Michigan Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
sanguar
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby sanguar » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:32 pm

@MissLucky and Veginator (and anyone else already buying their computers): are you planning on taking out the additional loan to cover the cost of the computer? I was under the impression that, to take out the loan, the purchase had to be made within 30 days of the start of classes (so that it could be counted as an expense for the upcoming school year). I'd be delighted if I'm wrong(mostly b/c my wife hates her netbook and is anxious to inherit my laptop when I get my new one, but also b/c I like shiny new things. Thinking that I had to wait also meant that I couldn't buy through the U-M Showcase sale since the sale ends August 2nd just a few days before the 30-day line.

Thanks!

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby Deuce » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:20 am

Called up the ticket office for season tickets yesterday, got waitlisted. Familiar feeling.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby Tanicius » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:25 am

Scum bag Deuce. Gets waitlisted by ticket office. Smiles and tells them to withdraw him from the pool because he got a scholly at a T-10.

User avatar
vegenator
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:41 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby vegenator » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:14 pm

sanguar wrote:@MissLucky and Veginator (and anyone else already buying their computers): are you planning on taking out the additional loan to cover the cost of the computer? I was under the impression that, to take out the loan, the purchase had to be made within 30 days of the start of classes (so that it could be counted as an expense for the upcoming school year). I'd be delighted if I'm wrong(mostly b/c my wife hates her netbook and is anxious to inherit my laptop when I get my new one, but also b/c I like shiny new things. Thinking that I had to wait also meant that I couldn't buy through the U-M Showcase sale since the sale ends August 2nd just a few days before the 30-day line.

Thanks!


Hmmm hadn't thought about the loan issue if you buy through the preview, since I am not taking out additional loans for the computer. Sorry I can't be much help in that regard.

User avatar
agora139
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby agora139 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:19 pm

hi everyone! so i've heard that our section assignments are somehow available (although they have a small chance of changing). where are they listed?

also, when will an official booklist be released? i'd really like to buy my books used online before i get into ann arbor if at all possible (def can't afford bookstore prices).

thanks, and sorry if these have been asked before!

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby NZA » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:22 pm

agora139 wrote:hi everyone! so i've heard that our section assignments are somehow available (although they have a small chance of changing). where are they listed?

also, when will an official booklist be released? i'd really like to buy my books used online before i get into ann arbor if at all possible (def can't afford bookstore prices).

thanks, and sorry if these have been asked before!

Hmm...I just checked Wolverine Access, it doesn't have any info on "My Class Schedule." :?

User avatar
mblueyahoo!
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:08 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby mblueyahoo! » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:09 pm

NZA wrote:
agora139 wrote:hi everyone! so i've heard that our section assignments are somehow available (although they have a small chance of changing). where are they listed?

also, when will an official booklist be released? i'd really like to buy my books used online before i get into ann arbor if at all possible (def can't afford bookstore prices).

thanks, and sorry if these have been asked before!

Hmm...I just checked Wolverine Access, it doesn't have any info on "My Class Schedule." :?


Yeah, I don't think they release section info until early August.

Also, I hear it's pretty difficult to get out of buying sticker[ish] price for the first round of casebooks. They don't let you know what you'll need until orientation and they can switch you at will until the first day of classes. You might be a bit screwed on that front, friend.

edit: we're all a bit screwed on that front.

User avatar
agora139
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby agora139 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:26 pm

mblueyahoo! wrote:
NZA wrote:
agora139 wrote:hi everyone! so i've heard that our section assignments are somehow available (although they have a small chance of changing). where are they listed?

also, when will an official booklist be released? i'd really like to buy my books used online before i get into ann arbor if at all possible (def can't afford bookstore prices).

thanks, and sorry if these have been asked before!

Hmm...I just checked Wolverine Access, it doesn't have any info on "My Class Schedule." :?


Yeah, I don't think they release section info until early August.

Also, I hear it's pretty difficult to get out of buying sticker[ish] price for the first round of casebooks. They don't let you know what you'll need until orientation and they can switch you at will until the first day of classes. You might be a bit screwed on that front, friend.

edit: we're all a bit screwed on that front.


grrr..what about summer starters? wouldn't they know at least some of the books that we'll need? or does it vary by professor.

User avatar
Joan Hollaway
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:07 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby Joan Hollaway » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:42 pm

mblueyahoo! wrote:
NZA wrote:
agora139 wrote:hi everyone! so i've heard that our section assignments are somehow available (although they have a small chance of changing). where are they listed?

also, when will an official booklist be released? i'd really like to buy my books used online before i get into ann arbor if at all possible (def can't afford bookstore prices).

thanks, and sorry if these have been asked before!

Hmm...I just checked Wolverine Access, it doesn't have any info on "My Class Schedule." :?


Yeah, I don't think they release section info until early August.

Also, I hear it's pretty difficult to get out of buying sticker[ish] price for the first round of casebooks. They don't let you know what you'll need until orientation and they can switch you at will until the first day of classes. You might be a bit screwed on that front, friend.

edit: we're all a bit screwed on that front.


A lot of us 2Ls will be around during 1L orientation and I think you guys will be on the listserv at that point so it shouldn't be difficult to buy used books if that's what you want to do.

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby goodolgil » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:18 am

Yes, buy my books!

User avatar
math101
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby math101 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:13 am

There is actually a way to see which books are required for each class, but without knowing your section assignment, it's impossible to know which books to buy (because, yes, unfortunately they vary by professor). The directions are here: http://www.law.umich.edu/currentstudents/studentservices/handbook/acadprog/Pages/BuyingBooks.aspx

I did, however, use that search feature to get a rough approximation of how much the books will set me back to help me figure out my budget.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:03 am

There was at least one person who had their section switched during orientation this year.

User avatar
agora139
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby agora139 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:41 pm

goodolgil wrote:Yes, buy my books!

I WILL!

thanks for the help!

also, wait. so are preliminary section assignment up already or no?

die Zauberflote
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby die Zauberflote » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:14 pm

What are the options for internet/phone/cable service? I'd rather not use ATT if I have a choice.

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby Deuce » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:30 pm

Where do you send final UG transcripts? Can't find it anywhere...

User avatar
whirledpeas86
Posts: 1393
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:07 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby whirledpeas86 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:34 pm

Deuce wrote:Where do you send final UG transcripts? Can't find it anywhere...

I just sent it to the address listed at the bottom of the u mich law website and it got there okay, so I assume that was right?

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby NZA » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:38 pm

whirledpeas86 wrote:
Deuce wrote:Where do you send final UG transcripts? Can't find it anywhere...

I just sent it to the address listed at the bottom of the u mich law website and it got there okay, so I assume that was right?

I sent mine to the Admissions Office, and they received it.

User avatar
er doctor
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:35 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby er doctor » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:03 pm

Hi all Fall Starters! Since we're a little less than a month away from Orientation with no idea what sections we will end up in, I decided to work up the class schedules for each of the sections just to get an idea of what the schedules might look like. There is no schedule available for Legal Practice Skills so these schedules are not complete, but I decided to share just in case anon else was getting OCD about school.

Of note, every one of the sections has at least one class on Monday and on Friday, so it looks like no three-day weekends this year :(

http://gallery.me.com/mcasner/100011

User avatar
Entchen
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby Entchen » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:47 pm

er doctor wrote:Hi all Fall Starters! Since we're a little less than a month away from Orientation with no idea what sections we will end up in, I decided to work up the class schedules for each of the sections just to get an idea of what the schedules might look like. There is no schedule available for Legal Practice Skills so these schedules are not complete, but I decided to share just in case anon else was getting OCD about school.

Of note, every one of the sections has at least one class on Monday and on Friday, so it looks like no three-day weekends this year :(

http://gallery.me.com/mcasner/100011


Legal Practice skills isn't an actual class, no need to worry about that.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:04 pm

Entchen! How are law school classes going?

User avatar
Entchen
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby Entchen » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:00 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Entchen! How are law school classes going?


Good! Ann Arbor is fantastic :D Torts is really fun (although it has made me mildly afraid to touch anything or anyone ever). And all my schoolmates are delightful. So, overall, definitely a win.

How's life, Bils?

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:10 pm

Entchen wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Entchen! How are law school classes going?


Good! Ann Arbor is fantastic :D Torts is really fun (although it has made me mildly afraid to touch anything or anyone ever). And all my schoolmates are delightful. So, overall, definitely a win.

How's life, Bils?

Life is good. I'm moving to Ithaca tomorrow and classes start in 3 weeks so I'm just trying to enjoy the last days of summer.

laughsalot06
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:37 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby laughsalot06 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:44 pm

I'll be living in the Lawyer's Club and was wondering what everyone was doing for parking. I want to bring my car for trips home/use every once in a while. Does anyone know somewhere to park for use every once in a while. My UG had a "lot" that you could take a bus to if you wanted to essentially store your car there for limited use. Does Michigan have anything like this? Has anyone found a cheap place to park?

marklg89
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby marklg89 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:55 pm

Hi all, first post in this wonderful thread. I looked briefly through the pages, but couldn't find anything about the chances of getting football season tickets off the waitlist. I was in Europe while they were on sale, and they were obviously sold out in the first couple of hours. Am I and all the unfortunate souls who are in the same boat virtually screwed out of football season (short of paying outragous prices for single-game tix)?

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby Deuce » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:57 pm

marklg89 wrote:Hi all, first post in this wonderful thread. I looked briefly through the pages, but couldn't find anything about the chances of getting football season tickets off the waitlist. I was in Europe while they were on sale, and they were obviously sold out in the first couple of hours. Am I and all the unfortunate souls who are in the same boat virtually screwed out of football season (short of paying outragous prices for single-game tix)?


I just got in off the waitlist, again. Go Blue baby




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest