UVA Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
omg

Bronze

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Post by omg » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:16 pm

albanach wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:
Wow thats more then i pay now living Downtown in a city. I am looking more in the area of paying 800 a month if possible.
There are plenty of affordable places in Charlottesville. http://www.brac.com has apartments, there are usually lots more and often cheaper options available in the local papers and on Craigslist.
You can still live in one of the nice places and pay way less than that if you have roommates. I lived in a 3-bedroom at the Woodlands my 1L year and paid $540/month (inc. cable but not utilities).

berkeleykel06

Bronze

Post by berkeleykel06 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:50 pm

Heat wrote:
How much was a 1 bed 1 bath? Do they have an option of a 1 bed 1 bath with a den?
1125 a month and 1350 a month respectively. This includes everything except electricity.
--LinkRemoved--

The 1 BR w/ den had a separate closet for the laundry machine which was nice. They are full size in every apartment though stacked in some and not stacked in others, this means the bathroom with that floor plan is slightly less crowded. It also had a more open kitchen and the study was quite big. I just wasn't willing to shell out another couple thousand dollars after seeing the difference. I could certainly see why people would want to though. The living room was smaller though, to me it seemed significantly smaller but that may just be my opinion.
Wow thats more then i pay now living Downtown in a city. I am looking more in the area of paying 800 a month if possible.
Like omg alluded to, if you want a nice, updated apartment you aren't going to get one for under $800 a month without roommates. If you'd prefer an older, less spacious one bedroom to having roommates and want to stay under $800, I'd suggest University Heights or Ivy Gardens (or of course the Jeffersonian if you're high enough on their waitlist). These aren't the greatest places, but they're not too bad either and they're cheap, popular with students, and close to campus. Anything more updated is pretty much going to require roommates to get under $800.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:00 pm

Is it weird to look for roommates on this thread or am I being too premature? All this news of waitlists to get good apts already is making me nervous

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:11 pm

berkeleykel06 wrote:
Heat wrote:
How much was a 1 bed 1 bath? Do they have an option of a 1 bed 1 bath with a den?
1125 a month and 1350 a month respectively. This includes everything except electricity.
--LinkRemoved--

The 1 BR w/ den had a separate closet for the laundry machine which was nice. They are full size in every apartment though stacked in some and not stacked in others, this means the bathroom with that floor plan is slightly less crowded. It also had a more open kitchen and the study was quite big. I just wasn't willing to shell out another couple thousand dollars after seeing the difference. I could certainly see why people would want to though. The living room was smaller though, to me it seemed significantly smaller but that may just be my opinion.
Like omg alluded to, if you want a nice, updated apartment you aren't going to get one for under $800 a month without roommates. If you'd prefer an older, less spacious one bedroom to having roommates and want to stay under $800, I'd suggest University Heights or Ivy Gardens (or of course the Jeffersonian if you're high enough on their waitlist). These aren't the greatest places, but they're not too bad either and they're cheap, popular with students, and close to campus. Anything more updated is pretty much going to require roommates to get under $800.
When I went to UVA (2 years ago) I lived in a more undergrad-centric area, but I paid $625 for a (TINY) updated studio, utilities included. My sister pays $700 for a much larger one now. Its doable if you're flexible about where you're living.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:13 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:Is it weird to look for roommates on this thread or am I being too premature? All this news of waitlists to get good apts already is making me nervous
Go to the Facebook page and look at the Housing thread under Discussions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

well-hello-there

Bronze

Post by well-hello-there » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:14 pm

arism87 wrote:
well-hello-there wrote:On law school numbers there is only 1 person in the past 3 years who applied ED and has reported any scholarship info. I know that Dean Trujillo has gone on the record to say that ED applicants are treated the same as RD applicants for merit scholarship purposes but I haven't been able to find any proof of this.

There are a number of UVa ED LSN profiles showing 173+ LSAT but no scholarship info.

Does anybody here have personal or anecdotal evidence that they actually do give big scholarships to ED applicants with strong numbers?
What GPA do the 173+ applicants have? Too lazy to search it, but I presume the vast majority of EDers don't have strong numbers, no?
Yeah you're right. Most are below 25th %ile GPA. There are a few 173+ ED'ers with GPA in the 25-49th %ile but the sample size is so small that their not reporting scholly info means nothing significant. Still though, wouldn't an ED splitter at least be thrown a token scholarship? say $10K/year?

There are lots of RD applicants in the 173+ 25-49 GPA %ile range being thrown sizable chunks of money.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:37 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:Is it weird to look for roommates on this thread or am I being too premature? All this news of waitlists to get good apts already is making me nervous
Go to the Facebook page and look at the Housing thread under Discussions.
good call, i'm not sure why i didn't do that because i'm a member of the fb page. #brainfart

kelc213

New

Post by kelc213 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:59 pm

Hate to jump backwards but someone was mentioning the chances of getting scholarship $ as ED admits..

From what I heard when I visited UVA (prior to applying,) Jason Dugas himself said more or less that ED applicants tend to be reaching for UVA, and subsequently don't get offered a ton of scholarship for that reason, coupled with the fact that they're already bound to the school. That being said, he mentioned some sensational cases where ED students were granted sizable scholarships, but I'd say that's definitely not the norm. He said this to prospective students in an informal Q&A session.

His advice was more or less: applying ED? be prepared to pay sticker.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:14 pm

kelc213 wrote:Hate to jump backwards but someone was mentioning the chances of getting scholarship $ as ED admits..

From what I heard when I visited UVA (prior to applying,) Jason Dugas himself said more or less that ED applicants tend to be reaching for UVA, and subsequently don't get offered a ton of scholarship for that reason, coupled with the fact that they're already bound to the school. That being said, he mentioned some sensational cases where ED students were granted sizable scholarships, but I'd say that's definitely not the norm. He said this to prospective students in an informal Q&A session.

His advice was more or less: applying ED? be prepared to pay sticker.
Interesting, when I attended in the summer of 09, I heard the opposite - i.e. that ED applicants would be treated identically, otherwise they'd see a drop in people using ED.

Of course, if someone's a reach, they can't expect a large scholarship. Still, if numbers are equal, it's a bit disappointing for someone who would have been admitted RD to be penalized simply because they looked for early certainty in the decision making process.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kelc213

New

Post by kelc213 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:37 pm

albanach wrote:
Interesting, when I attended in the summer of 09, I heard the opposite - i.e. that ED applicants would be treated identically, otherwise they'd see a drop in people using ED.

Of course, if someone's a reach, they can't expect a large scholarship. Still, if numbers are equal, it's a bit disappointing for someone who would have been admitted RD to be penalized simply because they looked for early certainty in the decision making process.
Well that's the major issue... how could that someone know for sure they would have been admitted RD? Especially if you're out of state and have really great scores, then you're in danger of YP. I think the only shoo-ins at UVA are in-state applicants who are above both 75th percentiles. Its not that hard to see on the forum that (a) UVA loves to protect its medians by finding risk-averse applicants shooting off ED contracts and (b) they absolutely do YP.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:49 pm

kelc213 wrote: Well that's the major issue... how could that someone know for sure they would have been admitted RD? Especially if you're out of state and have really great scores, then you're in danger of YP. I think the only shoo-ins at UVA are in-state applicants who are above both 75th percentiles. Its not that hard to see on the forum that (a) UVA loves to protect its medians by finding risk-averse applicants shooting off ED contracts and (b) they absolutely do YP.
This is a stretch. I think in-state above one median is close to a shoo in as long as the other component isn't too low and in-state above both medians is almost a guarantee for some fat cash. UVA definitely does YP, but they are much less likely to do so if you can sell them that you really want to go there. UVA is oversubscribed as it is and is the only top 10 school with a residency requirement. They've overenrolled for 2 straight cycles. The ED contracts make it alot easier to manage the incoming class as well as determine who really wants to go there. I think that law school admissions in general could be improved, but it's hard to blame the admissions office for deciding that 3.2 + 171 + ED contract > 3.6 + 171.

iwanta170

Bronze

Post by iwanta170 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:25 pm

Deleted*

Thanks
Last edited by iwanta170 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luckyme

Bronze

Post by luckyme » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:28 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:47 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
kelc213 wrote: Well that's the major issue... how could that someone know for sure they would have been admitted RD? Especially if you're out of state and have really great scores, then you're in danger of YP. I think the only shoo-ins at UVA are in-state applicants who are above both 75th percentiles. Its not that hard to see on the forum that (a) UVA loves to protect its medians by finding risk-averse applicants shooting off ED contracts and (b) they absolutely do YP.
This is a stretch. I think in-state above one median is close to a shoo in as long as the other component isn't too low and in-state above both medians is almost a guarantee for some fat cash. UVA definitely does YP, but they are much less likely to do so if you can sell them that you really want to go there. UVA is oversubscribed as it is and is the only top 10 school with a residency requirement. They've overenrolled for 2 straight cycles. The ED contracts make it alot easier to manage the incoming class as well as determine who really wants to go there. I think that law school admissions in general could be improved, but it's hard to blame the admissions office for deciding that 3.2 + 171 + ED contract > 3.6 + 171.
Doesnt Berkeley have a requirement?

iwanta170

Bronze

Post by iwanta170 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:49 pm

Deleted*
Last edited by iwanta170 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrSparkle

Bronze

Post by MrSparkle » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:16 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:

Berkeley does not. Michigan does, I think around 20%? Correct me if I'm wrong.

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:26 pm

MrSparkle wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:

I'm 100% sure that if you are wrong on TLS, someone will correct you.. lol

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:40 pm

I'm pretty close to committing. Where can I find info on admitted students weekend?

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:35 pm

I love how UVA's got over 50 pages. I'm really hoping I can make it to ASW.

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:40 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:I'm pretty close to committing. Where can I find info on admitted students weekend?
I don't think they have much up yet except for dates. I forget when they are- I know one is March 18. Last year's schedule is here: --LinkRemoved--.

Michigan already has ALL the details up. Cmon UVA, get with it!

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:48 am

iwanta170 wrote:I wish this were the case. I applied Early Decision as a Virginia resident in the first week of November. At the time, I had a 165 LSAT and GPA just barely below median. I was waitlisted and thereafter spoke over the phone with Mr. Faulk. He was really nice, and I asked his advice on what I could do to improve my chances of being admitted. I specifically asked if improving my GPA would help, and he replied "It will definitely help." He also told me the rest of my application (aka the softs) was solid. So last semester I worked extremely hard in my classes because I was under the impression that raising my GPA above median would make a difference since I am a resident. I ended up with a 4.0 for the semester and my GPA now sits just barely above median. My updated transcript was processed three weeks ago, and I have since sent UVa a letter of continued interest (saying UVa is my first choice still) and a LSAT addendum. I have yet to be admitted. My plan is to send in 1 more LOCI in March and then try to visit the school in early summer. Hopefully they will change their mind and let me in, but I have heard it is extremely difficult to be admitted off the waitlist.

Does anyone have any advice for me on anything else I can do to improve my chances of admission?
Sounds like you will be doing everything you can outside of an increased LSAT score. I think you might should email the admissions office just to verify they have received your updated information. I'm pretty sure some YP folks have made it in off the waitlist in previous cycles after confirming they had a strong interest in attending the school. Not to pour salt in the wound, but it probably would have been better to submit the app after getting the GPA above a 3.85. I have nothing outside of a gut feel to predict your outcome, but I'm betting you are going to have a pretty good shot at getting in off the WL.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:49 am

MrSparkle wrote:
This may be right. I guess you don't really hear about it as much because 20% is much less prohibitive.

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:29 pm

To current students, or those that are familiar with the area, what do you think about living on Wertland?

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:17 pm

LLB2JD wrote:To current students, or those that are familiar with the area, what do you think about living on Wertland?
Good location in relation to the corner but too far from the school to walk on a regular basis (I would only walk it on nice days for the walk itself, it's far). There is a bus that runs up, the North Line I think it's called. Honestly, I would not live there unless I had a car. If you do have a car, it's fine, and not too far from Ivy Gardens where many 1Ls live.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:47 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
Good location in relation to the corner but too far from the school to walk on a regular basis (I would only walk it on nice days for the walk itself, it's far). There is a bus that runs up, the North Line I think it's called. Honestly, I would not live there unless I had a car. If you do have a car, it's fine, and not too far from Ivy Gardens where many 1Ls live.
Students can use the city buses for free, so they can also get the #7 on West Main St and take it to Barracks Road and have a ten minute walk to school. Mon-Sat the #7 is every 15 minutes until 6pm and thereafter is every half hour so is pretty convenient as Charlottesville buses go.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”