UVA Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
WVUCelticFan

Bronze

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Post by WVUCelticFan » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:06 pm

Any of the Grad Centre people (or anyone else for that matter) want to get a drink this evening some place close by? I moved in this afternoon.

In matters related to this post, is it possible to PM multiple people at once? I was trying but it only let me address the message to one person at a time.

upalittletoolate

New

Post by upalittletoolate » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:11 pm

Hey guys! Sorry, I seem to just pop in and ask questions, but has anyone tried renting their textbooks online? Seems like a pretty sweet deal, but I just didn't know if there would be a reason to keep textbooks past the semester we would be using them in.

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:17 am

I've learned a thing or two here about our 'grounds' recently, and it just occurred to me that you all might be able to fill in another blank in my understanding of UVa. What is the "Z" that I see all over the school about?

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:23 am

esq wrote:I've learned a thing or two here about our 'grounds' recently, and it just occurred to me that you all might be able to fill in another blank in my understanding of UVa. What is the "Z" that I see all over the school about?
I heard it's some secret society bs

berkeleykel06

Bronze

Post by berkeleykel06 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:26 am

esq wrote:I've learned a thing or two here about our 'grounds' recently, and it just occurred to me that you all might be able to fill in another blank in my understanding of UVa. What is the "Z" that I see all over the school about?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z_Society

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:40 am

berkeleykel06 wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z_Society
that is badass

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:48 am

paulinaporizkova wrote: that is badass
+1

Interesting. That 'Z' is everywhere on UVa grounds. When I saw it at Scott's Stadium last night, I thought to myself: "Maybe it stands for the Cavalier mascot? You never know, he might slash a Zorroesque 'Z' with his saber, who knows?" Glad it stands for something more meaningful because that would have been really lame. Thanks for informing.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:53 pm

See you all at the Biltmore tonight!

WVUCelticFan

Bronze

Post by WVUCelticFan » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:22 am

Anybody know if the school has power? I don't see the grad centre getting it back before tomorrow and all my stuff is dying.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:52 am

WVUCelticFan wrote:Anybody know if the school has power? I don't see the grad centre getting it back before tomorrow and all my stuff is dying.
I think the school has power. After the power went out at my apartment last night, I went to the North Grounds rec center and everything was working fine.

I'm kind of surprised your power is still out...

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:57 am

Gecko of Doom wrote:
WVUCelticFan wrote:Anybody know if the school has power? I don't see the grad centre getting it back before tomorrow and all my stuff is dying.
I think the school has power. After the power went out at my apartment last night, I went to the North Grounds rec center and everything was working fine.

were you able to get into the rec center without an ID?

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:33 pm

what? my power didn't even turn off, it just flickered. damn.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:34 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:

we've been able to get IDs for at least a week now

but no, you need an ID to use the rec center
Last edited by paulinaporizkova on Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Heat

Bronze

Post by Heat » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:34 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Mine went off for long enough not shut my monitor off but, yea, its amazing how power outages effect different areas.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:35 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Apparently that really bad part of the storm blew over some huge tree by the Grad Centre and took out the power lines. It almost crushed a car, too. Pretty nuts considering that bad part only lasted about 10 minutes.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:37 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
Apparently that really bad part of the storm blew over some huge tree by the Grad Centre and took out the power lines. It almost crushed a car, too. Pretty nuts considering that bad part only lasted about 10 minutes.
how rapturous

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:44 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:

Yeah. Since I got into town early, I paid the summer gym fee so I could go ahead and start using it. I've been using my driver's license to get in. Planning to get my ID today, though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:47 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
It also blew a construction trailer over onto a truck in the Barracks Road shopping center. Intense.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:23 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote: Yeah. Since I got into town early, I paid the summer gym fee so I could go ahead and start using it. I've been using my driver's license to get in. Planning to get my ID today, though.
If you don't do it today, I recommend going as early as possible in the morning tomorrow. When I went this morning, the folks working the ID desk were really flustered, and the line was only five people long. I'd hate to see what it gets like when the undergrads start to come in force.

Speaking of which, has anyone dealt with the lovely people at Student Health Medical Records? (/sarcasm) I called today for an appointment to go over the immunization forms, and the woman at Medical Records just about had a conniption fit. "No, we won't see you, you have to fill out the form first!" This, despite the fact that the form clearly says that it needs to be filled out by a medical professional-and I know for a fact a fellow classmate did it there not an hour before my call. So I fill it all out, bring copies of my records, leave it with them, and I get an email an hour later. Evidently, they accepted all my claims of being immunized, arguably the most important part ("Part A" for those looking at it) despite not being filled out by a nurse or doctor, but they didn't accept my answers to the three questions about TB (all of which were 'No,' meaning I don't have to be tested). So, I get to go down to Student Health tomorrow and see a doc just to answer three questions on a form.

TL;DR - If you are planning on using Student Health to do the immunization records stuff, start early because their heads are way up their asses. I saw the woman working the desk loudly dress down a doc who was helping a foreign student with the paperwork, saying she had no idea what the immunization requirements are and they didn't need this form the doctor had filled out and she was just going to throw it away. In the meantime, this poor international student's immunization history was basically being broadcast to the entire lobby.

Makes me glad I'm keeping my wife's insurance.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:30 pm

sundance95 wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote: Yeah. Since I got into town early, I paid the summer gym fee so I could go ahead and start using it. I've been using my driver's license to get in. Planning to get my ID today, though.
If you don't do it today, I recommend going as early as possible in the morning tomorrow. When I went this morning, the folks working the ID desk were really flustered, and the line was only five people long. I'd hate to see what it gets like when the undergrads start to come in force.

Speaking of which, has anyone dealt with the lovely people at Student Health Medical Records? (/sarcasm) I called today for an appointment to go over the immunization forms, and the woman at Medical Records just about had a conniption fit. "No, we won't see you, you have to fill out the form first!" This, despite the fact that the form clearly says that it needs to be filled out by a medical professional-and I know for a fact a fellow classmate did it there not an hour before my call. So I fill it all out, bring copies of my records, leave it with them, and I get an email an hour later. Evidently, they accepted all my claims of being immunized, arguably the most important part ("Part A" for those looking at it) despite not being filled out by a nurse or doctor, but they didn't accept my answers to the three questions about TB (all of which were 'No,' meaning I don't have to be tested). So, I get to go down to Student Health tomorrow and see a doc just to answer three questions on a form.

TL;DR - If you are planning on using Student Health to do the immunization records stuff, start early because their heads are way up their asses. I saw the woman working the desk loudly dress down a doc who was helping a foreign student with the paperwork, saying she had no idea what the immunization requirements are and they didn't need this form the doctor had filled out and she was just going to throw it away. In the meantime, this poor international student's immunization history was basically being broadcast to the entire lobby.

Great, I get to do all this health shit tomorrow.

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:35 pm

FYI, I've been using the rec center without an ID. All I do is walk in, tell them I'm a student, and show them my drivers license. If they have trouble finding me in the database, I give them my computing ID, but they're generally pretty lax about it all. Didn't pay the summer fee, whatever that is, either.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:50 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
sundance95 wrote:

Great, I get to do all this health shit tomorrow.
Don't you still need the immunization info and all that if you aren't enrolling in the student health plan? I'm staying under my parents' insurance but I thought I still had to have all that shit in by the 31st. And yes, I was trying to figure it out this morning and it's a way bigger hassle than I thought it was gonna be.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:54 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
It also blew a construction trailer over onto a truck in the Barracks Road shopping center. Intense.
wut the wut?

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:57 pm

sundance95 wrote:
Haha, I went a week ago, we were the only people there, and the guy could not find my last name alphabetically (it's an easy one, and probably the only one of its kind.) So then I had to fill out this form and got all worried that I wasn't actually enrolled or some shit, and then the lady in the back had to come out and ask him to double check for my sheet because I had registered in June, and then he found it after looking again, right where it should have been. At least he was nice and it wasn't busy

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:Don't you still need the immunization info and all that if you aren't enrolling in the student health plan? I'm staying under my parents' insurance but I thought I still had to have all that shit in by the 31st. And yes, I was trying to figure it out this morning and it's a way bigger hassle than I thought it was gonna be.
Yeah, you still need it. I just meant that I'm glad I won't be dealing with the Student Health people on a regular basis. And TBF, my only interaction was really with the Medical Records people, who are pretty much miserable assholes in general and probably not representative of the clinic.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”