Michigan Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
dabbadon8
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby dabbadon8 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:17 pm

r6_philly wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:
I think it is 67.5k


I wonder if they will be open to match? I doubt I even got that much.


The letter said specifically that they will not change the amount once awarded however there has been some anecdotal evidence to the contrary. Aka one lsn profile.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:19 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:
I think it is 67.5k


I wonder if they will be open to match? I doubt I even got that much.


The letter said specifically that they will not change the amount once awarded however there has been some anecdotal evidence to the contrary. Aka one lsn profile.


Yeah, I've heard of it happening, but it's extremely, extremely rare AFAIK.

somewhere
Posts: 233
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:38 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby somewhere » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:19 pm

Anybody know whether any merit-based award is automatically posted to the ASW the same time you can access it, or if they might appear later?

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:20 pm

somewhere wrote:Anybody know whether any merit-based award is automatically posted to the ASW the same time you can access it, or if they might appear later?


They do merit-based aid about a week after.

Anybody know what the minimum Dean's Scholarship is?

dabbadon8
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby dabbadon8 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:21 pm

somewhere wrote:Anybody know whether any merit-based award is automatically posted to the ASW the same time you can access it, or if they might appear later?


It shows up a couple weeks letter. I got the letter with the merit aid before it showed up on the ASW.

fletchcon
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:13 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby fletchcon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:39 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
somewhere wrote:Anybody know whether any merit-based award is automatically posted to the ASW the same time you can access it, or if they might appear later?


They do merit-based aid about a week after.

Anybody know what the minimum Dean's Scholarship is?


I think I saw 30K mentioned somewhere

Wait I see a few 15Ks on LSN from last year
One of them mentions that they negotiated for this (up from 0 I'm assuming)
Last edited by fletchcon on Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:39 pm

fletchcon wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
somewhere wrote:Anybody know whether any merit-based award is automatically posted to the ASW the same time you can access it, or if they might appear later?


They do merit-based aid about a week after.

Anybody know what the minimum Dean's Scholarship is?


I think I saw 30K mentioned somewhere

30k over 3 years

jaysam79
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:30 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby jaysam79 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:46 pm

Just wanted to say hello. What a cycle so far...please no more "holds"! But, in at Michigan and definitely one of my top choices. Will be at the first ASW!

User avatar
Reinhardt
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 2:27 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby Reinhardt » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:51 pm

Michigan 1L, just saying hi. From what I've heard, if you come to ASW you'll be watching my section's Property class. It's a trip.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:55 am

fletchcon wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
somewhere wrote:Anybody know whether any merit-based award is automatically posted to the ASW the same time you can access it, or if they might appear later?


They do merit-based aid about a week after.

Anybody know what the minimum Dean's Scholarship is?


I think I saw 30K mentioned somewhere

Wait I see a few 15Ks on LSN from last year
One of them mentions that they negotiated for this (up from 0 I'm assuming)


I have $10K per year from last year... I think that may be the minimum. Some people on LSN list per year rather than total...

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby thelaststraw05 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:50 pm

r6_philly wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
fletchcon wrote:Nothing is showing up under mailings for me but when I clicked on Financial Aid Award Info it came up with 18K!

To be honest, unless Cornell offer me full ride (or close to it) this is pretty much cycle over for me; I think :D


Mine doesn't show the award... just that one has been mailed.


Mine shows the letter mailed tomorrow. My award from last year is still showing, so I can't see what's in this years, although I suspect it will be the same.

What's the max Dean Scholarship amount?


You should check your award again. It updated for me today.

$15k!

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:03 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
You should check your award again. It updated for me today.

$15k!


Thanks for the heads up. Checked just now, 15k. Off to create a Michigan vs. UVA thread. :D

bannanagram
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:51 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby bannanagram » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:05 pm

wolverine2014 wrote:
holydonkey wrote:
wolverine2014 wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:My gf was agitated when I told her I was going alone. Just tell your SO that you will be sitting in on classes and talking to professors and looking at the library and whatever other stuff no one not interested in going to law school would be interested in. Of course mine has already been to Ann Arbor so she doesn't need to see the overall vibe of the town.
Yeap...that's my exact concern. I'd hate to have her take a couple days off from work to spend most of the time alone. Based on the action packed schedule, it seems that's what would happen.
Posting at the request of my wife.

We visited together last year and the visit was really important for her. She didn't come to all of the scheduled events (mock class, career panel, etc), but she did come to the social events (lunch and dinner meet and greets with other students, campus tour, wine reception with the profs). Coming to Ann Arbor, having a chance to check out some apartments, and just generally learning more about the school was good for both of us. If you have a spouse or significant other, really consider having them come with you - this will be the next three years of their life as well and you want to make sure that they're comfortable with the decision and can see a life here for themselves as well.


so she was able to go with you to all the events/meetings? was there a particular time she felt isolated?


Hi... Holydonkey's wife posting because he is busy writing something for legal practice (your spouses should get used to having their own lives now, because you won't be spending a lot of weekend nights with them next year)! I was able to go to all of the sessions and events during ASW, but just selected those that were of interest to me. I think I went to all of the events with food and to most of the panels. I did not go to the mock classes, but could have if I wanted to. I spent a lot of my time wandering around the campus and looking into various housing options. I would also consider having your S/O set up informational meetings with any prospective employers and/or grad programs they are interested in.
I'd be happy to answer any job hunt/housing/life in A2 questions those with SO's may have!

User avatar
sgtgrumbles
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby sgtgrumbles » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:45 pm

bannanagram wrote:I'd be happy to answer any job hunt/housing/life in A2 questions those with SO's may have!

Did you and your husband stay in the Michigan-provided housing during ASW? If so, did you have to make a formal request to Michigan to arrange this? My girlfriend has to miss the ASW for the program there to which she applied, so she may just come to AA with me for my ASW. I just need to know if she can stay with me or if we'll need to arrange something else.

Thanks!

mistermister
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby mistermister » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:47 pm

edit: moved to general thread, didn't see this was admitted students thread. hope to join y'all soon ;)

User avatar
sgtgrumbles
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby sgtgrumbles » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:03 pm

r6_philly wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
You should check your award again. It updated for me today.

$15k!


Thanks for the heads up. Checked just now, 15k. Off to create a Michigan vs. UVA thread. :D

Not sure whether you guys are aware of this, but I don't think the higher amount is necessarily a sign of an increased award. My amount jumped from 18k to 27k. I called and someone in the fin aid office explained that the number increased because they had just updated my status in the system to reflect the fact that I'm a summer starter. In other words, the total award did not increase, just the figure they indicated for my per year award, which now includes summer and fall and spring semesters (rather than fall and spring, as it previously did). I hope that wasn't too convoluted.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:06 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
You should check your award again. It updated for me today.

$15k!


Thanks for the heads up. Checked just now, 15k. Off to create a Michigan vs. UVA thread. :D

Not sure whether you guys are aware of this, but I don't think the higher amount is necessarily a sign of an increased award. My amount jumped from 18k to 27k. I called and someone in the fin aid office explained that the number increased because they had just updated my status in the system to reflect the fact that I'm a summer starter. In other words, the total award did not increase, just the figure they indicated for my per year award, which now includes summer and fall and spring semesters (rather than fall and spring, as it previously did). I hope that wasn't too convoluted.


So there is no increase?? Maybe??

I submitted all my need-base apps to other schools, so I will compare them in a few weeks. But know that I will get all longs outside of the 45k at Michigan, I suspect this will be the smallest package I get. :(

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby thelaststraw05 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:15 pm

r6_philly wrote:
sgtgrumbles wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
You should check your award again. It updated for me today.

$15k!


Thanks for the heads up. Checked just now, 15k. Off to create a Michigan vs. UVA thread. :D

Not sure whether you guys are aware of this, but I don't think the higher amount is necessarily a sign of an increased award. My amount jumped from 18k to 27k. I called and someone in the fin aid office explained that the number increased because they had just updated my status in the system to reflect the fact that I'm a summer starter. In other words, the total award did not increase, just the figure they indicated for my per year award, which now includes summer and fall and spring semesters (rather than fall and spring, as it previously did). I hope that wasn't too convoluted.


So there is no increase?? Maybe??

I submitted all my need-base apps to other schools, so I will compare them in a few weeks. But know that I will get all longs outside of the 45k at Michigan, I suspect this will be the smallest package I get. :(


I don't know about Philly, but I'm not a summer starter and it was the first award it showed for me. For us the problem was just that it said a letter would be mailed the next day, but didn't tell us the amount. The next day the amount showed up.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:17 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
I don't know about Philly, but I'm not a summer starter and it was the first award it showed for me. For us the problem was just that it said a letter would be mailed the next day, but didn't tell us the amount. The next day the amount showed up.


Same here. First the letter show up in mailings, then the amount showed up.

But I think some people's amount have gone up but that may be due to combined aid for the extra term as stated above. There was optimism that we may have our awards increased.

User avatar
sgtgrumbles
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby sgtgrumbles » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:33 pm

r6_philly wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
I don't know about Philly, but I'm not a summer starter and it was the first award it showed for me. For us the problem was just that it said a letter would be mailed the next day, but didn't tell us the amount. The next day the amount showed up.


Same here. First the letter show up in mailings, then the amount showed up.

But I think some people's amount have gone up but that may be due to combined aid for the extra term as stated above. There was optimism that we may have our awards increased.

I think the solution is simple: call and ask! Have your UMich ID handy, because they need it to look you up. I was optimistic, too, but they gave me a cold dose of reality when I called.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:34 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:I think the solution is simple: call and ask! Have your UMich ID handy, because they need it to look you up. I was optimistic, too, but they gave me a cold dose of reality when I called.


Haha I have last cycle as a guide. I know 45k is all I will get. Unless they want to negotiate. But I will wait a bit for that if I want to try.

User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:51 pm

In at UMich today, but of course I forgot to update my permanent address and it was sent to my home address instead of my on campus address. But I'm on the admitted students site. Where did you guys go to find about aid offers, scholarships and all of that stuff? My dad refuses to go open until after he gets home from work at 5 PM. :evil:

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:55 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:In at UMich today, but of course I forgot to update my permanent address and it was sent to my home address instead of my on campus address. But I'm on the admitted students site. Where did you guys go to find about aid offers, scholarships and all of that stuff? My dad refuses to go open until after he gets home from work at 5 PM. :evil:


Congrats! You will get a scholarship letter mailed to you about 7 days after the packet's date (if you are to get one). Then give another day or two and the amount will show up under financial aid awards. So you don't really need the packet or the letter.

User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:11 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:In at UMich today, but of course I forgot to update my permanent address and it was sent to my home address instead of my on campus address. But I'm on the admitted students site. Where did you guys go to find about aid offers, scholarships and all of that stuff? My dad refuses to go open until after he gets home from work at 5 PM. :evil:


Congrats! You will get a scholarship letter mailed to you about 7 days after the packet's date (if you are to get one). Then give another day or two and the amount will show up under financial aid awards. So you don't really need the packet or the letter.

Good to know and thanks.
Last edited by Non-Chalant1 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Excellence = a Habit
Posts: 1021
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:12 pm

Hi people! Question about the first ASW: Are most people planning to stay the extra night (Saturday night), after the last official activities? I booked my flight to come back on Saturday evening, but it looks like a lot of people are planning to stay till Sunday. Are you guys going to... do anything fun? Uh, can I come? (JK) I'm just wondering whether it's worth changing my flight ($100 change fee - reduced fare on Sunday compared to Saturday = $58)




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests