UVA Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
queenlizzie13

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2014

Post by queenlizzie13 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:11 pm

McDeere wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:
atresia wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:Me too, that's why I double-checked the vm, because it was different than everyone else here. However, I should be hearing back something any day now...

Everyone's fast turnaround time for ED makes me nervous - but there were some that heard later, so that gives me some hope.

Still, I'm expecting a WL, which is basically a rejection at U.VA...

EDIT: Waitlist email today...kind of expected it. Still, disappointed nonetheless...
There's a chance I'll be retaking LSAT in June now...especially if I don't get one of my other top choices (W&M, W&L, GW, or BC)
:( Sorry to hear that.

I received an email today that they received my ED contract, so it looks like my review process begins.
Good luck Atresia! Does anyone think that taking the February LSAT would increase my chances to come of the WL?
Score a 170 and get off the waitlist!
Will it hold up my other apps? Or should I just tell everyone else not to wait for the February score?

McDeere

New

Post by McDeere » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:10 am

Tell everyone else not to wait

bmore

Bronze

Post by bmore » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:35 pm

RD Out of state 3.8/172 I am getting a little worried. Are any OOS hearing? Chances? :shock:

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:43 pm

bmore wrote:RD Out of state 3.8/172 I am getting a little worried. Are any OOS hearing? Chances? :shock:
I was OOS ED and WL. But my stats were definitely worse than yours...

If you really want UVA, I would switch to ED.

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:55 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
bmore wrote:RD Out of state 3.8/172 I am getting a little worried. Are any OOS hearing? Chances? :shock:

Uh, no. This is terrible advice. 3.8/172 should only ED to UVA if he or she is not willing to attend any other school in the T14. It is possible that he or she will be waitlisted, yes. But several other schools will probably give him or her money. He or she will probably get into CCN. Even has a slim shot at YHS.

I don't think any RD/non-URM/OOS people have heard back yet. It is way too early to be worried.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bmore

Bronze

Post by bmore » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:57 pm

Thanks. I can breath, a liitle.

wackyjack22

New

Post by wackyjack22 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:05 pm

[quote=

I don't think any RD/non-URM/OOS people have heard back yet. It is way too early to be worried.[/quote]

My numbers aren't as stellar as the post that this was about, but I still fit into this category and it makes me less paranoid about getting instantly dinged. I wrote a "Why Virginia" and thought it was rather convincing.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:20 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:

Uh, no. This is terrible advice. 3.8/172 should only ED to UVA if he or she is not willing to attend any other school in the T14. It is possible that he or she will be waitlisted, yes. But several other schools will probably give him or her money. He or she will probably get into CCN. Even has a slim shot at YHS.

I don't think any RD/non-URM/OOS people have heard back yet. It is way too early to be worried.
Yeah, sorry...I agree. Bad advice on my part...

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:35 pm

I went through like 10 pages before asking but I give up ahah. How long has it been taking EDers to get a decision?

Just checking, my friend's waiting back to hear, and since I don't expect any movement over the next couple weeks for my own apps I'm on to worrying about him :) haha

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:39 pm

arism87 wrote:I went through like 10 pages before asking but I give up ahah. How long has it been taking EDers to get a decision?

Just checking, my friend's waiting back to hear, and since I don't expect any movement over the next couple weeks for my own apps I'm on to worrying about him :) haha
Ranges from less than 24 hours to the full two weeks. They usually take longer to reject.

pobeda007

New

Post by pobeda007 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:11 pm

arism87 wrote:I went through like 10 pages before asking but I give up ahah. How long has it been taking EDers to get a decision?

Don't stress! I'm still waiting on plenty. I'm giving myself until schools go on Christmas break before I worry. Good luck!!

McDeere

New

Post by McDeere » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:57 am

plenipotentiary wrote:

Ranges from less than 24 hours to the full two weeks. They usually take longer to reject.
I heard back the day after I went complete. I think people who don't hear from them within the first week are either rejected or WL'ed.

upalittletoolate

New

Post by upalittletoolate » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:03 am

Quick question on housing-

I'm looking for a one bedroom deal within walking distance of the law school. Price isn't too much of an issue. I've been looking strongly at the Copeley Apartments, but the only 1-bedroom option is under family housing. Anyone know if those open up to singles if not enough families move in?

I'm open to alternatives as well- just has to be walkable. Any ideas?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:28 am

McDeere wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:

I heard back the day after I went complete. I think people who don't hear from them within the first week are either rejected or WL'ed.
I believe one person got an acceptance about 10 days after sending ED, but this could be false.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:35 am

McDeere wrote:I think people who don't hear from them within the first week are either rejected or WL'ed.
They are almost assuredly going to have to start being more selective with ED applicants which will probably push the response time over one week.

I would not feel discouraged if you haven't heard back after 7-9 days, but once it hits the 10th day and on, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:44 pm

2014 wrote:
McDeere wrote:I think people who don't hear from them within the first week are either rejected or WL'ed.
They are almost assuredly going to have to start being more selective with ED applicants which will probably push the response time over one week.

I would not feel discouraged if you haven't heard back after 7-9 days, but once it hits the 10th day and on, I wouldn't get my hopes up.
This is probably true. Plus, if you're like me and applied ED last week, then your application is behind schedule (I called admissions today and was told this is so).

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:00 pm

upalittletoolate wrote:Quick question on housing-

I'm looking for a one bedroom deal within walking distance of the law school. Price isn't too much of an issue. I've been looking strongly at the Copeley Apartments, but the only 1-bedroom option is under family housing. Anyone know if those open up to singles if not enough families move in?

The place I'm at is literally the 2nd closest complex to the law school (tied with jeffersonian). 700 bucks for a one bedroom.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:31 pm

Don't live in Copeley. Live in Ivy Gardens or one of the places on Arlington Blvd (Arlington Court, Arlington Townhomes, Graduate Centre, Jeffersonian, or 2400 Arlington Blvd).

upalittletoolate

New

Post by upalittletoolate » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:23 pm

flyingpanda wrote:

The place I'm at is literally the 2nd closest complex to the law school (tied with jeffersonian). 700 bucks for a one bedroom.

Definitely sounds doable- which complex is it?
gladiator wrote:

Don't live in Copeley. Live in Ivy Gardens or one of the places on Arlington Blvd (Arlington Court, Arlington Townhomes, Graduate Centre, Jeffersonian, or 2400 Arlington Blvd).
Thanks for the advice! If you had to pick one, which would offer the best bet for a single guy living alone? Noise isn't too big of an issue for me- really just need to be able to walk to campus and maybe food.

Thanks again to both of you for the help!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:27 pm

upalittletoolate

New

Post by upalittletoolate » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:35 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
upalittletoolate wrote:
flyingpanda wrote:

Definitely sounds doable- which complex is it?
gladiator wrote:

Thanks for the advice! If you had to pick one, which would offer the best bet for a single guy living alone? Noise isn't too big of an issue for me- really just need to be able to walk to campus and maybe food.

Thanks again to both of you for the help!
1. Arlington Condos

2. You'll want to be on Arlington Blvd. for easy walking-distance access to food (a number of restaurants and two 24-hour grocery stores within ten minutes or less).

That sounds fantastic- but do they rent 1-bedroom condos? I can't seem to find a set website for Arlington Condos. Also, does any one know if there are pictures online of the Jeffersonian apartments?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:42 pm

upalittletoolate

New

Post by upalittletoolate » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:55 pm

YCrevolution wrote: Yes, but they're all basement-level units. There's a living room with small kitchen off to one side, a small hallway, a bathroom, and the bedroom. There is no comprehensive website for Arlington Condos because individual units/building are owned by different people. Sometimes openings are posted on Craigslist, other times professional rental management companies are used.

There are no pictures online of Jeffersonian apartments. They're of a similar infrastructure quality to that of Ivy Gardens... except Jeffersonian utilities aren't bundled (cheaper than Ivy Gardens) and we have HD cable (Ivy Gardens does not).
Got it. From the sounds of things, the Jeffersonian ones may be the way to go (if I can't find an Arlington condo on CL). If I can have my app emailed in by January 1 or 2, would I stand a pretty good shot at getting a spot? Just wondering if there is some kind of waitlist involved, or if they have a very high move out rate most years. I'll be out of the country from this Monday till March, so email is really my only option.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:14 am

Deep Trench

New

Post by Deep Trench » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:15 am

I am in. ED complete on 11/29 and got a call on 11/30. 179/3.04. VA resident.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”