Michigan Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
r6_philly

Diamond

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Post by r6_philly » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:02 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:How did you guys know how much scholly info you got? Is it online? Or is it by mail?
In ASW, under mail and money, there is a link for financial aid awards. If you have a scholarship letter sent to you, you will find the amount applied a day or two after the letter's mail date.

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:09 pm

How quickly does this amount show up? My letter was mailed last Saturday (went to my permanent address by accident).

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:12 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:How quickly does this amount show up? My letter was mailed last Saturday (went to my permanent address by accident).
Should be there already. I still haven't gotten my letter yet anyway, but the amount's been there for a week.

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:15 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:How quickly does this amount show up? My letter was mailed last Saturday (went to my permanent address by accident).
Should be there already. I still haven't gotten my letter yet anyway, but the amount's been there for a week.
Am I in the wrong place? I'm reading something about FAFSA not being filled out yet. I just find it difficult to believe that U of M would give me nothing...not being arrogant or anything, but just knowing how they operate.

TheStrand

Bronze

Post by TheStrand » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:41 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Am I in the wrong place? I'm reading something about FAFSA not being filled out yet. I just find it difficult to believe that U of M would give me nothing...not being arrogant or anything, but just knowing how they operate.
That should be it, underneath the FAFSA disclaimer, is it blank or does it say "no (zero?) awards found"? It's possible they just haven't input it yet if you just got your acceptance. Or try communications, it may say something about the date an award letter being mailed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:43 pm

TheStrand wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
That should be it, underneath the FAFSA disclaimer, is it blank or does it say "no (zero?) awards found"? It's possible they just haven't input it yet if you just got your acceptance. Or try communications, it may say something about the date an award letter being mailed.
Yeah I did just get it on the 31st so that's probably it.

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:31 pm

Do current students come to this thread? I want to love Michigan, and I need to know if they can compete with page 8: http://www.lawweekly.org/pdf_archives/20110128.pdf#p=8

rbarcelo9

Silver

Post by rbarcelo9 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:08 pm

Joining this thread! Seriously considering Michigan! Do they have any floor for $, can I use Berkeley acceptance (no money) for some money from Mich.? Even the slightest amount of money from Michigan would make them my clear #1. Either way I'm super excited about the acceptances and plan on going to the send preview weekend!

dabbadon8

Silver

Post by dabbadon8 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:15 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:Joining this thread! Seriously considering Michigan! Do they have any floor for $, can I use Berkeley acceptance (no money) for some money from Mich.? Even the slightest amount of money from Michigan would make them my clear #1. Either way I'm super excited about the acceptances and plan on going to the send preview weekend!
Berk is a peer school so I don't see you leveraging mich with an acceptance. You might get some money though. Check law school numbers for people with your #s to see what they got.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

forward

Bronze

Post by forward » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:22 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:
rbarcelo9 wrote:Joining this thread! Seriously considering Michigan! Do they have any floor for $, can I use Berkeley acceptance (no money) for some money from Mich.? Even the slightest amount of money from Michigan would make them my clear #1. Either way I'm super excited about the acceptances and plan on going to the send preview weekend!
Berk is a peer school so I don't see you leveraging mich with an acceptance. You might get some money though. Check law school numbers for people with your #s to see what they got.
Speaking of leveraging with acceptances: how do you do so? That is, what's the language/approach to take with admissions? CCN with Michigan, for example.

Frankie55

Bronze

Post by Frankie55 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:25 pm

I take it the people negotiating didn't receive anything, right? Because for those who did, I think Michigan indicated that they weren't willing to negotiate an award further upward. (Or are people not taking them at their word?)

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:28 pm

Frankie55 wrote:I take it the people negotiating didn't receive anything, right? Because for those who did, I think Michigan indicated that they weren't willing to negotiate an award further upward. (Or are people not taking them at their word?)
Interested in this as well.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:43 pm

neonx wrote:
Frankie55 wrote:I take it the people negotiating didn't receive anything, right? Because for those who did, I think Michigan indicated that they weren't willing to negotiate an award further upward. (Or are people not taking them at their word?)
Tried already, no budge at the moment. But I didn't submit competing offers - they didn't sound interested.

I am going to try again in a little, but I may give up if they don't even want to look at my other offers.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:54 pm

r6_philly wrote:
neonx wrote:
Tried already, no budge at the moment. But I didn't submit competing offers - they didn't sound interested.

I am going to try again in a little, but I may give up if they don't even want to look at my other offers.
What do you mean -- didn't "sound interested"? Did you get a generic reply to fill out FAFSA/Need Access?

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:52 am

So I take back the shit I was saying about Detroit earlier in this thread:

http://www.freep.com/article/20110207/O ... RONTPAGE|s

absolutazn87

Silver

Post by absolutazn87 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:12 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:So I take back the shit I was saying about Detroit earlier in this thread:

Yeah that "Imported from Detroit" Chrysler ad last night gave me chills. Chrysler still makes shit cars but...great ad!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKL254Y_jtc&hd=1

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:22 am

absolutazn87 wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:So I take back the shit I was saying about Detroit earlier in this thread:

Yeah that "Imported from Detroit" Chrysler ad last night gave me chills. Chrysler still makes shit cars but...great ad!

It was as much an ad for the city as it was an ad for the car. And that is what I loved about it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ejeric

New

Post by ejeric » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:36 am

Admitted over a week ago but no $$ letter -- does that mean no scholly, or do they send it later? Is it appropriate to follow up, and if so, when?
Thanks y'all.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:41 am

thelaststraw05 wrote: It was as much an ad for the city as it was an ad for the car. And that is what I loved about it.
It was emotionally striking, but it looks too damn cold.

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:53 am

Ad was powerful.....I still have no intention to visit.

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:24 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:
absolutazn87 wrote:

It was as much an ad for the city as it was an ad for the car. And that is what I loved about it.
I agree! The ad actually made me turn to my friends and say, "If I went to Michigan, then maybe after graduation I could work in Detroit!" (Career prospects aside, it made living in Detroit seem like a prospect worth entertaining for the first time in... ever.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheStrand

Bronze

Post by TheStrand » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:34 am

ejeric wrote:Admitted over a week ago but no $$ letter -- does that mean no scholly, or do they send it later? Is it appropriate to follow up, and if so, when?
Thanks y'all.
Check the admitted students website? There's a button near the bottom that says "Mail & Money"

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:00 pm

Is there anyone going to ASW from the west coast? It seems like the options are to leave Wednesday during the day and pay for a hotel the extra night or take the red eye Wednesday night and arrive Thursday morning. I don't want to have to spend the extra money, but I know I won't sleep on the plane and will probably be very tired and cranky on Thursday if I take the red eye.

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:14 pm

sarahh wrote:Is there anyone going to ASW from the west coast? It seems like the options are to leave Wednesday during the day and pay for a hotel the extra night or take the red eye Wednesday night and arrive Thursday morning. I don't want to have to spend the extra money, but I know I won't sleep on the plane and will probably be very tired and cranky on Thursday if I take the red eye.
I'm taking a red eye, as for me it's worth being able to work all day Weds. If you do it let me know maybe we can rideshare in from DTW?

artichoke

Silver

Post by artichoke » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:48 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
absolutazn87 wrote:

I agree! The ad actually made me turn to my friends and say, "If I went to Michigan, then maybe after graduation I could work in Detroit!" (Career prospects aside, it made living in Detroit seem like a prospect worth entertaining for the first time in... ever.)
Lol... This made me laugh :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”