn't mean the firm is done handing out preselects. 2L's, please correct me if I'm wrong.
battle_tested wrote:On a side note, I would be down for fantasy football. Although I'm a complete newb and have never done it before.
+1 to this.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:12 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:just because one person has heard from a firm, that doesn't mean the firm is done handing out preselects
This appears to be correct. As has been noted in that thread, GDC NY had already been heard from, but continued to update with more alternates.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”