Michigan Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby NZA » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:38 pm

er doctor wrote:
NZA wrote:
er doctor wrote:Hey all looking for a little advice here. I am VERY interested in attending Michigan but my partner is tied to a job here in Chicago. We are discussing the issues of maintaining a long distance relationship and like to know if anyone else out there is contemplating the same.

I would appreciate any and all input.

Thanks

How long have you and your partner been together?


7.5 years

God damn dude. That's a third of my life! :lol:

If you two have been together that long, I'm sure you'll do fine. It'll be hard, sure, but in life is ever easy?

User avatar
er doctor
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:35 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby er doctor » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:36 pm

NZA wrote:
er doctor wrote:
NZA wrote:
er doctor wrote:Hey all looking for a little advice here. I am VERY interested in attending Michigan but my partner is tied to a job here in Chicago. We are discussing the issues of maintaining a long distance relationship and like to know if anyone else out there is contemplating the same.

I would appreciate any and all input.

Thanks

How long have you and your partner been together?


7.5 years

God damn dude. That's a third of my life! :lol:

If you two have been together that long, I'm sure you'll do fine. It'll be hard, sure, but in life is ever easy?


I am so looking forward to everyone in school letting me know how old I am. In return, I promise to start every sentence with "back when i was your age...."

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby NZA » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:37 pm

er doctor wrote:I am so looking forward to everyone in school letting me know how old I am. In return, I promise to start every sentence with "back when i was your age...."

:lol: You're just more accomplished than most of us! Think of it that way.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:18 am

er doctor wrote:
I am so looking forward to everyone in school letting me know how old I am. In return, I promise to start every sentence with "back when i was your age...."


Eh, Michigan's class tends to trend a little older. There are several this year that have PHDs...not to mention the vets (I'm one) which are older. And a few second career business people. I see one guy with a backpack that looks to be in his early/mid-50s.

InvictusFortis
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:38 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby InvictusFortis » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:46 am

er doctor wrote:Hey all looking for a little advice here. I am VERY interested in attending Michigan but my partner is tied to a job here in Chicago. We are discussing the issues of maintaining a long distance relationship and like to know if anyone else out there is contemplating the same.

I would appreciate any and all input.

Thanks


Chicago to AA is not that bad. If you have a trusting relationship you can swing the 8 months of school for three years. However, it will put a strain on your relationship. But, after the three years, you'll really have a feel for what your future together will be. Good luck!

wyst89
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby wyst89 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:27 am

Hi. I'm still awaiting word—older applicant, Ph.D., late application. In any case, if I do get in—and I'll be in AA if I do!—my partner will be remaining in NYC. It's very doable, I think. I have a friend on the Michigan faculty whose Other Half has been in NO and Boston for the past 15+ years. And they've certainly done just fine. Hope to be joining the conversation soon. All digits crossed!

srvyorgeneral
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:39 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby srvyorgeneral » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:39 am

InvictusFortis wrote:
er doctor wrote:Hey all looking for a little advice here. I am VERY interested in attending Michigan but my partner is tied to a job here in Chicago. We are discussing the issues of maintaining a long distance relationship and like to know if anyone else out there is contemplating the same.

I would appreciate any and all input.

Thanks


Chicago to AA is not that bad. If you have a trusting relationship you can swing the 8 months of school for three years. However, it will put a strain on your relationship. But, after the three years, you'll really have a feel for what your future together will be. Good luck!


ER - I'm getting married this summer (5 year relationship) and am contemplating 3 years of Washington DC/AA long distance. Not ideal, I can assure you. We had a long talk last night about it (one of many) and I know it will definitely put a strain on the relationship, but I think we're willing to make it work. I have a ton of friends who have successfully done the long distance thing. Hard for me to determine whether I should take GULC-PT over UMich full time, especially since my life is here in DC. But I'm worried that work+PT Law School might be just as straining as trying to make it work long distance.

tamlyric
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby tamlyric » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:43 am

Hey all,

Just want to second what Blowhard said about the number of "older," married, or partnered students here. If we play our cards right, we might just take over this place. More seriously, though, I think Michigan is a very friendly place for all comers.

Look forward to meeting you all this summer or fall. :D

Cheers!

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:59 am

srvyorgeneral wrote:
InvictusFortis wrote:
er doctor wrote:Hey all looking for a little advice here. I am VERY interested in attending Michigan but my partner is tied to a job here in Chicago. We are discussing the issues of maintaining a long distance relationship and like to know if anyone else out there is contemplating the same.

I would appreciate any and all input.

Thanks


Chicago to AA is not that bad. If you have a trusting relationship you can swing the 8 months of school for three years. However, it will put a strain on your relationship. But, after the three years, you'll really have a feel for what your future together will be. Good luck!


ER - I'm getting married this summer (5 year relationship) and am contemplating 3 years of Washington DC/AA long distance. Not ideal, I can assure you. We had a long talk last night about it (one of many) and I know it will definitely put a strain on the relationship, but I think we're willing to make it work. I have a ton of friends who have successfully done the long distance thing. Hard for me to determine whether I should take GULC-PT over UMich full time, especially since my life is here in DC. But I'm worried that work+PT Law School might be just as straining as trying to make it work long distance.


I'm also looking at DC to AA for all three years. There was also the idea for me that having to say, "No, I can't hang out right now... I'm studying." Might be a strain if I stayed in DC for law school. I would have to turn down spending time with my wife on a regular basis.

You and I should definitely talk about carpooling to and from Michigan for breaks so that we can save money by not doing airfare.

InvictusFortis
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:38 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby InvictusFortis » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:40 am

Michigan support and unity ftw!
Last edited by InvictusFortis on Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PiersonVee
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:33 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby PiersonVee » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:53 am

tamlyric wrote:Hey all,

Just want to second what Blowhard said about the number of "older," married, or partnered students here. If we play our cards right, we might just take over this place. More seriously, though, I think Michigan is a very friendly place for all comers.

Look forward to meeting you all this summer or fall. :D

Cheers!

Hey, I haven't been on TLS for a while, but it looks like there are a few married students considering Michigan. I am a married 2L, and my wife and I love it in Ann Arbor. If anyone has any questions, just let me know.

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:16 am

I'm having some difficulty finding deposit information, can anyone help me out?

I know for fall-start the first deposit is due April 30 and the second deposit is due in mid-June.

I have written down that it is a $300 deposit in April, but I don't know where I got that number and whether the June deposit is the same amount.

User avatar
dcwumpus
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby dcwumpus » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:21 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:I'm having some difficulty finding deposit information, can anyone help me out?

I know for fall-start the first deposit is due April 30 and the second deposit is due in mid-June.

I have written down that it is a $300 deposit in April, but I don't know where I got that number and whether the June deposit is the same amount.


The info should be in your admit letter.

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:29 pm

dcwumpus wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:I'm having some difficulty finding deposit information, can anyone help me out?

I know for fall-start the first deposit is due April 30 and the second deposit is due in mid-June.

I have written down that it is a $300 deposit in April, but I don't know where I got that number and whether the June deposit is the same amount.


The info should be in your admit letter.


Thanks.

Who is watching the game? Michigan is playing pretty well.

User avatar
dcwumpus
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby dcwumpus » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:34 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
dcwumpus wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:I'm having some difficulty finding deposit information, can anyone help me out?

I know for fall-start the first deposit is due April 30 and the second deposit is due in mid-June.

I have written down that it is a $300 deposit in April, but I don't know where I got that number and whether the June deposit is the same amount.


The info should be in your admit letter.


Thanks.

Who is watching the game? Michigan is playing pretty well.


My bracket is so far gone - I can't stand to watch any of it anymore. Especially after my Spartans lost. :(

wolverine2014
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:40 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby wolverine2014 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:42 pm

dcwumpus wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
dcwumpus wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:I'm having some difficulty finding deposit information, can anyone help me out?

I know for fall-start the first deposit is due April 30 and the second deposit is due in mid-June.

I have written down that it is a $300 deposit in April, but I don't know where I got that number and whether the June deposit is the same amount.


The info should be in your admit letter.


Thanks.

Who is watching the game? Michigan is playing pretty well.


My bracket is so far gone - I can't stand to watch any of it anymore. Especially after my Spartans lost. :(


I'm doing just fine...especially after I predicted a Spartans loss. 8)

User avatar
dcwumpus
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby dcwumpus » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:02 pm

wolverine2014 wrote:I'm doing just fine...especially after I predicted a Spartans loss. 8)


WELL CONGRATULATIONS.

:) Yeah, it has not been a good season for us.

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:06 pm

dcwumpus wrote:
wolverine2014 wrote:I'm doing just fine...especially after I predicted a Spartans loss. 8)


WELL CONGRATULATIONS.

:) Yeah, it has not been a good season for us.


Sorry for bringing up such a sore topic.

User avatar
twelda
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:45 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby twelda » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:15 pm

dcwumpus wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:I'm having some difficulty finding deposit information, can anyone help me out?

I know for fall-start the first deposit is due April 30 and the second deposit is due in mid-June.

I have written down that it is a $300 deposit in April, but I don't know where I got that number and whether the June deposit is the same amount.


The info should be in your admit letter.


Is it $300 per deposit, for a total of $600?

I will also chime in that if I go to Michigan it will probably be long-distance for me with my boyfriend in CA. Yikes.

User avatar
agora139
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby agora139 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:24 pm

twelda wrote:
dcwumpus wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:I'm having some difficulty finding deposit information, can anyone help me out?

I know for fall-start the first deposit is due April 30 and the second deposit is due in mid-June.

I have written down that it is a $300 deposit in April, but I don't know where I got that number and whether the June deposit is the same amount.


The info should be in your admit letter.


Is it $300 per deposit, for a total of $600?

I will also chime in that if I go to Michigan it will probably be long-distance for me with my boyfriend in CA. Yikes.


on a semi-related note, the deadline to accept merit aid is the same as the general deposit deadline, right?

User avatar
yoitsmebenny
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby yoitsmebenny » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:58 pm

agora139 wrote:
twelda wrote:
dcwumpus wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:I'm having some difficulty finding deposit information, can anyone help me out?

I know for fall-start the first deposit is due April 30 and the second deposit is due in mid-June.

I have written down that it is a $300 deposit in April, but I don't know where I got that number and whether the June deposit is the same amount.


The info should be in your admit letter.


Is it $300 per deposit, for a total of $600?

I will also chime in that if I go to Michigan it will probably be long-distance for me with my boyfriend in CA. Yikes.


on a semi-related note, the deadline to accept merit aid is the same as the general deposit deadline, right?

What has to be done to accept merit aid?

jrose5
Posts: 660
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby jrose5 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:35 pm

As nice as that faculty viewbook was, I'm not sure how this is really supposed to sway me towards Michigan. Perhaps they should have just sent it to deposited students over the summer. It was really just a plethora of information, too much to make sense of. Dividing the faculty up by department would have been more helpful, too. Overall, I don't think it was a great idea.

User avatar
NikaneOkie
Posts: 216
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:39 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby NikaneOkie » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:17 pm

I have a question for this forum. I love Michigan, really really love Michigan... but I really like Stanford too.
If you had $$ at Michigan, and Stanford, what would you do?

Looking for some honest advice. Thanks so much! =)


also, 100 posts!

User avatar
Reinhardt
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 2:27 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby Reinhardt » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:37 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:I have a question for this forum. I love Michigan, really really love Michigan... but I really like Stanford too.
If you had $$ at Michigan, and Stanford, what would you do?

Looking for some honest advice. Thanks so much! =)

also, 100 posts!


I've only attended Michigan, but based on my idealized view of Stanford, I'd go there with only $60k from Mich. No need-based money from them?

Oops. Politically correct Michigan student answer: They're both great schools! Listen to your heart!

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby artichoke » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:44 pm

So this is probably common knowledge but does anyone know what the typical UMich law student does over the summer after their first year?




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest