UVA Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:21 pm

LLB2JD wrote:So I've read all sort of stuff about Ivy Gardens about the management being terrible. Is it really that bad or could those folks be just disgruntled/random anomalies? I'm just trying to do my groundwork and hopefully find somewhere that I could potentially stay for my whole 3 years there, especially given that I most likely won't be able to visit before I sign a lease.
Their lease-signing policy alone was enough to make me hate them. They require you to pay a non-refundable app fee and a deposit with their application to be "offered" a lease, and doing so does not guarantee you anything. They don't change start/end dates and they vary by unit, and I had been trying to get something that would start in late July or early August so I wouldn't be paying for a whole summer of space I wasn't using. They'd tell me things like well, we have a unit that starts July 16 and I'd go, "Well, I want to reserve that," and they'd go, well, pay the app fee and deposit and we'll offer you a unit when you've been approved and I'd go, "Will paying a deposit reserve the room for me?," since, you know, everyone else in the world will actually reserve a unit for you once you've paid the deposit, and they'd go, we don't reserve rooms, but if it's still available once we've processed your application, we'll offer it to you. It only takes 48 hours or so to process your application, and it's not offered out right now.

I went ahead and paid. Three days later they offered me a place with a start date of like June 5. "But I told you I don't want something starting that early." Well, it's the latest start date we have available now. "Can you just give me a later start on the lease, start it July 16 or something like that since that's what I was told was available when I applied?" We don't reserve units for anyone, and the unit that started July 16 has been rented already. What you can do, sir, is just pay for it starting June 5 and move in whenever you're ready to move in. That way it'll be waiting for you when you're ready to move here in late July or early August. Yes, because what I wanted was to be double-paying all summer.

I cancelled my app but didn't get my app fee back since it was non-refundable. Fuckers.

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:50 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:So I've read all sort of stuff about Ivy Gardens about the management being terrible. Is it really that bad or could those folks be just disgruntled/random anomalies? I'm just trying to do my groundwork and hopefully find somewhere that I could potentially stay for my whole 3 years there, especially given that I most likely won't be able to visit before I sign a lease.
Their lease-signing policy alone was enough to make me hate them. They require you to pay a non-refundable app fee and a deposit with their application to be "offered" a lease, and doing so does not guarantee you anything. They don't change start/end dates and they vary by unit, and I had been trying to get something that would start in late July or early August so I wouldn't be paying for a whole summer of space I wasn't using. They'd tell me things like well, we have a unit that starts July 16 and I'd go, "Well, I want to reserve that," and they'd go, well, pay the app fee and deposit and we'll offer you a unit when you've been approved and I'd go, "Will paying a deposit reserve the room for me?," since, you know, everyone else in the world will actually reserve a unit for you once you've paid the deposit, and they'd go, we don't reserve rooms, but if it's still available once we've processed your application, we'll offer it to you. It only takes 48 hours or so to process your application, and it's not offered out right now.

I went ahead and paid. Three days later they offered me a place with a start date of like June 5. "But I told you I don't want something starting that early." Well, it's the latest start date we have available now. "Can you just give me a later start on the lease, start it July 16 or something like that since that's what I was told was available when I applied?" We don't reserve units for anyone, and the unit that started July 16 has been rented already. What you can do, sir, is just pay for it starting June 5 and move in whenever you're ready to move in. That way it'll be waiting for you when you're ready to move here in late July or early August. Yes, because what I wanted was to be double-paying all summer.

I cancelled my app but didn't get my app fee back since it was non-refundable. Fuckers.

That was hilarious. I literally lol'd

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:04 pm

Doritos wrote:People say cabs are cheap but I dunno. They aren't driving you terribly far and it always seems like its at least 10 bucks each way. Factor in tip and you are paying like 4 bucks for a one way trip. Do that a few times a week and it doesn't seem that much cheaper than having a cheap car w/ minimum coverage (unless of course you have to buy said car then that initial investment may make it more expensive).
I was in Charlottesville for two and a half days last June. For four relatively simple trips (CHO-hotel, hotel-law school, hotel-downtown, and hotel-CHO), my cab bill was over $120. I'd not call them cheap.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:38 pm

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:02 pm

pertristis wrote:
Doritos wrote:People say cabs are cheap but I dunno. They aren't driving you terribly far and it always seems like its at least 10 bucks each way. Factor in tip and you are paying like 4 bucks for a one way trip. Do that a few times a week and it doesn't seem that much cheaper than having a cheap car w/ minimum coverage (unless of course you have to buy said car then that initial investment may make it more expensive).
I was in Charlottesville for two and a half days last June. For four relatively simple trips (CHO-hotel, hotel-law school, hotel-downtown, and hotel-CHO), my cab bill was over $120. I'd not call them cheap.
dang, should have rented a car for that money!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:11 pm

Some people gripe about Ivy but tons of people live there and I don't hear many complaints about it other than people disliking being stuck with NTC cable so it's not that bad to live there. Basically you're trading luxury for convenience so if you're willing to accept a so-so apartment and are happier being close to all the social action, then Ivy is the place for you. If you don't mind commuting to school and events and appreciate the peace and luxury of somewhere like Jefferson Ridge or Woodlands, then live there.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:26 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
Doritos wrote: I think you would appreciate having a car in Charlottesville. You don't need one but its nice.
Says the guy who has a ballin' ass car... (I loled, no one else? Maybe it's an inside joke).

If you live on Arlington having a car is really not necessary, I know a lot of people who don't and none show signs of early starvation. I do not have a car and live further than Arlington and still stay alive. However, if you live in Ivy, it may be more of a concern. One thing I will say about cabs is that if you are using them, you are probably not driving or at least should not be driving so the two are always mutually excusive in my book. I only take cabs out at night and probably would not want to drive anyway so I think cabs are for weekends and cars are for errands and I would not take a cab for errands anyway. That was poorly explained but that's fine.

P.S. Dorito - The girlfriend and I spent like 6 hours this weekend playing Angry Birds. I'm surprised no one told me about this before.
My car is so pimp its out of control. Also, angry birds is amazing. get angry birds seasons when you beat the regular version of the game.

MrSparkle

Bronze

Post by MrSparkle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:29 pm

With regard to housing, when should I begin asking around for people who need a roommate, esp. for Ivy? Anyone with experience bumming a room from someone? I won't make it to Cville until orientation =\

virginiagirl55

New

Post by virginiagirl55 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:52 pm

well-hello-there wrote:On law school numbers there is only 1 person in the past 3 years who applied ED and has reported any scholarship info. I know that Dean Trujillo has gone on the record to say that ED applicants are treated the same as RD applicants for merit scholarship purposes but I haven't been able to find any proof of this.

There are a number of UVa ED LSN profiles showing 173+ LSAT but no scholarship info.

Does anybody here have personal or anecdotal evidence that they actually do give big scholarships to ED applicants with strong numbers?
i received $25,000/year ED with a 171 and a 3.9.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:05 am

virginiagirl55 wrote:
well-hello-there wrote:On law school numbers there is only 1 person in the past 3 years who applied ED and has reported any scholarship info. I know that Dean Trujillo has gone on the record to say that ED applicants are treated the same as RD applicants for merit scholarship purposes but I haven't been able to find any proof of this.

There are a number of UVa ED LSN profiles showing 173+ LSAT but no scholarship info.

Does anybody here have personal or anecdotal evidence that they actually do give big scholarships to ED applicants with strong numbers?
Just curious but why did you ED to UVA? fear of YP?

But that is great news, congrats.

virginiagirl55

New

Post by virginiagirl55 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:07 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
virginiagirl55 wrote:

Just curious but why did you ED to UVA? fear of YP?

But that is great news, congrats.
this was last year, i'm a current 1L. its kind of a long story.

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:46 pm

It is getting real folks. Admitted students page is up.

--LinkRemoved--

Heat

Bronze

Post by Heat » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:57 pm

From the website:

"For the incoming Class of 2014 we are expanding supported laptop offerings. If you do not care for our two dedicated Law Bundle options, you are welcome to order any of the Cavalier Computers laptops and still qualify for hardware support and a loaner laptop. This includes Undergraduate options once they are released. We will not have the same specialized knowledge of these other models, you will not be able to get an identical model as a loaner, and you will not be allowed to customize the warranty and software of these other models to fit your needs as a Law student but we will do our best to otherwise support these other models."

I know I read previous years bundles kinda sucked, with apples product being the only one worth even looking at. Maybe this will give some better options.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:58 am

Heat wrote:From the website:

"For the incoming Class of 2014 we are expanding supported laptop offerings. If you do not care for our two dedicated Law Bundle options, you are welcome to order any of the Cavalier Computers laptops and still qualify for hardware support and a loaner laptop. This includes Undergraduate options once they are released. We will not have the same specialized knowledge of these other models, you will not be able to get an identical model as a loaner, and you will not be allowed to customize the warranty and software of these other models to fit your needs as a Law student but we will do our best to otherwise support these other models."

I know I read previous years bundles kinda sucked, with apples product being the only one worth even looking at. Maybe this will give some better options.
Apple products are the only ones worth looking at, anyway. :)

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:04 pm

Heat wrote:From the website:

This was true when I bought my laptop. I got one of the undergrad bundles and they told me that I'd get hardware support and a loaner (although the loaner would have the specs of the law school bundle laptops and not the laptop I'd bought). Couldn't request unique upgrades, but found an undergrad bundle that had what I wanted,4GB RAM, faster CPU, etc.

bluecrab5448

New

Post by bluecrab5448 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:43 pm

Just want to point out on Ivy Garden's PDF app, it says "Back out fee before lease is signed: $500 (prior to move-in)." I called up their office to ask and they say that specific provision has been removed. Whew.

willyj

New

Post by willyj » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:01 pm

This is probably already on this thread somewhere, but can anybody say from experience about what reasonable rent in Charlottesville would be for a one bedroom apartment somewhat close to campus (walking/biking distance)? And are there any places that generally cover utilities, all or in part, that are desirable to live in? Also, what does a parking space on campus cost?

I've been led to understand that Charlottesville is probably the cheapest of t14 cities in which to live, but I'm still not sure I need up to $200,000 in debt...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:17 pm

swinger

Bronze

Post by swinger » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:56 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
leidice wrote:
LLB2JD wrote: I emailed the agreement today, and they responded almost instantly with my tracking info e.t.c. This must be the most efficient admissions office ever. Now, the waiting begins.
By emailing the agreement, do you mean you printed/signed/scanned the document and emailed it to the office as an attachment? I mailed my ED form on Monday (from Florida) and still haven't received word of its arrival. I'd love to speed things up...
Last year when I mailed mine on a Wednesday, the following monday I sent them an email confirming if the had it. They said they did, then called me on Tuesday informing me of my acceptance.
Last year when I mailed mine on a Tuesday, the previous Friday I received a call informing me of my acceptance.

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:31 pm

Does anyone who's gotten a package wanna say what was in it? <3 I don't get to see mine until I'm back at school.

Heat

Bronze

Post by Heat » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:34 pm

dulcatis wrote:Does anyone who's gotten a package wanna say what was in it? <3 I don't get to see mine until I'm back at school.
Almost entirely this:
http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/prospe ... ochure.htm

All of the brochures plus an acceptance letter. It's been a few months but I'm pretty sure thats the vast majority of the package.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:35 pm

Anything super fun or pretty? :o

Heat

Bronze

Post by Heat » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:37 pm

Sorry Charlie, not really. Other then the acceptance letter which lets face it is pretty damn cool

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:23 pm

Ahhh there was a note on the letter! :) I <3 them :)

AND SO MANY PRETTY PICTURES <3

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:28 pm

Are you 0Ls hiding my grades?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”