Michigan Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
buckilaw

Silver

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Post by buckilaw » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:05 am

Summer starter here. Tagging the thread, still can't believe I'm in.

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:11 am

VERY likely Ann Arbor is where I will end up.
Hoping for some mmoonneeeyyy.

baby diego

New

Post by baby diego » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:58 pm

I'm summer starting too. Anyone know of any threads with current students subletting for the summer?

kingrichardx

New

Post by kingrichardx » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:47 pm

summer starter here as well.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:18 am

baby diego wrote:I'm summer starting too. Anyone know of any threads with current students subletting for the summer?
Summer starter ED. Some current students said if we wait until near the end of spring semester there are very good deals on sublets. Apparently the law school has its own advertising thing but students wont start posting much yet. I don't think there are any threads on here (yet) but according to the mod/admin thread they are working on a for sale forum or something.
Last edited by AreJay711 on Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ziggie

Bronze

Post by ziggie » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:22 am

Summer starter, woohoo!! We get to enjoy some warm weather in Ann Arbor :) !

wiseguy33

Bronze

Post by wiseguy33 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:28 am

Asking again b/c no one responded. Anyone near an 11/11 completion date get in via ASW (or otherwise) yet?

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:20 am

wiseguy33 wrote:Asking again b/c no one responded. Anyone near an 11/11 completion date get in via ASW (or otherwise) yet?
you mean first completion date?
because it updates like every day
it was exactly one month for me from a few days before 11/11 and I got in via ASW.

artichoke

Silver

Post by artichoke » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:15 am

ziggie wrote:Summer starter, woohoo!! We get to enjoy some warm weather in Ann Arbor :) !
If you have never been there in the summer then trust me, it is NOT pleasant. Oppressively hot and muggy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:19 am

artichoke wrote:
ziggie wrote:Summer starter, woohoo!! We get to enjoy some warm weather in Ann Arbor :) !
If you have never been there in the summer then trust me, it is NOT pleasant. Oppressively hot and muggy.
I dont think so...
I mean it can get into the high nineties but last year it was 80s to 70s almost every day-- perfection

ziggie

Bronze

Post by ziggie » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:23 am

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
artichoke wrote:
I dont think so...
I mean it can get into the high nineties but last year it was 80s to 70s almost every day-- perfection
I'll find a way to enjoy it 8)

artichoke

Silver

Post by artichoke » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:25 am

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
artichoke wrote:
I dont think so...
Perfection would be 70-80's and bordering lake Michigan. Being stuck in the middle of the state in that kind of weather is torture, in my opinion.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:25 am

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
artichoke wrote:
I dont think so...
DC was in the 90's most of the summer and cracked 100 at least once as there is certainly never a lack of humidity. Actually the mid 80's were the 5AM LOW for a couple weeks. I worked construction so i felt it -- at worst it will be only a slight improvement.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:26 am

artichoke wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:
artichoke wrote:
I dont think so...
Perfection would be 70-80's and bordering lake Michigan. Being stuck in the middle of the state in that kind of weather is torture, in my opinion.
I live on a lake and only visited a few times so its very possible I have the wrong impression of the summer weather...

artichoke

Silver

Post by artichoke » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:33 am

AreJay711 wrote: DC was in the 90's most of the summer and cracked 100 at least once as there is certainly never a lack of humidity. Actually the mid 80's were the 5AM LOW for a couple weeks. I worked construction so i felt it -- at worst it will be only a slight improvement.
Well, I am definitely comparing AA to my hometown, which is not a fair fight because my hometown is perfection. i.e. I am not making a claim about AA as it relates to OTHER places, which means my original comment can probably be disregarded by most.

AEM2010

New

Post by AEM2010 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:18 am

Just got my packet last night! Looks like as of May 31st, I'll officially be a wolverine!

TheStrand

Bronze

Post by TheStrand » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:22 pm

Summer start here with a quick question: why is it that they encourage people to just sublet first if they are summer starters? Aren't leases usually 1 year so don't we want one that would begin and end when the semester ends (i.e. Mayish)? Plus, not having to move twice would seem like a plus. Apologies if this has been asked and answered.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wildcathighfive

Bronze

Post by wildcathighfive » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:53 pm

TheStrand wrote:Summer start here with a quick question: why is it that they encourage people to just sublet first if they are summer starters? Aren't leases usually 1 year so don't we want one that would begin and end when the semester ends (i.e. Mayish)? Plus, not having to move twice would seem like a plus. Apologies if this has been asked and answered.

I think that advice is more geared to people who want to live in the Lawyer's Club...otherwise, I don't see why you wouldn't try to get a place with a May lease--you're right, that makes more sense.

NikaneOkie

Bronze

Post by NikaneOkie » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:53 pm

Hi everyone!
I have two questions, if you don't mind.

1. Do you think I could use a big scholarship from UVA and Cornell to get Michigan to give me some money? I don't know how much they're willing to give me at this point, but I like Michigan a lot.
2. Should lawyer's club be my first choice for living arrangements in the fall?

Thank you!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:46 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:Hi everyone!
I have two questions, if you don't mind.

1. Do you think I could use a big scholarship from UVA and Cornell to get Michigan to give me some money? I don't know how much they're willing to give me at this point, but I like Michigan a lot.
Prob no.
2. Should lawyer's club be my first choice for living arrangements in the fall?

Thank you!
Depends on what you want. The biggest draw is being close to the law school (although during finals week, most people I've talked to seem to think this is the biggest drawback right now) and meeting new people easier. In general, the biggest negative thing is essentially living in a dorm/eating in a cafeteria for nine months (shared showers, tiring menu choices, etc.).

Some 1L's swear by it, other hate it. This is coming from somebody who decided not to do it, so with a grain of salt, etc.

NikaneOkie

Bronze

Post by NikaneOkie » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:39 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Depends on what you want. The biggest draw is being close to the law school (although during finals week, most people I've talked to seem to think this is the biggest drawback right now) and meeting new people easier. In general, the biggest negative thing is essentially living in a dorm/eating in a cafeteria for nine months (shared showers, tiring menu choices, etc.).

Some 1L's swear by it, other hate it. This is coming from somebody who decided not to do it, so with a grain of salt, etc.
How young are you? Do you think the difference would/should be based upon whether I'm 22 when I go to law school or 24?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:11 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

How young are you? Do you think the difference would/should be based upon whether I'm 22 when I go to law school or 24?
Don't want to give away my age for personal reasons, but I'm between 21 and 24 and straight from UG. It probably more depends on what kind of living situation you had before LS (how many years between UG and LS, where you lived for UG, etc.) than your age.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:23 pm

Helmholtz wrote: It probably more depends on what kind of living situation you had before LS (how many years between UG and LS, where you lived for UG, etc.) than your age.
Hmmm, I'm torn. I lived on campus then in my own place in undergrad then back on campus for two years to be an RA (for both freshman and upperclassmen) and get free housing. The biggest difference I've noticed is more maturity than anything else. I'd rather share a bathroom with 20 ppl that clean up after themselves and act like civilized human beings than 3 freshmen. That said, having my own bathroom is the best. One thing that might tip it is not being able to have a car even if it isn't necessary in Ann Arbor.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:26 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote: It probably more depends on what kind of living situation you had before LS (how many years between UG and LS, where you lived for UG, etc.) than your age.
Hmmm, I'm torn. I lived on campus then in my own place in undergrad then back on campus for two years to be an RA (for both freshman and upperclassmen) and get free housing. The biggest difference I've noticed is more maturity than anything else. I'd rather share a bathroom with 20 ppl that clean up after themselves and act like civilized human beings than 3 freshmen. That said, having my own bathroom is the best. One thing that might tip it is not being able to have a car even if it isn't necessary in Ann Arbor.
I know people in the Lawyer's Club who have cars, but they're paying a ridiculous amount for parking.

I decided not to bring a car in Ann Arbor and to be honest, there are times that it's really sucked, although classmates are typically pretty great about offering to give rides to things.

wildcathighfive

Bronze

Post by wildcathighfive » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:56 pm

Luckiest thing ever: my little brother is an undergrad who will be living in a house next year with an extra parking spot. like two blocks away from the lawyer's club. i feel blessed.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”