Michigan Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby thelaststraw05 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:41 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
jrose5 wrote:And not enough reason for me to choose Michigan over Duke (trying to bring the topic back to Mich since this IS the Mich thread, after all).


NLJ250 data: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=148674
Chicago 58.97%
Cornell 58.33%
Columbia 55.20%
Penn 53.31%
Harvard 49.74%
Virginia 46.79%
Berkeley 45.61%
Northwestern 44.37%
NYU 43.27%
Michigan 42.47%
Stanford 41.62%
Duke 38.03%
Georgetown 37.58%
UCLA 35.14%
Yale 33.84%
BC 33.58%
BU 30.00%
Vanderbilt 29.81%
USC 28.72%

75% of Duke graduates end up in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, South Atlantic, or South.

I can't find the same number for Michigan, but the graduates do appear on the map to be pretty spread out:
http://www.law.umich.edu/careers/factsa ... tions.aspx


Ehhh, I wouldn't want to go to Cornell over Michigan or Duke.

Edit: Also, to answer the question, I think one of the things you should look at is the markets that each provides better access to. If you think you might want to work in the South, Duke might be a better option while UM would be better for Chicago and the Midwest and maybe California. If you have ties to one of those regions, the school in the other can also give you more geographic mobility.


I certainly wasn't making the whole case about why to go to Duke. Just adding another possible reason.

jrose5
Posts: 660
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby jrose5 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:46 pm

IMO, it all boils down to what kind of environment is best suited for your personality. Besides minor regional differences in reputation, Duke and Michigan do not seem to differ greatly in terms of job prospects. While Duke has more of a small town feel to it, Michigan is a culturally diverse college town.

...and that's the problem. I like them both. A lot.

I assume it's slightly cheaper to live in Durham than Ann Arbor, but Ann Arbor offers great public transportation while at Duke, you'd need a car.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:57 pm

jrose5 wrote:IMO, it all boils down to what kind of environment is best suited for your personality. Besides minor regional differences in reputation, Duke and Michigan do not seem to differ greatly in terms of job prospects. While Duke has more of a small town feel to it, Michigan is a culturally diverse college town.

...and that's the problem. I like them both. A lot.

I assume it's slightly cheaper to live in Durham than Ann Arbor, but Ann Arbor offers great public transportation while at Duke, you'd need a car.


I agree if you like one over the other that is the right choice or if you prefer certain regions to others. Michigan is actually a tiny bit cheaper according to the student budget but based on the one for UMD, these numbers might as well be completely random. I just really liked the school more and wanted to open up another potential market for myself.

http://www.law.duke.edu/admis/tuition

--LinkRemoved--

emmbar53
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby emmbar53 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:20 am

jrose5 wrote:IMO, it all boils down to what kind of environment is best suited for your personality. Besides minor regional differences in reputation, Duke and Michigan do not seem to differ greatly in terms of job prospects. While Duke has more of a small town feel to it, Michigan is a culturally diverse college town.

...and that's the problem. I like them both. A lot.

I assume it's slightly cheaper to live in Durham than Ann Arbor, but Ann Arbor offers great public transportation while at Duke, you'd need a car.


Haven't read through all the posts, so sorry if this has been mentioned...but, I love the fact that your handle is "jrose5" and you are debating Michigan vs. Duke. Jalen would not be happy with this debate.

jrose5
Posts: 660
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby jrose5 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:31 am

emmbar53 wrote:
jrose5 wrote:IMO, it all boils down to what kind of environment is best suited for your personality. Besides minor regional differences in reputation, Duke and Michigan do not seem to differ greatly in terms of job prospects. While Duke has more of a small town feel to it, Michigan is a culturally diverse college town.

...and that's the problem. I like them both. A lot.

I assume it's slightly cheaper to live in Durham than Ann Arbor, but Ann Arbor offers great public transportation while at Duke, you'd need a car.


Haven't read through all the posts, so sorry if this has been mentioned...but, I love the fact that your handle is "jrose5" and you are debating Michigan vs. Duke. Jalen would not be happy with this debate.


LOL. I noticed that too. Total coincidence.

Jalen would not be happy with this debate? Try Grant Hill. I don't think HE'D be happy with this debate. (Loved his NYTimes op-ed response to Rose).

MissLucky
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:48 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby MissLucky » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:50 pm

hey I don't mean to double post - but i just asked this is the ASW II thread - is there a reading assignment for the upcoming ASW II? I feel like there was one for ASW, no? thnks!

dabbadon8
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby dabbadon8 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:13 pm

MissLucky wrote:hey I don't mean to double post - but i just asked this is the ASW II thread - is there a reading assignment for the upcoming ASW II? I feel like there was one for ASW, no? thnks!


The reading assignment was literally two paragraphs. wouldn't worry, most people read it at lunch before the mock class.

MissLucky
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:48 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby MissLucky » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:15 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:
MissLucky wrote:hey I don't mean to double post - but i just asked this is the ASW II thread - is there a reading assignment for the upcoming ASW II? I feel like there was one for ASW, no? thnks!


The reading assignment was literally two paragraphs. wouldn't worry, most people read it at lunch before the mock class.


ohhh nice. how was the cold calling?

dabbadon8
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby dabbadon8 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:21 pm

MissLucky wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:
MissLucky wrote:hey I don't mean to double post - but i just asked this is the ASW II thread - is there a reading assignment for the upcoming ASW II? I feel like there was one for ASW, no? thnks!


The reading assignment was literally two paragraphs. wouldn't worry, most people read it at lunch before the mock class.


ohhh nice. how was the cold calling?


It was more of a speech then a class. The professor spoke about the nature of what they aka law school, is trying to accomplish. He called on two people for some basic facts. I wouldn't worry about it at all, even if you hadn't read it you could skim the appropriate paragraph and answer quickly. It isn't really a class. Just have fun while your there and talk to as many people students and other wise to get a feel for the place. They are trying to sell you not scare you.

User avatar
dcwumpus
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby dcwumpus » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:54 am

I just couldn't stand to see our thread drop to the fourth page.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:28 am

I am withdrawing today. Hope you guys have a wonderful time in AA!

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:28 am

dcwumpus wrote:I just couldn't stand to see our thread drop to the fourth page.


BTW your tar makes me grind my teeth. :mrgreen:

User avatar
dcwumpus
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby dcwumpus » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:02 pm

r6_philly wrote:
dcwumpus wrote:I just couldn't stand to see our thread drop to the fourth page.


BTW your tar makes me grind my teeth. :mrgreen:


I picked the most annoying thing I could think of.

User avatar
math101
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby math101 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:15 pm

dcwumpus wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
dcwumpus wrote:I just couldn't stand to see our thread drop to the fourth page.


BTW your tar makes me grind my teeth. :mrgreen:


I picked the most annoying thing I could think of.


That tar gets me every time!

philly, have you decided on where you're going? has your new cycle been all you expected it to be versus your last? (PM if you don't want to answer publicly.)

User avatar
whathojeeves
Posts: 489
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:39 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby whathojeeves » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:17 pm

r6_philly wrote:I am withdrawing today. Hope you guys have a wonderful time in AA!


WAH -- no more philly!

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:21 pm

math101 wrote:philly, have you decided on where you're going? has your new cycle been all you expected it to be versus your last? (PM if you don't want to answer publicly.)


Have not decided, but I know I am going to withdraw from Michigan and Duke, and off the WL at Cornell and Chicago. Ruling some out as I go.

This cycle has been satisfactory. I think most of my objectives were met, aside from the ding from Yale. Could still work out above expectations though, fingers crossed :)

I think reapplying turned out great. Funny thing is I really would probably have gone to Michigan if I could have, didn't really want to wait the year truthfully, but it worked out in the end.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:22 pm

whathojeeves wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I am withdrawing today. Hope you guys have a wonderful time in AA!


WAH -- no more philly!


We still have a date outside of NYU in a few days :lol:

User avatar
whathojeeves
Posts: 489
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:39 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby whathojeeves » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:01 pm

r6_philly wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I am withdrawing today. Hope you guys have a wonderful time in AA!


WAH -- no more philly!


We still have a date outside of NYU in a few days :lol:


True that

User avatar
inchristalone
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 10:45 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby inchristalone » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:36 am

Today is the day I set foot on Michigan's campus as an admitted student. I'm having flashbacks to the keychain I got when I was five. It was maize and blue and had one button on it, which, when pressed, would ring out Hail To The Victors. It's been a long time coming.

Happy Preview Weekend to everyone else headed to UofM today!

User avatar
dcwumpus
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby dcwumpus » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:09 pm

inchristalone wrote:Today is the day I set foot on Michigan's campus as an admitted student. I'm having flashbacks to the keychain I got when I was five. It was maize and blue and had one button on it, which, when pressed, would ring out Hail To The Victors. It's been a long time coming.

Happy Preview Weekend to everyone else headed to UofM today!


Tear.

DHB
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:03 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby DHB » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:32 pm

I wasn't able to attend Preview Weekend, but I'm visiting next week. Does anyone who attended have any highlights to share?

User avatar
er doctor
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:35 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby er doctor » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:39 pm

DHB wrote:I wasn't able to attend Preview Weekend, but I'm visiting next week. Does anyone who attended have any highlights to share?


There's actually a couple of good comments in the Michigan ASWII thread under law school visits but just my impression:

Every is nice. Almost too nice, like they were going to ask us all to drink the Kool-Aid. But in the end I think it was truly sincere (just to give an example - Dean Z almost started crying at the closing remarks when she was talking about admitting such intelligent people and watching them go on to do such wonderful things)

The facilities are amazing just like you would imagine. The new building (opening next January) looks just as amazing.

The best part of the weekend was undoubtedly the professors - personable, friendly, and fiendishly intelligent. You could tell that they really loved teaching but were also at the top of their fields. There is such a breadth of subject matters available - I actually want to take Prof. Pritchard's Securities Law class even though it's a subject matter that is about 180 degrees from where I will be going with my law career.

In the end, I think deciding on a law school is really a personal matter and you need to choose the school that's right for you. I don't see Michigan being a bad decision for anyone.

Happy to answer any specific questions, too.

Oh and BTW had a couple of excellent meals here, and some very good local beer. So much for my plan to go to school and lose weight.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:42 pm

er doctor wrote:
DHB wrote:I wasn't able to attend Preview Weekend, but I'm visiting next week. Does anyone who attended have any highlights to share?


There's actually a couple of good comments in the Michigan ASWII thread under law school visits but just my impression:

Every is nice. Almost too nice, like they were going to ask us all to drink the Kool-Aid. But in the end I think it was truly sincere (just to give an example - Dean Z almost started crying at the closing remarks when she was talking about admitting such intelligent people and watching them go on to do such wonderful things)

The facilities are amazing just like you would imagine. The new building (opening next January) looks just as amazing.

The best part of the weekend was undoubtedly the professors - personable, friendly, and fiendishly intelligent. You could tell that they really loved teaching but were also at the top of their fields. There is such a breadth of subject matters available - I actually want to take Prof. Pritchard's Securities Law class even though it's a subject matter that is about 180 degrees from where I will be going with my law career.

In the end, I think deciding on a law school is really a personal matter and you need to choose the school that's right for you. I don't see Michigan being a bad decision for anyone.

Happy to answer any specific questions, too.

Oh and BTW had a couple of excellent meals here, and some very good local beer. So much for my plan to go to school and lose weight.


You'd be surprised what a ton of coffee will do to you. l've lost 15 lbs so far 1L year and eat like shit fairly often...and don't exercise.

User avatar
er doctor
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:35 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby er doctor » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:46 pm

blowhard wrote:
er doctor wrote:
DHB wrote:I wasn't able to attend Preview Weekend, but I'm visiting next week. Does anyone who attended have any highlights to share?


There's actually a couple of good comments in the Michigan ASWII thread under law school visits but just my impression:

Every is nice. Almost too nice, like they were going to ask us all to drink the Kool-Aid. But in the end I think it was truly sincere (just to give an example - Dean Z almost started crying at the closing remarks when she was talking about admitting such intelligent people and watching them go on to do such wonderful things)

The facilities are amazing just like you would imagine. The new building (opening next January) looks just as amazing.

The best part of the weekend was undoubtedly the professors - personable, friendly, and fiendishly intelligent. You could tell that they really loved teaching but were also at the top of their fields. There is such a breadth of subject matters available - I actually want to take Prof. Pritchard's Securities Law class even though it's a subject matter that is about 180 degrees from where I will be going with my law career.

In the end, I think deciding on a law school is really a personal matter and you need to choose the school that's right for you. I don't see Michigan being a bad decision for anyone.

Happy to answer any specific questions, too.

Oh and BTW had a couple of excellent meals here, and some very good local beer. So much for my plan to go to school and lose weight.


You'd be surprised what a ton of coffee will do to you. l've lost 15 lbs so far 1L year and eat like shit fairly often...and don't exercise.


LOL I'm an ER doctor...I long ago replaced my bloodstream with coffee, and that has done nothing for my waistline. I think I might need to get off my ass and work out once in a while.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:51 pm

er doctor wrote:
blowhard wrote:
er doctor wrote:
DHB wrote:I wasn't able to attend Preview Weekend, but I'm visiting next week. Does anyone who attended have any highlights to share?


There's actually a couple of good comments in the Michigan ASWII thread under law school visits but just my impression:

Every is nice. Almost too nice, like they were going to ask us all to drink the Kool-Aid. But in the end I think it was truly sincere (just to give an example - Dean Z almost started crying at the closing remarks when she was talking about admitting such intelligent people and watching them go on to do such wonderful things)

The facilities are amazing just like you would imagine. The new building (opening next January) looks just as amazing.

The best part of the weekend was undoubtedly the professors - personable, friendly, and fiendishly intelligent. You could tell that they really loved teaching but were also at the top of their fields. There is such a breadth of subject matters available - I actually want to take Prof. Pritchard's Securities Law class even though it's a subject matter that is about 180 degrees from where I will be going with my law career.

In the end, I think deciding on a law school is really a personal matter and you need to choose the school that's right for you. I don't see Michigan being a bad decision for anyone.

Happy to answer any specific questions, too.

Oh and BTW had a couple of excellent meals here, and some very good local beer. So much for my plan to go to school and lose weight.


You'd be surprised what a ton of coffee will do to you. l've lost 15 lbs so far 1L year and eat like shit fairly often...and don't exercise.


LOL I'm an ER doctor...I long ago replaced my bloodstream with coffee, and that has done nothing for my waistline. I think I might need to get off my ass and work out once in a while.


I was a cop for 10 years and had similarly changed over. I took 3 weeks completely off caffeine over the summer and only ramped back up...maxing at 3 large cups a day, which had a much large effect after the detox. Only thing I've changed so seems to be the cause of the weight loss...




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest