UVA Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
thelaststraw05

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Post by thelaststraw05 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:14 pm

dailygrind wrote:alright, my bad, that was inappropriate. i apologize to anyone i may have offended.
I, at the very least, was not offended. I just found it funny that the two people charged with keeping us on topic, were the two leading us furthest astray.

Then again, welcome to the morning meetings at my office.

becauseimaddicted

New

Post by becauseimaddicted » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:53 pm

luckyme wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
becauseimaddicted wrote:
Probably. I don't use my last name on facebook because I have no interest in online socialization with my friends' parents or worse, my own family. Perhaps if I sent an addendum explaining this they could make an exception for me. I didn't realize they would be matching names to applications. That's intense. Rest assured there will be no trolls in that group.
Well I can't think of another way to ensure the request is from an admit.
Is it worth joining the site? Anything productive/informative happening?
I guess the honor system doesn't apply until you get there.

luckyme-- absolutely. your friends know you were accepted by January and are therefore exceptional.

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:21 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:
dailygrind wrote:alright, my bad, that was inappropriate. i apologize to anyone i may have offended.
I, at the very least, was not offended. I just found it funny that the two people charged with keeping us on topic, were the two leading us furthest astray.

Then again, welcome to the morning meetings at my office.
LOLz

icouldbuyu

Bronze

Post by icouldbuyu » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:37 am

I also apologize, but am happy that my concern has been addressed.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:38 am

Anyway...so a question for the current UVA students in this thread-do any of you have any experience or know of experiences with renting a house in the C'ville area? Does one generally need to look around May or June to find good opportunities or should one be looking immediately to try and 'get in line' like Jefferson Ridge and the Jeffersonian?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:23 pm

sundance95 wrote:Anyway...so a question for the current UVA students in this thread-do any of you have any experience or know of experiences with renting a house in the C'ville area? Does one generally need to look around May or June to find good opportunities or should one be looking immediately to try and 'get in line' like Jefferson Ridge and the Jeffersonian?
Just to clarify, I don't think Jefferson Ridge is as much of a "get in line" type of housing situation.

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:20 pm

sundance95 wrote:Anyway...so a question for the current UVA students in this thread-do any of you have any experience or know of experiences with renting a house in the C'ville area? Does one generally need to look around May or June to find good opportunities or should one be looking immediately to try and 'get in line' like Jefferson Ridge and the Jeffersonian?
It depends on where you're looking. In some places (around the main campus, or "grounds" as UVA says) you have to sign leases approximately.. last November, lol. Farther away housing is more typical and I think you'd be fine in May and June. I don't know about around the law school, don't know anything about houses there.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:26 pm

Dear 0Ls,

Feb Club does not suck. You are insane if you go to any other school.

Happy to help

Frankie55

Bronze

Post by Frankie55 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:03 pm

arism87 wrote:
It depends on where you're looking. In some places (around the main campus, or "grounds" as UVA says) you have to sign leases approximately.. last November, lol. Farther away housing is more typical and I think you'd be fine in May and June. I don't know about around the law school, don't know anything about houses there.
How "far away" are we talking? Of course it depends on your individual situation, but I'm assuming most law students don't need a car, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:35 pm

Frankie55 wrote:
arism87 wrote:
How "far away" are we talking? Of course it depends on your individual situation, but I'm assuming most law students don't need a car, right?
Within walking distance to the main grounds, most houses will already be leased (probably already are). The law school isn't quite main grounds, so it's possible there will still be houses available farther out on that side that are still walkable to the law school (not sure, I only went to UVA undergrad- but most houses between the law school and the main campus will already be leased, I would imagine).

The issue of cars has been discussed in this thread, I think. Short version: you don't need a car, but it is definitely convenient to have one.

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:40 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:Dear 0Ls,

Happy to help
What is Feb Club? I feel like this is something I should know :oops:

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:44 pm

arism87 wrote:
Frankie55 wrote:
arism87 wrote:
Within walking distance to the main grounds, most houses will already be leased (probably already are). The law school isn't quite main grounds, so it's possible there will still be houses available farther out on that side that are still walkable to the law school (not sure, I only went to UVA undergrad- but most houses between the law school and the main campus will already be leased, I would imagine).

The issue of cars has been discussed in this thread, I think. Short version: you don't need a car, but it is definitely convenient to have one.
Since I'll have a car, I wouldn't mind living farther away. The question though is what would the parking situation be on campus? Are there usually sufficient parking spaces for law students that would need them?

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:47 pm

LLB2JD wrote: Since I'll have a car, I wouldn't mind living farther away. The question though is what would the parking situation be on campus? Are there usually sufficient parking spaces for law students that would need them?
Students were on this thread before and made it sound like 1Ls get parking, with the exception of those living at places like the Jeffersonian because the parking they would get would actually be farther from the law school than their apartment.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:49 pm

LLB2JD wrote:

Happy to help
haha I read about this. In my understanding there is some kind of social event every day in the month of February- mostly involving drinking?

Is it bad if this sways my decision in UVA's favor?

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:53 pm

arism87 wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:

Happy to help
haha I read about this. In my understanding there is some kind of social event every day in the month of February- mostly involving drinking?

No it won't. You know you want to be there. Besides, I'll be there. :wink:

snichols16

Bronze

Post by snichols16 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:13 pm

arism87 wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:

Happy to help

Yeah. My best friend from prep school graduated from UVA Law in '08 while I was working on my PhD at UCLA. I went out every year to visit him for Feb Club and the Foxfield races. You are right about Feb Club -- they release a calendar at the beginning of the month that lists the social event for every night that month, ALL of which revolve around heavy, heavy boozing. My favorite were always the Big Lebowski nights and the Jersey Shore (before the show made it popular) nights. I don't think I ever bought a drink.
Last edited by snichols16 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:19 pm

snichols16 wrote:
arism87 wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:

Happy to help

Yeah. My best friend from prep school graduated from UVA Law in '08 while I was working on my PhD at UCLA. I went out every year to visit him for Feb Club and for the Foxfield races. You are right about Feb Club -- they release a calendar at the beginning of the month that lists the social event for every night that month, ALL of which revolve around heavy, heavy boozing. My favorite were always the Big Lebowski nights and the Jersey Shore (before the show made it popular) nights. I don't think I ever bought a drink.
They were free?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:24 pm

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:27 pm

YCrevolution wrote: Feb Club 2011 Calendar: http://www.lawweekly.org/pdf_archives/20110128.pdf#p=8
Seee, this isn't even fair. I'm trying to find reasons to move on and go somewhere else, but I really don't think anyone can compete with this....

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:31 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
snichols16 wrote:
arism87 wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:

Yeah. My best friend from prep school graduated from UVA Law in '08 while I was working on my PhD at UCLA. I went out every year to visit him for Feb Club and for the Foxfield races. You are right about Feb Club -- they release a calendar at the beginning of the month that lists the social event for every night that month, ALL of which revolve around heavy, heavy boozing. My favorite were always the Big Lebowski nights and the Jersey Shore (before the show made it popular) nights. I don't think I ever bought a drink.
Feb Club 2011 Calendar: http://www.lawweekly.org/pdf_archives/20110128.pdf#p=8

Every day I read this thread, I want to go to UVA that much more.

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:35 pm

sarahlawg wrote:

Every day I read this thread, I want to go to UVA that much more.
Come!!! come!!! come!!!

I should be getting paid for my shameless recruiting.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

socraticmethodman

Bronze

Post by socraticmethodman » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:39 pm

Yeah. My best friend from prep school graduated from UVA Law in '08 while I was working on my PhD at UCLA. I went out every year to visit him for Feb Club and for the Foxfield races. You are right about Feb Club -- they release a calendar at the beginning of the month that lists the social event for every night that month, ALL of which revolve around heavy, heavy boozing. My favorite were always the Big Lebowski nights and the Jersey Shore (before the show made it popular) nights. I don't think I ever bought a drink.[/quote]
Feb Club 2011 Calendar: http://www.lawweekly.org/pdf_archives/20110128.pdf#p=8[/quote]

Every day I read this thread, I want to go to UVA that much more.[/quote]

+1

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:42 pm

YCrevolution wrote: Feb Club 2011 Calendar: http://www.lawweekly.org/pdf_archives/20110128.pdf#p=8
Thumbs up to the attentiveness of students in Prof. Leslie’s Labor Law class, who failed to alert him to his teaching Contracts II for the first 20 minutes of the lecture. This reminds ANG of Leslie’s fall Sports Law class, where students failed throughout the semester to alert him that he wasn’t actually “teaching.”
Priceless

Arism, I think this is enough reason. :lol:

snichols16

Bronze

Post by snichols16 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:33 pm

Yeah. My best friend from prep school graduated from UVA Law in '08 while I was working on my PhD at UCLA. I went out every year to visit him for Feb Club and for the Foxfield races. You are right about Feb Club -- they release a calendar at the beginning of the month that lists the social event for every night that month, ALL of which revolve around heavy, heavy boozing. My favorite were always the Big Lebowski nights and the Jersey Shore (before the show made it popular) nights. I don't think I ever bought a drink.[/quote]

They were free?[/quote]

Free as air. No one ever asked for student IDs or anything. I don't think anyone has died in recent years, so I doubt the policy has changed. I think there was a courtesy RSVP system so they knew how much booze to buy, but I was so drunk the entire time I wasn't really paying attention.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:38 pm

It's my bday month. How awesome!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”