Michigan Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
dabbadon8
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby dabbadon8 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:51 pm

artichoke wrote:So this is probably common knowledge but does anyone know what the typical UMich law student does over the summer after their first year?


I have a feeling it is probably something unpaid and public interest/juicial. Some may do SA's at smaller firms especially in their home markets. This is just the impression I got from speaking to people at ASW, but definitely not sure.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:28 pm

artichoke wrote:So this is probably common knowledge but does anyone know what the typical UMich law student does over the summer after their first year?


There's really not an answer to that question. A lot of people have great government jobs, some people are working for firms, some people are doing some pretty interesting public interest stuff, and a number of people I know are working for federal judges.

I can say that the Michigan name will get you far in your 1L summer job search.

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby holydonkey » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:58 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
artichoke wrote:So this is probably common knowledge but does anyone know what the typical UMich law student does over the summer after their first year?
There's really not an answer to that question. A lot of people have great government jobs, some people are working for firms, some people are doing some pretty interesting public interest stuff, and a number of people I know are working for federal judges.

I can say that the Michigan name will get you far in your 1L summer job search.
+1. I'm interning with a judge and he didn't even ask to see my transcript in the interview.

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby NZA » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:59 pm

holydonkey wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
artichoke wrote:So this is probably common knowledge but does anyone know what the typical UMich law student does over the summer after their first year?
There's really not an answer to that question. A lot of people have great government jobs, some people are working for firms, some people are doing some pretty interesting public interest stuff, and a number of people I know are working for federal judges.

I can say that the Michigan name will get you far in your 1L summer job search.
+1. I'm interning with a judge and he didn't even ask to see my transcript in the interview.

This probably sounds like a dumb question, but where do people go? To the city the eventually want to practice in? Home? Stay in Ann Arbor? :?

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby holydonkey » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:03 am

NZA wrote:
holydonkey wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
artichoke wrote:So this is probably common knowledge but does anyone know what the typical UMich law student does over the summer after their first year?
There's really not an answer to that question. A lot of people have great government jobs, some people are working for firms, some people are doing some pretty interesting public interest stuff, and a number of people I know are working for federal judges.

I can say that the Michigan name will get you far in your 1L summer job search.
+1. I'm interning with a judge and he didn't even ask to see my transcript in the interview.

This probably sounds like a dumb question, but where do people go? To the city the eventually want to practice in? Home? Stay in Ann Arbor? :?
Depends on the person. All over really. I know folks going to DC, NYC, Boston, SF, LA, St. Louis, New Orleans, Japan, etc.

Generally people will pick a place based on 1) the opportunity, 2) the cost of living there - do you know someone there to stay with, 3) if they're interested in developing ties to the market.

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby artichoke » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:15 am

Thanks for all the responses! VERY helpful. So the job you take in the summer after 1L, could that eventually end up leading you to your job after graduation? Or is that more the job you have in the summer at 2L? Do a lot of people use their 1L summer to get a job for their 2L summer, or do people generally do something different?

Thanks again :)

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby Helmholtz » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:48 am

artichoke wrote:Thanks for all the responses! VERY helpful. So the job you take in the summer after 1L, could that eventually end up leading you to your job after graduation? Or is that more the job you have in the summer at 2L? Do a lot of people use their 1L summer to get a job for their 2L summer, or do people generally do something different?

Thanks again :)


Some 1L summer jobs lead to further employment, but that's not going to be a strong possibility for the huge majority of the 1L summer jobs that people have. Your 2L summer job has much more of a chance to land you something post-graduation. A lot of people use their 1L summers to explore a field of law they find interesting, to get some hands-on experience with the law, to build contacts, to be able to put down a legal job on their resume, to show interest in a given field to future employers (e.g. if you want to do public interest, but have no pre-LS public interest experience, 1L summer might be a good time to pick that up), to get some good "legal stories" that you can tell during OCI, etc., etc., etc.

Generally, don't sweat 1L summer too much. If you're proactive, you should be able to find some really interesting legal work that serves you well later on; but really, it's not going to make or break you (unless maybe you spend the entire summer doing nothing even remotely law-related, which would throw some red flags up). Every single 2L or 3L I talked to about 1L summer told me that they've never heard of somebody just not being able to find some kind of legal work.

User avatar
pixytree
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby pixytree » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:08 am

NikaneOkie wrote:I have a question for this forum. I love Michigan, really really love Michigan... but I really like Stanford too.
If you had $$ at Michigan, and Stanford, what would you do?

Looking for some honest advice. Thanks so much! =)


also, 100 posts!


Any other pros/cons so far? Might help to have a little more info on where you're at in your considerations. Either school have a program you're especially interested in?

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby artichoke » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:13 am

Helmholtz wrote:
artichoke wrote:Thanks for all the responses! VERY helpful. So the job you take in the summer after 1L, could that eventually end up leading you to your job after graduation? Or is that more the job you have in the summer at 2L? Do a lot of people use their 1L summer to get a job for their 2L summer, or do people generally do something different?

Thanks again :)


Some 1L summer jobs lead to further employment, but that's not going to be a strong possibility for the huge majority of the 1L summer jobs that people have. Your 2L summer job has much more of a chance to land you something post-graduation. A lot of people use their 1L summers to explore a field of law they find interesting, to get some hands-on experience with the law, to build contacts, to be able to put down a legal job on their resume, to show interest in a given field to future employers (e.g. if you want to do public interest, but have no pre-LS public interest experience, 1L summer might be a good time to pick that up), to get some good "legal stories" that you can tell during OCI, etc., etc., etc.

Generally, don't sweat 1L summer too much. If you're proactive, you should be able to find some really interesting legal work that serves you well later on; but really, it's not going to make or break you (unless maybe you spend the entire summer doing nothing even remotely law-related, which would throw some red flags up). Every single 2L or 3L I talked to about 1L summer told me that they've never heard of somebody just not being able to find some kind of legal work.


Whew, I feel relieved knowing I don't have to worry about figuring out exactly what kind of law I want to practice and where I want to practice in my first year. Thanks for the detailed response!

User avatar
agora139
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby agora139 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:32 pm

random question: anyone know about general merit aid scholarships applying or not applying towards semesters spent studying abroad?

InvictusFortis
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:38 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby InvictusFortis » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:34 pm

agora139 wrote:random question: anyone know about general merit aid scholarships applying or not applying towards semesters spent studying abroad?


They apply to studying abroad.

User avatar
itzjulz
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:54 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby itzjulz » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:28 pm

Hi everyone! Congrats on choosing Michigan! I don't spend much time posting here lately, but I'm a 2L and am happy to answer any questions you might have. I thought I'd post today in case there were any summer starters looking for a summer sublet!

My apartment will be available from early/mid-may through mid/late august. The apartment is a 1 bedroom w/ private bathroom located in a converted house, approximately a 3 (yes, THREE) minute walk from the law school, near Packard and Hill. The small kitchen and living space are combined, but the bedroom is fairly large. The apartment will be furnished, including a queen sized bed, window AC unit, small LCD TV, futon, two desks, dresser, bookshelves, kitchen utensils, etc. No laundry on-site, but at least one parking space will be included (possibly more depending on other summer tenants). Asking $450/mo + electric (I currently pay $700. Electric bill ranges from $30-$80 depending on how much you run the AC. Cable/internet would be at your own expense.)

Please PM me if you are interested, and I'd be happy to send you pictures or more information. If you're going to be at the next preview weekend, I'd be happy to give you a quick tour.

Thanks =)

MissLucky
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:48 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby MissLucky » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:27 pm

what can we expect from these alumni receptions?

User avatar
Excellence = a Habit
Posts: 1021
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:52 pm

I love Michigan. In the midst of my freaking out about my lack of a merit aid offer from Penn, I get a sunny email from Dean Z that begins "Happy Monday!" and reminds me about the NYC reception tonight. Just what I needed to remind me that I already have one awesome school that gave me a generous aid package about three months ago.

MissLucky wrote:what can we expect from these alumni receptions?


Judging from the Penn Law reception I attended last month, free food, free wine and beer, awkward conversation with school administrators and alumni, slightly less awkward conversations with other students considering the school.

User avatar
dcwumpus
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby dcwumpus » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:54 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:I love Michigan. In the midst of my freaking out about my lack of a merit aid offer from Penn, I get a sunny email from Dean Z that begins "Happy Monday!" and reminds me about the NYC reception tonight. Just what I needed to remind me that I already have one awesome school that gave me a generous aid package about three months ago.

MissLucky wrote:what can we expect from these alumni receptions?


Judging from the Penn Law reception I attended last month, free food, free wine and beer, awkward conversation with school administrators and alumni, slightly less awkward conversations with other students considering the school.


Were all the guys in suits? I really don't wanna wear a suit.

User avatar
Excellence = a Habit
Posts: 1021
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:58 pm

dcwumpus wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:I love Michigan. In the midst of my freaking out about my lack of a merit aid offer from Penn, I get a sunny email from Dean Z that begins "Happy Monday!" and reminds me about the NYC reception tonight. Just what I needed to remind me that I already have one awesome school that gave me a generous aid package about three months ago.

MissLucky wrote:what can we expect from these alumni receptions?


Judging from the Penn Law reception I attended last month, free food, free wine and beer, awkward conversation with school administrators and alumni, slightly less awkward conversations with other students considering the school.


Were all the guys in suits? I really don't wanna wear a suit.


There was a mix. You definitely don't need to wear a suit, but something nicer than jeans would be good. Perhaps a button down with a nice v-neck sweater and khakis.

User avatar
dcwumpus
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby dcwumpus » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:59 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
dcwumpus wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:I love Michigan. In the midst of my freaking out about my lack of a merit aid offer from Penn, I get a sunny email from Dean Z that begins "Happy Monday!" and reminds me about the NYC reception tonight. Just what I needed to remind me that I already have one awesome school that gave me a generous aid package about three months ago.

MissLucky wrote:what can we expect from these alumni receptions?


Judging from the Penn Law reception I attended last month, free food, free wine and beer, awkward conversation with school administrators and alumni, slightly less awkward conversations with other students considering the school.


Were all the guys in suits? I really don't wanna wear a suit.


There was a mix. You definitely don't need to wear a suit, but something nicer than jeans would be good. Perhaps a button down with a nice v-neck sweater and khakis.


That I can do. Thanks!

MissLucky
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:48 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby MissLucky » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:05 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:I love Michigan. In the midst of my freaking out about my lack of a merit aid offer from Penn, I get a sunny email from Dean Z that begins "Happy Monday!" and reminds me about the NYC reception tonight. Just what I needed to remind me that I already have one awesome school that gave me a generous aid package about three months ago.

MissLucky wrote:what can we expect from these alumni receptions?


Judging from the Penn Law reception I attended last month, free food, free wine and beer, awkward conversation with school administrators and alumni, slightly less awkward conversations with other students considering the school.


haha nice - so there isn't a talk or anything? just a mingle session really?

User avatar
Excellence = a Habit
Posts: 1021
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:51 pm

MissLucky wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:I love Michigan. In the midst of my freaking out about my lack of a merit aid offer from Penn, I get a sunny email from Dean Z that begins "Happy Monday!" and reminds me about the NYC reception tonight. Just what I needed to remind me that I already have one awesome school that gave me a generous aid package about three months ago.

MissLucky wrote:what can we expect from these alumni receptions?


Judging from the Penn Law reception I attended last month, free food, free wine and beer, awkward conversation with school administrators and alumni, slightly less awkward conversations with other students considering the school.


haha nice - so there isn't a talk or anything? just a mingle session really?


Mmmm, at the Penn Law reception the host (an alum who had donated the space at his firm for the night) spoke for a few minutes about how wonderful Penn is. And the Dean of Admissions said a few words. But it was overall very much a mingle session. Michigan could be different - that would be kind of nice.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:54 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:Mmmm, at the Penn Law reception the host (an alum who had donated the space at his firm for the night) spoke for a few minutes about how wonderful Penn is. And the Dean of Admissions said a few words. But it was overall very much a mingle session. Michigan could be different - that would be kind of nice.


No it's exactly like that. Free food and drinks and young associates getting plastered :lol:

User avatar
whathojeeves
Posts: 489
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:39 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby whathojeeves » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:58 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:Mmmm, at the Penn Law reception the host (an alum who had donated the space at his firm for the night) spoke for a few minutes about how wonderful Penn is. And the Dean of Admissions said a few words. But it was overall very much a mingle session. Michigan could be different - that would be kind of nice.


No it's exactly like that. Free food and drinks and young associates getting plastered :lol:


Dean Z is super nice! Try and chat with her!

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:59 pm

whathojeeves wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:Mmmm, at the Penn Law reception the host (an alum who had donated the space at his firm for the night) spoke for a few minutes about how wonderful Penn is. And the Dean of Admissions said a few words. But it was overall very much a mingle session. Michigan could be different - that would be kind of nice.


No it's exactly like that. Free food and drinks and young associates getting plastered :lol:


Dean Z is super nice! Try and chat with her!


It was always hard to catch her because too many wants to talk to her. But yes she is awesome to chat with. I had a great time when I went.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:04 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:Mmmm, at the Penn Law reception the host (an alum who had donated the space at his firm for the night) spoke for a few minutes about how wonderful Penn is. And the Dean of Admissions said a few words. But it was overall very much a mingle session. Michigan could be different - that would be kind of nice.


No it's exactly like that. Free food and drinks and young associates getting plastered :lol:

Well I'm glad I'm going then :)

bendurnotes4me
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:36 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby bendurnotes4me » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:33 am

So I got a Michigan financial aid email today (where you have to go through wolverine etc) and it only has loan information on it. Does that mean I didn't get a merit scholarship? Or is that separate/later? :-(

dabbadon8
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby dabbadon8 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:36 am

bendurnotes4me wrote:So I got a Michigan financial aid email today (where you have to go through wolverine etc) and it only has loan information on it. Does that mean I didn't get a merit scholarship? Or is that separate/later? :-(


If it didn't show up you don't have it, at least yet. If you got accepted recently you may have hope. Your loan info will also show up in mail and money on the ASW. If you have a merit offer it will show up there or in the mail.




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest