UVA Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
jawsthegreat

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Post by jawsthegreat » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:37 pm

I think this article from the student newspaper sums up how most UVA students feel about this place.

http://www.lawweekly.org/?module=displa ... ormat=html

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:43 pm

Seeing this thread on the front page all the time is making me antsy as hell. I feel like the entire class will have been filled by the time I manage to get my application together.

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:47 pm

Any idea about what the on campus housing is like? Do students prefer Copeley Hill over University Gardens, or vice versa? I'm wondering because the wife would like to know that we have a place to live when we get out there, and I think it would be good for her to be part of the campus community for a bit before we look at other options. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

wildcathighfive

Bronze

Post by wildcathighfive » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:36 am

waitlisted...well, we all knew it was coming, haha. there's always still a shot i guess!

nyk3

New

Post by nyk3 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:17 am

wildcathighfive wrote:waitlisted...well, we all knew it was coming, haha. there's always still a shot i guess!
When did you hear? I have similar stats (VA resident though) and went complete on 9/14.

Good luck with the rest of your cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wildcathighfive

Bronze

Post by wildcathighfive » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:19 am

nyk3 wrote:
wildcathighfive wrote:waitlisted...well, we all knew it was coming, haha. there's always still a shot i guess!
When did you hear? I have similar stats (VA resident though) and went complete on 9/14.

Good luck with the rest of your cycle.
by email this morning...thank you!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:44 am

esq wrote:Any idea about what the on campus housing is like? Do students prefer Copeley Hill over University Gardens, or vice versa? I'm wondering because the wife would like to know that we have a place to live when we get out there, and I think it would be good for her to be part of the campus community for a bit before we look at other options. Thanks for any thoughts on this.
No one lives on campus. If you want to be part of the community live on Arlington Blvd.

Xaintes

New

Post by Xaintes » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am

Any perspective on Jeffersonian Apartments on Arlington Blvd? I have a dog, so I'm only looking at places that take pets.

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:12 pm

Xaintes wrote:Any perspective on Jeffersonian Apartments on Arlington Blvd? I have a dog, so I'm only looking at places that take pets.
A bunch of people on here live in them so I'm sure they will speak up. I've been in them before and they are solid apartments. The complex has a pool and little balconies. Inside they are nice but pretty standard for apartments. The one I was in had gray carpet and was clean. Carpet, white walls, pretty standard fixtures. There is really not a ton to say. I thought the one I was in was pretty sizable.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:50 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
Xaintes wrote:Any perspective on Jeffersonian Apartments on Arlington Blvd? I have a dog, so I'm only looking at places that take pets.
A bunch of people on here live in them so I'm sure they will speak up. I've been in them before and they are solid apartments. The complex has a pool and little balconies. Inside they are nice but pretty standard for apartments. The one I was in had gray carpet and was clean. Carpet, white walls, pretty standard fixtures. There is really not a ton to say. I thought the one I was in was pretty sizable.
i'm living in a 2 bdroom w/o den right now.

pros: free parking, prime location (about 5 minutes walk from the LS, which is clutch for morning classes, and a 5 minute walk in the other direction to a mall of sorts), apartment is clean and has all the basics you'd expect in student housing, and rent is really cheap for such a nice location.

cons: kitchen is a touch on the small side for 2 people (if you legitimately cook, anyway), and the carpet is a horrible idea. there is no way it's going to stay clean.

Xaintes

New

Post by Xaintes » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:02 pm

dailygrind wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:
i'm living in a 2 bdroom w/o den right now.

pros: free parking, prime location (about 5 minutes walk from the LS, which is clutch for morning classes, and a 5 minute walk in the other direction to a mall of sorts), apartment is clean and has all the basics you'd expect in student housing, and rent is really cheap for such a nice location.

cons: kitchen is a touch on the small side for 2 people (if you legitimately cook, anyway), and the carpet is a horrible idea. there is no way it's going to stay clean.
Thanks for the information. I have pretty bad allergies/asthma, so wondering how the carpet would work :-/ Maybe we'll go down and check some places out.

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:10 pm

Same. Going to be extra hard for me since my dog is greater then 50lbs and is one of the most common "restricted breeds." Irresponsible pet owners who through their actions give my dog's breed, who is btw the sweetest ever, a bad reputation frustrates me. I would be grateful for any suggestions on apartments to look at that do not have pet breed or weight restrictions.

Apple Tree

Bronze

Post by Apple Tree » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:23 pm

Anyone know a way to find roommates besides Facebook?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Xaintes

New

Post by Xaintes » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:25 pm

Tiva wrote:
Same. Going to be extra hard for me since my dog is greater then 50lbs and is one of the most common "restricted breeds." Irresponsible pet owners who through their actions give my dog's breed, who is btw the sweetest ever, a bad reputation frustrates me. I would be grateful for any suggestions on apartments to look at that do not have pet breed or weight restrictions.
What kind of dog do you have? I have a mini schnauzer... he's only 20 lb so it'll probably be easier for me :-/

Jeffersonian Apartments has a limit of 50 lb for ground level apartments, and the dog has to be at least 2 years old. I'd really prefer a place with hardwood floors though (better for allergies and for pets), but who knows if that will be possible if I'm trying to keep costs down.

And general question - do you recommend living alone or trying to find a roommate? I live with my fiance now, but he won't be moving down until my second year... so I'll either be living alone or with a roommate.

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:54 pm

Xaintes wrote: What kind of dog do you have? I have a mini schnauzer... he's only 20 lb so it'll probably be easier for me :-/
Boxer/Pitt mix. Pop culture and people like Vick give the breed a horrible rep.

I used to own a schnauzer, great breed.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:23 pm

Apple Tree wrote:Anyone know a way to find roommates besides Facebook?
Most of my friends found their roomates on facebook, and have been pretty please with the results. The UVA Law facebook page is an invaluable resource for making friends/connections in the weeks and months before school.

Some of my best friends here I met through attending events on the page. Try to meet as many people as u can before school starts, because if you don't know anyone beforehand most of your friends are going to be in your section and it will be harder to branch out.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:56 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=125933

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:06 pm

haha why not facebook?

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:12 pm

Doritos wrote:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=125933
http://www.law.virginia.edu/offgrounds/offgrounds.htm

or craigslist.

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:25 pm

The Jeffersonian apartments seem decent enough. Anyone know about the Hessian Hills apartments, 3 bdrm 1.5 bath + W/D? Are they bigger than the Jeffersonians? I know it's a bit further than apartments on Arlington Blvd, but we have a little guy, so a good price on a multi-room apartment is very appealing.

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:15 pm

I'm curious: does anyone know the scoop on housing nearer to The Corner or Downtown?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:24 pm

The stuff near the corner has mostly undergrads and is going to be loud on the weekends. If you want that, it's a really cool area to live with good food and some bars nearby. You will have to bus, bike, or drive to the law school though, it is probably a mile away.

Downtown is further out of the way and you are going to be living with and near mostly young professionals and potentially families. Definitely more quiet, but probably nicer living conditions. Downtown also has great food and some nightlife for a slightly older crowd nearby, but is also significantly more expensive than stuff closer to grounds. You will have to drive to class as well or find some combo of city busses to get you there (not recommended).

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:42 pm

I'm going to be six years older than the median starting age come next September. I've been a working professional before I went back to school. I'm living downtown in Kansas City right now. I think that downtown is going to be right down my alley. (Plus, if Zinc is nearby, all the better!)

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:28 pm

esq wrote:The Jeffersonian apartments seem decent enough. Anyone know about the Hessian Hills apartments, 3 bdrm 1.5 bath + W/D? Are they bigger than the Jeffersonians? I know it's a bit further than apartments on Arlington Blvd, but we have a little guy, so a good price on a multi-room apartment is very appealing.
I live in one now. It's a 15-20 minute walk from the school if you cut through the park. There are 2 Bedrooms and a den, which my roommates and I use as a 3rd bedroom so there are 3 of us. The rooms are pretty big, even the den fits a queen bed and my humongous desk. Some of the units are renovated and some are not. Ours is not and has lighter hardwood floors and decent if unspectacular fixtures in the bathroom. The kitchen has a dark wood cabinets.

The renovated ones have darker hardwood floors and are newly painted. Instead of the kitchen being walled off it opens into the living room and there is a bar counter. The kitchens have stainless steel appliances and look more modern. The area is quiet and parking is easy. It is technically condos so the units are individually owned and your mileage may vary. The common pool is nice and a decent size, there is no lifeguard though. I think they are probably bigger than the jeffersonian units based on what I've seen.

Post back if my rambling half-literate spiel left anything out you still want to know.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:39 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
esq wrote:The Jeffersonian apartments seem decent enough. Anyone know about the Hessian Hills apartments, 3 bdrm 1.5 bath + W/D? Are they bigger than the Jeffersonians? I know it's a bit further than apartments on Arlington Blvd, but we have a little guy, so a good price on a multi-room apartment is very appealing.
I live in one now. It's a 15-20 minute walk from the school if you cut through the park. There are 2 Bedrooms and a den, which my roommates and I use as a 3rd bedroom so there are 3 of us. The rooms are pretty big, even the den fits a queen bed and my humongous desk. Some of the units are renovated and some are not. Ours is not and has lighter hardwood floors and decent if unspectacular fixtures in the bathroom. The kitchen has a dark wood cabinets.

The renovated ones have darker hardwood floors and are newly painted. Instead of the kitchen being walled off it opens into the living room and there is a bar counter. The kitchens have stainless steel appliances and look more modern. The area is quiet and parking is easy. It is technically condos so the units are individually owned and your mileage may vary. The common pool is nice and a decent size, there is no lifeguard though. I think they are probably bigger than the jeffersonian units based on what I've seen.

Post back if my rambling half-literate spiel left anything out you still want to know.
How much do each of the 3 of you pay? or what is the total cost

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”