Michigan Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
InvictusFortis

Bronze

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Post by InvictusFortis » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:49 pm

sharklasers wrote:
InvictusFortis wrote: Is this what three years of pent-up regret and dissatisfaction looks like?
Yes. And it's also you in three years, most likely. Three years ago, I was here posting brightly about MAP and shitting rainbows too.

Oh, and definitely bring your golf clubs. They'll give you something to look at when you're trapped in your tiny student apartment during the seven-month Michigan winter. Maybe you can combine them with a blanket and make a fort.
Maybe the fort will be the most productive thing I will accomplish while I'm there. What happened that made you this bitter, did you strike-out during OCI? Are you completely jobless?

sharklasers

New

Post by sharklasers » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:54 pm

InvictusFortis wrote:
Maybe the fort will be the most productive thing I will accomplish while I'm there. What happened that made you this bitter, did you strike-out during OCI? Are you completely jobless?
No, did very well. I have biglaw lined up. Just studying for the bar, which puts me in an antagonistic mood. A lot of my former classmates, even people above median, are right now deep in debt without a job and without much hope of a really good job. It depresses the shit out of me to see another X number of students (call it half of whatever class size they're admitting now) setting themselves up for the same treatment. Everybody's absolutely sure they're a unique case immune to the economy. But they're not. Hell, many of them don't even know what it looks like to be a lawyer or whether they'll enjoy it. And once the reality of the economic situation starts to set in, which happens about when 1L grades start to come in, even the most collegial law school in the T14 starts to be an unpleasant place.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:57 pm

sharklasers wrote:
InvictusFortis wrote:
No, did very well. I have biglaw lined up. Just studying for the bar, which puts me in an antagonistic mood. A lot of my former classmates, even people above median, are right now deep in debt without a job and without much hope of a really good job. It depresses the shit out of me to see another X number of students (call it half of whatever class size they're admitting now) setting themselves up for the same treatment. Everybody's absolutely sure they're a unique case immune to the economy. But they're not. Once the reality of the economic situation starts to set in, which happens about when 1L grades start to come in, even the most collegial law school in the T14 starts to be an unpleasant place.
FTR, sharklasers comes off way more bitter in these posts that most (if not all) of the 2/3Ls I've talked to.

sharklasers

New

Post by sharklasers » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:58 pm

blowhard wrote: FTR, sharklasers comes off way more bitter in these posts that most (if not all) of the 2/3Ls I've talked to.
If we talked in person, I'd be way more cheerful. It's hard to crush dreams face to face.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:01 pm

sharklasers wrote:
blowhard wrote: FTR, sharklasers comes off way more bitter in these posts that most (if not all) of the 2/3Ls I've talked to.
If we talked in person, I'd be way more cheerful. It's hard to crush dreams face to face.
Just trying to put your comments into perspective. Your class definitely got screwed, but don't want them thinking they are starting at a school full of depressed people. (Even if some are only faking it.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:15 pm

Speaking of OCI, sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there a list of firms that will be there?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:18 pm

NZA wrote:Speaking of OCI, sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there a list of firms that will be there?
It's in symplicity if you're a 2L. If you're just admitted, you can't see access it yet.

Edit: Are you looking to see if a specific firm is coming or general statistics?
Last edited by 03121202698008 on Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:19 pm

blowhard wrote:
NZA wrote:Speaking of OCI, sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there a list of firms that will be there?
It's in symplicity if you're a 2L. If you're just admitted, you can't see it yet.
Damn.

InvictusFortis

Bronze

Post by InvictusFortis » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:37 pm

NZA wrote:
blowhard wrote:
It's in symplicity if you're a 2L. If you're just admitted, you can't see it yet.
Damn.
With your login you can see which firms attended OCI last year

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:49 pm

InvictusFortis wrote:
NZA wrote:
blowhard wrote:
Damn.
Oh really? :) I don't know where to find that...

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:55 pm

InvictusFortis wrote:
NZA wrote:
blowhard wrote:
Damn.
If you're talking about the GPA profile, --LinkRemoved--, that's actually most of the firms from the past five years, not last year and not all of them.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:41 pm

sharklasers wrote:
Deuce wrote:I have no clue what map is... Should I?
No. Despite the stories your classmates will tell about making lifelong, lasting friendships and loving the opportunity to get to know other people, as people, at MAP, this doesn't matter because about two weeks into your second semester everyone is going to give up that bullshit and get out the long knives. After another 13 weeks of tight, fake smiles, and lackluster bar nights tarted up as mad bohemian adventures on Facebook, (1) you'll already be sorted into your caste according to the 1L summer work you get. By the time 2L OCI rolls around, about a year after MAP, you and all those kindred spirits will be history. (2) You'll be ready to gut each other if it means a shot at one of the dwindling number of summer associate slots at a firm that will actually commit to postgraduate employment. During 2L, you'll either avoid making awkward conversations with the people who didn't make it or (3) try to repair your credentials with bullshit resume lines like Campbell Moot Court. After that, 3L is just a glassy eyed wasteland where you try to forget some of the relationships you had, you avoid 1Ls, and you either bitch constantly with your few friends about how "nobody" can get a job or you just shut up, go through the motions, and look ahead to the day you can stop bleeding money and begin gainful employment. By the end of 3L, there's a greater than 50% chance that you'll be down to filling out surveys trying to warn 1Ls to leave now and posting about your penis on audoadmit. So, no, MAP isn't the thing you need to worry about.
(1) Not sure where you are getting this. I haven't the faintest idea what 1L jobs people got, and I really don't think anybody gives even the slightest of shits.
(2) Perhaps c/o 2011, but I didn't find this to be the case for my class at all. Obviously some people wanted firm jobs that didn't get them, and there were some hard feelings towards those few individuals who got them and lacked the self-awareness to not be douchebags about it, but those were definitely the exception.
(3) This part is true. People who don't get Law Review or XYZ journal often panic and think that throwing Campbell on is a good idea. It doesn't matter.

In any event, I'm sorry to hear you haven't enjoyed your experience. Your class really did get screwed timing-wise, but even still I think you're in the minority with these comments. Certainly 50% of the class isn't warning 1Ls to get out, and whatever number is doing that is decreasing with each progressive class after yours. Of the complaints that I have heard, the vast majority have not been directed towards Michigan in particular, but rather towards the practice of law in general.

sharklasers

New

Post by sharklasers » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:39 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:Certainly 50% of the class isn't warning 1Ls to get out, and whatever number is doing that is decreasing with each progressive class after yours. Of the complaints that I have heard, the vast majority have not been directed towards Michigan in particular, but rather towards the practice of law in general.
Your use of italics kind of makes me want to punch you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:42 am

sharklasers wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:Certainly 50% of the class isn't warning 1Ls to get out, and whatever number is doing that is decreasing with each progressive class after yours. Of the complaints that I have heard, the vast majority have not been directed towards Michigan in particular, but rather towards the practice of law in general.
Your use of italics kind of makes me want to punch you.
Sick bro.

artichoke

Silver

Post by artichoke » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:27 am

Comforting to hear I was not alone in my MAP rejection... At least this affords me another 4-5 days sunbathing on the beach! Congrats to all who got in :D

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:40 am

artichoke wrote:Comforting to hear I was not alone in my MAP rejection... At least this affords me another 4-5 days sunbathing on the beach! Congrats to all who got in :D
Come early and we'll have our own MAP. Michigan Awesome People.

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:13 pm

NZA wrote:
artichoke wrote:Comforting to hear I was not alone in my MAP rejection... At least this affords me another 4-5 days sunbathing on the beach! Congrats to all who got in :D
Michigan Alcohol Program? I'm game

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:26 pm

Deuce wrote:
NZA wrote:
Michigan Alcohol Program? I'm game
I like the way you think.

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:40 pm

about to order a MBPro...

should I purchase through the UMich sale site? (doesn't seem cheaper)/what have people purchasing new macs been doing? and are people bringing printers/what is the print situation like?

thanks!

umich website: http://showcase.itcs.umich.edu/item.php?cat=8&id=2079
mac website: http://store.apple.com/us/cart

these are the same right?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:39 pm

MissLucky wrote:about to order a MBPro...

should I purchase through the UMich sale site? (doesn't seem cheaper)/what have people purchasing new macs been doing? and are people bringing printers/what is the print situation like?

thanks!

You get like 600 pages a semester in the law school and unlimited free WestLaw/Lexis printing. Very few people I know of went over.

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:56 pm

blowhard wrote:

thanks!

You get like 600 pages a semester in the law school and unlimited free WestLaw/Lexis printing. Very few people I know of went over.
There's also unlimited printing in the period just before and during finals, I think.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:12 pm

oh NICe. thanks a lot!

vegenator

Bronze

Post by vegenator » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:04 am

blowhard wrote:

thanks!

I just got a mbpro - I went to the apple store at the briarwood mall in ann arbor, had them match the price listed for the u of m sale (which includes the three year warranty, whereas the price listed on the apple site doesn't).
So I got the laptop and 3 year apple care at apple for the same price (just showed them the u of m sale site with specs and prices listed, also showed them a copy of my acceptance letter to verify student status. The pros for going this way are that they activate the $100 iTunes gift card on the spot (I think you get a certificate you have to activate online if you order through u of m), plus right now apple's got a printer for $100 bucks with a $100 rebate they fill out for you at the store.
I'm not sure if you're in ann arbor yet, but I bet your local apple store would be just as helpful and willing to match prices.

whatshouldIdo11

New

Post by whatshouldIdo11 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:52 pm

Does anyone know what "no upholstered furniture" means on the Lawyers Club lease? For those of us with double suites, does that mean that we can't furnish our common area with a couch or recliner?

RTFM

Bronze

Post by RTFM » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:42 pm

whatshouldIdo11 wrote:Does anyone know what "no upholstered furniture" means on the Lawyers Club lease? For those of us with double suites, does that mean that we can't furnish our common area with a couch or recliner?
From reading previous posts, it seems like extra furniture might not be explicitly allowed, but no one checks.

To add to that, exactly what furniture is in the common area of the suite to begin with? (I know that I found this info somewhere at some point but I can't for the life of me remember/find it again).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”