Michigan Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby buckilaw » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:05 am

Summer starter here. Tagging the thread, still can't believe I'm in.

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:11 am

VERY likely Ann Arbor is where I will end up.
Hoping for some mmoonneeeyyy.

User avatar
baby diego
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 11:07 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby baby diego » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:58 pm

I'm summer starting too. Anyone know of any threads with current students subletting for the summer?

kingrichardx
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:21 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby kingrichardx » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:47 pm

summer starter here as well.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:18 am

baby diego wrote:I'm summer starting too. Anyone know of any threads with current students subletting for the summer?


Summer starter ED. Some current students said if we wait until near the end of spring semester there are very good deals on sublets. Apparently the law school has its own advertising thing but students wont start posting much yet. I don't think there are any threads on here (yet) but according to the mod/admin thread they are working on a for sale forum or something.
Last edited by AreJay711 on Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ziggie
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:29 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby ziggie » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:22 am

Summer starter, woohoo!! We get to enjoy some warm weather in Ann Arbor :) !

User avatar
wiseguy33
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:53 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby wiseguy33 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:28 am

Asking again b/c no one responded. Anyone near an 11/11 completion date get in via ASW (or otherwise) yet?

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:20 am

wiseguy33 wrote:Asking again b/c no one responded. Anyone near an 11/11 completion date get in via ASW (or otherwise) yet?


you mean first completion date?
because it updates like every day
it was exactly one month for me from a few days before 11/11 and I got in via ASW.

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby artichoke » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:15 am

ziggie wrote:Summer starter, woohoo!! We get to enjoy some warm weather in Ann Arbor :) !


If you have never been there in the summer then trust me, it is NOT pleasant. Oppressively hot and muggy.

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:19 am

artichoke wrote:
ziggie wrote:Summer starter, woohoo!! We get to enjoy some warm weather in Ann Arbor :) !


If you have never been there in the summer then trust me, it is NOT pleasant. Oppressively hot and muggy.


I dont think so...
I mean it can get into the high nineties but last year it was 80s to 70s almost every day-- perfection

User avatar
ziggie
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:29 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby ziggie » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:23 am

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
artichoke wrote:
ziggie wrote:Summer starter, woohoo!! We get to enjoy some warm weather in Ann Arbor :) !


If you have never been there in the summer then trust me, it is NOT pleasant. Oppressively hot and muggy.


I dont think so...
I mean it can get into the high nineties but last year it was 80s to 70s almost every day-- perfection


I'll find a way to enjoy it 8)

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby artichoke » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:25 am

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
artichoke wrote:
ziggie wrote:Summer starter, woohoo!! We get to enjoy some warm weather in Ann Arbor :) !


If you have never been there in the summer then trust me, it is NOT pleasant. Oppressively hot and muggy.


I dont think so...
I mean it can get into the high nineties but last year it was 80s to 70s almost every day-- perfection


Perfection would be 70-80's and bordering lake Michigan. Being stuck in the middle of the state in that kind of weather is torture, in my opinion.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:25 am

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
artichoke wrote:
ziggie wrote:Summer starter, woohoo!! We get to enjoy some warm weather in Ann Arbor :) !


If you have never been there in the summer then trust me, it is NOT pleasant. Oppressively hot and muggy.


I dont think so...
I mean it can get into the high nineties but last year it was 80s to 70s almost every day-- perfection

DC was in the 90's most of the summer and cracked 100 at least once as there is certainly never a lack of humidity. Actually the mid 80's were the 5AM LOW for a couple weeks. I worked construction so i felt it -- at worst it will be only a slight improvement.

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:26 am

artichoke wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:
artichoke wrote:
ziggie wrote:Summer starter, woohoo!! We get to enjoy some warm weather in Ann Arbor :) !


If you have never been there in the summer then trust me, it is NOT pleasant. Oppressively hot and muggy.


I dont think so...
I mean it can get into the high nineties but last year it was 80s to 70s almost every day-- perfection


Perfection would be 70-80's and bordering lake Michigan. Being stuck in the middle of the state in that kind of weather is torture, in my opinion.


I live on a lake and only visited a few times so its very possible I have the wrong impression of the summer weather...

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby artichoke » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:33 am

AreJay711 wrote:DC was in the 90's most of the summer and cracked 100 at least once as there is certainly never a lack of humidity. Actually the mid 80's were the 5AM LOW for a couple weeks. I worked construction so i felt it -- at worst it will be only a slight improvement.


Well, I am definitely comparing AA to my hometown, which is not a fair fight because my hometown is perfection. i.e. I am not making a claim about AA as it relates to OTHER places, which means my original comment can probably be disregarded by most.

AEM2010
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:02 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby AEM2010 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:18 am

Just got my packet last night! Looks like as of May 31st, I'll officially be a wolverine!

TheStrand
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:53 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby TheStrand » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:22 pm

Summer start here with a quick question: why is it that they encourage people to just sublet first if they are summer starters? Aren't leases usually 1 year so don't we want one that would begin and end when the semester ends (i.e. Mayish)? Plus, not having to move twice would seem like a plus. Apologies if this has been asked and answered.

wildcathighfive
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:11 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby wildcathighfive » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:53 pm

TheStrand wrote:Summer start here with a quick question: why is it that they encourage people to just sublet first if they are summer starters? Aren't leases usually 1 year so don't we want one that would begin and end when the semester ends (i.e. Mayish)? Plus, not having to move twice would seem like a plus. Apologies if this has been asked and answered.



I think that advice is more geared to people who want to live in the Lawyer's Club...otherwise, I don't see why you wouldn't try to get a place with a May lease--you're right, that makes more sense.

User avatar
NikaneOkie
Posts: 216
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:39 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby NikaneOkie » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:53 pm

Hi everyone!
I have two questions, if you don't mind.

1. Do you think I could use a big scholarship from UVA and Cornell to get Michigan to give me some money? I don't know how much they're willing to give me at this point, but I like Michigan a lot.
2. Should lawyer's club be my first choice for living arrangements in the fall?

Thank you!

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:46 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:Hi everyone!
I have two questions, if you don't mind.

1. Do you think I could use a big scholarship from UVA and Cornell to get Michigan to give me some money? I don't know how much they're willing to give me at this point, but I like Michigan a lot.


Prob no.

2. Should lawyer's club be my first choice for living arrangements in the fall?

Thank you!


Depends on what you want. The biggest draw is being close to the law school (although during finals week, most people I've talked to seem to think this is the biggest drawback right now) and meeting new people easier. In general, the biggest negative thing is essentially living in a dorm/eating in a cafeteria for nine months (shared showers, tiring menu choices, etc.).

Some 1L's swear by it, other hate it. This is coming from somebody who decided not to do it, so with a grain of salt, etc.

User avatar
NikaneOkie
Posts: 216
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:39 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby NikaneOkie » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:39 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Depends on what you want. The biggest draw is being close to the law school (although during finals week, most people I've talked to seem to think this is the biggest drawback right now) and meeting new people easier. In general, the biggest negative thing is essentially living in a dorm/eating in a cafeteria for nine months (shared showers, tiring menu choices, etc.).

Some 1L's swear by it, other hate it. This is coming from somebody who decided not to do it, so with a grain of salt, etc.


How young are you? Do you think the difference would/should be based upon whether I'm 22 when I go to law school or 24?

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:11 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Depends on what you want. The biggest draw is being close to the law school (although during finals week, most people I've talked to seem to think this is the biggest drawback right now) and meeting new people easier. In general, the biggest negative thing is essentially living in a dorm/eating in a cafeteria for nine months (shared showers, tiring menu choices, etc.).

Some 1L's swear by it, other hate it. This is coming from somebody who decided not to do it, so with a grain of salt, etc.


How young are you? Do you think the difference would/should be based upon whether I'm 22 when I go to law school or 24?


Don't want to give away my age for personal reasons, but I'm between 21 and 24 and straight from UG. It probably more depends on what kind of living situation you had before LS (how many years between UG and LS, where you lived for UG, etc.) than your age.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:23 pm

Helmholtz wrote: It probably more depends on what kind of living situation you had before LS (how many years between UG and LS, where you lived for UG, etc.) than your age.


Hmmm, I'm torn. I lived on campus then in my own place in undergrad then back on campus for two years to be an RA (for both freshman and upperclassmen) and get free housing. The biggest difference I've noticed is more maturity than anything else. I'd rather share a bathroom with 20 ppl that clean up after themselves and act like civilized human beings than 3 freshmen. That said, having my own bathroom is the best. One thing that might tip it is not being able to have a car even if it isn't necessary in Ann Arbor.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:26 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote: It probably more depends on what kind of living situation you had before LS (how many years between UG and LS, where you lived for UG, etc.) than your age.


Hmmm, I'm torn. I lived on campus then in my own place in undergrad then back on campus for two years to be an RA (for both freshman and upperclassmen) and get free housing. The biggest difference I've noticed is more maturity than anything else. I'd rather share a bathroom with 20 ppl that clean up after themselves and act like civilized human beings than 3 freshmen. That said, having my own bathroom is the best. One thing that might tip it is not being able to have a car even if it isn't necessary in Ann Arbor.


I know people in the Lawyer's Club who have cars, but they're paying a ridiculous amount for parking.

I decided not to bring a car in Ann Arbor and to be honest, there are times that it's really sucked, although classmates are typically pretty great about offering to give rides to things.

wildcathighfive
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:11 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Postby wildcathighfive » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:56 pm

Luckiest thing ever: my little brother is an undergrad who will be living in a house next year with an extra parking spot. like two blocks away from the lawyer's club. i feel blessed.




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest