UVA Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Stringer Bell

Gold

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Post by Stringer Bell » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:09 am

It's really designed more as a sales pitch for undecided students. There's a mock class, sessions with some of the professors, receptions, a word from the dean, financial aid discussion, etc.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:28 pm

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:36 pm

The Jeffersonian is great and all, but everyone freaking out about it just needs to chill out. In my experience Ivy has been great. The complex is nice, the pool is great, it's right next to the gym, and EVERY 1L event that is not held at a PAs house will be in Ivy. I highly recommend Ivy.

Signed,
A very social 1L

Advice may be different if you are looking for something quieter.

uvahooo

Bronze

Post by uvahooo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:42 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:The Jeffersonian is great and all, but everyone freaking out about it just needs to chill out. In my experience Ivy has been great. The complex is nice, the pool is great, it's right next to the gym, and EVERY 1L event that is not held at a PAs house will be in Ivy. I highly recommend Ivy.

Signed,
A very social 1L

Ivy is way more expensive. WAY MORE EXPENSIVE. Compared to what my friends are paying at Ivy.

upalittletoolate

New

Post by upalittletoolate » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:09 pm

Sweet! So for the travel stipend, they just write you a 400$ check and you keep whats left over?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mishka333

New

Post by mishka333 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:10 pm

Can anyone recommend apartment complexes on Arlington that are not the Jeffersonian or Ivy? I'm 74 on the waitlist at Jeffersonian and would like to find somewhere that's close but not necessarily party central (which is the impression I'm getting of Ivy). Thanks!

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:10 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:The Jeffersonian is great and all, but everyone freaking out about it just needs to chill out. In my experience Ivy has been great. The complex is nice, the pool is great, it's right next to the gym, and EVERY 1L event that is not held at a PAs house will be in Ivy. I highly recommend Ivy.

Signed,
A very social 1L

If only they allowed cats.. :(

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:15 pm

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:04 pm

congrats everyone! looks like UVA is where i'll be - see you this fall!! so excited!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

javacat

New

Post by javacat » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:07 pm

mishka333 wrote:Can anyone recommend apartment complexes on Arlington that are not the Jeffersonian or Ivy? I'm 74 on the waitlist at Jeffersonian and would like to find somewhere that's close but not necessarily party central (which is the impression I'm getting of Ivy). Thanks!
Yeah, agreed. I'm 47. Not really wanting to wait until April/May to find out if I have or don't have housing.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:18 pm

javacat wrote:
mishka333 wrote:Can anyone recommend apartment complexes on Arlington that are not the Jeffersonian or Ivy? I'm 74 on the waitlist at Jeffersonian and would like to find somewhere that's close but not necessarily party central (which is the impression I'm getting of Ivy). Thanks!
Yeah, agreed. I'm 47. Not really wanting to wait until April/May to find out if I have or don't have housing.
The Arlington Court Condos are good, but I'm not sure how to rent them. From my understanding, they are independently owned, so you'll have to periodically check Craigslist and other websites for openings. Maybe ask vanwinkle - he lived there as a 1L. Woodard Properties owns a couple buildings on Arlington - the Graduate Centre and the Arlington Park Townhomes - which are decent options. I personally live in the Graduate Centre and would recommend it if you can find three other people that you'll get along with.

mishka333

New

Post by mishka333 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:53 pm

Cavalier wrote:
javacat wrote:
The Arlington Court Condos are good, but I'm not sure how to rent them. From my understanding, they are independently owned, so you'll have to periodically check Craigslist and other websites for openings. Maybe ask vanwinkle - he lived there as a 1L. Woodard Properties owns a couple buildings on Arlington - the Graduate Centre and the Arlington Park Townhomes - which are decent options. I personally live in the Graduate Centre and would recommend it if you can find three other people that you'll get along with.
Great suggestions, thank you! How early did you apply for your spot in the Graduate Centre? Would you recommend applying now or do you think I can wait till I visit in March?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:55 pm

mishka333 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
javacat wrote:
Great suggestions, thank you! How early did you apply for your spot in the Graduate Centre? Would you recommend applying now or do you think I can wait till I visit in March?
I didn't apply until April. Unless things have changed, there isn't any need to rush. You can wait until after you visit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:23 pm

javacat wrote:

So Jeffersonian doesn't let anyone know their decision until April/May or does it just take that long for them to get further down the WL? That seems like an unnecessarily long time to fill spots

uvahooo

Bronze

Post by uvahooo » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:46 pm

I am moving out of my Arlington Court Condo (1 Bedroom).... I need more room (I will be moving to a 2 bedroom apartment). These go really fast, if you want more info PM me.

Apple Tree

Bronze

Post by Apple Tree » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:24 pm

Cavalier wrote:
javacat wrote:
Thanks for the information. If I were to apply to live in the Graduate Centre, do I have to find the other three suitemates myself? Also, do you walk or drive to school?

Zarathustraspoke

Bronze

Post by Zarathustraspoke » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:38 pm

Applied 11/22. Under Review 12/6. Rejected 1/5

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fouronthe4loor

New

Post by fouronthe4loor » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:23 pm

pjo wrote:
javacat wrote:

So Jeffersonian doesn't let anyone know their decision until April/May or does it just take that long for them to get further down the WL? That seems like an unnecessarily long time to fill spots
I heard back from the Jeffersonian about available apartments in mid-March and I was #8 on the waitlist.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:06 pm

fouronthe4loor wrote: I heard back from the Jeffersonian about available apartments in mid-March and I was #8 on the waitlist.
Fo real? The impression I got from the property manager was that we would start to hear about availabilities in mid-January

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:08 pm

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:46 pm

I went to ASW after getting in ED and I don't really regret it. If you don't live that far from C-Ville, or have senioritis like I did at the end of UG, it's a fun way to spend a weekend. Be warned though, most of the weekend is the administration trying to sell something you have already purchased. Still, the food is decent, some free beer, and you get to meet other people. I basically found a roommate at ASW so that was nice. It's really relaxed and the USSC clerks receptions was cool. I also showed up 2 or 2.5 hours late and no one cared (my liver cared). People will definitely go out both nights so it is fun just to meet people and see if you would fit in there. I stayed with a guy I went to undergrad with and he showed me a great time but YMMV. I was there the softball tournament weekend which was even sweeter. None of the sentences I wrote follow each other, apologies.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:51 pm

Apple Tree wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
javacat wrote:
Thanks for the information. If I were to apply to live in the Graduate Centre, do I have to find the other three suitemates myself? Also, do you walk or drive to school?
You don't have to find suitemates; they'll assign you but it may be better to find people just so you know who your roommates will be rather than taking a chance on random assignment. If you live there, you're required to walk to school (they don't sell parking passes to people who live on Arlington or in Ivy). It's a short walk (~5-7 minutes) so driving to school would barely save any time anyway.

bleedblue

Bronze

Post by bleedblue » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:50 pm

Hey all. I just got in a couple days ago. I had written UVA off because I have a SO in law school and they didn't look like they had a visiting students program. But the guy who called me told me they do, so now its back near the top of my list. Their website doesn't give info as well as I'd like. Do they have an admitted students site, or maybe give a lot of info in the admitted packet they send out?

Also, when do they tell you about scholarships? If I didn't hear on the phone am I not getting one?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:59 pm

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:10 am

joeshmo39 wrote:I went to ASW after getting in ED and I don't really regret it...
Yeah, just wanted to echo everything said in joe's post. Also, it really makes life easier to go to ASW, look at all the apartments you're interested in and just pull the goshdarned trigger on where you'll be staying during school. It's not necessary to do so during that time as there will still be places to go to, but you might as well and it's nice to have the peace of mind.

Since it hasn't been mentioned, I totally recommend applying to that...what do you call that goshdarned thing again? It's the Stay-with-a-UVA-law-student-for-ASW thing that the SBA had last year. Not sure if it's up yet since I'm preoccupied but it was worthwhile getting the viewpoint of folks who have been here for awhile.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”