TLS Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
r6_philly

Diamond

Re: TLS Class of 2014

Post by r6_philly » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:25 pm

atresia wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Thanks goodness my grad program took my LSAT. I don't enjoy thinking about prepping for GRE.
Ironically, the only grad program that I'm looking at that takes the LSAT is the best one in the country (MPH, Johns Hopkins).
I wish more would do so. I still want to get another grad degree either with or after the JD. So I guess I will have to take the GRE/GMAT eventually? Can you get into a PhD program without taking any tests?

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:30 pm

r6_philly wrote:
atresia wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Thanks goodness my grad program took my LSAT. I don't enjoy thinking about prepping for GRE.
Ironically, the only grad program that I'm looking at that takes the LSAT is the best one in the country (MPH, Johns Hopkins).
I wish more would do so. I still want to get another grad degree either with or after the JD. So I guess I will have to take the GRE/GMAT eventually? Can you get into a PhD program without taking any tests?
Do I recall correctly that you already have a graduate degree? And you want to get another after the JD? Is that to get a PhD to follow up on your masters degree?

Not trying to be rude, but I am curious as to why you would want three advanced degrees.

ugchicago

New

Post by ugchicago » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:34 pm

CTCP11 wrote:2014! So excited! That is, if I get accepted anywhere :lol:
Glad to see a kindred spirit. Good luck!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:04 pm

sundance95 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
atresia wrote:
Do I recall correctly that you already have a graduate degree? And you want to get another after the JD? Is that to get a PhD to follow up on your masters degree?

Not trying to be rude, but I am curious as to why you would want three advanced degrees.
I will have a MPA by 2L year (I am set to graduate in my 1L spring term). I am considering a joint JD/MBA or JD/MS in Computer Science (stanford's only 3 years). I plan to pursue a PhD in Philosophy, Religious Studies, or Computer Science sometime after law school for personal fulfillment - I have a few research ideas that I would like to pursue, in each of those fields. I like to learn, think, and reflect. (that would be 4 degrees with the JD huh? :lol: )

My BS is a practical degree (in CS), so I am definitely not doing it so I can get more degrees on paper.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:13 pm

r6_philly wrote:
sundance95 wrote:

I will have a MPA by 2L year (I am set to graduate in my 1L spring term). I am considering a joint JD/MBA or JD/MS in Computer Science (stanford's only 3 years). I plan to pursue a PhD in Philosophy, Religious Studies, or Computer Science sometime after law school for personal fulfillment - I have a few research ideas that I would like to pursue, in each of those fields. I like to learn, think, and reflect. (that would be 4 degrees with the JD huh? :lol: )

My BS is a practical degree (in CS), so I am definitely not doing it so I can get more degrees on paper.
:shock: Aren't you worried that some employers won't want to hire you with all those degrees? I've heard that this can be an issue with legal related jobs...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:21 pm

r6_philly wrote: I plan to pursue a PhD in Philosophy, Religious Studies, or Computer Science sometime after law school for personal fulfillment.
As someone who has an M.A. in Religion and one in Philosophy, this is a bit hypocritical, but...DON'T DO THIS!!! Well, if you have the financial resources, knock yourself out, but don't think that a career lies down the humanities PHD path. If you think the legal job market is rough, go ask some graduating PHDs in Phil. For personal fulfillment you can always audit classes, sit in on public lectures, read on your own, etc.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:28 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
r6_philly wrote: I plan to pursue a PhD in Philosophy, Religious Studies, or Computer Science sometime after law school for personal fulfillment.
As someone who has an M.A. in Religion and one in Philosophy, this is a bit hypocritical, but...DON'T DO THIS!!! Well, if you have the financial resources, knock yourself out, but don't think that a career lies down the humanities PHD path. If you think the legal job market is rough, go ask some graduating PHDs in Phil. For personal fulfillment you can always audit classes, sit in on public lectures, read on your own, etc.

Thank you for the advice, appreciate it. My desire to pursue all these degrees are not for financial reasons. I can work into big law level salaries with my BS and WE as is. I am getting the MPA because I want to run a nonprofit and I feel like I should get the tools, skills and connections to help me when the time comes. Getting the JD so I can tie policy, legal, technology together. Want to do the MBA because it helps to gain more business skills. Want to do the MSCS/PhD because I have a dissertation topic picked out as an independent research topic in undergrad and it could stand another 5-6 years of research. Would like to pursue Phil/RS because I like to think, and I like to learn more about how others thing/interact... I would have no need for the social science PhD, so I would only take that on part-time after my career is settled. Having a PhD can also help me get into teaching later on (I have some starter college teaching expreience), also the JD and my MPA and maybe MS would get me adjunct positions (would have landed one without this year if they didn't cut the budget at the last minute). Anyway, don't worry about me, my skillset and situation is very unique, and I generally like to learn and grow.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:32 pm

sundance95 wrote: :shock: Aren't you worried that some employers won't want to hire you with all those degrees? I've heard that this can be an issue with legal related jobs...
Haha, I don't planned to be employed within 5 years after law school graduation. If things work out I would be running a consulting firm. I am the ultimate entrepreneur, always have been

But I can always have 5 different versions as far as CV/resume go :lol:

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:05 pm

r6_philly wrote:
sundance95 wrote: :shock: Aren't you worried that some employers won't want to hire you with all those degrees? I've heard that this can be an issue with legal related jobs...
Haha, I don't planned to be employed within 5 years after law school graduation. If things work out I would be running a consulting firm. I am the ultimate entrepreneur, always have been

But I can always have 5 different versions as far as CV/resume go :lol:
No offense, but if you want to be an entrepreneur why do you need any degrees at all?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:04 am

sundance95 wrote: No offense, but if you want to be an entrepreneur why do you need any degrees at all?
No problem at all, fair question.

You don't need degrees, expect
- need a JD for the bar
- great schools can help establish great connections in business
- some skills are learned faster when taught in school (you don't have to go through the trial and error stage on your own)
- when you deal with others ... vendors, customers, clients, investors (this is probably the biggest point), they look at your resume. The better your degree is, the more credibility they perceive. They feel that schools are part of the quality assurance process (to quote a LS dean). Being an entrepreneur with a HBS MBA is a lot easier than doing so with a G.E.D.

My state school UG degree is not opening doors like my ivy master (which I don't even have yet). It's sort of a shame how people work, but it's reality nonetheless.

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:51 pm

Attending UCLA :D

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:52 pm

msch0i wrote:Attending UCLA :D
Congrats! did you ED?

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:00 am

Attending UVA!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:01 am

Knockglock wrote:
msch0i wrote:Attending UCLA :D
Congrats! did you ED?
Yes :)

CMDantes

Bronze

Post by CMDantes » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:57 am

Admitted and will absolutely commit to UT Law. Couldn't have done it without this site.

Good luck everyone!

maxm2764

Silver

Post by maxm2764 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:05 am

I'm in in for the long haul with the c/o 2014. Good luck everyone.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:14 pm

You're starting to do it right, slowly but surely.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gokickrocks

Bronze

Post by gokickrocks » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:21 pm

maxm2764 wrote:I'm in in for the long haul with the c/o 2014. Good luck everyone.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:31 pm

romothesavior wrote:You're starting to do it right, slowly but surely.
That's what she said?

maxm2764

Silver

Post by maxm2764 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:37 pm

That IS what she said. Romo how's 1L?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:35 pm

maxm2764 wrote:
So far so good. I'm liking school so far. Things are really picking up lately. I imagine once November hits, everyone will be in full freakout mode.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

maxm2764

Silver

Post by maxm2764 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:18 pm

romothesavior wrote:
maxm2764 wrote:
So far so good. I'm liking school so far. Things are really picking up lately. I imagine once November hits, everyone will be in full freakout mode.
Haha, from what I've gathered during my TLS career I'm guessing that's just the life of a 1L. But I'm glad you're enjoying it Romo, keep me posted on how everything goes!
Last edited by maxm2764 on Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:21 pm

CMDantes wrote:Admitted and will absolutely commit to UT Law. Couldn't have done it without this site.

Good luck everyone!
Love that UT seal! make sure you get the class ring when you are here (many law students dont) but it is an amazing ring and the crest has never and will never change. Plus its a great convo starter when your speaking to someone who is also a UT alum

CMDantes

Bronze

Post by CMDantes » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:23 pm

jt1341 wrote:
CMDantes wrote:Admitted and will absolutely commit to UT Law. Couldn't have done it without this site.

Good luck everyone!
Love that UT seal! make sure you get the class ring when you are here (many law students dont) but it is an amazing ring and the crest has never and will never change. Plus its a great convo starter when your speaking to someone who is also a UT alum
Thanks! :) I'm getting my undergrad class ring from UT Austin next semester, was there a different between it and the law ring? If so I'll wait and get the law school ring.

ZachOda

Bronze

Post by ZachOda » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:03 am

Congrats Dantes, has to be a relief to be done

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”