Michigan Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Helmholtz

Gold

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:47 pm

artichoke88 wrote:
Keep in mind that the admissions office keeps track of how often you try to log into that. They were not happy about it last year and had a list of people that were the worst offenders. Maybe try logging in every now and then, but persistent attempts are not worth the risk.

Also, good luck everybody. I've really enjoyed my time in A2 to so far and my classmates are pretty chill people who also happen to be incredibly smart (for the most part).

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:51 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
artichoke88 wrote:
Keep in mind that the admissions office keeps track of how often you try to log into that. They were not happy about it last year and had a list of people that were the worst offenders. Maybe try logging in every now and then, but persistent attempts are not worth the risk.

Also, good luck everybody. I've really enjoyed my time in A2 to so far and my classmates are pretty chill people who also happen to be incredibly smart (for the most part).
You have to be joking.. why would they even care??

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:52 pm

tkgrrett wrote: You have to be joking.. why would they even care??
I think that last year, it was reported they said something the effect of it showing that you're a little too neurotic for your own good. I don't have any firsthand experience. But I would like to say that up until knowing this, I checked it constantly, and it obviously didn't do me too much harm. I'm sure it's not that big of a deal, but I think it bogs down the system and probably doesn't portray you in the best light.

artichoke

Silver

Post by artichoke » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:01 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
I think that last year, it was reported they said something the effect of it showing that you're a little too neurotic for your own good. I don't have any firsthand experience.
I can't see how it would be fair to hold this against applicants, maybe some applicants just REALLY want to go to UMich.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:05 pm

artichoke88 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
I think that last year, it was reported they said something the effect of it showing that you're a little too neurotic for your own good. I don't have any firsthand experience.
I can't see how it would be fair to hold this against applicants, maybe some applicants just REALLY want to go to UMich.
I doubt they really hold it against you. I checked it incessantly until I found out that they were tracking and obviously, it didn't do much to hurt me. I do think it's an annoyance to them and as far as I can tell, it legitimately bogs down the system. If I could do it over again, I would have just played it safe and left well enough alone, maybe checking it once every few days.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:30 pm

Sorry, I probably opened pandora's box with the admitted students thing. From what I hear there were a few people checking it 20-30 times per day, which the admissions staff found pretty disconcerting. They only update the site once per day, so they were pretty perplexed by the endless checking.

Dean Z would definitely rather you'd find out via the (awesome) admissions packet they send out, and it probably is a lot more satisfying than getting this "backdoor" kind of notification. I'm sure if you were to check every few days it wouldn't be a big deal though.

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:40 pm

Does anyone know/expect when admission decisions are out? Is there a significant difference time wise between RD and ED?

vicuna

Bronze

Post by vicuna » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:27 pm

tbldc2009 wrote:Does anyone know/expect when admission decisions are out? Is there a significant difference time wise between RD and ED?
Last year the first batch was around 11/8. Both ED and RD decisions were sent out.

dbrddr

Bronze

Post by dbrddr » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:53 am

Complete since 10/6. Hope to be included in the first round of acceptances :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:20 am

vicuna wrote: Last year the first batch was around 11/8. Both ED and RD decisions were sent out.
Thanks. I didn't know Michigan is that early. Now, the anxiety begins.

artichoke

Silver

Post by artichoke » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:36 pm

By the way, a week or so ago UMich sent me an email asking for more information about what I've been doing since graduation, as I seem to have accidentally omitted that information on my resume, good sign or bad?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:00 pm

artichoke88 wrote:By the way, a week or so ago UMich sent me an email asking for more information about what I've been doing since graduation, as I seem to have accidentally omitted that information on my resume, good sign or bad?
I would say that it's a pretty good sign that you omitted information on your resume. Probably not much more than that.

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:07 pm

artichoke88 wrote:By the way, a week or so ago UMich sent me an email asking for more information about what I've been doing since graduation, as I seem to have accidentally omitted that information on my resume, good sign or bad?
Eek. Did you omit something?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

artichoke

Silver

Post by artichoke » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:15 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
I would say that it's a pretty good sign that you omitted information on your resume. Probably not much more than that.
yuk yuk.
plenipotentiary wrote:
Eek. Did you omit something?
Just some information about what I have been doing since graduation. Wondering if it's a good sign that they want to know more, rather than just rejecting me right away, or if it's a bad sign that they need to know more, rather than just accepting me right away.

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:20 pm

I guess it's good that they didn't just assume that you've been doing nothing!

artichoke

Silver

Post by artichoke » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:26 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:I guess it's good that they didn't just assume that you've been doing nothing!
Hah, good point.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:23 pm

artichoke88 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
yuk yuk.
It wasn't meant to be funny. On one hand, they probably think you don't know how to make a resume or cared enough to update it, but on the other hand, they decided to read your app and wanted to know more instead of just tossing it in the trash. Is it a good/bad sign? Probably neither, but if it is, who the hell on here would be able to tell you what the adcomm is thinking about your app?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:13 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Probably neither, but if it is, who the hell on here would be able to tell you what the adcomm is thinking about your app?
--ImageRemoved--

Muenchen

Silver

Post by Muenchen » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:47 pm

Last edited by Muenchen on Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:49 pm

seancooksey07 wrote:Image

This makes me really nervous for this next week. First waves coming soon?
If I get a Michigan letter in mid February I will lock myself in my room and burn it while crying

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:00 am

Paranoid question: Before submitting my app earlier this week, I called Michigan and asked if I could submit with one LOR processed and one on the way and have them hold off on reviewing my app until the second arrives. A very friendly and helpful admissions person told me that was a totally routine request and wouldn't be a problem. However, after submitting I emailed to confirm that this was alright and was told that they couldn't hold an application for an additional letter once it was complete, but that the apps typically take three to four weeks "to process," so my letter would be added to my file prior to review if it arrives relatively soon. Does this mean that it will take three to four weeks for my app to go complete and that I have all of that time to wait for the letter to get in? Or that it will take three to four weeks to render a decision? I thought I'd be fine, but now I'm very nervous that my app will only be reviewed with one (work supervisor) LOR. The email responder added that I could have my prof email them his letter to cut out waiting time, but I'm reluctant to bug him again.

In short, how long have people waited between submitting their application and receiving a decision?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sarcasticswede

New

Post by sarcasticswede » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:47 am

sgtgrumbles wrote:Paranoid question: Before submitting my app earlier this week, I called Michigan and asked if I could submit with one LOR processed and one on the way and have them hold off on reviewing my app until the second arrives. A very friendly and helpful admissions person told me that was a totally routine request and wouldn't be a problem. However, after submitting I emailed to confirm that this was alright and was told that they couldn't hold an application for an additional letter once it was complete, but that the apps typically take three to four weeks "to process," so my letter would be added to my file prior to review if it arrives relatively soon. Does this mean that it will take three to four weeks for my app to go complete and that I have all of that time to wait for the letter to get in? Or that it will take three to four weeks to render a decision? I thought I'd be fine, but now I'm very nervous that my app will only be reviewed with one (work supervisor) LOR. The email responder added that I could have my prof email them his letter to cut out waiting time, but I'm reluctant to bug him again.

In short, how long have people waited between submitting their application and receiving a decision?
Well, to the best of my knowledge none of us have received a decision yet. I submitted over two weeks ago and am still yet to get a status checker from them, just an email confirming that a status checker would be coming eventually. So you've definetely got time.

michigandrew

New

Post by michigandrew » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:06 pm

"Complete" in this sense means that your app is all in order and ready to be reviewed. So yes, you should have the three to four weeks for them to receive your LOR.

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:13 pm

Of all the schools I applied to it took Michigan longest to go 'complete'
They had everything but my transcripts since 9/07
They had my transcripts 10/20
It went complete for the first time TODAY.

What is UP with that? Oh well. Michigan I still love you. Admit us!!

RIPmitchhedberg

New

Post by RIPmitchhedberg » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:09 am

11/8. Hopefully admission season begins this week, just like last year!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”